Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
The screening I went to on Thursday for Ghostbusters wasn't barren, but it certainly wasn't crowded. I was the only person in the lower tier seats and less than half of the upper tier was full. Sure, it was a 7:30 show on a Thursday, but still a pretty poor turnout.

The movie was ok but I would have like a little more delving into or at least hints of the paranormal setting. The villain muttered some doomsday poo poo a couple times and had some spooky drawings and that was about all of the meta-setting we got. The original had a named god with named assistants and possessed humans with ritual roles to play (gatekeeper/key master)and brief glances into another dimension with some actual ruins or something that did a good job of hinting at a rich world behind the scenes. The "other side" in the new movie was just green swirly smoke. It would have also been nice if the government spooks actually had some involvement and felt somewhat competent, like already having protocols and containment procedures that work on a small scale (rituals, prayers, symbols, candles, incense) but they suck compared to the new poo poo the girls were packing. That would really drive home the vagina power message. I was ok with the idea of a dumb, pretty male receptionist, but the execution was pretty terrible.

I really liked Kate McKinnon in the movie, but I just took a look at her, uh, oeuvre and wasn't terribly interested in anything there. Maybe she can leverage this lukewarm filler of a movie into some other roles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

https://twitter.com/ryandowney/status/751876861215383552

Good stuff.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Jesus, I'm glad I don't buy toys on the reg like some of my nerd brethren. $16.99 on clearance? Do the figures suck your dick?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

It depends on the movie. all the stars wars figures were picked clean for weeks before the movie. plus you can get better Ghostbusters figures online.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Pvt.Scott posted:

Jesus, I'm glad I don't buy toys on the reg like some of my nerd brethren. $16.99 on clearance? Do the figures suck your dick?

Originally $20. lol

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It depends on the movie. all the stars wars figures were picked clean for weeks before the movie. plus you can get better Ghostbusters figures online.

nobody would be crazy enough to believe that their movie could match the hype of star wars..right?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Yup. when I was a kid I wanted all the toys

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BillmasterCozb posted:

nobody would be crazy enough to believe that their movie could match the hype of star wars..right?

maybe. who knows. the problem is the toys are boring, the original ghostbuster figures(cartoons too) made a poo poo ton of different weird ones and tons of ghosts. the new ones only have like 3 loving ghots. the rest are boring main cast figures. as someone said in the twitter comments "kids don't want to buy frumpy looking middle aged women figures wearing road construction outfits"

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
source your /tv/ quotes please

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The toys for the cartoon were almost reused ninja turtles toys

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

maybe. who knows. the problem is the toys are boring, the original ghostbuster figures(cartoons too) made a poo poo ton of different weird ones and tons of ghosts. the new ones only have like 3 loving ghots. the rest are boring main cast figures. as someone said in the twitter comments "kids don't want to buy frumpy looking middle aged women figures wearing road construction outfits"

I said if they'd been in the GIJoe scale for under $10 you might get some more impulse buys on them. You could sell a cheap Ecto-1 car that fit them for under $20. etc.

My store has the GB2016 figures in teh same aisle as wrestling, GI Joe, DC/Marvel, etc. action figures. Meanwhile, just a few aisle over in the 'dolls' aisle they have (for about $10-20) these female action figures that are aimed at the young girl market:
http://www.target.com/c/toys/dc-super-hero-girls/-/N-5xtb0Z4ut77

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Don't care...

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

So, I saw a thing.

I guess I should back up a bit first and explain my entire experience going to see this film. A few weeks ago a buddy of mine who is a big time fan of Ghostbusters asked if I'd be interested in having a small get together/viewing party for some of the more hardcore GB16 fans. Since I figured the film needed as much positive energy as possible, I was keen as mustard.

I should preface this with a little backstory about my friend Topher; He's always been a direhard GB fan (whereas I have never seen the first film, and TBQH i honestly don't think I want to after all the hate from the fans of the original) and he does a LOT of charity stuff using the Ghostbusters. To put it in perspective, he's pretty much the biggest name in Ghostbusters fandom in the entire South Bay/Santa Clara area. Him and some other buddies dress up as the GBs and do charity events/fundraisers/visit hospitals and the like, all out of pocket out of a love for both the film and charity work. A few years back he was actually able to get his hands on a 1959 Cadillac Professional chassis, which for those of you who have been living under a rock is the Ecto-1 from the original Ghostbusters film. Toph spent three years and a pretty penny having the thing done up to look like an exact replica from the film, even down to the siren.

Now, I had always been sort of ambivalent to the whole thing. Honestly, I kind of thought it was a waste of money. But if Topher said it made him happy, then I was happy for him. Cut to my sudden wellspring of interest for GB16. Toph knew I was a diehard Feighead and when GB16 season finally rolled around he asked me if I wanted to accompany him and a few of our mutuals who were going to dress up in full GB cosplay and pull up to the Ecto-1 theatre with the siren and GB16 theme blaring and everything, basically making a huge entrance and showing everyone that the REAL fans of this film were happy to see it opening night. Again, naturally, I jumped at the occasion. Not gonna lie, I had been having a pretty hard year up until that point. Not gonna get into specifics, but let's just say that constantly arguing with Ghostbros and Haters every day was taking it's toll on me. I definitely needed a fun, carefree night out.

We spent weeks getting all the preparations just so. Since I decided I'm going to take a break for a while from College, I used the money I was going to put towards classes this semester and went out and bought a BUNCH of GB16 merch. Like, an ungodly amount. My sister still insists that I'm slowly turning into a hoarder, but I know for a fact that a LOT of this stuff is going to be really rare and valuable some day. Plus, I knew that buying every piece of merch for this film in sight was in my own small way helping Feig and co. fight the good fight against the misogynists and sexists, so it really filled me with a sense of pride. We went all out with this. I had my costume fitted by a professional tailor weeks in advance just for the occasion. Green slime twinkies, Candy, GB16 PArty City party favor stuff, the works. And of course, literal cases upon cases of of Ecto Cooler (seriously, if you're in the Bay Area and can't find any, it's probably our fault. #sorrynotsorry :v: ). Things were looking to be the makings of a fantastic night. Friday morning we loaded up the ECTO-1 with the goods, donned our trademark outfits and set out to see the biggest comedy event of the year.

I'm not going to lie to you, pulling out of Topher's driveway and speeding down the road with the lights, siren, and theme song going (Toph added bonnet-mounted speakers just so people can hear us blast the theme) was absolutely exhilarating. It was pretty much the closest thing anyone can get to being a real Ghostbuster. Pun intended :v: . Seriously though, it was absolutely incredible. Just seeing the look on people's faces as we passed them by was worth a thousand words. People were pointing and cheering, some filming with their cell phones. There was even a guy who was holding a sign advertising a furniture store who actually started dancing and spinning the sign, throwing it up in the air and everything! All just for us! It really warmed my heart to see everyone so filled with joy thanks to us.

It really was the peak of the day. We had the theme going on loop (GB16/Fallout boy version for authenticity, plus Tophs ipod touch that had the original theme on it died because he forgot to charge it) Our two other friends Gregg and Tim, also huge GB heads, were in the backseat, singing along with us, cracking Ecto-Coolers, opening Twinkies, and passing them up to us. It really was the highlight of what ended up being a pretty rough night. I guess I can't stall any more, so I'll just explain what happened next.

Over the past few months, I had become a GIGANTIC Holtzmann-head. (Seriously, Kate McKinnon is like, literally my favourite person on the planet right now. I absolutely adore how she mugs for the camera literally every time she's on screen, it's the cutest and funniest thing in the world and I was absolutely smitten by the end of the film...is she single? Hey, where's there's hope there's good fortune as my great-grandfather used to say! :) ) and we were all quoting our favourite lines from the trailers. Tim actually got one of the quotes wrong, which, on any other day I'd let pass but, well, today was GB16 day and I was not having it. We got into what eventually became a kinda heated argument about it until Toph decided to settle it by looking the quote up on his iPad. He turned around to show us the actual quote (I was right, of course #humblebrag) but unfortunately that's when the night took a turn for the worse.

Maybe it was the excitement, maybe it was all the Ecto-cooler, maybe the theme song was being cranked too loud. Maybe it was the siren. Honestly at this point I'm still not even sure, but I guess Topher missed a red light while he was mediating our spat and missed it and sped into an intersection. Next thing I knew there was a huge crash and the sound of glass breaking.

Toph had ran a red light into the intersection and we got t-boned by a tractor trailer. The Ecto-1 actually got flipped in the process, and skidded for several feet until finally knocking down a Dairy Queen sign and grinding to a halt. You know how in Call of Duty when the character takes a hit and he's all disoriented at first? Well, it was just like that, except a LOT scarier. I crawled out from the wreckage and surveyed the scene. The ECTO-1 was totaled, with smoke coming out of it. The front of the tractor trailer was a mess, but otherwise intact. Ironically, it was actually a Twinkie delivery truck with a huge GB16 ad on the side. Slimer's huge face smiled at me, almost as if he was mocking me. There were juice boxes and cans of Ecto-cooler everywhere, mixed with crushed Green Slime Twinkies, along with bits of metal, plastic, and broken glass all over the road. The smell of spilled Ecto Cooler, brunt rubber, and engine fluid filled the hot July air.

I literally think Harold Ramis was honestly watching over us last night because amazingly no one was seriously injured. We all had minor cuts, scrapes and bruises and the like, but otherwise fine. The truck driver was fine and already over on the sidewalk on the phone with 911. Gregg had a minor panic attack when he initially couldn't get free from the vehicle because his replica proton pack was stuck, but eventually we convinced him to ditch it and take it off so he could get free. I gave him a Green Slime Twinkie and he seemed to calm down a bit. I sat down on the curb. By this point I was pretty bummed. We were most certainly going to miss the 7:00 showing (arguably the biggest showing of a Friday night), the ECTO-1 was totaled beyond salvage, and the police had found Topher to be at fault, and took him downtown for booking for the night. Pardon the pun, but our 'spirits' were pretty low. That's when suddenly a can of Ecto-Cooler rolled over and hit my boot.

Now, this was a completely windless and still night. No gusts at all, no reason for this can to roll over to me. But, honestly, I took it as a sign. A sign that no matter what, Ghostbusters don't give up, despite any setbacks or sexism they may face. I felt like I could practically see Harold Ramis' ghost smiling at me and gesturing to the movie theater down the block. I cracked it open and took a sip. It felt powerful. The tangy orange flavor simultaneously quenched my thirst and filled me with a burning desire in my throat and I suddenly gained my second wind. I triumphantly stood up I explained to my friends that we were still going to see this film, injuries or accidents be damned. At first they didn't want to, but I explained to them the revelation I had just had and how the Ghostbusters never give up, and by the end of my speech they were on board completely.

We hailed a cab and made our way to the theater. By that point it was about 9pm and we still had a chance of making the last showing. We finally arrived and made our way to the box office. After we got our tickets however, our courage was again tested. As we were in line getting our bags of Popcorn and sodas, two of the most bro-ish, dick-ish looking bros swaggered out of an Independence Day 2 showing (apparently that violent piece of crap film is still making the rounds), literally throwing their snack garbage onto the floor for the employees to clean up. One was tall and gangly, wearing a trenchcoat, camo shorts, combat boots and (ugh) as Washington Redskins cap. The other was some short fat douche in a tracksuit and a "make america great again" hat. They took one look at us, gave a knowing smile towards each other, and from that moment on I knew they wanted to start some crap. I tried my best to channel my inner Holtzmann and stared off into space, mugging at an invisible "camera." Sure enough though, they come up to us with some bullshit.

I've conviently layed out this convo using emoticons:

Me: :what:
Douche 1: :mrapig:
Douche 2: :gary:

:mrapig: : "Well well well, whatta we have here bro? Looks like a coupla CUCKS who actually want to see that Femenazi Trash, the new Ghostbusters!

:gary: :"Huh huh! Yeah, boss! That's funny! Cucks!" , they laughed to each other like hyinas. I kept my cool, though, and used my trademark acid tongue to give them a verbal tongue lashing they'd soon not forget."

:what: :"Aww, how cute," I cooed, "The Troglodytes graduated into 5th grade and learned a new insult. How clever." I said while rolling my eyes. That seemed to really prick the short one.

:mrapig: :"You actually mean to tell me people want to see this Trash? Can't believe you're giving Paul FAG (author's note:the director, Paul Feig, has had to deal with a literal torrent of abuse from these sorts of cavemen, and they all have the same one note, uncreative joke: changing his last name into a hurtful, hateful slur pejorative used to describe gay folk) any of your money!"

:what: :"Not only am I giving him my money tonight", I parry'd, "I'm going every night this week! So why don't you buzz off, bozo! I'm sure there's a NASCAR game you can go home and watch"

"Ooohhhh, epic burn", my friends said, backing me up.

Well, that really seemed to anger him. His face turned beet red and he started shouting at me. By this point most of the people waiting in line began to notice us.

:mrapig: : "YOU LISTEN HERE YOU MANGINA, I DON'T GIVE TWO CRAPS ABOUT YOU AND YOUR FRIENDS THNIK!!!!! THIS MOVIE IS TRASH!!!!! YOU ARE loving TRASH! THIS MOVIE WAS MADE TO FORCE FEMENAZI BULLCRAP ON INNOCENT MALE GHOST BUSTERS FANS OF THE ORIGINAL 1984 CLASSIC!!! WOMEN CAN'T BE GHOSTBUSTERS, NOR HOLD PRESTIGIOUS POSITIONS IN THE STEM FIELD!!! THEY BELONG IN THE KITCHEN MAKING ME A SANDWICH! ALTHOUGH I BET MELLISSA MCCARTHY ALREADY ATE THEM ALL WITH HER FAT rear end!!"

Well, that about it did it for me. Insult me all you like, but no one disses Mama Bear (seriously, I was a huge M.Mccarthy fan going way back to her Mike and Molly days. if you haven't seen this amazingly hilarious and touching show you can get almost all the episodes on dvd/hulu/amazon instant. I highly recommend) and we had already been through *way* too much poo poo tonight. In a sudden burst of rage I shoved him hard, and him and his buddy toppled over each other and fell clear through an Angry Birds cardboard cutout and right into a big candy rack and soda dispenser. They were covered in soda and cotton candy, raisinettes and mike and ikes. Essentially tarred and feathered, film buff style. Humiliated, they immediately got up and high tailed it out of there, clearly humiliated. On the floor, I noticed the one bro was so scared he dropped his MAGA hat and had left it behind. I picked it up and waved it at them as they fled.

"YOU FORGOT THIS, YOU SEXIST PRICKS!" I yelled triumphantly throwing it to the ground and stomping it with my boot.

While my rage was still ringing in my ears, I eventually heard a sound I don't usually hear. At first I thought it was just popcorn popping, but it was actually applause. I turned around to see the entire lobby applauding and cheering for us. For once, Brains had triumphed over violent and bigoted brawn. The manager at the theater came up to me and personally thanked me, saying they had been having problems with those two particular trouble makers for quite some time. I told them it was all in a days work. Right after that, a woman approached me. Turns out she was a retired female astronaut, and had heard the whole thing. She actually begin crying as she told me how brave I was for sticking up for women in the STEM field. I was humbled by her candor. We embraced for a moment while she wept, and I told her everything was alright now, the Ghostbusters were here.

At that exact moment, the manager started pumping the GB theme through the lobby speakers. I stood up, dusted myself off, and put my fist in the air as we danced to our theater. Everyone was clapping, dancing and chanting "Ghost-busters! Ghost-busters!" as we triumphantly made our way to see what we'd been waiting all this time to see.

Inside, the theater was completely empty (Makes sense though honestly. it was a p.late showing, you rarely see people at 9pm Friday night showings so it didn't bother me much. Didn't bother me much at all really.) so we had our pick of seats. We sat down front and center, and let the magic wash over us. Two hours later, I felt like I had been reborn.

So how did it stack up? Well, after everything is said and done: loving fantastic. Seriously, best movie of 2016, possibly of the 2010s. It's the best Ghostbusters for sure. (Well, full disclosure: I've only seen bits and pieces of the first film on tv here and there but overall this seemed like a MUCH better film.) And it was effing hilarious. There were scenes that had me literally rolling in the aisles crying with laughter. The cameos were hilarious and on point, too. Particularly Bill Murray's, you could really tell that he wanted to be there. And it was scary as all get out. I'm glad I had my plush slimer with me because honestly I needed to hide under it a few different times during this. The ghosts looked amazing, mad props to the aCgi Dept on this one because the ghosts literally looked real. It was that scary. Thankfully the G-busters were there to clean house. Seriously, the action scenes in this are enthralling and perfectly shot. This chicks will make you laugh,mbut they can also kick serious butt. What Paul Feig and Co. have done here is absolutely wonderful and spell binding. This is a de-factor tour de fource of cinema, how movies should be made, period. I mean, don't get me wrong. Even I admit it's not the most intellectual of films. This isn't some deep, nuanced art flick like Citizen Kane or Hunger Games or something. This is a fun popcorn flick you go see to forget about life's woes for a few hours. As long as you don't go in like a Grumpy Gus™, are willing to switch your brain off and enjoy something for once, you're going to have a great time.

Moreover, this film is Imporant. It's important, because it shows young girls that they can have something to look up to. That women *can* be Ghostbusters, and they *can* become prominent and famous in the world of STEM and the like. I don't have a daughter, but if I did you can drat be sure I'd be taking her to this every night, wether she wanted to see it again or not. It's literally that imperative to me. This film should be mandatory viewing for all Grade school and College students. Hopefully the Library of Congress decides to add this gem to it's storied collection sooner rather than later. It is just that good.

As I type this, I'm putting the finishing touches on a GB16 cake me and the gang made for Topher. Seeing as he wont be released until Monday, we decided to surprise him at the lockup with a GB16 cake and some Green Slime Twinkies and Ecto-Cooler we managed to salvage from the side of the road. We're going to have a mini-GB16 party right there in the precinct before we leave to go see it again tonight. As I put the finishing touches on this cake I really realize the power cinema truly has to transport us to another world, thrill us, chill us, make us laugh, cry, and cheer. That's just how drat powerful Cinema can be. Cinema has the power to change society for the better. That I think is the most humbling thing about all this. And it's why I wholeheartedly recommend this film to literally anyone with a pulse who still has a heart and a sense of wonder and humor. After all the years of months and hate, after all the internet debates, after all the poop-slinging and attacks on the filmmakers character, I can truly say it delivers. This is a film who's praises deserve to be shouted from the mountain tops for all to hear. It is nothing short of a masterpiece. Ghostheads and non-ghostheads alike, everyone who still has shred of joy left in their hearts will love this film.

Verdict: Bustin' Makes Us All Feel Good, Man or Woman. Stop reading this post, drop what you are doing, and run out and see GB16 right this instant. Case closed. Here's hoping the subsequent sequels are greenlit post haste.

5/5 stars.

:allears: :love:

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

What the gently caress did I just read?

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

max4me posted:

What the gently caress did I just read?

Either a masterstroke of satire, or the most scathing indictment of Reagan's policy of deinstitutionalization ever seen by human eyes.

Diesel Fucker
Aug 14, 2003

I spent my rent money on tentacle porn.
Seen a few people on social media coming out with the argument,

"Well if you hate a film going in of course you'll hate it!"

And they have no self realisation that maybe it works the other way too. If you've been championing and raving about a film you're just as biased when you watch it. Hahaha.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Whatever happened to that fat activist guy who tweeted his Ghostbusters toys beating Jon Snow up?

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
Hahaha that is amazing satire. Keen like mustard. That is a good one.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

GOON READING "A MODEST PROPOSAL": Heh, source your quotes much?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Thanks to the internet you can probably read the writings of someone who sincerely thinks eating irish babies is a good idea.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

"ghostbros"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ok seriously. they have the worst PR ever.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/

Ghostbusters is the only movie with a decrease from Friday to Saturday. The other movies are seeing increases of 30-45%. The one with the smallest increase is 24.6%.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Decent Friday though.

e: Lost to Secret Life of Pets on its second day. That's gotta sting.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Whatever happened to that fat activist guy who tweeted his Ghostbusters toys beating Jon Snow up?

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

Stop reading this post

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Germstore posted:

Decent Friday though.

e: Lost to Secret Life of Pets on its second day. That's gotta sting.

Ghostbusters is the #1 Friday movie in America!

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Pvt.Scott posted:

The screening I went to on Thursday for Ghostbusters wasn't barren, but it certainly wasn't crowded. I was the only person in the lower tier seats and less than half of the upper tier was full. Sure, it was a 7:30 show on a Thursday, but still a pretty poor turnout.

Just a note, ever since theaters stopped doing midnight shows and started doing 7:00 releases, attendance has been way down for Thursdsy night previews except for really big tent pole action movies like Avengers or Star Wars. Comedies in general do relatively poorly in that slot. Ghostbusters Thurs. gross of about 3.4 mil is actually pretty good seen in that light.

Since then it has dropped somewhat, so it is definitely not a runaway hit. But at this point it is not likely to flop.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

There's forums out there full of people posting similar things, but for real

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

GOON READING "A MODEST PROPOSAL": Heh, source your quotes much?

CineD goons have written similar things unironically

caleramaen posted:

Since then it has dropped somewhat, so it is definitely not a runaway hit. But at this point it is not likely to flop.

It's likely to flop or break even not just not bomb. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it dropped to fourth after Lights Out and ST Beyond come out

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 17, 2016

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

caleramaen posted:

Just a note, ever since theaters stopped doing midnight shows and started doing 7:00 releases, attendance has been way down for Thursdsy night previews except for really big tent pole action movies like Avengers or Star Wars. Comedies in general do relatively poorly in that slot. Ghostbusters Thurs. gross of about 3.4 mil is actually pretty good seen in that light.

I figured it was something like that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

NutritiousSnack posted:

CineD goons have written similar things unironically

It's likely to flop or break even not just not bomb. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it dropped to fourth after Lights Out and ST Beyond if it dropped to fourth

pretty much. it picked a bad month to come out. plus word of mouth/various reviews/the retarded PR campaigns didn't help

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

XK posted:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/

Ghostbusters is the only movie with a decrease from Friday to Saturday. The other movies are seeing increases of 30-45%. The one with the smallest increase is 24.6%.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

it already made a profit.

LOL

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Applewhite posted:

When was the last time you saw a fantasy hero battle a rad skeleton? A while, right? That's because skeletons are bad luck in China so they're not allowed in films anymore.

I genuinely don't know. When did this happen? When was the last hero-skeleton fight in a major movie?

darth_pizza posted:

I will gladly watch that over Star Trek : The Motion Picture, which is the only film I've ever seen that should have come with an amphetamine suppository, so you can stay awake during it.

If you're not doing drugs while watching that movie, you're missing the point.

I think the most damning reason I won't see it is an interview on NPR this week with the creators talking about how they were writing "from life" while the controversy was going on. Like they went into the preproduction process having already generated buzz both positive and negative, and hadn't even started on the story or anything else. Instead they wrote a scant plot based on an already existing plot and instead of focusing on writing actual jokes, they would write to respond to criticism from people on the Internet. That's it. That's their writing process. "Writing from life". And they're happy about it. Guess what failures: if your life is responding to internet trolls, your life is boring.

Norm MacDonald once said that there are two kinds of comedians out there: those who write "jokes" to show that they're smarter than everyone else, and those who are actually funny.

That and if I did see this, it would be the third or forth movie remake/sequel this year where half the script/screen time is just that Conan O'Brien sketch "Memba this?" (Seriously, gently caress Independence Day!)

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Kermode of course had to play to his liberal audience but still says he thinks its okay and that frankly to him means it has not met his expectations. He also thankfully didn't try to play up the movie by making GBS threads on the original.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

My Q-Face posted:

I genuinely don't know. When did this happen? When was the last hero-skeleton fight in a major movie?

Pirates of the Caribbean.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

That's counting the 10 million tax break too, without considering marketing or distribution costs (which is in the tens of millions area)

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
i dont understand why cineD wants this movie to be a success so bad, what's wrong with it just being a lovely movie that failed, happens all the time

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Paladinus posted:

Pirates of the Caribbean.

That was a pretty big success. How did it do in China?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Do it ironically posted:

i dont understand why cineD wants this movie to be a success so bad, what's wrong with it just being a lovely movie that failed, happens all the time

because they had hope for it and they want everyone else to share that hope

• Locked thread