Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Necc0 posted:

isn't this happening naturally already, though?

1. no

2. you didn't read the paper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
people are not gonna stop using cash. the cashless society is not just around the corner. nothin doin.

these imf guys have got a scheme to allow cash to continue to exist in a world with significant negative interest rates. (not this -0.25% weak sauce poo poo. think, like, -1%, or even -2%)

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Pinterest Mom posted:

oh, right, ARM is a british company and the deal is in pounds. that probably explains a lot of it?

yen is high, pound is low, arm gets paid in dollars which means its valuation will rise.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Management posted:

yen is high, pound is low, arm gets paid in dollars which means its valuation will rise.

Neat

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
the gently caress is a negative interest rate

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

fleshweasel posted:

the level of interest in reading your posts

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

fleshweasel posted:

it's when you lend someone money with the promise to be paid back less than you lent.

big institutional investors (pension funds, sovereign wealth, Apple Computer) can't just store cash reserves of 10 or 100 billion dollars in a vault or w/e, and they don't want to have full exposure to the stock market, so the safest place to put their money is in government bonds. But so many people want to store their money in safe government bonds that they're bidding down the interest rate to sub-zero levels - you have a bunch of people preferring a guaranteed -0.25% or w/e return over making any other use of their money.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

triple sulk posted:

the level of interest in reading your posts

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you really want to blow your mind check out this paper from some imf dudes

https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/wp/2015/wp15224.pdf

basically you levy fees cash deposits in order to create a deliberate disconnect between the value of cash dollars and "real" dollars in a bank

your mattress hoarding won't help you if the surcharges for converting cash to deposits are bigger than the negative interest rates!

teh danish state went bankrupt in i think 1813 & for a while there were 3 different valuations of the danish currency (rigsdaler, same word as dollar = thaler): courant (paper), in specie (paper), & silver (coin).

for a while the courant was as low as 1% of a specie daler with the same denomination.

thats gotta have been super annoying to deal with

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

SoftBank bought ARM for $32 billion in cash

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36822806

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
lol brexit is screwing up everything now

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

SoftBank bought ARM for $32 billion in cash

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36822806

weird.

cue hoards of idiots who don't understand that ARM doesn't actually manufacture or directly sell chips, they just license designs

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
big domestically focused japanese companies are looking at the population collapse erasing 50% of their local revenue over the few decades - there will be plenty of weird offshore acquisitions by japanese megacorps you never heard of over the next few years.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you really want to blow your mind check out this paper from some imf dudes

https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/wp/2015/wp15224.pdf

basically you levy fees cash deposits in order to create a deliberate disconnect between the value of cash dollars and "real" dollars in a bank

your mattress hoarding won't help you if the surcharges for converting cash to deposits are bigger than the negative interest rates!

lol the imf is the most evil organization on earth

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

infernal machines posted:

this did wonders for outing the three olives contingent of the community though

...perhaps that's a poor choice of words

Yeah, it was really great to finally be see solid evidence that no matter whether your an affluent straight white man or an affluent gay white man, they're all still affluent white men underneath

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

C.H.O.M.E posted:

lol brexit is screwing up everything now
lol even the new conservative government (whose voters supported it overwhelmingly) is trying to slow-walk it

quote:

Theresa May has indicated that Brexit could be delayed as she said she will not trigger the formal process for leaving the EU until there is an agreed “UK approach” backed by Scotland.

The Prime Minister on Friday travelled to Scotland to meet Nicola Sturgeon, the First Minister, and discuss plans for Britain’s Brexit negotiation....Ms Sturgeon has promised to explore every option to keep Scotland in the EU, and has repeatedly warned that if that is not possible as part of the UK, it is “highly likely” to lead to a second independence vote.
we will get right on with activating article 50 and leaving the eu just as soon as we come to complete agreement with our northern province which is unalterably opposed to the entire idea

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

FMguru posted:

lol even the new conservative government (whose voters supported it overwhelmingly) is trying to slow-walk it
we will get right on with activating article 50 and leaving the eu just as soon as we come to complete agreement with our northern province which is unalterably opposed to the entire idea

freeeeeeeedom!

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Pinterest Mom posted:

big institutional investors (pension funds, sovereign wealth, Apple Computer) can't just store cash reserves of 10 or 100 billion dollars in a vault or w/e

except they totally can if rates go negative enough to justify the risk of cash in a vault + security + insurance + the cost of space for a bunch of vaults, which neuters the ability of central banks to go deeply negative (think several full points, not bps). this is a legitimate concern for serious economists and central bankers right now, not just fringe loonies, which is totally insane.

hence crazy stuff that would have been unthinkable ten years ago like that imf paper that was posted earlier, or plans to ditch the $100 bill (if you only have small denominations it's significantly harder to keep your money in cash), or plans to ban paper money altogether. there's a floor on how low negative rates can get if cash is still a practical and legal option.

all of this suggests that monetary policy shouldn't be your only option in a downturn (and if you look at, say, the great depression, it never used to be), and congress should probably step in and provide fiscal stimulus. but that's not going to happen so here we are.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 18, 2016

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I thought the brexit referendum was non-binding. Why aren't the UK's leaders saying "nope, gently caress you"?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Can't wait until 'britianization' replaces Balkanization as the term people use

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Citizen Tayne posted:

I thought the brexit referendum was non-binding. Why aren't the UK's leaders saying "nope, gently caress you"?

They're British.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Citizen Tayne posted:

riots etc

plus it's usually a bad plan for a politician's job security to ignore the majority of your voting population

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 18, 2016

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The elderly suck at rioting.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Citizen Tayne posted:

they're super good at voting (you out of office), though

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Citizen Tayne posted:

Maybe this whole thing is stalling until they're all dead?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

eh

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Citizen Tayne posted:

they literally are saying that, they're just framing in other terms so that people can keep on pretending if they like

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

squidgee posted:

plus it's usually a bad plan for a politician's job security to ignore the majority of your voting population

im not sure this is actually true

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ignoring the majority of the voting population is more like standard operating procedure

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

squidgee posted:

they're super good at voting (you out of office), though

if the tories wont trigger article 50, none of the other parties will, either

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

fart simpson posted:

ignoring the majority of the voting population is more like standard operating procedure

yeah but you can't be overt about it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

SO DEMANDING posted:

cue hoards of idiots who don't understand that ARM doesn't actually manufacture or directly sell chips, they just license designs

too late for that. every story I've seen has described it as "Apple-supplier ARM"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Biodome posted:

best part about tech giants thinking they're celebrities is stuff like Musk getting turned away at real celebrity event after parties and being like, Do you know who I am?!

tj miller, B-list actor and weedlord of hit tv show Silicon Valley, meets Elon "Elon Musk" Musk at a party:

quote:

“Some Valley big shots have no idea how to react to the show,” Miller told me. “They can’t decide whether to be offended or flattered. And they’re mystified by the fact that actors have a kind of celebrity that they will never have—there’s no rhyme or reason to it, but that’s the way it is, and it kills them.” Miller met Musk at the after-party in Redwood City. “I think he was thrown by the fact that I wasn’t being sycophantic—which I couldn’t be, because I didn’t realize who he was at the time. He said, ‘I have some advice for your show,’ and I went, ‘No thanks, we don’t need any advice,’ which threw him even more. And then, while we’re talking, some woman comes up and says ‘Can I have a picture?’ and he starts to pose—it was kinda sad, honestly—and instead she hands the camera to him and starts to pose with me. It was, like, Sorry, dude, I know you’re a big deal—and, in his case, he actually is a big deal—but I’m the guy from ‘Yogi Bear 3-D,’ and apparently that’s who she wants a picture with.”

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Sagebrush posted:

tj miller, B-list actor and weedlord of hit tv show Silicon Valley, meets Elon "Elon Musk" Musk at a party:

i read the entire thing in erlich's voice and was not dissapointed

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

squidgee posted:

except they totally can if rates go negative enough to justify the risk of cash in a vault + security + insurance + the cost of space for a bunch of vaults, which neuters the ability of central banks to go deeply negative (think several full points, not bps). this is a legitimate concern for serious economists and central bankers right now, not just fringe loonies, which is totally insane.

hence crazy stuff that would have been unthinkable ten years ago like that imf paper that was posted earlier, or plans to ditch the $100 bill (if you only have small denominations it's significantly harder to keep your money in cash), or plans to ban paper money altogether. there's a floor on how low negative rates can get if cash is still a practical and legal option.

all of this suggests that monetary policy shouldn't be your only option in a downturn (and if you look at, say, the great depression, it never used to be), and congress should probably step in and provide fiscal stimulus. but that's not going to happen so here we are.

cool so our cyberpunk future is on schedule w/ makin paper money illegal

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what, you think cops stop killing black people at the border?

what's the acceptable rate of killing black people?

mishaq posted:

canadian levels

in canada you just need to replace "black" with "native" and you're right back in mississippi

canada was still sterilizing native women against their will up until the 1970s, and putting native children in "residential schools" (religious/social indoctrination camps) until the 1990s. and look up what a "starlight tour" is in the context of canadian police forces

canada even already has its own BLM movement for the natives, called Idle No More

canadian love to be all smug and righteous about the american treatment of black people but it's utterly shameful how many don't even know about the native situation here or assume it must be fine because canadians are just so nice and polite and friendly

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Canadians don't have any black people to be racist against.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
pro click if you wanna see some tech bubble playrooms https://twitter.com/ChappellTracker

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

cool so our cyberpunk future is on schedule w/ makin paper money illegal

can't wait for the awakening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Bhodi posted:

pro click if you wanna see some tech bubble playrooms https://twitter.com/ChappellTracker

this is amazing

• Locked thread