Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Aerox posted:

I've come back to Monster Hunter after giving 4 and Tri a go. I was terrible at Tri and gave up on it. I got about 20 hours into 4 and was finally getting the hang of it but real life made me put it down and I've completely forgotten almost everything skill-wise I learned from it.

Generations seems pretty great, but I'm already overwhelmed with the styles and even more weapons than before. I mained switch axe in 4 but it feels really, really different in this one (or more likely I just forgot how to use it) and I dropped it almost immediately. I've only done the very first gathering quest so I'm not committed at all -- what's a solid weapon+style combination that's good for someone with base familiarity with the game but never got very far in any of the previous ones? It seems like every time I play this game I end up picking a weapon that I didn't realize was way too complicated for my beginner skill level and get frustrated and give up.

guild style or adept hammer

hold r to charge twice, slam down, keep pressing a to do a golf swing

graduate to aerial hammer where you leap on a monster and bash it back to the stone age

it has two moves and it loving owns

Deviant posted:

I'm here to preach the word of the Heavy Bowgun.

what gun/armor is any good? I got the najarala with bujabujabu and it's just okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Kinda surprised no one has come up with a large barrel bomb with steaks nailed to it just for Devil Jho hunts.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

SnS is always a solid contender for "easy to pick up", but so is Greatsword. I think Aerial SnS or Aerial GS are both really good choices. It simplifies GS's effective moveset, and in both cases it makes it easy to topple the monster so everybody can clown on it and speed up the fight a little. SnS in particular hits twice- once on the way up, and once when you do your actual aerial attack. I think Swaxe Sword Mode does that, too.

edit: or do Adept Lance if you just wish you were playing Dark Souls :v:

Thanks; I think I'll give aerial greatsword a try. SnS never appealed to me visually but greatsword seems cool.

korofrog
Dec 15, 2006
smell my face!!!

Aerox posted:

I've come back to Monster Hunter after giving 4 and Tri a go. I was terrible at Tri and gave up on it. I got about 20 hours into 4 and was finally getting the hang of it but real life made me put it down and I've completely forgotten almost everything skill-wise I learned from it.

Generations seems pretty great, but I'm already overwhelmed with the styles and even more weapons than before. I mained switch axe in 4 but it feels really, really different in this one (or more likely I just forgot how to use it) and I dropped it almost immediately. I've only done the very first gathering quest so I'm not committed at all -- what's a solid weapon+style combination that's good for someone with base familiarity with the game but never got very far in any of the previous ones? It seems like every time I play this game I end up picking a weapon that I didn't realize was way too complicated for my beginner skill level and get frustrated and give up.

I don't think SA is very different from MH4U. My suggestion would be to stick with guild style first and get used to the weapon again and then figure out what kind of style you actually prefer. I'm currently doing this with LS but mostly because I like fad slashing to my left/right and don't want to give that up for striker. I'll play around aerial and adept later but I probably won't go for adept. I can't get the hang of last second dodging as my instinct is to not be there well before the attack hits if at all possible.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

korofrog posted:

I don't think SA is very different from MH4U. My suggestion would be to stick with guild style first and get used to the weapon again and then figure out what kind of style you actually prefer. I'm currently doing this with LS but mostly because I like fad slashing to my left/right and don't want to give that up for striker. I'll play around aerial and adept later but I probably won't go for adept. I can't get the hang of last second dodging as my instinct is to not be there well before the attack hits if at all possible.

Adept is a weird bird. Some monsters are really easy to do with Adept, like all three of the demo monsters. Things with giant tells, basically. I expect to clown on Deviljho and Zinogre all day. I was fighting Guild Narajala yesterday, though, and I think the only thing I could reliably dodge through was his bite. All his body blows were too fast for me to deal with if I was already close enough to be hitting him. Blangolala is also kinda tough. I can Adept Dodge his flying clothesline pretty easily, but his closer-range punches hit me before I realize what's going on.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

What do you all prefer for hammer time, aerial or adept?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Hammer has one of the best (and easiest) Adepts of the game so my vote goes to Adept.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Ciaphas posted:

Guild, actually. Adept dodge is quite nice and all but I can't stand losing the LV2 charge uppercut. Plus I really like having two arts, all three Hammer arts are really good.

Aerox posted:

Striker Longsword is great and extremely simple. Gauge management becomes super easy. The Sakura Slash art instantly bumps you up an entire level and Unhinged Spirit gives you infinite gauge for up to 90(!) seconds. For your third art you can take Absolute Evasion if you feel that Critical Juncture (the final LS-specific counter art) is too hard to use.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Solo I go 100% aerial, get those easy mounts and finish the quest sub 5 minutes every time. Save your meteor smash for after the mount and slam jam.

Multi I would go aerial if no one else is, but adept otherwise.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Ciaphas posted:

I still like guild a bunch but adept is fun. I just don't like the weird floaty dodge associated with aerial. Maybe you just get used to it?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Lexorin posted:

Kinda surprised no one has come up with a large barrel bomb with steaks nailed to it just for Devil Jho hunts.

No one wants a pickle that spicy

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Aerox posted:

Thanks; I think I'll give aerial greatsword a try. SnS never appealed to me visually but greatsword seems cool.

Greatsword is strong, feels good and has some awesome weapon models. And it doesn't really have subsystems to track like many of the other weapons. Keep in mind that you're meant to spend most of your time running around with the weapon sheathed since you move so slow when it's drawn.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Honestly I would probably go for Adept hammer right away if it werent for the fact that it's missing the L2 charge uppercut approach, that move is baller as heck

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I really like all the new tricks SnS got in MHG, but looking at the weapon oils, 100 wycademy points a pop seems expensive for something you're meant to apply several of each hunt. I feel like that'd be a significant reduction in income. Are the points plentiful enough (and other things to spend them on scarce enough) that I just shouldn't worry about it?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You know how I farmed for hours and hours in MH4U to get one single Gypceros head? I just got 3 heads from a single one just now in Generations :psyduck:

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Thoom posted:

I really like all the new tricks SnS got in MHG, but looking at the weapon oils, 100 wycademy points a pop seems expensive for something you're meant to apply several of each hunt. I feel like that'd be a significant reduction in income. Are the points plentiful enough (and other things to spend them on scarce enough) that I just shouldn't worry about it?

You can also buy them for regular money at the store. But yeah, points are way more plentiful in MHG than in any previous game.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Ojetor posted:

Guild, actually. Adept dodge is quite nice and all but I can't stand losing the LV2 charge uppercut. Plus I really like having two arts, all three Hammer arts are really good.

You still get the lvl 2 charge uppercut, but it is locked in an adept dodge charge. It does more stun than a regular and goes a little higher.

That said the timing on it is very tight.

Thoom posted:

Oils are dirt cheap in zenny. Points ain't even a thing to grind out, unlike 4U.

Flowers
Mar 16, 2007

it's all fucking lewds

Ojetor posted:

You can also buy them for regular money at the store. But yeah, points are way more plentiful in MHG than in any previous game.

Do the other oils become available for zenny at some point? Right now, I can buy affinity, stamina, and destroyer for points, but only affinity and stamina for zenny.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Your Computer posted:

You know how I farmed for hours and hours in MH4U to get one single Gypceros head? I just got 3 heads from a single one just now in Generations :psyduck:

Sounds like the desire sensor is trying to express some feelings to you. You should maybe ask it out.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Ojetor posted:

Yeah, I'm just a bit cautious about zenny right now because I remember an early MHX Gaijin Hunter video complaining that zenny was in super short supply at endgame.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Thoom posted:

Yeah, I'm just a bit cautious about zenny right now because I remember an early MHX Gaijin Hunter video complaining that zenny was in super short supply at endgame.

I feel like that's normal, though. I was broke as hell in MH4U's endgame. It's because your gear goes up in price like astronomically. I think the spare change I throw at the shop lady so I don't have to farm whetstones isn't gonna impact how broke or not broke I am.

On the other hand, yeah, you can buy oils from Neko (Means "Cat") with Wycademy Points, which come in at a handy rate; I think they've been re-balanced since there's no Expeditions or anything.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

which style does db prefer

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

voltcatfish posted:

Aerial is like a discount IG, adept has an active attack on dodge. Most people use adept or guild IIRC.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

Sounds like the desire sensor is trying to express some feelings to you. You should maybe ask it out.

that lucky gently caress, desire sensor wont notice me~

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Aerial DB is a flying laser-guided buzzsaw and is therefore superior

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Why did they bring back the marshlands? It's such a boring lifeless area and just lovely all around.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ciaphas posted:

Adept seems to be the Gajin rage but every time I do aerial I come out better. The double pound is just loving nuts and the extra mounts is just more hits to the dome. Not having to deal with that lovely spinning strike on the charge is also lovely but you do lose the mega pound rip

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Yeah the way I play these games is using maining a weapon a game. It was Long Sword in MHFU, Hammer in Tri, Switch Axe in Portable 3rd, and Insect Glaive in 4u.

I'm not a huge fan of the lance or gunlance, the charge blade's too confusing, and I never got the hang of the greatsword. Basically narrows down my options to sns, db, and maybe the hunting horn?

Maybe it's time to use the horn.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
The charge blade is like the farthest thing from "confusing" you can get. Charge phials, store phials, put phials in shield.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Is Goldenfishing still a good way to get cash, or is there something else I should be trying?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
If anything I feel CB is too simple now for not enough pay off.

Lynza posted:

Is Goldenfishing still a good way to get cash, or is there something else I should be trying?

Just sell monster parts stop hoarding your LR poo poo!

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

voltcatfish posted:

Yeah the way I play these games is using maining a weapon a game. It was Long Sword in MHFU, Hammer in Tri, Switch Axe in Portable 3rd, and Insect Glaive in 4u.

I'm not a huge fan of the lance or gunlance, the charge blade's too confusing, and I never got the hang of the greatsword. Basically narrows down my options to sns, db, and maybe the hunting horn?

Don't forget ranged :v:
Bow and HBG both feel really good now, especially Adept Bow and Aerial HBG, in my opinion. Adept HBG is pretty good, too. You get your choice between an instant super-reload, optionally into siege mode, or a run like hell at super-speed when you land. Adept HBG can also roll out of siege mode, which counts for Adept Evade. It's real good.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

My only problem with HBG and Bow is the insane upkeep in coatings and shots

I imagine at endgame zenny and points aren't a problem but right now 1000z+ outlay on power coatings per hunt (and that's not even enough coatings to get through the hunt) is a bit of an ask

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 18, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Rascyc posted:

Adept seems to be the Gajin rage but every time I do aerial I come out better. The double pound is just loving nuts and the extra mounts is just more hits to the dome. Not having to deal with that lovely spinning strike on the charge is also lovely but you do lose the mega pound rip

Honestly I used the mega pound very little in MH4U, the L2 charge in uppercut is a great move and using it means I don't have to change my fighting style between solo and multiplayer (where the mega pound is verboten in cramped quarters)

I think I'll try aerial first when I get a break from work, see how I like it

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

play db and be a helicopter

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

voltcatfish posted:

Aerial style has made DB something I actually enjoy playing instead of something I try and give up on almost immediately.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Long sword is still stylish as hell. I'm glad they brought back the "sheathing my Hanzo steel" animation when you finish your spirit combo

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

The charge blade is like the farthest thing from "confusing" you can get. Charge phials, store phials, put phials in shield.

why use a shield?
when should I be using my phials?

how is that 'the farthest thing from confusing' when weapons like hammer are "hold r, press x three times"

Ciaphas posted:

My only problem with HBG and Bow is the insane upkeep in coatings and shots

I imagine at endgame zenny and points aren't a problem but right now 1000z+ outlay on power coatings per hunt (and that's not even enough coatings to get through the hunt) is a bit of an ask

it's not that bad, I'm HR1 guild, village 5, almost all HBG with some hammer, sitting on 40k zenny. Haven't sold any monster parts.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Rascyc posted:

Just sell monster parts stop hoarding your LR poo poo!

I've got like 400+ empty phials I keep taking at the start of quests that I'm never going to use... I've got a hoarding problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I'm regretting my OCD like tendencies to finish every two star village quest. So much gathering and killing small monsters. And hunting nothing but Dromes...At least I have a box full of supplies now.

Now that I got that out of the way, on to three star! So now I can actually upgrade some of these level two weapons. Then I'll jump online.

Digging the game so far though. Trying to change up weapons and styles for every hunt. Think adept hammer is my fave so far. Adept Bow is great too.

• Locked thread