Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

I wanna hear about the worst comics you have ever read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mr Hootington posted:

He is also super creepy see Lost Girls.

Even though I doubt I'll ever read it, I love that he married the woman who drew that.

Edit: And apparently had a child who now plays Pokemon Go.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
In researching Alan Moore books to see if there were any books that jumped out as real bad (even though I was very recently complaining a lot about TKJ I actually think it's a good book if you look at it on its own), I am surprised to learn he coworote an issue of The Maxx. I don't know in what capacity/to what extent he contributed to the book, but issue #21 apparently had some Alan Moore in it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

His wife and their mutual lover also took off with his kids.

Open relationships never work.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Wait what?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean they didn't disappear or anything, but he and his first wife shared a relationship with another woman and the wife left him for her, taking the kids.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Aphrodite posted:

William Moulton Marston would like to have a word.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

This doesn't answer my question at all because this looks loving amazing.

Aphrodite posted:

I disagree, but it does take a lot of work and most people who do have superficial ideas about free love and just wanting to bang a lot and poo poo. My favorite story is Anthony Burch announcing he badgered his wife into an open relationship on twitter, only to then complain she kept racking up lovers and he was going entirely without sex from anyone.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Travis343 posted:

William Moulton Marston would like to have a word.

His cancer was caused by cooties.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Mr Hootington posted:

He is also super creepy see Lost Girls.

Admittedly, I never looked into it until now, and from what I gather, it does seem rather creepy.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
LoEG gets real bad after Volume II.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CapnAndy posted:

I only like the first volume. The movie is better than everything else.

WickedHate posted:

This doesn't answer my question at all because this looks loving amazing.

It's nightmarish. I have a copy somewhere.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

DrProsek posted:

In researching Alan Moore books to see if there were any books that jumped out as real bad (even though I was very recently complaining a lot about TKJ I actually think it's a good book if you look at it on its own), I am surprised to learn he coworote an issue of The Maxx. I don't know in what capacity/to what extent he contributed to the book, but issue #21 apparently had some Alan Moore in it.

It's been ages since I read the Maxx but I hope you aren't bringing that up as a bad comic because the Maxx is legit really good. Not excellent (it was a bit all over the place without a solid plan) but was really good.
Moore's work for hire stuff in the 90s is really interesting. Even his Spawn stuff was good in the context of the rest of the series. Ditto for Gaiman.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CapnAndy posted:

I liked Black Dossier and the Millennium trilogy was at least interesting. The major problem was he had to be a lot more coy when he was dealing with characters not in the public domain.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

I liked Black Dossier and the Millennium trilogy was at least interesting. The major problem was he had to be a lot more coy when he was dealing with characters not in the public domain.
Parts of Black Dossier were really fun like the Wooster/Jeeves story, where 1) Moore absolutely nailed it and 2) you could tell he had a ball writing it, but there are also parts I will never re-read (the Sal Paradyse beat thing). I'd say it's 50/50 great/bleh. I don't think I'll ever get tired of anything-Les Hommes Mysterieux.

Millennium let me down, but the three Nemo one-shots were way back on-point, especially Heart of Ice.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Madkal posted:

It's been ages since I read the Maxx but I hope you aren't bringing that up as a bad comic because the Maxx is legit really good.

I've never read the comic, but the cartoon is so loving good oh my god. I love it. It like, changed my life.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Penny Dreadful is the real LoEG adaptation

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Rhyno posted:

I only like the first volume. The movie is better than everything else.

It's nightmarish. I have a copy somewhere.

Would it be files to post it?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

Would it be :files: to post it?

I dunno. I've posted entire lovely comics in the past.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I dunno. I've posted entire lovely comics in the past.

X-O needs to way in because that comic looks absolutely amazing and needs a wider audience.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Personally, one of my favorite worst comics ever has always been Astroman!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

WickedHate posted:

Personally, one of my favorite worst comics ever has always been Astroman!

I'm glad you choose this to be your first good post.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm glad you choose this to be your first good post.

My best posts concern the X-Men OEL manga.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I should probably feel lucky that the worst comics I've read have been: Dark Knight Strikes Again, Youngblood, and the 2008 Titans series.

Youngblood I heard was something that was like Teen Titans, so I checked it out and got first-hand exposure to Liefeld for the first time.

The 2008 Titans series was kind-of 50/50 for me. I hated the Jericho stuff (I have never liked his character to begin with), thought the first arc was bad, and hated it even more when it became a book about Deathstroke and his team.
But then I liked the arc about them drifting apart, and there were small moments I liked. For instance, I liked in issue 4 (?) when Beast Boy and Raven had a "not-date" and Dick and Starfire had a relatively mature conversation about sex for a comic like that. Overall, still not something I'd really recommend.

Dark Knight Strikes Again is probably the worst. Horrendous art, way too much of Frank Miller's lovely satire, and the Wonder Woman/Superman sex scene is honestly the worst sex scene in any piece of fiction that I've seen.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's probably not the absolute worst I've read, buuuuuuut...The Boys is the first thing to come to mind.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Moore's Voodoo and Deathblow miniseries were both pretty awful, but I didn't mind his Youngblood so much, as a spinoff of the underrated Judgement Day (Moore's insane superhero courtroom drama that served as the historical backstory for Liefeld's entire shared universe, bringing in pulp roots the same way Ellis did in Planetary).

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
My worst comics were Gavok's fault. He knows what he did.

edit: damnit phone I know that's his name but bad autocorrect

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I don't really remember bad comics I've read beyond Red Hood and the Outlaws and a half dozen lovely Justice League one-shots the library had.

Oh, and Spawn.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Countdown for me.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'd say Future's End and Axis, but my memory's short. What a year that was.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 18, 2016

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Madkal posted:

It's been ages since I read the Maxx but I hope you aren't bringing that up as a bad comic because the Maxx is legit really good. Not excellent (it was a bit all over the place without a solid plan) but was really good.
Moore's work for hire stuff in the 90s is really interesting. Even his Spawn stuff was good in the context of the rest of the series. Ditto for Gaiman.

Oh not at all! I was just surprised to see Alan Moore had credits on a single The Maxx issue :v:.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

redbackground posted:

Millennium let me down, but the three Nemo one-shots were way back on-point, especially Heart of Ice.

Yeah Millennium just goes all over the drat place. Heart of Ice and Rose of Berlin are both excellent, but I never got around to reading River of Ghosts. At least I was able to appreciate Millennium more after reading through annotations, even if I wasn't a huge fan of the story. Just the sheer depth of references present in all of LoEG is astounding.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Oh poo poo, people talking about Liefeld and Alan Moore so close together made me remember Alan Moore's bit on Supreme, that was a pretty amazing book too.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

This keeps getting passed around on tumblr, constantly, as a real thing and not an edit, and as a trans girl myself I honestly just find it really obnoxious and badly written. Cringe. I'm sure Wonder Woman is cool with trans rights and stuff, but hoo boy there is such a thing as subtly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

WickedHate posted:

This keeps getting passed around on tumblr, constantly, as a real thing and not an edit, and as a trans girl myself I honestly just find it really obnoxious and badly written. Cringe. I'm sure Wonder Woman is cool with trans rights and stuff, but hoo boy there is such a thing as subtly.

Just looking at how the letters fit inside the word bubbles I'm pretty sure it's fake, also the writing is loving absurd, even for a comic book.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And, you know, the part where she's deciding to go kill everyone.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I just called Dan Didio to check. Diana does in fact not have a penis.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I know it's an edit, I wasn't questioning that. Just annoyed people keep getting fooled and making a big deal out of it when it's so obvious.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Alan Moore is a lovely man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Aphrodite posted:

And, you know, the part where she's deciding to go kill everyone.
She might just be deciding to remove PARTS.

• Locked thread