Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

radmonger posted:

If the opposition does its minimal job, there is no way Brexit will happen within the lifetime of the current Parliament.Her majority is so tiny she is going to have all her ducks in a row before trying; a minibus full of rebels could bring her government down. Boris Johnson is no doubt already planning his next leadership bid ('I was for Brexit, but not _this_ Brexit'). If May goes for an early election, there could be two before an enabling act passes.

Are Corbyn's supporters planning for him to be lose both elections, or just the one?

This is sheer fantasy, and in any case it'll be Labour's election manifesto that sets down the party's position on whether they'll try walking back Brexit or not in the unlikely circumstance of a snap general election, rather than what Corbyn said just after the referendum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

both parties stay in power until something forces a change and then the other one gets a turn

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Hail Satan.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Xmas Pterodactyl posted:

(whether we would be kicked out after 2 years is probably unlikely, though the deadline approaching really puts more power into hands of the EU)

Once article 50 is invoked, we are leaving the EU. If no agreement is reached, all EU treaties stop applying to us 2 years later - it's not 'being kicked out' - it's a direct consequence of invoking A50.

It's a really short article, and Very clear: the only wriggle room is if All 27 EU members vote to extend the negotiation time, but there is *no* way to back out once started.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Well, we could probably Brexit and then instantly re-enter if we and the EU wanted it enough. That would take unanimous consent, though, same as delaying the negotiating process.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus posted:

Given her ethnicity, that probably is a racist death threat. 'Drive them into the sea' and all that.
I think it's a reference to Moses' parting of the waters and a sign of more antisemitism from the Labour hard left.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Cerv posted:

wishful thinking. once May's cabinet have decided their exit strategy the Tories will whip for it. Labour MPs with seats that voted leave aren't might abstain but they certainly won't vote against. unless they're feeling suicidal.

Well that depends on a) the details of the strategy and b) it getting anywhere near the House. Officially, as it's simply activating part of a treaty already approved by Parliament, there's no need at all for a vote. I wonder actually how the referendum result broke down by constituency? I have a feeling there might actually be a very slight majority for Remain, counted that way, simply because the Leave-winning areas went Leave by a far greater amount. I suspect any kind of Commons vote on it would be an absolute bloodbath on both sides so I can see May just going "Nope, referendum has spoken".

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Gosh, I wonder where Smith could have got his radical idea of being pro-prosperity and anti-austerity?

One of Corbyn's first speeches as leader posted:

In a seminar with economists, academics and trade unionists in London, the Islington North MP said that his Labour 2020 plan would build a "rebalanced and prosperity-focused" economy, based on growth and high-quality jobs, arguing that "you just cannot cut your way to prosperity".

He called for the establishment of a National Investment Bank to support housing, transport, digital and energy infrastructure and innovation, funded by "large reductions" in the £93 billion bill for corporate tax reliefs and subsidies.

"Labour will close the deficit through building a strong, growing economy that works for all, not by increasing poverty," Mr Corbyn said.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jeremy-corbyn-promises-tax-rich-6118320

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ronya posted:

but since you bring it up... there's certainly a strand of thinker that holds that 1) finance, as an industry, is value-subtracting, 2) triangulation is a lie and the only electoral success can come from awakening a nascent leftist worker consciousness, 3) global financial capitalism is only making the inevitable collapse ever harsher and radical transformation to a wholly different economy must happen now

well if you hold all of those then I'm certainly going to raise an eyebrow if, when given a sniff of power, you suddenly start mumbling about the importance of derivatives clearing houses to the economy

Well, what if 2) is something that will take some time to achieve, and 3) requires being elected in the meantime, and then transitioning as smoothly as possible? The status quo has been built up with a strong foundation, with both main parties taking the same general line, the national media reporting the same - are the circumstances right for diving right in with a full leftism platform? Or does it make more sense to run with a generally leftist, pragmatic platform, and then start to shift things when you have actual power

ronya posted:

that aside, the year is 2016. My inclination is that much of Labour internally does not see being pro-business as a concession to the right-wing. If anything, everyone really loves the position of being "for- business" and will go to great lengths to present this message to the public; being "left" just means qualifying it in some localist sense - SMEs, cooperatives, fairtrade, etc.

Well yeah, that's sort of what I mean - some of these things are so normalised that it makes more sense to keep the peace. As for messaging, of course everyone wants to be 'pro-business', because a) that's a 'good thing' in the public narrative and b) everyone is 'pro-business' in some sense since that's where people work. Did you look at the Corbyn for Business policies though? They're not generally what politicians mean when they say 'pro-business'

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

pumpinglemma posted:

Well, we could probably Brexit and then instantly re-enter if we and the EU wanted it enough. That would take unanimous consent, though, same as delaying the negotiating process.

The EU would love that because we'd lose all of the concessions we've carved out over the years. Is Schengen an absolute requirement for entering now or not?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

If you've still somehow got stuck on trying to avert Brexit despite literally everything that's happened you need to start thinking of extra-parliamentary means to make it impossible rather than desperately hoping some party official promises they'll take it back and that the UK didn't mean it to begin with.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

article 50 is going to be activated before the next election unless may calls for a snap election, and if that happens labour's not getting into government anyway

calling a referendum and then ignoring it is seriously bad politics, nobody's going to do it

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Article 50 might be revocable on change of government or referendum result, depending on the legalities. For one, it would be silly for someone to win an election on a promise to not leave the EU, and then the EU tell them they have to leave because of the previous government. We'll probably end up leaving regardless, but its not a certainly once article 50 is invoked.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

calling a referendum and then ignoring it is seriously bad politics, nobody's going to do it

stop

think about what you just said

I agree but this is probably the strongest argument that it's going to happen i've ever seen

all aboard the governmental incompetence train choo choo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

they can probably just defer brexit until everyone forgets about it and nobody gets too upset because other things have come up

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

nothing to seehere posted:

Article 50 might be revocable on change of government or referendum result, depending on the legalities. For one, it would be silly for someone to win an election on a promise to not leave the EU, and then the EU tell them they have to leave because of the previous government. We'll probably end up leaving regardless, but its not a certainly once article 50 is invoked.

This is also sheer fantasy. Once article 50 is invoked anything that the U.K. does is irrelevant, because the EU sure as gently caress isn't going to let you walk it back. There isn't anything silly about this, it's simply how bilateral agreements work. You don't get to unilaterally change the rules just because you as a country change your mind.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Knowing our cartoon villain government, they'll weigh up thier options and then pick whichever one's the worst possible.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Cerebral Bore posted:

This is also sheer fantasy. Once article 50 is invoked anything that the U.K. does is irrelevant, because the EU sure as gently caress isn't going to let you walk it back. There isn't anything silly about this, it's simply how bilateral agreements work. You don't get to unilaterally change the rules just because you as a country change your mind.

I agree, in that situation the best we could hope for would be a negotiated rejoin before the end of the 2 year period with most if not all of our current concessions lost.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

I agree, in that situation the best we could hope for would be a negotiated rejoin before the end of the 2 year period with most if not all of our current concessions lost.

Leading to a fantastic stabbed in the back rhetorical club for the far right to use to kick-start their terror campaign against everyone.

It doesn't loving matter how good or bad Brexit is actually going to be, you need to have the masses on your side before you even think of doing anything except a pretty severe Brexit.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

I'm sorry for taking the word of A House of Lords report on the brexit process over a stranger on the internet.

Professor Wyatt, Oxford law professor and expert in EU law posted:

"There is nothing in the wording to say that you cannot. It is in accord
with the general aims of the Treaties that people stay in rather than rush
out of the exit door. There is also the specific provision in Article 50
to the effect that, if a State withdraws, it has to apply to rejoin de novo.
That only applies once you have left. If you could not change your mind
after a year of thinking about it, but before you had withdrawn, you
would then have to wait another year, withdraw and then apply to join
again. That just does not make sense. Analysis of the text suggests that
you are entitled to change your mind"

Whether it is a good idea is another matter, but the legalities are that its definitely an option.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

I'm sorry for taking the word of A House of Lords report on the brexit process over a stranger on the internet.

Whether it is a good idea is another matter, but the legalities are that its definitely an option.

What the House of Lords thinks is also irrelevant. The EU isn't going to accept that argument for political reasons, and the courts won't touch it with a ten-foot pole.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tesseraction posted:

Someone hates fun.

That poo poo was fun for about 5 minutes & then got run into the ground and kept going for far too long. You know, like everything on the internet. A politician pretending to read it like they were being told to go drown is the first time it's been funny in an age.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

namesake posted:

Leading to a fantastic stabbed in the back rhetorical club for the far right to use to kick-start their terror campaign against everyone.

It doesn't loving matter how good or bad Brexit is actually going to be, you need to have the masses on your side before you even think of doing anything except a pretty severe Brexit.

Anything other than rainbows and unicorns in a 50's UK that never existed is going to lead to that "stabbed in the back" rhetorical club, but I was responding to the specific idea that during the two year period after invocation we'd be able to call backsies on Article 50 and agreeing with Cerebral Bore that it wasn't going to happen. As for masses we were talking about a hypothetical where a party wins a majority in a general election during the two year period with "Stay in the EU" as a major plank of their manifesto, so it's not ignoring or reverting Brexit against the will of the masses but imagining a situation which could only result from the masses having changed their minds due to emergent circumstances. Not going to happen but talking about it beats sitting here feeling like crawling into a bottle and never coming out.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

If you read the section that's taken from, it's Not that cut and dry:

The Select Committee on the European Union posted:

Professor Derrick Wyatt: Yes, very briefly. I think law and politics might not go in the same direction. The reason I think it is possible in law to change the country’s mind before withdrawal is that there is nothing in the wording to say that you cannot. It is in accord with the general aims of the treaties that people stay in rather than rush out of the exit door. There is also the specific provision in Article 50 to the effect that, if a state withdraws, it has to apply to rejoin de novo. That only applies once you have left. If you could not change your mind after a year of thinking about it, but before you had withdrawn, you would then have to wait another year, withdraw and then apply to join again. That just does not make sense. Analysis of the text suggests that you are entitled to change your mind, but the politics of it would be completely different.

Earl of Caithness: If we changed our mind, would we go back in exactly where we left off, with our rebate as we are today? I was a little confused by Sir David, who said that there would be no more opt-outs.

Sir David Edward: I am saying that they might say, “We will let you change your mind, but there will be no more opt-outs”.

Earl of Caithness: At the end of the day they have a veto.

Sir David Edward: It is political. Let us take two businessmen dealing with a contract. There is an agreement that provides the terms on which you can withdraw from the contract. They get into negotiations and then suddenly, after a lot of time and money have been spent, the one who wants to get out of the agreement says, “No, I have changed my mind”. The other one might say, “Yes, all right; I will let you change your mind but I will insist on different terms”.

Lord Davies of Stamford: But you cannot do that because the contract remains valid until it is actually changed.

Sir David Edward: It depends on the terms of the contract.

Lord Davies of Stamford: In this case the contract remains valid until it is actually changed.

Sir David Edward: I began by saying it is a matter of politics. I do not think that the politics are as easy as saying, “The negotiations are over and we are back where we started”.

The Chairman: As if nothing had ever happened, as it were.

So, it's legally possible to say 'Opps, we didn't mean it', but politicly impossible - and the EU has a veto on any negotiations (and all they have to do is drag it out for the rest of the 2 years for us to be Out regardless).
Add in that a lot of the EU is sick of our special-snowflake poo poo, and it's not going to happen.

Renfield fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 17, 2016

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Jose posted:

they can probably just defer brexit until everyone forgets about it and nobody gets too upset because other things have come up

Like Alien invasion, which given the way 2016 is going will probably be some time in the Autumn.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Guavanaut posted:

Apparently your vote in the EU Referendum does not correlate as strongly with class as commonly thought, and correlates more with being a vengeful prick.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36803544
Quoting dis because it seemed to sink without trace. Tl;dr your support for the death penalty is a much, much stronger predictor of your opinion on Brexit than your income or social class, which turns out to be barely better than chance.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The EU would love that because we'd lose all of the concessions we've carved out over the years. Is Schengen an absolute requirement for entering now or not?
If this happened I'd probably be opposed because re-entry would mean adopting the Euro and having shot ourselves in the head once I'd be keen to avoid doing it again. The euro is a catastrophe and Britain staying out is one of Gordon Broon's biggest but least-credited triumphs.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

Anything other than rainbows and unicorns in a 50's UK that never existed is going to lead to that "stabbed in the back" rhetorical club

It's a process that's already starting. Every negative consequence of the clusterfuck so far - pound plummeting, stock markets in turmoil, factories closing, companies looking to move - has been dismissed as people "talking down Great Britain".

When we do leave and have to pawn the Crown Jewels to pay for the nutritious gruel that will be our only means of sustenance, I'm certain it will be firmly blamed on those rootless cosmopolitans whose negative vibes are stopping a return to the Golden Age where Britannia Ruled The Waves and those people knew their place, and that's when we get the Rothermere Secret Police emptying the cities into re-education camps where they will learn imperial measurements, the Duckworth-Lewis method, and to enjoy their food boiled, all as English Jesus intended it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

ukle posted:

Like Alien invasion, which given the way 2016 is going will probably be some time in the Autumn.

trump winning the presidential election might be enough

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I'm pretty sure the current Brexit plan is "stall it out forever, all hail the status quo" but it's uh not really working.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
theres a brexit plan?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

XMNN posted:

theres a brexit plan?

well "plan" implies any kind of thought was put into it so point taken

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Story doing the rounds on social media tonight that Progress/"Saving Labour" have been breaching the Data Protection Act.

https://twitter.com/AbiWilks/status/754759343661125632
https://twitter.com/AbiWilks/status/754767931087720453

Surely that's all the motivation you need to not quit Labour: Do you really want to risk Luke Akehurst getting your phone number?

Assuming this is a real thing, it's a bit of an eye-opener.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

namesake posted:

If you've still somehow got stuck on trying to avert Brexit despite literally everything that's happened you need to start thinking of extra-parliamentary means to make it impossible rather than desperately hoping some party official promises they'll take it back and that the UK didn't mean it to begin with.

Not really. Until they actually press the button I will assume they're all making GBS threads themselves wondering how they get out of this. You think the Tories actually want to see the banks get up and move to Paris? This is a nightmare for them as much as us. They can keep up with the soundbites for the Mail and the Sun but I'll believe it when article 50 actually happens. I'd hope they are all wise enough not to believe the "brexit means brexit" nonesense they keep spouting to keep the plebs happy.

Maybe it is hope on my part but I never did like the "hope is a lie" meme. Hope might be a lie, but it's also free.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
Article on the entirely fake Owen Smith:

Craig Murray posted:

As chief lobbyist for Pfizer, Smith actively pushed for privatisation of NHS services. This is not something Pfizer did very openly, and you have to search the evidence carefully. Footnotes often tell you what is really happening, as in this press release in which Owen Smith says of a Pfizer funded “focus group” study:

We believe that choice is a good thing and that patients and healthcare professionals should be at the heart of developing the agenda.
You have to look at the footnotes to see what kind of choice Owen Smith is actually talking about. Note to Editors 3 includes

“The focus groups also explored areas of choice that do not yet exist in the UK – most specifically the use of direct payments and the ability to choose to go directly to a specialist without first having to see the GP.”
Well, at least it is clear – direct payments from the public to doctors replacing current NHS services. Smith was promoting straight privatisation. As Head of Policy and Government Relations for Pfizer, Owen Smith was also directly involved in Pfizer’s funding of Blairite right wing entryist group Progress. Pfizer gave Progress £53,000. Progress has actively pursued the agenda of PFI and privatisation of NHS services.

Owen Smith went to Pfizer from a Labour Party job, while Labour were in government, and there is no doubt that his hiring was an example of the corrupt relationship between New Labour and big business which is why the Blairites are so hated by the public. It is also beyond any argument that if Pfizer had any doubts about Owen Smith’s willingness to promote the Big Pharma and NHS Privatisation agenda, they would never have hired him.

Owen Smith is a strong supporter of Trident and assiduously courts the arms industry. He is a regular at defence industry events.

Perhaps most crucially of all, Owen Smith joined his fellow Red Tories in abstaining on the Tory welfare benefit cuts.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Surely that's all the motivation you need to not quit Labour: Do you really want to risk Luke Akehurst getting your phone number?
I'm filling up a var as we speak.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

so how does the data prevention act work with regards to that i've never given my name/email to saving labour but the CLP have it and could have passed it on. The current excuse being used.

They haven't contacted me

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Does anyone actually know who's in the driver's seat at the whole #SavingLabour and who the gently caress's paying for it?

Those big ads in the weekend's papers cant have been cheap. Neither is the backbone organisation they seem to have.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

XMNN posted:

theres a brexit plan?

Lisa needs braces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Junior G-man posted:

Does anyone actually know who's in the driver's seat at the whole #SavingLabour and who the gently caress's paying for it?

Those big ads in the weekend's papers cant have been cheap. Neither is the backbone organisation they seem to have.

Same person who said they'd sponsor the right wing split as a new party a little while ago I'd imagine.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Not really. Until they actually press the button I will assume they're all making GBS threads themselves wondering how they get out of this. You think the Tories actually want to see the banks get up and move to Paris? This is a nightmare for them as much as us. They can keep up with the soundbites for the Mail and the Sun but I'll believe it when article 50 actually happens. I'd hope they are all wise enough not to believe the "brexit means brexit" nonesense they keep spouting to keep the plebs happy.

Maybe it is hope on my part but I never did like the "hope is a lie" meme. Hope might be a lie, but it's also free.

making GBS threads themselves perhaps but Theresa has a lot of pro-Brexit colleagues to worry about and the onus is on the person stopping Brexit to think of reasons why they aren't doing it. Not having a plan is a good reason but they will eventually have to have one or the backbenchers, the EU or the public will lose patience.

• Locked thread