Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Not so much a product per se, but what's the best site to get some deals on running shoes? Some on clearance for an actual good price? I can't justify $60+ for shoes anymore.

Campsaver.com and SteepandCheap are both decent, but $60 is usually a great sale price for good running shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

I don't really need good running shoes, just acceptable. I run 3 miles 3 times a week.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Then yea, try those to places. Theclymb.com is annoying to use, but has good deals sometimes.

I do have camping gear buying issues, why do you ask?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

various cheeses posted:

Is that a tiny comb?

The target audience does'nt have a lot of hair.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I know a few goons have posted about Logitech Harmony remotes.

Are they really worth the money? I currently need ~3+ remotes to control my TV (Sky, Amazon Fire Stick and the stock remote to flip between HDMI), I also have a Sonos sound system and Phillips Hue running throughout the house. so it would be nice to consolidate all this down to one device without having to fiddle about with my phone.

It's just £100-£250 for a universal remote seems ridiculous. Amazon have the Harmony Ultimate for £118 and the Elite for £245. Is the Elite really that much better?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Tea Bone posted:

It's just £100-£250 for a universal remote seems ridiculous. Amazon have the Harmony Ultimate for £118 and the Elite for £245. Is the Elite really that much better?

I haven't tried the Ultimate and Elite, but I do have the Harmony Hub and what I can tell you from research is that the Ultimate and Elite are essentially fixed-location devices that replace your phone. The way these hub-connected remotes work is instead of firing IR from the remote itself, they send a signal to the hub which blasts IR or sends a bluetooth command to a connected device, or multiple devices. They use activity settings to switch modes, so to speak, between different things you're doing. So for example if you need one thing to control volume and another thing needs to be switched to a different input, and you need yet another thing to control channels, selecting the appropriate activity will set your remote's functions accordingly and switch inputs to the appropriate setting.

All of this poo poo can be done with your phone over a wifi connection, so the purpose of the physical remote control is simply to have a device with a long battery life that's always in the same place. But the touchscreen is just like having your phone permanently set to the Harmony app. If all you want is home automation and a simple remote control, you can get the basic Hub and Simple Remote. The Simple Remote can do up to 6 different activities such that you could hit a button and it sets up your home theater and also dims the lights or whatever. The Ultimate and Elite have touchscreens, so you can have many more activities set up.

All of the functionality is really whatever you make of it, because you have to program the poo poo out of it. But at the end of the day, you could accomplish much the same thing by using your phone or a tablet. So really that's the question- Given you can accomplish the same poo poo with your phone and the Harmony Hub by itself, is the physical remote control worth the difference to you?

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
I'm looking for a wine fridge for beer. Looking to hold 18 to 30 bottles.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Are there any especially good or especially bad brands of robot vacuum cleaners or are they all much the same? I'm in Australia so I probably can't get half the brands in the US.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

I haven't tried the Ultimate and Elite, but I do have the Harmony Hub and what I can tell you from research is that the Ultimate and Elite are essentially fixed-location devices that replace your phone. The way these hub-connected remotes work is instead of firing IR from the remote itself, they send a signal to the hub which blasts IR or sends a bluetooth command to a connected device, or multiple devices. They use activity settings to switch modes, so to speak, between different things you're doing. So for example if you need one thing to control volume and another thing needs to be switched to a different input, and you need yet another thing to control channels, selecting the appropriate activity will set your remote's functions accordingly and switch inputs to the appropriate setting.

All of this poo poo can be done with your phone over a wifi connection, so the purpose of the physical remote control is simply to have a device with a long battery life that's always in the same place. But the touchscreen is just like having your phone permanently set to the Harmony app. If all you want is home automation and a simple remote control, you can get the basic Hub and Simple Remote. The Simple Remote can do up to 6 different activities such that you could hit a button and it sets up your home theater and also dims the lights or whatever. The Ultimate and Elite have touchscreens, so you can have many more activities set up.

All of the functionality is really whatever you make of it, because you have to program the poo poo out of it. But at the end of the day, you could accomplish much the same thing by using your phone or a tablet. So really that's the question- Given you can accomplish the same poo poo with your phone and the Harmony Hub by itself, is the physical remote control worth the difference to you?

Tea Bone posted:

Are they really worth the money? I currently need ~3+ remotes to control my TV (Sky, Amazon Fire Stick and the stock remote to flip between HDMI), I also have a Sonos sound system and Phillips Hue running throughout the house. so it would be nice to consolidate all this down to one device without having to fiddle about with my phone.

To add to what signalnoise said. I would recommend this version of the Harmony Hub

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Har...ch+home+control

This one has physical buttons that let you control your Philips Hue lights. You can long press it turn on and off and single press to adjust the brightness

I really like mine (I later bought a now discontinued Touch and paired it to my hub as an upgrade)

Also, they can be a bit fiddly to set up exactly the way you want it, but I really think it's worth the time. You will also want the phone app to fix any syncing issues

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Tea Bone posted:

No sure about Sonos integration, but I have a Harmony Smart, which is a simple remote and hub, and I absolutely love it. Years of having four or more remotes are a distant memory and the battery in the remote is very long lasting, owing to the lack of a display / backlighting.

Eta: the above is also controllable form a smartphone or tablet, but I rarely use that feature.

Red Dad Redemption has a new favorite as of 16:06 on Jul 23, 2016

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
I posted this question in this thread before but I want to get more input as I've narrowed down what I'm looking for.

So I bought these two backpacks with the intention of trying one and returning the other but I'm not utterly satisfied with either.
http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/tls-professional-slim-laptop-backpack/249582

and

http://ogio.com/backpacks/axle-pack

I love the understated yet sleek look of the ebags bag. The quality is fantastic and the lifetime warranty is very nice.
Although it's definitely more of a tech bag to bring into the office and that's exactly what it's made for but I'd like more utility without sacrificing the sleekness. The L shaped compartments are kind of strange.

The Ogio bag is crazy convenient (the side pockets are very convenient) but I hate the color scheme, and the fact that they think plastering their logo on almost every single inch of the it is a "feature" (not noticeable in photos but on every zipper, zipper pull, 3 times on the back, all over the lining, two or three times on the front,on both sides...what the gently caress?).
The fact that it looks like a regular child's backpack isn't that great either. It's Made in China and only has a year warranty.

Where it's made and warranty aren't THAT big of a deal but if I'm spending $75+ on a backpack, I'd like some reassurance/quality.

My long-winded question is.....anyone know of any bags that are a hybrid of these two? Sleek/professional look while maintaining a lot of utility (larger compartment(s) and more convenient storage).

E:I spent way more time than I'd like to admit on a post about backpacks.

travisray2004 has a new favorite as of 15:28 on Jul 25, 2016

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Organza Quiz posted:

Are there any especially good or especially bad brands of robot vacuum cleaners or are they all much the same? I'm in Australia so I probably can't get half the brands in the US.

Roomba is good, not-Roomba is bad.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

travisray2004 posted:

My long-winded question is.....anyone know of any bags that are a hybrid of these two? Sleek/professional look while maintaining a lot of utility (larger compartment(s) and more convenient storage..

Depends on if you want to spend a lot of money

https://www.tombihn.com/collections/backpacks

I have the Brain Bag and my wife uses a Synapse daily. They're both amazing.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Can anyone recommend a subscription shaving razor company? Seems like there are a few.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Chinaman7000 posted:

Can anyone recommend a subscription shaving razor company? Seems like there are a few.

Any reason you wouldn't get a safety razor and have a new blade every shave for a year for 20 bucks?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The dollar shave club just uses Dorco razors. You can buy a bunch of them right on Amazon and not have to subscribe to anything. Also, they are junk compared to just getting a safety razor.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Dollar shave club is decent, I like not having to worry about ever buying blades and it cuts hair off my face so mission accomplished.

Plus they have peppermint scented butt wipes which are A+. Every product I've tried so far has been nice, hair stuff especially.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I use Dollar Shave Club. I've cut my subscription down to every second month and ordered a second Handle.

The wife uses the blades to shave her legs and I'll use maybe one every month to edge out the beard.

No real complaints on my side. When I was keeping a clean face I could shave with a fresh blade once a week, which was nice.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Can anybody recommend a non-robot vacuum cleaner? Alternatively, if there is a robot vacuum cleaner that is capable of cleaning a 3 room apartment I'll gladly look at that too.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

Roomba is good, not-Roomba is bad.

Okay, looking at Roomba they have models ranging between $500 to like $1500. I have a small house with no carpet, just wooden floors and tiled bathrooms. Is this a case where the difference between basic and fancy models is handling carpet better and having a phone app and going months between emptying it out and being able to do huge houses or are the more basic models actually crap at vacuuming?

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
As with anything, check thesweethome.com for recommendations. For example, they have a long article specifically about choosing a robovac, even highlighting situations where the runner-up might be better. I've been looking at these things for a while and just last week pulled the trigger on the Roomba 650, happy with it so far.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

Any reason you wouldn't get a safety razor and have a new blade every shave for a year for 20 bucks?

Because it's 2016 and that poo poo is retarded?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's not retarded. The razors are super cheap and gives a cleaner shave with less irritation, at least on my face. You can buy 100 blades for like $7. I just use whatever shaving cream with it and it works great.

When I saw some online tutorials they were like 20 minutes long talking about how you need to prep your face and make the soap cream. I don't do any of that and it takes me less than 2 minutes to shave.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mu Zeta posted:

It's not retarded. The razors are super cheap and gives a cleaner shave with less irritation, at least on my face. You can buy 100 blades for like $7. I just use whatever shaving cream with it and it works great.

When I saw some online tutorials they were like 20 minutes long talking about how you need to prep your face and make the soap cream. I don't do any of that and it takes me less than 2 minutes to shave.

Yeah, I mean, there's an initial learning curve because you have to learn the grain direction of your hair, which no one does if they have been using 5 retarded blades their whole life

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah my shaving cream comes out of a can. When I first started using a safety razor, I did the whole badger brush and puck soap thing and I agree, that poo poo is retarded. But the safety razor itself is legit. You just stick a blade in it and get done fast. Most of the time I don't even have to use aftershave.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, I mean, there's an initial learning curve because you have to learn the grain direction of your hair, which no one does if they have been using 5 retarded blades their whole life
That can't be true. I've only used cartidges since I started shaving and if I try to shave against the grain on first pass its irritating and hurts like hell.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Just stop shaving. No irritation.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cage posted:

That can't be true. I've only used cartidges since I started shaving and if I try to shave against the grain on first pass its irritating and hurts like hell.

You shave with the grain on the first pass, you just have to know your grain. Most people that use cartridges don't, it's just a straight vertical downward shave.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

You'll definitely know your face better when you get used to a safety razor that's for sure

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

signalnoise posted:

You'll definitely know your face better when you get used to a safety razor that's for sure

Yup. My first outage with a safety razor (which I will also 100% recommend) I learned that the hair on my adam's apple just does whatever the gently caress it wants.
That was an interesting day at work.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Like that's the beauty of the 30 bladed razor cartridges, grain doesn't matter, drag blades across face, face is shaved. They also last for like a month each if you take a second to blast them with a hairdryer after use.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bongwizzard posted:

Like that's the beauty of the 30 bladed razor cartridges, grain doesn't matter, drag blades across face, face is shaved. They also last for like a month each if you take a second to blast them with a hairdryer after use.

So, when you buy refills, how many do you get, and how much does it cost you?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Doesn't really matter, the dude is willing to say that a personal preference in your own bathroom is retarded, and the difference in price is negligible if you're willing to shave with the same loving blades for a month.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

signalnoise posted:

Doesn't really matter, the dude is willing to say that a personal preference in your own bathroom is retarded, and the difference in price is negligible if you're willing to shave with the same loving blades for a month.

I also like the idea that wet shaving is retarded. But using 10 blades and then hitting it with a hair dryer is what the cool kids do.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I cannot fathom this hang up on price, of all the general cost-of-living expenses, is five or six dollar razor cartridge every month/week really the most efficient place to save money? Hell, if you are that price sensitive there are really cheap cartridge plays out there, I just like the one with the little blade on top for getting right above my mustache, that guy kicks rear end.

Like, why not then go whole hog just get a straight razor and strope? That way, you don't drop it, you can use the same razor for the rest of your life.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

bongwizzard posted:

I cannot fathom this hang up on price, of all the general cost-of-living expenses, is five or six dollar razor cartridge every month/week really the most efficient place to save money? Hell, if you are that price sensitive there are really cheap cartridge plays out there, I just like the one with the little blade on top for getting right above my mustache, that guy kicks rear end.

Like, why not then go whole hog just get a straight razor and strope? That way, you don't drop it, you can use the same razor for the rest of your life.

Why not indeed? I've been using a straight razor for the last 4 years. Takes 0 extra minutes, nothing to replace. Just get it sharpened every year or so. It paid for itself after the first year of not buying $5 razor cartridges.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Got some people bristling up because of this hairy derail

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I only shave my neck and line the top of my beard. Last October I started wet shaving and I'm not even half-way through the cheap pack of razors I bought. If I spent $100, I would have enough razors for the rest of my life.

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I stopped shaving and grew a beard. I use all the time I save not shaving to read posts about people shaving wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Also, I bought this during the last Nashbar 25% off sale, and it's been surprisingly good and not poo poo.