Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Y-Hat posted:

people saw angry birds?

Well, yeah, 337.7 million USD in box office.
I've watched all of it for free, however. It's a really bad cartoon full of inappropriate jokes about pregnant women and thinly veiled xenophobia. Like, I'm far from being a superwoke turbolefty who would over-analyse children's cartoons, but it's really, really hard not to read it that way. The writer for it used to work on Simpsons, too, so it's not a big reach to see him simply testing what he would get away with, but no one at Rovio or whoever was responsible for approving the script picked up on obvious parallels due to being extremely Finnish. I don't know. The point is it's a really bad cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I was taking a look at upcoming films on Rotten Tomatoes and here's one I'm actually interested in (and is relevant to the thread)

Can We Take A Joke? posted:

In the age of social media, nearly every day brings a new eruption of outrage. While people have always found something to be offended by, their ability to organize a groundswell of opposition to-and public censure of-their offender has never been more powerful. Today we're all one clumsy joke away from public ruin. Can We Take A Joke? offers a thought-provoking and wry exploration of outrage culture through the lens of stand-up comedy, with notables like Gilbert Gottfried, Penn Jillette, Lisa Lampanelli, and Adam Carolla detailing its stifling impact on comedy and the exchange of ideas. What will future will be like if we can't learn how to take a joke?

Sounds neat and I hope it's good.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Cowman posted:

I was taking a look at upcoming films on Rotten Tomatoes and here's one I'm actually interested in (and is relevant to the thread)

Sounds neat and I hope it's good.

I'm a giant goon and I think fat jokes are great. My undulating rotundness is inherently absurd. So, I guess some people can take a joke.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

gilbert gottfried has a great podcast, every other episode he talks about the rumor that cesar romero liked to pull down his pants and have boy toys throw orange wedges at his bare rear end

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

can we be done with the culture war or are sites built on clickbait too invested in keeping it going

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Been reading the CineD thread (lol, why?) and people describing the scenes in the film make it sound exactly how I'd imagine a Paul Fieg Ghostbusters film to be like. An extended sequence where Wiig is trying to hide her monitor from someone and it just keeps going and going as she ad-libs more and more wacky ways to obscure the screen? Sure. He's just let the camera roll and said, "Just go for it, Wiig." Like in SPY where you have the scene with Miranda Hart and someone else ad-libbing and doing a bit about working in this spy centre and they just get into generic office jokes, "The walls are full of rats!" etc. You think this is going to mean something, like this spy centre, which until that point has looked and operated like the most slick nasa poo poo you could imagine, is actually a facade and it's falling down around them... But no. Fieg just said, "Have fun!" And then you get a scene about rats in the walls that amounts to nothing.

I'd love to read the actual script. Not the retro-scripted, finished script. The one he had on location.

"Says here we're filming the scene where we discuss the ghost the threw up on Wiig. The page is blank, Paul."
"Just go for it. Have fun!"

Then Wiig talks about slime in her rear end.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Paladinus posted:

inappropriate jokes about pregnant women and thinly veiled xenophobia

were they funny though or are you incapable of processing transgressive humour as a rule

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

natetimm posted:

If you want to watch something compelling with a female lead go watch the Netflix series Stranger Things because goddamn it is so good.

drat good show its like speilberg made a a stephen king tv series with fantastic child actors

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'd like to see a remake of Knight Rider, only it's set after the ice caps have melted and the whole planet is flooded except for one small island. KITT is now an electric golf buggy, and the only other car left is also a golf buggy. Each week the plot is that a villain steals the normal golf buggy, so Michael and KITT have to very slowly chase him for 45 minutes before using Turbo Boost to jump across a small crack in the island's one road.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Sony's president of marketing and distribution Josh Greenstein has gone on record saying that they're "ecstatic" with Feig's Ghostbusters and they're planning on making a whole bunch of sequels

quote:

“There absolutely will be more [films],” said Josh Greenstein, Sony’s marketing and distribution chief. “This is a restart of one of our most important brands.”
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/ghostbusters-box-office-1201816000/

quote:

But ticket sales for “Ghostbusters” were strong enough to merit revelry nonetheless. “We’re totally ecstatic,” Josh Greenstein, Sony’s president of marketing and distribution, said by phone.

quote:

Mr. Greenstein said he expected the generously reviewed reboot to perform well in the weeks ahead. “Paul’s movies have big, huge, high multiples, and there are no big comedies on the horizon,” he said. Amid more straightforward summer remakes and sequels, “the movie is both new and nostalgic, which makes it stand out,” he added.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/18/movies/ghostbusters-is-no-2-behind-secret-life-of-pets-but-sonys-giddy.html?_r=0

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Lol there's definitely not going to be another ghost busters. Sony is a trash company being kept on life support by the ps4.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
"generously reviewed"

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
an unusual bit of honesty

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Uncle Wemus posted:

can we be done with the culture war or are sites built on clickbait too invested in keeping it going

The Hulkster took down gawker. Now, he's comin' for vice and clickhole, brother!

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Dreddout posted:

The Hulkster took down gawker. Now, he's comin' for vice and clickhole, brother!

not clickhole :ohdear:

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
I'm sure Dreddout just misspoke and meant Buzzfeed

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Vince MechMahon posted:

The best thing about the IMDB ratings is that if you remove all the ratings from men it actually lines up almost exactly with it's Rotten Tomatoes percentage at about a 7.7.

Just got back from it, and while it kind of falls apart in the third act (feels like they needed one more polish on the script, or something was cut in the edit that makes it becoming 1970s Times Square actually thematically relevant because as it is, it isn't), the movie as a whole was pretty good I'd give it a solid 7.5/8 depending on how charitable I was feeling about the last act. The cast makes even the weaker stuff work, and McKinnon steals the god drat show.

lmao cined is a great sub forums

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Do it ironically posted:

lmao cined is a great sub forums

LOL who the gently caress rates anything on a 1-8 scale?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

eric posted:

Base eight, so what?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Sony's president of marketing and distribution Josh Greenstein has gone on record saying that they're "ecstatic" with Feig's Ghostbusters and they're planning on making a whole bunch of sequels

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/ghostbusters-box-office-1201816000/

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/18/movies/ghostbusters-is-no-2-behind-secret-life-of-pets-but-sonys-giddy.html?_r=0

lol. greenstein sounds like such a lying whore its not even funny.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Whoever does the marketing at Sony is a loving genius for spinning this whole thing as controversial. If everybody just shrugged their shoulders at the female cast this would be forgotten as quickly as the Total Recall or RoboCop remakes.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Watership Down but with rabbit sized human women instead

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Whoever does the marketing at Sony is a loving genius for spinning this whole thing as controversial. If everybody just shrugged their shoulders at the female cast this would be forgotten as quickly as the Total Recall or RoboCop remakes.

I saw the Total Recall remake and I literally only remembered it existed because someone mentioned it earlier in this thread. A good movie, I assume.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

eric posted:

He's saying he's torn between giving it a 7.5 or an 8.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

1500quidporsche posted:

Robocop should have had feminists complaining. The original had Lewis as a tough cop and Murphy's partner with no romantic interest. The remake turned Lewis into a man. Disgraceful.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Internaut! posted:

were they funny though or are you incapable of processing transgressive humour as a rule

It's a loving Angry Birds movie. What do you think?

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

Drunken Baker posted:

Been reading the CineD thread (lol, why?) and people describing the scenes in the film make it sound exactly how I'd imagine a Paul Fieg Ghostbusters film to be like. An extended sequence where Wiig is trying to hide her monitor from someone and it just keeps going and going as she ad-libs more and more wacky ways to obscure the screen? Sure. He's just let the camera roll and said, "Just go for it, Wiig." Like in SPY where you have the scene with Miranda Hart and someone else ad-libbing and doing a bit about working in this spy centre and they just get into generic office jokes, "The walls are full of rats!" etc. You think this is going to mean something, like this spy centre, which until that point has looked and operated like the most slick nasa poo poo you could imagine, is actually a facade and it's falling down around them... But no. Fieg just said, "Have fun!" And then you get a scene about rats in the walls that amounts to nothing.

I'd love to read the actual script. Not the retro-scripted, finished script. The one he had on location.

"Says here we're filming the scene where we discuss the ghost the threw up on Wiig. The page is blank, Paul."
"Just go for it. Have fun!"

Then Wiig talks about slime in her rear end.

Thst scene with the covering the monitor lasts about 40 seconds and most of that is Charles Dance telling her she needs a better reference than Princeton and giving her poo poo about her clothes.
Saw the movie yesterday it's alright apart from if there's anything to dislike then it's that it seems to trying to riff on the Marvel formula complete with a weak third act, also it seems not to be I interested in the main plot with the antagonist which to be fair so we're both the other Ghostbusters movies.
Everything else is pretty good the scenes with the ghosts are fairly creepy in a horror comic way (they do the dumb 3D thing with the ghosts rushing at you which my kid loved), it's pretty funny and the characters are pretty interesting and three dimensional (even the kooky one that I thought I was going to hate was ok)

It,s what you would expect from a reboot/late squeal and it's much better than Jurassic World was last year.

But I dunno buddy you talking some real whiney poo poo there maybe don't do the goofy thing of trying to piece together a movie by reading people's comments maybe just go and see it if your that interested or forget about it.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

So star trek is this friday which will probably be no 1. Then what, suicide squad which could go either way

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Saw the movie yesterday it's alright apart from if there's anything to dislike then it's that it seems to trying to riff on the Marvel formula complete with a weak third act

yeah you can't blame a studio for trying to cargo cult marvel's success, it's like 10 years ago when World of Warcraft became a monster and every game studio shat out an MMO in response

of course they all failed but DC/Sony/et al will learn this lesson the hard way

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Uncle Wemus posted:

Then what, suicide squad which could go either way

I hope it fails, hard, if only because Harley Quinn casually carrying a baseball bat over her shoulders fills me with rage every time I see it now. Based on the previews it looks like she does that A LOT in the movie, and the concept art for the movie has her in the same pose. It's like they built her character around her carrying a baseball bat over her shoulders.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Pvt.Scott posted:

I saw the Total Recall remake and I literally only remembered it existed because someone mentioned it earlier in this thread. A good movie, I assume.

Bryan Cranston, one of my favorite actors, is in that, and it completely evaporated from my memory.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

lol. greenstein sounds like such a lying whore its not even funny.

To put it mildly, yeah. It seems like this is code speak for "We're doing more Ghostbusters related properties"

Pvt.Scott posted:

I remember it was bad, but i can't remember any particular scene in it that made me go "this is dumb" or that got me angry/annoyed.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 18, 2016

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

eric posted:

there's a lot to poo poo on cined about but the guy's obviously just torn between a 7.5 and 8. No need to be dumb about it.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Cowman posted:

not clickhole :ohdear:

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

I'm sure Dreddout just misspoke and meant Buzzfeed

I don't know what the gently caress I'm talking about, honestly. :shrug:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

I hope it fails, hard, if only because Harley Quinn casually carrying a baseball bat over her shoulders fills me with rage every time I see it now. Based on the previews it looks like she does that A LOT in the movie, and the concept art for the movie has her in the same pose. It's like they built her character around her carrying a baseball bat over her shoulders.

I want to like it, but the joker looks so dumb its not even funny.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I want to like it, but the joker looks so dumb its not even funny.

that, plus while casting Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn was a good move, it looks like she didn't even try to replicate the Harley Quinn voice, which is one of the things people remember most about the character

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Troy Queef posted:

that, plus while casting Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn was a good move, it looks like she didn't even try to replicate the Harley Quinn voice, which is one of the things people remember most about the character

well. i dont think she can even do the voice. they hired her because she can play it "physically"

wonder how will smith will do in it? he looks good in the deadshot outfit.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-analysis-why-ghostbusters-911836?utm_source=twitter

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

lol. the "social progressives" wont go see the movie, just like they wont buy your games, trying to dovetail your ad campain and articles exclusively to them directly and making GBS threads on everyone else will only backfire. its the same with the right and trying to get voters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Command Ant posted:

"generously reviewed"
i read two "positive" reviews that were lukewarm and had reservations, and i imagine a lot of the positive reviews on RT are the same way, lest the critics be accused of misogyny or other thought crimes

Troy Queef posted:

here's a controversial idea: hire an American actress to play an American comic book villain, instead of importing one from Australia

i'll never vote for donald trump, but if he brings up how many american movie roles are played by aussies, brits etc. and how that should stop, i'll agree with him. bonus points if he brings up Rebel Wilson and points to the fact that there's no shortage of fat blond American women who can do the same thing she does

• Locked thread