Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Do it ironically posted:

i dont understand why cineD wants this movie to be a success so bad, what's wrong with it just being a lovely movie that failed, happens all the time

Because they, Feig, and other idiots who write for online journals desperately made into this into a political issue when it was obvious that like all summer blockbusters it was going to make 400 million in box office. Now that it's a below average fart comedy, and it making a modest profit is the best case scenario they kinda of realize how dumb that was considering their might be wider consequences in Hollywood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
It really feels like they were trying to bully me into seeing this movie. (I didn't decide that I definitely wouldn't see it until those awful spoilers dropped on the Ghostbusters subreddit)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

we've learned two lessons this weekend:

1. people don't like being told they're horrible for not wanting to consume a particular bit of pop culture, regardless of how loud and nasty a small part of that population is
2. don't underestimate the staying power of a talking animal movie

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I think the whole big dumb controversy over this movie both helped and hurt it--on the one hand, a bunch of people who had no interest in it initially now may see it just to see what all the commotion was about, but on the other hand some people might have been so put off by the Culture War bullshit that they may stay away from it completely. Any publicity=good publicity and all, yeah, but I do have to wonder if it will ultimately hurt the film in the long run--it's already become almost impossible to judge the film on its own merits because the haters have already decided that they hate it and the opposite side thinks they're sticking it to the haters or whatever by liking it no matter what.

It's interesting to think what would have happened if Sony had just gone the route that Mad Max and The Force Awakens went and ignored the youtube/reddit backlash and allowed the film to succeed or fail on its own.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Sheen Sheen posted:

Any publicity=good publicity and all, yeah, but I do have to wonder if it will ultimately hurt the film in the long run--it's already become almost impossible to judge the film on its own merits because the haters have already decided that they hate it and the opposite side thinks they're sticking it to the haters or whatever by liking it no matter what.
between this and beyonce writing a tribute to the five dallas cops shot and killed, i'd like to think that this is the high water mark of pop culture consumption as a mark of good politics. but it'll probably take a hell of a lot more than that

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

this guy will never get laid

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Sheen Sheen posted:

I think the whole big dumb controversy over this movie both helped and hurt it--on the one hand, a bunch of people who had no interest in it initially now may see it just to see what all the commotion was about, but on the other hand some people might have been so put off by the Culture War bullshit that they may stay away from it completely. Any publicity=good publicity and all, yeah, but I do have to wonder if it will ultimately hurt the film in the long run--it's already become almost impossible to judge the film on its own merits because the haters have already decided that they hate it and the opposite side thinks they're sticking it to the haters or whatever by liking it no matter what.

It's interesting to think what would have happened if Sony had just gone the route that Mad Max and The Force Awakens went and ignored the youtube/reddit backlash and allowed the film to succeed or fail on its own.

didn't read a word of what you said but you have an awesome avatar

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

didn't read a word of what you said but you have an awesome avatar

Thanks! :cheers:

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

this guy will never get laid
Not sure which side of that conversation you're referring to.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Hadaka Apron posted:

It really feels like they were trying to bully me into seeing this movie. (I didn't decide that I definitely wouldn't see it until those awful spoilers dropped on the Ghostbusters subreddit)

They've been acting like it's a huge surprise, too. Feig and McCarthy would say things like, (paraphrasing) "people critical of Ghostbusters probably have no friends and are basement dwellers." Talking down to potential audience is not the way to get them in seats.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

does sony control vox and vice and so on because some of this poo poo might be their fault

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The Grimace posted:

They've been acting like it's a huge surprise, too. Feig and McCarthy would say things like, (paraphrasing) "people critical of Ghostbusters probably have no friends and are basement dwellers." Talking down to potential audience is not the way to get them in seats.

this. ivory tower making GBS threads on people(mra shitheads or not) is a loving terrible way to get support, especialy when its a meh remake. talking down/shaming people over realy dumb poo poo is retarded. parts of the left should have learned this by now, especially since the moral majority loving made it an art form. if the new left were smart, they wouldnt try to loving emulate them.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 17, 2016

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Al Cowens posted:

Not sure which side of that conversation you're referring to.

everyone in this thread

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Do it ironically posted:

i dont understand why cineD wants this movie to be a success so bad

virtue signaling

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
A remake of Con Air but on a space shuttle

A remake of Armageddon but the asteroid is crawling with those killer gorillas from Congo

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...
Remake Johnny Got His Gun, but with a lady BLM protestor.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. ivory tower making GBS threads on people(mra shitheads or not) is a loving terrible way to get support, especialy when its a meh remake. talking down/shaming people over realy dumb poo poo is retarded. parts of the left should have learned this by now, especially since the moral majority loving made it an art form. if the new left were smart, they wouldnt try to loving emulate them.

that's what bugs me as a feminist and lefty is them making this the hill to die on. most of the people who think the movie is mediocre or bad aren't mras, they're people with taste. they're playing pretty much right into the mras hands when they start pretending that the original movie wasn't that funny or that this movie is way funnier they just look pathetic cuz everyone knows that can't be true.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

that's what bugs me as a feminist and lefty is them making this the hill to die on. most of the people who think the movie is mediocre or bad aren't mras, they're people with taste. they're playing pretty much right into the mras hands when they start pretending that the original movie wasn't that funny or that this movie is way funnier they just look pathetic cuz everyone knows that can't be true.

To be fair. alot of these dips probaly didnt like the first movie, not to mention the second. if the movie had been my type of humor, i would go see it. its not and because the awful PR and bullshit zealotry. i wont see it. If its not kids cartoons like steven universe or something that only says the themes and messages they like and approve of. its evil. same thing goes with the alt-right and the christian right. I am not a giant fan of dude like sargon and others but i can see where they sorta come from. they are pissed that questioning things and interprating stuff has been thrown out the window by the parts of the left. the problem is they think the other side of the poo poo coin is somehow different. its worse probaly.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 17, 2016

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
If you want to watch something compelling with a female lead go watch the Netflix series Stranger Things because goddamn it is so good.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Sheen Sheen posted:

Ghostbusters was one of my childhood faves and I was undecided until not that long ago. I realized that if the actual merits of the film hadn't overridden the controversy by that point, the movie prolly sucks

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Super had a woman raping a man. It was a real refreshing take on disturbing movie rapes.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Harald posted:

A remake of Con Air but on a space shuttle

this is actually a great fuckin idea

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

eSports Chaebol posted:

this is actually a great fuckin idea

Airplane! already did it

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Secret Life of Pets involves the torture of a prisoner, one of the heroes (a hawk) having to visibly resist eating the rest of the cast the entire time he's on screen, a domestic terrorist cell of abandoned pets dedicated to murdering humans, the leader of which hijacks a bus and purposefully rams occupied vehicles on a bridge with it while the protagonist works the gas pedal, the repeated brutal beating of several humans and a one-sided obsessive relationship being treated as romantic. All, of course, played for laughs. Like, dark stuff in kids movies is great, don't get me wrong, but they didn't do any of it well. It just felt kinda schizophrenic. I guess I'll check out some reviews and see if I'm just crazy. At least the animation was colorful and fun and nice to look at.

Ghostbusters was just too safe. There wasn't even a scene of anyone getting ghost cunnilingus for christ's sake.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

VikingSkull posted:

Ghostbusters was one of my childhood faves and I was undecided until not that long ago. I realized that if the actual merits of the film hadn't overridden the controversy by that point, the movie prolly sucks

so you actually havent seen it then?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
In Angry Birds they basically bomb a country and overthrow its government. You can't make a children's cartoon without a heavy doze of American politics nowadays.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Paladinus posted:

In Angry Birds they basically bomb a country and overthrow its government. You can't make a children's cartoon without a heavy doze of American politics nowadays.

a... are you retarded?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pvt.Scott posted:

Secret Life of Pets involves the torture of a prisoner, one of the heroes (a hawk) having to visibly resist eating the rest of the cast the entire time he's on screen, a domestic terrorist cell of abandoned pets dedicated to murdering humans, the leader of which hijacks a bus and purposefully rams occupied vehicles on a bridge with it while the protagonist works the gas pedal, the repeated brutal beating of several humans and a one-sided obsessive relationship being treated as romantic. All, of course, played for laughs. Like, dark stuff in kids movies is great, don't get me wrong, but they didn't do any of it well. It just felt kinda schizophrenic. I guess I'll check out some reviews and see if I'm just crazy. At least the animation was colorful and fun and nice to look at.

Ghostbusters was just too safe. There wasn't even a scene of anyone getting ghost cunnilingus for christ's sake.

yeah. i saw that in the trailer. I wondered why the bunny sounded like some 1960s/70s black power/liberation/days of rage leader. do the police shoot him in the head at the end or something?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

a... are you retarded?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYmn3Gwn3oI

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i saw that in the trailer. I wondered why the bunny sounded like some 1960s/70s black power/liberation/days of rage leader. do the police shoot him in the head at the end or something?

No. Kevin Hart's bunny gets captured by a little girl while fleeing the aftermath of probably injuring and killing dozens of humans on a bridge and instantly becomes a traitor to the cause because all pets secretly want to be owned.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pvt.Scott posted:

No. Kevin Hart's bunny gets captured by a little girl while fleeing the aftermath of probably injuring and killing dozens of humans on a bridge and instantly becomes a traitor to the cause because all pets secretly want to be owned.

Lol. thats kinda hosed up.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

nope

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

The Ghostbusters trailer literally is terrible. I don't know how that trailer is putting any seats into theaters.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Lol. thats kinda hosed up.
There're two kinds of pets. There was that old house Pet and the field Pet

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

a... are you retarded?

HAVE YOU SEEN ANGRY BIRDS?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Harald posted:

A remake of Armageddon but the asteroid is crawling with those killer gorillas from Congo

Donkey Kong adaptation lookin' good

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I'd say a remake of Armageddon where the rock wins, but These Our Final Hours already exists and is p chill.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Pvt.Scott posted:

I'd say a remake of Armageddon where the rock wins, but These Our Final Hours already exists and is p chill.

The Rock always wins.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr8glaM4ruM

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Speaking of The Rock what about a remake of The Rock starring The Rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Paladinus posted:

HAVE YOU SEEN ANGRY BIRDS?
people saw angry birds?

• Locked thread