Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

peanut posted:

Saved in my scrapbook.

So what's notable about this one?

peanut posted:

Kitchen/dining in pink...

Smaller one would be a wet kitchen. Wait that would make it the opposite side of the dining area to the main kitchen, uuuuh.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jul 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The farmhouse I stayed in in Japan had two upstairs sections, which were not accessible from each other - you had to go down stairs and up again somewhere else. One end of the upstairs section I lived in was held up by a semi-detached portion that the grandma lived in, which was not accessible from the main house without going outside.

Architecture by accretion.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GotLag posted:

I thought that in Japan, everyone tears down their house every twenty years or so.

I’m exaggerating, but still, my understanding was that that was the preference.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

A maze of additions like those houses up there is more common. Modern bath, upstairs, mother-in-law unit, an office...

Remodeling something that sprawling can cost the same as a new house. And the old ones can be pretty lovely.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Platystemon posted:

I thought that in Japan, everyone tears down their house every twenty years or so.

I’m exaggerating, but still, my understanding was that that was the preference.

It varies. I stayed in a share house in the middle of Osaka (near Tennoji) that was pre-war. It was composed of two row houses with a door put in to their shared wall, with a half-metre wide space between it and my landlady's house/business, which you could cross by opening a door in each building and stepping across the gap. The share portion I lived in had been retrofitted with a shower but as-built it only had a toilet and if you wanted to wash you went to the local bathhouse (still in operation).

Edit: the house I stayed in in Tokyo was your standard knock-down-after-20-years shitbox

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

GotLag posted:

The farmhouse I stayed in in Japan had two upstairs sections, which were not accessible from each other - you had to go down stairs and up again somewhere else. One end of the upstairs section I lived in was held up by a semi-detached portion that the grandma lived in, which was not accessible from the main house without going outside.

The house I currently own in the US has two upstairs sections inaccesible to each other. Built in 1920's, at least 3 additions added over time.

e: Also, 2 basements not accessible to each other.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

The place I work is a mishmash of buildings that have been added over the years. There are 6 2nd floors and none are connected. They all connect on the 1st floor and sometimes the basement which gets extra confusing even knowing what building you're in.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gounads posted:

e: Also, 2 basements not accessible to each other.

This is way crazier than inaccessible upstairs areas, IMO.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Platystemon posted:

This is way crazier than inaccessible upstairs areas, IMO.

[old house][add #1][add #2]

Old house has a fieldstone basement. ~1920s
Addition #1 only has a crawlspace ~1940s
Addition #2 has a poured concrete basement 1997

A formerly exterior, load bearing wall between the crawlspace and the basement of addition #2 keeps them separate. Only reason you can get from old basement to addition #1 crawlspace is because someone wrenched out some boulders from the original fieldstone cellar wall there.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Boogalo posted:

The place I work is a mishmash of buildings that have been added over the years. There are 6 2nd floors and none are connected. They all connect on the 1st floor and sometimes the basement which gets extra confusing even knowing what building you're in.

I have bad flashbacks to Silent Hill when I'm in buildings like this. Do you have a lot of coworkers mumbling about monsters or finding their daughters/wives?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Japanese culture doesn't really have the reverence for old things that Western culture does. There's a (Buddhist?) temple that's famous for being torn down and rebuilt every 7 years, for example.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

FISHMANPET posted:

Japanese culture doesn't really have the reverence for old things that Western culture does. There's a (Buddhist?) temple that's famous for being torn down and rebuilt every 7 years, for example.

Shinto. Every 20 years. And a lot of them don't get torn down, they just move the god(s) every few years to keep things fresh.

But anyhoo, that's bullshit, Japan loves it's history and old stuff. One could say the same about Americans, we tear down historical old stuff all the time to put in parking lots and strip malls.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 18, 2016

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Suspect Bucket posted:

Shinto. Every 20 years. And a lot of them don't get torn down, they just move the god(s) every few years to keep things fresh.

But anyhoo, that's bullshit, Japan loves it's history and old stuff. One could say the same about Americans, we tear down historical old stuff all the time to put in parking lots and strip malls.

Isn't there some japan.txt about a tourist disappointed that some old looking building was a replica of the original? Then finding out out said replica was built in 1492 or whatever.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
One of the oldest companies on the planet is a Japanese construction company from the 10th century or something.

I wonder what their warranty looks like

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

canyoneer posted:

One of the oldest companies on the planet is a Japanese construction company from the 10th century or something.

I wonder what their warranty looks like

There are Japanese companies from the sixth. I had no idea https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oldest_companies

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

There are very old things here but buildings tend to be wooden only (few iron resources) paired with high humidity and frequent natural disasters. It was better to make houses out of parts that were easily exchangeable.

Then electricity, plumbing and A/C were invented and no one wants to live in a mud hut anymore.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Boogalo posted:

Ugh. This reminds me of my old college library. They added an addition to the main stacks where the new floors were in-between the stack floors. I think the plan was to have it make a spiral with short staircases connecting the alternating floors, but that only happened on s6-a5.5, and s3-a3.5. Otherwise you'd need to take the elevator to a connector lobby where the different elevator systems met, level 3 or the basement archives, and jump on the other system. You could also take the addition fire stairs down to the ground floor, exit at the back of the building, run around to an entrance and either get on the stack fire stairs or the elevator at the ground floor; you couldn't do this in reverse, though because the addition fire stairs were locked against outside entry, and that sucked because that meant there was no access to the addition from the ground floor. You had to go find a connector point and cross over. Well either that or take a 6ft jump to the floor below you because the alternating floors were open to each other, just not accessible.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

there wolf posted:

Ugh. This reminds me of my old college library. They added an addition to the main stacks where the new floors were in-between the stack floors. I think the plan was to have it make a spiral with short staircases connecting the alternating floors, but that only happened on s6-a5.5, and s3-a3.5. Otherwise you'd need to take the elevator to a connector lobby where the different elevator systems met, level 3 or the basement archives, and jump on the other system. You could also take the addition fire stairs down to the ground floor, exit at the back of the building, run around to an entrance and either get on the stack fire stairs or the elevator at the ground floor; you couldn't do this in reverse, though because the addition fire stairs were locked against outside entry, and that sucked because that meant there was no access to the addition from the ground floor. You had to go find a connector point and cross over. Well either that or take a 6ft jump to the floor below you because the alternating floors were open to each other, just not accessible.

Need a bunch of firemans poles and climbing ropes.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

there wolf posted:

Well either that or take a 6ft jump to the floor below you because the alternating floors were open to each other, just not accessible.
This is video game architecture.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Boogalo posted:

So, hospital or funeral home? Those are the two businesses I know of offhand that tend to seriously accrete over the years.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nuevo posted:

So, hospital or funeral home? Those are the two businesses I know of offhand that tend to seriously accrete over the years.

Could be university

Ours didn't so much grow as metastasize.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
I stayed at a hotel in Edinburgh where in order to get to my room I had to

- Enter the ground floor foyer and take a lift to the 6th floor
- Go right, right, left and then straight across a skybridge over a street to the neighbouring building
- Find the lift and take it down to the 5th floor
- Exit and find my room

Every hallway was at a slightly different elevation as well so you were going up and down 3 stair flights the whole time.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Guy with a Jersey Shore beach house decides the a stone yard hurts his feet too much and also that his shower need more very temporary "drainage" so he does some lovely digging and then covers it with shredded tire mulch (FYI, that poo poo floats and and also turns harder than stone in a couple years of sun exposure):

https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY/comments/4tfe7w/resurfaced_my_entire_back_yard_with_rubber/

Highlowlights:

This got so bad even for reddit that the subreddit moderators locked the comments.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Motronic posted:

Guy with a Jersey Shore beach house decides the a stone yard hurts his feet too much and also that his shower need more very temporary "drainage" so he does some lovely digging and then covers it with shredded tire mulch (FYI, that poo poo floats and and also turns harder than stone in a couple years of sun exposure):

https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY/comments/4tfe7w/resurfaced_my_entire_back_yard_with_rubber/

Highlowlights:

This got so bad even for reddit that the subreddit moderators locked the comments.

It looks nice, though.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Motronic posted:

Highlowlights:

Yeeeeesssss. I love bad reddit brag-projects so much.

Pros:
    contractor will make money fixing this mess

Cons:
    cost $1,100
    possibly causes cancer (research doesn't need to be done to notice the odor/fumes from the rubber)
    looks terrible (x3 top comments)
    will wash away in the next storm (beach house)
    dyes your shoes
    melts in the dryer when your kids leave one in the pocket
    foundation damage (a huge issue for old beach houses which often have sand foundations)
    hurts worse than rocks to walk on (gets hard)
    traps moisture causing humidity and rust
    gets tracked into the house
    one user reports issues with flecks of steel from original tire manufacturing - "3,000lbs of mulch, you should only - have about a pound and a half of metal strewn around the backyard"
    smells terrible
    "tire-fire" flammable
    hard to clean leaves and sticks (can't just rake, wash, or blow)
    cat poop stays wet
    city might fine him and tell him to remove it
    fix will cost another $750 to purchase back the river rocks he gave away and another 4 days of labor
    termite inspector has to crawl over those leftover rocks thrown under your house now

Jerry Cotton posted:

It looks nice, though.

Did you see the "Before" 'cause the "Before" looked a lot better:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MisterOblivious posted:

How could I have? Also I wouldn't want my back yard to look like a Satan's field.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
This may not be OSHA but it's another bad reddit brag-project gone dangerous.

This is one of the "bends" of a 50cc moped build:

look at how this headstock is attached:

I could probably bust the most important connection on that frame just by sitting on it too quickly. That's not to mention that the only brake is in the front so you're putting the full weight of the rider, and bike, and inertia through that lovely weld every time you slow down.

https://hackaday.com/2016/07/12/fail-of-the-week-how-not-to-build-your-own-motorcycle/

I'm actually less annoyed about the kids putting Chinese moped kits on their Walmart bikes now.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Where do you put your feet :confused:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Jerry Cotton posted:

How could I have? Also I wouldn't want my back yard to look like a Satan's field.

Grover's shaved pubes is a better look?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MisterOblivious posted:

Grover's shaved pubes is a better look?

You know it :mmmhmm:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Motronic posted:

Highlowlights:

Why? why why why aaagh

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

You know it's bad when you look at the thumbnail and think 'did they put shag carpeting outside?' only to realize it's actually something far, far worse.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://imgur.com/a/55yET

Argh thats the entire album along with his project notes. :cry:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I can't tell if I'm more confused by the rubber or the fact that thing is called a yard.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

SynthOrange posted:

http://imgur.com/a/55yET

Argh thats the entire album along with his project notes. :cry:

That dude's got issues with his wife. Also, how do you live on the beach and not have a bunch of cheap rear end flip flops?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

MisterOblivious posted:

If he didn't want to walk on those rocks (which I kind of get), why wouldn't you just buy some big rocks/pavers and use them to make a stepping-stone path on top of that? It would still be kind of lovely, but it would be a fraction of the price and not be a health/fire hazard.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Where do you put your feet :confused:
You keep them on the ground so when that thing falls apart you're already standing up.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Ashcans posted:

If he didn't want to walk on those rocks (which I kind of get), why wouldn't you just buy some big rocks/pavers and use them to make a stepping-stone path on top of that? It would still be kind of lovely, but it would be a fraction of the price and not be a health/fire hazard.

If you have a closer look (there is also a better photo in the imgur collection), there seem to be stepping stones already, which he then ripped out. You can also kind of see them lined up in the middle behind the AC cabinet in the picture you quoted. I think the post said they were in "bad places", but why he didn't just move them or replace them with bigger/better ones, only he knows.

10 Beers posted:

That dude's got issues with his wife. Also, how do you live on the beach and not have a bunch of cheap rear end flip flops?

That paragraph made me gulp slightly as well; seems like a lovely relationship (yet somehow it doesn't surprise me that he's active on reddit :v:). For those who missed it:

Blue rubber mulch casts cancer, it's very effective posted:

My wife wanted blue mulch, like the ocean. As with all things, I am completely skeptical of all decisions she makes and instantly knee-jerk to the opposing position/stance/opinion that she has.

But I really like this. I just won't tell her that.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Well then, have we considered that he is subconsciously trying to make the exterior of the house match the toxic, uncomfortable situation on the inside? :stare:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

This lovely mulch is a reflection of my soul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I'm blue da boo dee da boo dai da boo deee da boo dai