Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Just buy whichever evga one you can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Rabid Snake posted:

ugh polaris and pascal

the P got me.

I guess I'm venting on paying $430 on an AIB nvidia card when it was supposed to be $380 msrp wise. Vega please save us

Oh please, you want to see venting?

These said they were In Stock when I ordered them. IN STOCK. Now they are just stealthily bumping up the estimated delivery dates for eternity after they already took my promo gift cards, and I can't ask for a refund because the credit will go back on the expired cards.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Your daily r/AMD report: apparently some Sapphire guy blabbed out that their 480s are still being tweaked and can hopefully enter production, soon :suicide:
Now the video has been taken down.
OcUK and computerbase are ready to ship/review 1060s tomorrow with lots in stock, we'll see how long it lasts.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

sauer kraut posted:

Your daily r/AMD report: apparently some Sapphire guy blabbed out that their 480s are still being tweaked and can hopefully enter production, soon :suicide:
Now the video has been taken down.
OcUK and computerbase are ready to ship/review 1060s tomorrow with lots in stock, we'll see how long it lasts.

can hopefully enter production?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
http://wccftech.com/powercolor-rx-480-devil-clock-speeds-leak/

wccftech etc

sout
Apr 24, 2014

nice little star of david there

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

sout posted:

nice little star of david there

quote:

$312

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I always wanted a Jewish GPU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

If it's over $300, gently caress that. Doesn't that make it worse performance per dollar than the $450 GTX 1070s?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Twerk from Home posted:

If it's over $300, gently caress that. Doesn't that make it worse performance per dollar than the $450 GTX 1070s?

Yes... by a lot.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.
Meanwhile, no reliable release data on the RX 470, which unlike the RX 480 should actually be an attractive proposition for its price bracket.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Skuto posted:

Meanwhile, no reliable release data on the RX 470, which unlike the RX 480 should actually be an attractive proposition for its price bracket.

In everybody's favorite irrelevant benchmark Ashes of the Singularity, the RX480 is only 3% faster than the RX 470 apparently.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Rabid Snake posted:

Consumers can poo poo on Pascal all they want with their lovely MSRP founder edition tactics. $100 (1080) / $70 (1070) premium for early adopters is pretty crappy to do. It's been a couple of months and we still haven't seen any cards go for true MSRP value. What a joke marketing wise.

This is exactly why I like to peruse these threads and watch people melt down over the most insignificant things. Money + Impatience - Common Sense = Big Laughs

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Should I just get this instead of waiting for AIB 480?

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16814150729

I already have Warhammer so this key will be sold. Any experience with XFX rebates? Theres also a MSI 390 for $15 more.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer
I got really excited when I realized my Accelero Xtreme IV would be arriving Thursday because I'm looking forward to messing around with it.

And then I realized I would be at the beach until Sunday on a fishing trip so I doubt I'll get around to it until sometime next week. RIP. Sidenote never order from the Arctic site itself. Ship times are terrible.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
I'm kind of disappointed that PowerColor isn't doing a dual 480 card like they did with the 290 and 390.

With the 490 probably not coming out this year there's a big gap at the AMD top-end and if they could manage to get a dual 480 out for ~$600 you know there would be plenty of AMD diehards that would eat it up.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Green Gloves posted:

I already have Warhammer so this key will be sold. Any experience with XFX rebates? Theres also a MSI 390 for $15 more.

I wouldn't, it puts out an extra hundo watts at all times.

You could get the non-AIB 4gb XFX 480 and flash it to 8gb then slap on a $30 custom cooler like I did a few pages back.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Green Gloves posted:

I have an MSI Gaming R9 390. The problem is that the card produces 275W of heat when maxed out. No matter how good the cooler, moving that amount of heat off of the card and out of the case is hard to do quietly. The card becomes quite audible when running at full load.

If you absolutely don't care for that and always game with headphones, then this isn't an issue.

But I'd wait.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Krailor posted:

I'm kind of disappointed that PowerColor isn't doing a dual 480 card like they did with the 290 and 390.

With the 490 probably not coming out this year there's a big gap at the AMD top-end and if they could manage to get a dual 480 out for ~$600 you know there would be plenty of AMD diehards that would eat it up.

They might with the 490 or the flagship card but it doesn't make sense to have a dual-midrange card.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Paul MaudDib posted:

They might with the 490 or the flagship card but it doesn't make sense to have a dual-midrange card.

Yeah if you want a dual GPU AMD card you can get that one with two Fury chips on it for $1500. $_$

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Paul MaudDib posted:

Hasn't AMD done this in the past a bunch of times with other midrange-ish chips? The 3000 to 5000 series come to mind.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

MrBond posted:

Hasn't AMD done this in the past a bunch of times with other midrange-ish chips? The 3000 to 5000 series come to mind.

I know there was a dual GTX 760 Asus card so it's been done on Nvidia's side at least. It made no sense at all when it came out.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Quoting myself RE: Simultanius Multi-Projection

Harik posted:

That seems like exactly the kind of thing the driver could handle properly - present the surface as an ultra-ultrawide single display to the game, then do multi-projection based on the monitor positions you defined in the setup.

Even in vulkan/DX12 that should be interceptable, since the data buffers wouldn't need changing and you have to convert the command buffers to the hardware-internal commands in the driver already.

It would be useful for single ultrawide curved monitors as well.

I've only done simple (but modern) GL4 work, so I may be missing something. Fragment shaders only get a U/V from the hardware post-vertex shader, and vertex shaders get their x/y/z fed to them by the hardware. At what stage does the game-code need to know any more than the display resolution?

Either it got lost in the price noise or it was such a stupid question nobody deigned to answer it.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Twerk from Home posted:

Ocuk have it listed for £250, I can't see it being over $300 unless Ocuk have hosed up their pricing.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

Lol why are you comparing AMD Fury to anything? They sold what, a dozen of them?

Why did the Fury sell so poorly?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
It really was an overclockers dream

twxabfn
May 12, 2006

Your last, best hope for ROCK in 300,000 kilometers
I finally got to install my 1070 last week and so far it's awesome, although one thing I've encountered is kind of weird.

When I auto-detect settings in Talos Principle, it sets everything to Ultra except for GPU Speed, which it sets to Medium. If I switch it to Ultra manually, it does 60fps just fine, and Shadow of Mordor auto-detected everything to max. Anybody know what could be happening?

Rest of the system is i5-4590 / 16GB RAM. Card itself is the EVGA 1070 SC, drivers are fresh after DDU. I do have a weird resolution set (1842x1038 or something) thanks to overscan issues with my current TV.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Harik posted:

Either it got lost in the price noise or it was such a stupid question nobody deigned to answer it.

A few reasons you can't do SMP implicitly off the top of my head:

1. The driver has no reliable way to know which render targets need multi-projecting (you don't want to multi-project things like shadowmaps)
2. Raytracing/raymarching effects like SSR, POM & HBAO would break since they skip the VS transform and handle the projection manually
3. The frustum the engine expects and what actually gets rendered would be different, causing too much stuff to get frustum culled

Maybe you could pull it off with enough game-specific hacks but it's just not worth the effort.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Phlegmish posted:

Why did the Fury sell so poorly?

Because it was an idea whose underlying technology was not quite yet ripe? Between 4GB vram, 28nm process, HBM2 still on the horizon, GDDR5X coming out just now, underfunded driver teams, and DX12/Vulkan not "out" yet, it seems like if they had just held off a year...

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

twxabfn posted:

I finally got to install my 1070 last week and so far it's awesome, although one thing I've encountered is kind of weird.

When I auto-detect settings in Talos Principle, it sets everything to Ultra except for GPU Speed, which it sets to Medium. If I switch it to Ultra manually, it does 60fps just fine, and Shadow of Mordor auto-detected everything to max. Anybody know what could be happening?

Rest of the system is i5-4590 / 16GB RAM. Card itself is the EVGA 1070 SC, drivers are fresh after DDU. I do have a weird resolution set (1842x1038 or something) thanks to overscan issues with my current TV.
The game's settings logic probably doesn't recognize the magnificence of your GPU. It is probably just programmed to do X if 980 is present, do Y if 290X is present, do Z if 950 is present. Your GPU's hardware IDs probably aren't in its database, so the game just goes to some kind of default, maybe?

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

twxabfn posted:

Game auto detect for graphics are always notoriously bad at detecting newer cards properly. I never trust them anyways and just set everything up manually.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Palladium posted:

New Steam May-Jun numbers came in, and the 1080/1070 combined at +0.30% overall share is already more than the 970 at +0.22%.

The meme that the high-end GPU segment is a tiny minority of the market is something that needs to die.

Where are you seeing these numbers? Looking at the latest hardware survey, I don't see the Pascal cards anywhere.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

God I really wish AMD had some better cards out so I could go for a FreeSync monitor.
I really hope one of the standards becomes universal soon, because the *Sync division encouraging/forcing users to remain with one company is really lovely, I don't want to have to think about whether the card I want to have in 5 years will work properly with my existing monitors or whatever.

e: \/ I've had a reference Powercolor 7870 for just under 4 years and never really had any issues with it (well besides the one I had to RMA after a few days when it started artefacting everything...)

sout fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 18, 2016

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Are there certain brands of cards that people find more reliable? I vaguely remember that people used to say Saphire and Powercolor were superior when it came to AMD cards, especially reference boards, but I don't know if that still holds true. Which manufacturers do people like for Nvidia?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Gunder posted:

Are there certain brands of cards that people find more reliable? I vaguely remember that people used to say Saphire and Powercolor were superior when it came to AMD cards, especially reference boards, but I don't know if that still holds true. Which manufacturers do people like for Nvidia?

EVGA was recommended to me at the top of the page for a 1060.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Gunder posted:

Nvidia has a "greenlight" program where supposedly all brands are held to the same standards of components. Any card can fail so you should go with whoever has the best RMA system (EVGA and MSI).

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

sout posted:

God I really wish AMD had some better cards out so I could go for a FreeSync monitor.
I really hope one of the standards becomes universal soon, because the *Sync division encouraging/forcing users to remain with one company is really lovely, I don't want to have to think about whether the card I want to have in 5 years will work properly with my existing monitors or whatever.

e: \/ I've had a reference Powercolor 7870 for just under 4 years and never really had any issues with it (well besides the one I had to RMA after a few days when it started artefacting everything...)

Blame Nvidia. Nothing stopping them using freesync, it's part of the vesa displayport standard.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

HalloKitty posted:

Blame Nvidia. Nothing stopping them using freesync, it's part of the vesa displayport standard.

It's an _optional_ part of the VESA DisplayPort standard.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

sout posted:

right? i'm looking at 1440p monitors and ultrawides, i don't want to buy something without adaptive sync but gsync adds so much to the price. plus i gotta hope if i do buy one it doesn't just become irrelevant in three years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
I've got my sights set on a 1070, but the prices and availability are still pretty iffy. I can put up with my 560Ti for just a little while longer if those are likely to improve in the next couple of months. That $399.99 Gigabyte on Newegg oughta come back in stock eventually, right? :shepspends: