Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

Killing the head of government while you are performing a coup is generally a bad idea, since power then devolves to the second in command who you might not have a hold of. Plus it kind of opens the door for open season on heads of state, which isn't exactly the best idea when you are trying to impose a new head of state.

It's still open season, just now on the would be head of state, other members of the military, judges, Gulenists and anyone else who's ever looked funny at Erdogan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

steinrokkan posted:

I mean, politically there's no difference between a judge being deposed, and a judge being killed in the short term... But I don't think even Erdogan, being the huge oval office he is, would actually stoop down to murdering the thousands of people arrested by him in these days.

Yeah, North Korea is just about the only country in the world that can get away with mass execution nowadays, not even China does that poo poo anymore. Speaking of which, executing all those conscripts will basically put Turkey on par with China in terms of the number of people executed each year, with like 1/20 of the population, and that's just not going to happen. I hope.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Shanghaied posted:

Yeah, North Korea is just about the only country in the world that can get away with mass execution nowadays, not even China does that poo poo anymore. Speaking of which, executing all those conscripts will basically put Turkey on par with China in terms of the number of people executed each year, with like 1/20 of the population, and that's just not going to happen. I hope.

Sisi didn't hesitate to sentence to death over 500 Muslim Brothers in one day.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

His F-16 got shot down by the police? It's possible of course, but also I suspect that he might've been uninvolved and just got purged perhaps to also appease Putin.

When was the last time the Turks and Russians were allies? Were they ever?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I don't think they ever have been.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Wikipedia tells me there were a couple points during the Napoleonic Wars where Russia and the Ottoman Empire were both part of the coalition against France, if not actually enthusiastically cooperating with each other militarily.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

Sisi didn't hesitate to sentence to death over 500 Muslim Brothers in one day.

Sentencing people to death is just how they say "hello" in Sisi's Egypt. 90% of those aren't being carried out (according to a human rights report I just googled)

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
lol

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

So the gulenists dont even have power in the military. They havw power in the police force. Yet they staged the coup? Almost sounds like a setup. If the gulenists had been part of the coup the police would have been arresting parlimentary members. Not coup supporters.

Almost sounds like a reichstag burning

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.

The X-man cometh posted:

Napoleonic war, kind of.

IIRC the Russians/Muscovy did team up with the Crimean Tartars a couple of times against Poles or other Tartars, but I dont remember if the Crimeans were part of the Ottoman Empire at that time.Was definitly before 1581 (after Crimean tatars burned down moscow, and took like 100K slaves, alliances were out. Russia/Muscovy from that point prepfered to team up with the various Nogai hordes).

Pretty sure that the Ottos did not help Russia in their various wars with Persia (or vice versa).

There was also some hilarity during Russian Civil War. IIRC the former Ottoman commander initially joined the Bolsheviks, then turned on them and tried to build a Mega Turkistan in Central Asia, but couldnt get the various Kasachs/Turkmen/Uzbeks/Kirghiz etc. to cooperate (hated each other more then they hated teh Soviets) so he died charging a Soviet machine gun.

And no, that was not even close to the craziest thing that happened that war.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Mightypeon posted:

Napoleonic war, kind of.

IIRC the Russians/Muscovy did team up with the Crimean Tartars a couple of times against Poles or other Tartars, but I dont remember if the Crimeans were part of the Ottoman Empire at that time.Was definitly before 1581 (after Crimean tatars burned down moscow, and took like 100K slaves, alliances were out. Russia/Muscovy from that point prepfered to team up with the various Nogai hordes).

Pretty sure that the Ottos did not help Russia in their various wars with Persia (or vice versa).

There was also some hilarity during Russian Civil War. IIRC the former Ottoman commander initially joined the Bolsheviks, then turned on them and tried to build a Mega Turkistan in Central Asia, but couldnt get the various Kasachs/Turkmen/Uzbeks/Kirghiz etc. to cooperate (hated each other more then they hated teh Soviets) so he died charging a Soviet machine gun.

I think the craziest had to be Urgan Von Sternberg.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Crowsbeak posted:

Discovering that there's a lengthy finnish wikipedia article on this character and not even a reference on the english site, is a great example of how full of holes our greatest repository of general reference remains in TYOOL 2016.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The X-man cometh posted:

my last game of diplomacy

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Rime posted:

Discovering that there's a lengthy finnish wikipedia article on this character and not even a reference on the english site, is a great example of how full of holes our greatest repository of general reference remains in TYOOL 2016.

He's right here on English wikipedia.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Pakled posted:

Why in the blazes did google decide the finnish result was most appropriate then. :psyduck:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Shanghaied posted:

What do you mean by "get away with." Because North Korea gets strongly worded letters about the human rights situation just like Assad, Iran, China, KSA, or anyone else.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Volkerball posted:

What do you mean by "get away with." Because North Korea gets strongly worded letters about the human rights situation just like Assad, Iran, China, KSA, or anyone else.

Strongly worded letters are not real world consequences, and you can bet that if KSA, Pakistan or Egypt executed thousands each year like NK and PRC then there's gonna be real talk about cutting aid or blocking arms deals in Western legislatures.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Pakled posted:

Wait, I thought Kaiserreich made most of this up. He actually became a fascist Khan? :psyduck:

Tommah
Mar 29, 2003

Crowsbeak posted:

a good map video on the whole civil war including sternberg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGIZ0iGlrno

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Wait, I thought Kaiserreich made most of this up. He actually became a fascist Khan? :psyduck:

He and Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck occupy a special place in alternate history circles.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

And turned up in a novel based on Lovecraftian horrors and modern espionage. As a bad guy. On that scale. Without a lot of exaggeration.

That's "The Fuller Memorandum" by Charlie Stross.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Yes. He also believed in an extreme version of Buddhism that justified mass murder on the grounds that re-incarnation would bring about a better society. He believed so strongly that he was the reincarnation Ghengis Khan that he invaded Siberia with, like one army division in 1921. He didn't live much longer.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Shanghaied posted:

Strongly worded letters are not real world consequences, and you can bet that if KSA, Pakistan or Egypt executed thousands each year like NK and PRC then there's gonna be real talk about cutting aid or blocking arms deals in Western legislatures.

lol like how the USA cut aid to Egypt after the Rabaa massacre? Wait actually in reality it changed nothing.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Emanuel Collective posted:

Yes. He also believed in an extreme version of Buddhism that justified mass murder on the grounds that re-incarnation would bring about a better society. He believed so strongly that he was the reincarnation Ghengis Khan that he invaded Siberia with, like one army division in 1921. He didn't live much longer.

"At his trial in Novo-Nikolaevsk, he was a calm, even dignified, prisoner. He had foreseen his fate and accepted it. The prosecution was most interested in portraying him as an agent of the Japanese, which he denied. However, the Baron readily admitted to mass killings and other atrocities. So far as his brutal discipline was concerned, he proclaimed himself a believer in a system that had existed “since Frederick the Great.” He went before the firing squad quite convinced that someday he would be back."

Dude could have been a bad guy straight out of a horror novel.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Reminder that that dude was about as old as most of us here.

quote:

In the summer, Ungern-Sternberg lived on the island of Dago (modern Hiiumaa) in the Baltic, which Ungern-Sternberg liked to boast had belonged to his family for over two hundred years.[7] Ungern-Sternberg had an extreme pride in his ancient, aristocratic family, later writing that his family had over the centuries "never taken orders from the working classes" and it was outrageous that "dirty workers who've never had any servants of their own, but still think they can command" should have any say in the ruling of the vast Russian Empire.[8] Alongside Ungern-Sterberg's aristocratic pride was an ardent anti-Slavic racism that led him to view all Slavic peoples as naturally inferior and barbarous to the "superior" volkdeutsche (ethnic Germans) like himself.[8] Ungern-Sternberg believed that it was the volkdeutsche nobility of the Russian empire who were the Herrnvolk ("master race) that kept the empire working, and that if the Slavic Russians were left on their own that they would inevitably fall for the tricks of the Jews, whom the anti-Semitic Ungern-Sterberg saw as his archenemies from his childhood on.[8] The Völkisch ideas so popular amongst certain elements in Germany and Austria in the early 20th century were also popular in the volksdeutsche community in Estland, and the young Ungern-Sternberg was much influenced by völkisch racism which viewed the "German race" as the best examples of the great "Aryan race" who were locked in a battle with the "Jewish race" for world supremacy.

sounds like a badass

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 18, 2016

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Aliquid posted:

Reminder that that dude was about as old as most of us here.

sounds like a badass

This sounds like his most Lovecraftian aspect at any rate.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
...and the purging of the police force begins, starting with 8 000 Turkish police officers sacked.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/07/18/turkey-sacks-8000-police-officers-after-attempted-coup-6012770/

That's the military, courts, and police force in less than half a week. Good job, Erdogan.

az
Dec 2, 2005

It's me, I'm the bad coup F16 pilot, and my superiors can't read a map :argh:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Ungern-Sternberg was boss. Dude literally thought a pan-mongolian empire based on shamanist rites and warrior aristocracy was the way to go, and dude charged headlong into Russia to restore the Romanovs on his own because his Preussian commanders thought he was too bloodthirsty to command :psyduck:

az posted:

Lol, what's this from?

az
Dec 2, 2005

http://www.thegoparcade.com/game/bomb-the-right-place

It's pretty great.

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009

Mightypeon posted:

Not just any old Ottoman commander either, Enver Pasha, one of the Young Turks and one of the main men behind the Armenian Genocide.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

az posted:

Bombed iraq by mistake on the first one.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Ianiniho posted:

Not just any old Ottoman commander either, Enver Pasha, one of the Young Turks and one of the main men behind the Armenian Genocide.

THAT Enver Pasha? WW1 Day by Day tought me all about him. Guy pretty much single-handed got Turkey into the war, lost every campaign through his mismanagement and blamed everyone else, condemns millions to a genocide, later on loses the Empire that's stood for centuries, are and THEN goes on to do that!?! If the guy was a Hollywood villain pf the evil grand-visar no one would believe it.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.

Crowsbeak posted:

Ding! The candidate wins 100 points!

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

What kind of poo poo govt structure lets the prez fire so many people

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Comstar posted:

THAT Enver Pasha? WW1 Day by Day tought me all about him. Guy pretty much single-handed got Turkey into the war, lost every campaign through his mismanagement and blamed everyone else, condemns millions to a genocide, later on loses the Empire that's stood for centuries, are and THEN goes on to do that!?! If the guy was a Hollywood villain pf the evil grand-visar no one would believe it.

I would disagree with getting Turkey single handed into the war. Turkey was pretty much bound to enter the war on whoseever side Russia was not on, but other then that, yeah thats him.

Soviets eventually turning him into a sieve did wonders in making Soviet rule in Armenia accepted.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

quote:

"We would be disappointed if our (American) friends told us to present proof even though members of the assassin organization are trying to destroy an elected government under the directions of that person," Yildirim said, referring to Gulen and his supporters in Turkey and abroad.

"At this stage there could even be a questioning of our friendship," Yildirim added.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0ZY168

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

That ups the ante a bit. I guess we're about to find out just how much the US needs that airbase.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Pakled posted:

Wikipedia tells me there were a couple points during the Napoleonic Wars where Russia and the Ottoman Empire were both part of the coalition against France, if not actually enthusiastically cooperating with each other militarily.

30 years war as well, I think, though that's way further back, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Well who else can be there friends?

• Locked thread