Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Sweet Jesus. May the Lord have mercy.

Actually nah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

It's less about long term planning and more about basing their whole gameplan on hate and stupidity, which will always be in great supply and very easy to manipulate

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

TIL: We're all going to die because Trump got picked last for kickball

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Here are some fun GOP related games to play while the boring parts of the convention are going on.

http://www.thegoparcade.com/

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

This is required reading for the thread.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
If Trump loses by the margin of current polling, the lesson the GOP is going to draw is that they would have won with an experienced politician devoted to Reaganism like Paul Ryan or Marco Rubio and that'll be their hope for 2020.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Agronox posted:

Here lies the United States. We broke it because we got bored.

not our fault they didn't put in much content for after you beat the final boss and win the cold war. the internet dlc was entertaining for a while at least

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Fun fact: tomorrow's speakers include not one, not two, but four mothers who lost their sons suddenly and violently

Yet another area where the DNC is better planned. On their Tuesday they're going to have at least seven mothers on stage who lost their children suddenly and violently.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

JHomer722 posted:

TIL: We're all going to die because Trump got picked last for kickball

i'm super stoked to get drafted in the war against *spins globe* hm, india, because trump is a pissy whiny bitchboy who can't deal with everyone not praising him constantly for using daddy's money and connections to go into daddy's business

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

are his hands tied behind his back? i'd like to think that

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

zen death robot posted:

He looks like a beaten man
Has he gained weight since dropping out of the race?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Samurai Sanders posted:

Has he gained weight since dropping out of the race?

eating poo poo 24/7 has a lot of calories

TwinsensRevenge
Aug 13, 2013

Joementum posted:

If Trump loses by the margin of current polling, the lesson the GOP is going to draw is that they would have won with an experienced politician devoted to Reaganism like Paul Ryan or Marco Rubio and that'll be their hope for 2020.

no need to throw a tantrum and risk irreversibly fracturing the party by attempting to reject the voters and put up a suit (and still lose), when they can accept 2016 is likely lost and use it to finally get the non-establishment faction of the party in line. Cruz could potentially throw a wrench into those plans, though

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man oh man, Coppins really takes Sam Nunberg out behind the woodshed in that article.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

why do people keep saying this? the right has literally spent decades gradually and systematically undermining trust in the media and support for abortion/unions/etc. the GOP has been so much better at long-term planning than the democrats to an absolutely comical extent over the last 40 years

ok fine, Ill amend that to humans are not great at long term planning, because while the republicans have been good at specific aspect of it, they are also terrible at things like demographics, and climate change, and well, quite a few others

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Joementum posted:

Based on how things are going I'm not even sure they'd be wrong.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

http://www.cbsnews.com/live/video/60-minutes-interviews-trump-and-pence/

* "We're going to declare war on ISIS."

* We're going to send "very few" ground troops.

* The plan. Pence: "He'll give a directive to our armed forces" to destroy ISIS

* We're going to get rid of ISIS "big league"

* Trump: Pence gets to make a mistake on Iraq, Clinton does not (ACTUALLY SAID)

* Trump: Pence is "establishment," chosen because Trump is an outsider.

* Trump: "Party unity is OK."

* Trump: "I'm religious. I'm religious. I won the evangelical vote."

* Pence dodges question on Trump's negative campaigning. Trump explains in detail that Hillary is a liar. Hillary is a crook. Crooked Hillary. Pence says their styles are different, but since Trump "appreciates candor" he would feel free to approach him with concerns.

* Trump tells Pence it's ok to answer question about Trump's comments on McCain.

* Pence now agrees with banning Muslims from entering the US. Called out on his (Pence's) earlier tweet in December stating that is "unconstitutional" and wrong, Trump interrupts and explains that banning Muslims or banning travel from terrorist territories is equivalent and that "The Constitution, there's nothing like it. But it doesn't necessarily give us the right to commit suicide as a country."

* Question: Pence voted for every trade agreement, supported the TPP, and now - Trump butts in says he's for Free Trade, but for good deals (whatever that means). Calls NAFTA a huge mistake. Pence: NAFTA included review terms, let's renegotiate them. Still for Free Trade though!

* Waterboarding: Pence won't answer, dodges by saying we shouldn't let our tactics out in public, more horseshit tapdancing about being "for protecting Americans" but without saying the phrase "I support waterboarding." Trump butts in: ISIS are horrible and so we should do whatever gets us information. Pence emphasizes the results, will not say directly he supports it.

* Trump assures us he wants to govern.

* "I think I'm much more humble than you can understand."

* "Our world is spinning out of control, our nation is spinning out of control, and I will stop it."

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
petition to wordfilter donald trump to a rich conman and mike pence to depleted lump tia

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
The world is actually supposed to spin, please don't try to stop it

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Necc0 posted:

Personally I think handing Donald Trump the keys to the most powerful military the world has ever seen and a literal doomsday device seems sort of like a means that could easily become its own end but whatever nothing matters.

not to mention a technological panopticon Nixon could only have dreamed of having

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

https://twitter.com/dorkasaurus_rex/status/754890357075312640

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

petition to wordfilter donald trump to a rich conman and mike pence to depleted lump tia

Also to catch common versions of the ticket name (Trump/Pence for example) and just spit it out as "A Rich Conman and a Depleted Lump"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Pence should be wordfiltered to "Trump's bitch, Pence,"

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

I used to feel like a fairly savvy consumer of political news, but everything has been turned on its head. Republicans used to be exceptional at enforcing consistent, compelling party line that was tailored to win elections, even if they were scum and poo poo at governing. Did Obama break them?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

FAUXTON posted:

Also to catch common versions of the ticket name (Trump/Pence for example) and just spit it out as "A Rich Conman and a Depleted Lump"

The second a is haram

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

You usually have to leave the city to find someplace that serves sausage gravy by the bucket.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
#RNCINCLE

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Joementum posted:

Most of them are avoiding the convention and just trying to survive the year. Those who are at the convention are just going to give fifteen minute speeches about the need to cut taxes, never mention Trump, and gently caress off. When this is over, they'll try to bury him.

Bold tactic to try against a sitting president

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Louisgod posted:

#RNCINCLE

I'm partial to #MistakeByTheLake myself

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i been up and down this block a hundred drat times and i don't care if google says there's a waffle house, i can't find the gosh darn thing, janet.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Louisgod posted:

#RNCINCLE

What a skin tag on reince priebus is called

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

JHomer722 posted:

I used to feel like a fairly savvy consumer of political news, but everything has been turned on its head. Republicans used to be exceptional at enforcing consistent, compelling party line that was tailored to win elections, even if they were scum and poo poo at governing. Did Obama break them?

donald loving trump is within the margin of error of becoming the next president, if you think the GOP isn't good at politics you haven't been paying attention

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

JHomer722 posted:

The Tea Party getting elected into Congress really broke a lot of the party unity. Think Eric Cantor (speaker of the housemajority leader) being primaried out in 2014. Due to gerrymandering and hatred of Obama/Clinton, they're still pretty effective, though.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

donald loving trump is within the margin of error of becoming the next president, if you think the GOP isn't good at politics you haven't been paying attention

On the other hand, by emphasizing short-term electoral gains at the expense of long-term party building, they've backed themselves into an ideological and demographic corner with no obvious exit short of destroying the party.

They've been very good at some aspects of politics, but really suck at others.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

When asked about the ramifications of legitimizing ISIS by declaring war, Mr. Trump responded "Well they are legitimate, a legitimate threat." Gov. Pence sighed and started to rub his forehead, Mr. Trump turned to Pence and asked "Is that not right? I mean they are legitimate, totally legitimate. It's a failure by the Obama administration to not declare their legitimacy, in my opinion."

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

skaboomizzy posted:

You usually have to leave the city to find someplace that serves sausage gravy by the bucket.

Never seen garbage eat garbage before.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

JHomer722 posted:

Obama was the cyst pressing on their reasoning center, Clinton is going to be the fistula that keeps leaking pus onto their brains.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Joementum posted:

And then they'll lose in 2020. So fingers crossed.

One of the most interesting things about the Republicans is that they need to moderate to win, but their constituents are getting older and whiter and crazier by the cycle. They are in a death spiral.

I am very interested to see how the GOP eventually does pivot back. Assuming the world doesn't end and human society continues to stand, they will have to move to the center at some point in the next 20-30 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Deteriorata posted:

On the other hand, by emphasizing short-term electoral gains at the expense of long-term party building, they've backed themselves into an ideological and demographic corner with no obvious exit short of destroying the party.

Unless Trump wins, in which case the Republicans will have won control of all three branches of government.

• Locked thread