Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I actually kinda like Terra Therma but I know that if I ever want to play on a hot map for a change I need to intentionally lose votes like 7 or 8 times, pubbies hate them

e: how the gently caress did Google's android keyboard know to suggest "Therma" after Terra?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dueling Bandsaws
Mar 3, 2016

Domination Polar Highlands is probably the most tolerable option in that list IMO

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Only problem I see is that you don't have more multi to vote terra domination.

Never not vote terrra domination if it's available. Pubbies lose their minds.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I wish we had more hot maps. Pubbies can not manage heat for poo poo. Even if I'm in my LL stalker I still don't overheat as much as Joe Q. Pubbie in his heat neutral ballistics build.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The Hunchback-4G has convinced me that missiles and lasers are for nerds and guns rule. Gonna buy a cataphract.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Don't buy a cataphract. If you want heavy mech ballistic fun go with marauders or war hammers.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

Don't buy a cataphract. If you want heavy mech ballistic fun go with marauders or war hammers.

What he said. Seriously.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
As someone that has all 3, the Warham does it best.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

Jagers are worth a mention, marauders getting slightly nerfed, as are warhammers.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Cataphracts tend to require XL's in order to mount maximum dakka. They are really bad XL mechs. I own a Muromets. It is an upscaled medium for the amount of punishment it can take. And it is as wide as a barn.

Go Marauder/Warhams. My Ac10 Warham 6R (I forget the variant but it is the AC10 quirked one) is 5x better than my Muromets.

Edit: The Warhammer's nerfs are all in it's maneuverability. It will still be excellent, though you'll have to work to shield a bit more. The Marauder's are getting the same treatment, except for the 3r where they really want you to use PPC's on it rather than AC's.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 18, 2016

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Warhammer it is then! After piloting a vindicator for like 2 weeks I cannot handle driving a bad mech anymore.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Buschmaki posted:

The Hunchback-4G has convinced me that missiles and lasers are for nerds and guns rule. Gonna buy a cataphract.

CTF-0XP is my best mech - standard 300, endo steel, 4 medium lasers, AC/20, ECM, it's good

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

BattleMaster posted:

CTF-0XP is my best mech - standard 300, endo steel, 4 medium lasers, AC/20, ECM, it's good

I like the Muromets, this build is really fun: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=54&l=45fc57eba4ffa788d0956f41758e88b87dbc86b8

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Cataphracts are garbage, but there is one good build I've found, had a couple 1k games with this CTF-0XP. Everyone tries to stuff XLs inside their Cataphracts. Nonono, play to the only strength the mech has and use a standard engine. Great, now the entire left side of the mech is a shield, and a drat good one. The alpha of 42 isn't crazy but it's not hard to put it all in one place with the low LPL duration, and it's pretty heat efficient. If you're running hot, just fire the LPLs every other volley and stick to the AC20. Use your ECM to play smart and don't get your armor chipped away while everyone is playing peekaboo at 600m, and then mop everything up once the brawl begins.

I don't mind, and most people I talk to don't mind that Terra Therma is hot. We mind that the gameplay is "Everyone run to the center" and that's it. The good news is that I can almost always get my team to move their asses into gear and get there first by reminding them that if they don't pussyfoot around outside then we either take the center and win really quickly or we push in and lose really quickly and can then play other maps. That actually gets people to just rush headlong and take mid, which means winning most of the time.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Mal-90X is nice for cannons too, dont mind the fact its an assaults and no heavy.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Every time I see a Phoenix Hawk I wonder "why does that medium has so few guns?"

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Well I finished Eliting my 3 Atlases but I'm probably not going to Master even one just yet. That was the most miserable series of MWO experiences yet. Maybe Assault mechs can be fun but it takes the stars aligning or playing in a group, maybe. Ugh.

And sometimes I don't have the time or inclination to group up.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
How do I join the Mumble? Seeing an LRM Atlas still alive at round end with 71 damage is the final straw, playing with random people is just the worst.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Can anybody share their experience with the MAL-90X please?
Especially if it needs double basics, i really only want that one variant.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Can anybody share their experience with the MAL-90X please?
Especially if it needs double basics, i really only want that one variant.

You really want those double basics. Pretty much every assault wants the double basics. The MAL-90X feels pretty much the same as the other Maulers. You are a big slow fire support mech. Basically a Stalker with more torso twist. I don't recommend brawling in it as the center torso is pretty large and you turn like an Atlas. But goddamn, if someone doesn't aim at you, you are going to unleash hell at them from fairly long distances.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Buschmaki posted:

How do I join the Mumble? Seeing an LRM Atlas still alive at round end with 71 damage is the final straw, playing with random people is just the worst.

Post your ign, look for an invite to WoL or GIRL. OR, get pm's so we can just message you the deets. We do not anger the Saq.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

aniviron posted:

I don't mind, and most people I talk to don't mind that Terra Therma is hot. We mind that the gameplay is "Everyone run to the center" and that's it. The good news is that I can almost always get my team to move their asses into gear and get there first by reminding them that if they don't pussyfoot around outside then we either take the center and win really quickly or we push in and lose really quickly and can then play other maps. That actually gets people to just rush headlong and take mid, which means winning most of the time.

There's actually two strategies for Terra Therma, three if it's conquest. The first one you mentioned. The second one is 'not going middle and setting up a firing line because the funnel goes both ways.'
And of course the conquest specific third is 'forget the middle, lights and mediums nascar the other four points and drag back poor unwitting shmucks to the heavies/assaults wherever they are.'

Of course, the only reason the not go middle ones work so well is because everyone goes middle and the other strategies are built to abuse that.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

What are some good mechs with high slung hardpoints? Being able to fire most of my weapons while keeping most of my profile behind cover on river city got me 940 damage on my 4 ER LL K2 and I really enjoy being able to poke like that.

Something good with high hardpoints and jump jets would be the dream obviously.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
I slapped a LRM 10 and Gauss Rifle on the Cent-AH. I feel shame for it. Not enough to stop playing it, but some.

Derakarsis
Aug 7, 2007
Hope you've had your shots
Alright I'm trying this poo poo again because I love Battletech/Mechwarrior and team gameplay. I know that none of that is in this game, and as such, I have lost the will to pub drop any more over the last 10 days. Someone please PM me the mumble information before I have a stroke.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Artificer posted:

What are some good mechs with high slung hardpoints? Being able to fire most of my weapons while keeping most of my profile behind cover on river city got me 940 damage on my 4 ER LL K2 and I really enjoy being able to poke like that.

Something good with high hardpoints and jump jets would be the dream obviously.

You're looking for Stalkers, Jagermechs, Blackjacks, and Riflemans, and Ravens, depending on how heavy you like your mechs to be. ;)

Stalkers will be 6 LL/4 LPL/4 ER LL
Jagers will be 2 Gauss/3 UAC5
Riflemans will be 4 LL
Blackjacks will be 2 AC2/2 PPC/8 ML
Ravens will be 2 ER LL/2 LPL

The Raven and Blackjack are the only two among this bunch that have options for JJs; the best Raven for this at the moment gets built like this, though you can do the 3L with ECM and ER LLs instead of JJs and quirks, assuming you hate dealing damage/really love ECM. Two of the Blackjacks have JJs but I don't have any builds for you, I am sure you can figure it out though.

edit: oh, and Ebon Jaguars if you want a clan robot. The current trial EBJ is very good right now, 2LPL + gauss.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

aniviron posted:

You're looking for Stalkers, Jagermechs, Blackjacks, and Riflemans, and Ravens, depending on how heavy you like your mechs to be. ;)

Stalkers will be 6 LL/4 LPL/4 ER LL
Jagers will be 2 Gauss/3 UAC5
Riflemans will be 4 LL
Blackjacks will be 2 AC2/2 PPC/8 ML
Ravens will be 2 ER LL/2 LPL

The Raven and Blackjack are the only two among this bunch that have options for JJs; the best Raven for this at the moment gets built like this, though you can do the 3L with ECM and ER LLs instead of JJs and quirks, assuming you hate dealing damage/really love ECM. Two of the Blackjacks have JJs but I don't have any builds for you, I am sure you can figure it out though.

edit: oh, and Ebon Jaguars if you want a clan robot. The current trial EBJ is very good right now, 2LPL + gauss.

Thanks friend. I heard that Jagers obsolete Riflemen? Is this true?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

aniviron posted:

Also Hunchback IICs, Grasshoppers, Battlemasters, Ebon Jaguars, Shadow Hawks (even though I'm not a fan), and some Timber Wolfs and Thunderbolts.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 19, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

If you're throwing lights and mediums in there, you might as well toss in Shadowcats, even though it's less that it has high mounts and more that it's a pancake. Profile-wise.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I was trying to go exclusively for mechs that had all the relevant mounts at or above cockpit height; those are all good mechs, but not really super snipers, or I'd have gone with those and a few others as well. But something like the Stalker or Jager is going to have everything way up high, whereas Shadowhawks and a lot of the others have a fair number of hardpoints in the arms or otherwise low enough that if you like hitting with all your guns you still have to peek out a fair bit. Same reason I didn't include the Hunchback and Hellbringer.

Shadowcat is sorta at cockpit height ish, but it's so wide the convergence is rear end anyway, but I guess it should probably be On The List since that doesn't really matter if you do double LPL. I just don't really rate it highly as a mech so I forgot it, which is my bad.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Can someone also link a build to the A-1 and C-4 Splatpults?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Attention goonwarriors.
mumble info is mumble.goonrathi.com password is mellon.

just give it out when people ask, man. Its forbidden from the op, but not for goons.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

how crucial is the PPC to your gameplay? seems kind of an afterthought.

If you drop it, you can slot in a standard 260/250 and more ammo.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

aniviron posted:

I was trying to go exclusively for mechs that had all the relevant mounts at or above cockpit height; those are all good mechs, but not really super snipers, or I'd have gone with those and a few others as well.

Hunch IICs run a bunch of lasers or UACs at eyeline. They're shaped like Hunchbacks, but in practice they play like Jagermechs with Clan weapons. Plus, they have JJs, although builds can be tight.

Ebon Jaguars also play almost exactly like Jagermechs. All of your main weapons will always be in those high torso mounts, and if you're not taking advantage of those you're probably better off with a different mech.

Grasshoppers are tall, have JJs, and tend to run 3LL/LPL in eye-height mounts, although the others are a bit lower. On the other hand, they can do basically anything, as long as you don't mind using LLs/LPLs/MLs to do it.

Battlemasters have a shitload of lasers in high mounts. They're Stalkers with shield arms instead of shield torsos. No JJs though.

Shadow Hawks jam a bunch of ACs into a high torso mount, and have JJs. The 2D2 can also brawl I guess? I dunno, I don't like shawks.

Timber Wolfs and Thunderbolts and a few other mechs have specific builds that jam a bunch of weapons into a single high firing point. The nice thing about the twolf is that you can use that build for all of the variants.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Artificer posted:

Can someone also link a build to the A-1 and C-4 Splatpults?

CPLT-A1 the A1 build was something close to this *I believe*

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

armchairyoda posted:

Post your ign, look for an invite to WoL or GIRL. OR, get pm's so we can just message you the deets. We do not anger the Saq.

In-game name is Buschmaki, please rescue me from LRM ice ferrets.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

rex rabidorum vires posted:

CPLT-A1 the A1 build was something close to this *I believe*

Ah gently caress XL 310. I'm broke as hell. Just bought radar deprivation. Thanks.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Artificer posted:

Ah gently caress XL 310. I'm broke as hell. Just bought radar deprivation. Thanks.

If you've got a 300XL, try this. Splatcats are hot as balls anyway. (e: fix the armor on that, that's got too much back armor and shouldn't strip the arms before the legs)

In general, if you've got an XL that's pretty close, you can usually tweak armor, heat sinks, ammo, or JJs to make the XL you own fit. Especially when it's something like a splatcat that isn't worth buying a special snowflake XL for anyway.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 19, 2016

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

If you've got a 300XL, try this. Splatcats are hot as balls anyway. (e: fix the armor on that, that's got too much back armor and shouldn't strip the arms before the legs)

In general, if you've got an XL that's pretty close, you can usually tweak armor, heat sinks, ammo, or JJs to make the XL you own fit. Especially when it's something like a splatcat that isn't worth buying a special snowflake XL for anyway.

I have a XL 265...?

It'll be slow but I can sort of pop-tart I guess. And trail behind assaults?

Edit: If you had to pick an Atlas to Master, which would it be? The Loyalty S? The Founder's D? Or the D-DC Ghost Dad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Artificer posted:

I have a XL 265...?

It'll be slow but I can sort of pop-tart I guess. And trail behind assaults?

Edit: If you had to pick an Atlas to Master, which would it be? The Loyalty S? The Founder's D? Or the D-DC Ghost Dad?

265 isn't gonna cut it, heh.

The S and DDC are both good. The S is tougher (because of its better agility quirks, to spread damage) and hits harder, the DDC slots into position better and supports its teammates. The D is just kind of there.

• Locked thread