Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

I've got my sights set on a 1070, but the prices and availability are still pretty iffy. I can put up with my 560Ti for just a little while longer if those are likely to improve in the next couple of months. That $399.99 Gigabyte on Newegg oughta come back in stock eventually, right? :shepspends:

Its come in and out of stock often enough that nobody posts about stock anymore, so yeah. I'd just set up the stock alerts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It's an _optional_ part of the VESA DisplayPort standard.

R..right. And they took the "nah" option, but we're saying they should go "yah" instead.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

I've got my sights set on a 1070, but the prices and availability are still pretty iffy. I can put up with my 560Ti for just a little while longer if those are likely to improve in the next couple of months. That $399.99 Gigabyte on Newegg oughta come back in stock eventually, right? :shepspends:

I'm one of the last people to frivolously spend money if I don't "have" to and you should always be cognizant of pricing for what are essentially luxury electronics, but what's another $30 or so to get the video card you want right now? If you could save $30 to wait a day, sure, but the clock is ticking on the usefulness of these things so it's better to just buy in early and get as much use as possible before it gets outpaced.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Deuce posted:

R..right. And they took the "nah" option, but we're saying they should go "yah" instead.

It's an optional part of the standard, and Nvidia has opted to be dicks. No surprise.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Gonkish posted:

It's an optional part of the standard, and Nvidia has opted to be dicks. No surprise.

Technically, isn't G-Sync "better" even if it is proprietary and all? From what I have read in here, it seems G-Sync covers a much broader range then Freesync on a lot of screens that say they are "Freesync" but only within "this-n-that"Hz...

I just wish it was more adopted when it was announced, that more screen makers would just make Freesync monitors with the optional Expansion Slot to turn it into a G-Sync panel.

How convenient would that be, to have a single monitor that supports freesync, but if you want G-Sync instead, you just have to have the extra $150-200 module to plug in that you can take out and put in a different screen if you upgrade to a bigger/faster one down the line? What the hell happened to that dream?

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 18, 2016

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

EdEddnEddy posted:

Technically, isn't G-Sync "better" even if it is proprietary and all? From what I have read in here, it seems G-Sync covers a much broader range then Freesync on a lot of screens that say they are "Freesync" but only within "this-n-that"Hz...

There is no reason at all that NVidia can't support both. If they just added in FreeSync support, there would be literally no reason to buy AMD this generation, and they don't make a ton of margin on the G-Sync modules, so I guess NVidia's hubris is holding them back.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

EdEddnEddy posted:

Yes. Some FreeSync screens have good ranges, others it is pretty perfunctory (eg 45-60 Hz sync range).

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Technically, isn't G-Sync "better" even if it is proprietary and all?

The problem is that FreeSync and G-Sync aren't actually the same thing.

G-Sync comes from a proprietary, expensive NVIDIA module, but that module covers everything from variable refresh, to ULMB, to refresh-rate driven RTC/overdrive steering, frame doubling at low Hz, making sure the G-Sync range is wide enough...

FreeSync just deals with the variable refresh. The monitor manufacturer can then choose how they implements everything else. Most just don't. If you would have FreeSync monitors with similar features as G-Sync ones, the odds are the price difference would be smaller.

There's nothing stopping NVIDIA from supporting VESA Adaptive Sync. But as long as the market isn't utterly dominated by FreeSync monitors, they can rest assured that once they sell someone a G-Sync monitor, that person is going to pay NVIDIA tax for the foreseeable future.

For much of the same reasons, NVIDIA is stuck on OpenCL 1.2 and doesn't have a working profiler for it (any more).

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
As has been said in the thread before: Come Ice Lake or so, Nvidia won't have much of a choice NOT to support the VESA-standard variable refresh, even if it's just sideband to their own implementation because Chipizilla will have come to town. Starting from laptops, then desktops following suit.

As for screens, if the latest Linus video is any indication, Freesync ranges should be expanding with the next generation of scalars. Not holding my breath on that, though.

What I'm trying to say is that even if AMD bites the dust for good between now and 2018, G-sync will not continue on to become a mainstream product.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 19, 2016

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Truga posted:

Yeah, I always wanted a Jewish GPU

Does this mean I can't game with it from sunset on Friday to sunset on Saturday?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I don't know how much effort went into tit's design, but my MG279Q supports 30-90Hz range, which is pretty drat good, an increase to 30-120Hz for Freesync should basically make it a no brainer as IIRC, Intel and AMD could handle everything else the Gsync FPGA does with drivers.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

unpronounceable posted:

Does this mean I can't game with it from sunset on Friday to sunset on Saturday?

Its still a star of david but i thought the twin circles invokes the seal of solomon used to control demons.
It fits better with their stupid marketing, but everyone is gonna see jew star.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

This isn't quite the thread for it, but in line with the topic on this page, is *sync really that great? I don't want to pay the premium for a gsyn (can't find anything with it for under $300), but I want the gtx 1060. Am I dumb for not just getting a freesync monitor and the rx 480 instead?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

FaustianQ posted:

an increase to 30-120Hz for Freesync should basically make it a no brainer as IIRC, Intel and AMD could handle everything else the Gsync FPGA does with drivers.

They couldn't duplicate ULMB with drivers, although admittedly that's a niche feature that most people wouldn't miss.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Enigma posted:

This isn't quite the thread for it, but in line with the topic on this page, is *sync really that great? I don't want to pay the premium for a gsyn (can't find anything with it for under $300), but I want the gtx 1060. Am I dumb for not just getting a freesync monitor and the rx 480 instead?
I asked the same thing before i actually tried it.
if you play games where fps matters like shooters, sync really is worth it. Having a 120hz gsync monitor is a massive advantage over other players.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Fauxtool posted:

if you play games where fps matters like shooters, sync really is worth it. Having a 120hz gsync monitor is a massive advantage over other players.

I wish I still played multiplayer fps games, but family/career and such. Mostly single player stuff these days that I can pause. I'm getting a 144Hz monitor, so I'm hoping that is good enough.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

repiv posted:

They couldn't duplicate ULMB with drivers, although admittedly that's a niche feature that most people wouldn't miss.

ULMB = LFC, isn't it?

They do LFC with drivers, it just requires that the monitor have a range where the upper bound is 2.5x the lower bound. XR341CK, for example. (30 - 75Hz)

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
1060 tomorrow baby!!

Just realized today it's exactly half a 1080 in chip and price! Even the founders/non founders prices match.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

ULMB = LFC, isn't it?

They do LFC with drivers, it just requires that the monitor have a range where the upper bound is 2.5x the lower bound. XR341CK, for example. (30 - 75Hz)

ULMB is backlight strobing. The only FreeSync monitors that support it are the BenQ TN ones that include it independently of FreeSync.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

repiv posted:

A few reasons you can't do SMP implicitly off the top of my head:

1. The driver has no reliable way to know which render targets need multi-projecting (you don't want to multi-project things like shadowmaps)
2. Raytracing/raymarching effects like SSR, POM & HBAO would break since they skip the VS transform and handle the projection manually
3. The frustum the engine expects and what actually gets rendered would be different, causing too much stuff to get frustum culled

Maybe you could pull it off with enough game-specific hacks but it's just not worth the effort.

That makes a lot more sense. I figured "using the shader engine to do raytracing" would break, but these make it nearly impossible to do right.

Hopefully AMD comes up with something close enough that you can support both in the same engine (just change a few bits in the hardware layer depending on card targetted)

Then I remember that it's 2016 and GPU-accelerated physics are still relegated to batman's cape flapping majestically due to vendors being poo poo about standards so I don't have high hopes for this, either.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Bleh Maestro posted:

1060 tomorrow baby!!

Just realized today it's exactly half a 1080 in chip and price! Even the founders/non founders prices match.

I'm completely torn between the RX 480 and the 1060. I've had a LOT of issues with Nvidia drivers lately, so I'm leaning towards AMD, but I would love to stick with Nvidia for the G-sync monitor I bought (like an idiot).

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Gunder posted:

I'm completely torn between the RX 480 and the 1060. I've had a LOT of issues with Nvidia drivers lately, so I'm leaning towards AMD, but I would love to stick with Nvidia for the G-sync monitor I bought (like an idiot).

I'm in a similar position.

480: the monitor I am likely to get has Freesync

1060: leaked benchmarks mean possibly better performance at similar price point; may be in stock before the heat death of the universe

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Gunder posted:

I mean if you have Gsync, I'm pretty sure that means just drop the dosh on the 1060 and forget about it. I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum: I could go for either, but I have a Freesync monitor and AMD seems to hate money.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yeah, the 1060 does make more sense, but the endless crashing and system performance problems I've had with my current card have made me wary of sticking with Nvidia. Before anyone asks, I went through an extensive troubleshooting process, including RMAing multiple system parts (including the graphics card itself) and it always came back to Nvidias lovely drivers. If it wasn't for my GSync monitor, I'd already own a 480.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Gunder posted:

IMO snag the 1060 if the price is reasonable since you have the gsync monitor already. I'm sure they will be close enough in per/$.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
My current monitor has no freesync or gsync. And it's likely neither will my next one.

I'm leaning heavily towards a 1060 over 480. Beyond the sync stuff is there anything to recommend the 480 over the 1060?

For the record I've got an i5-6600k with a 1080p monitor.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

mango sentinel posted:

My current monitor has no freesync or gsync. And it's likely neither will my next one.

I'm leaning heavily towards a 1060 over 480. Beyond the sync stuff is there anything to recommend the 480 over the 1060?

For the record I've got an i5-6600k with a 1080p monitor.

I'm getting the impression that, as long as you're content to stay at 1080p, the cheapest graphics card will do.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Gunder posted:

I'm getting the impression that, as long as you're content to stay at 1080p, the cheapest graphics card will do.

Depending on what the 470 costs, it might be the real best buy at 1080p.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I'm pretty close to dropping $400 on a 1070, but am still on a Dell 2408WFP from like 9 years ago. Should I be looking at a monitor purchase as well? 1200p gaming is cool with me, I guess, but all the sync talk has got me thinking I should look around. My monitor has... VSync? Is that a thing? At least it's got DP!

And I already sold my HD6870 :ohdear:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
At worst the RX470 will sit between an R9 380X and a RX480, at best it'll be some 10% difference you can make up in overclocking, some are suggesting reference 290 performance vs the RX480s custom 390/390X performance. Really want more info on the RX490, but it maybe that only the RX480 is the real dud due to price, as the RX470 should equal or trounce the rumored 3GB 1060 (and both are supposed to be at a similar price point). AMDs claim on the RX460s performance also sounds really good, bus powered 380-380X would be amazing. I mean, I'm sure Nvidia will have a 640CC counterpart, just it's likely super low priority for Nvidia, and the RX460 is a fantastic replacement for virtually all sub 970/390 cards in the mean
time.

Except no availability right now for either so were back at SOP for AMD; great ideas, poor marketing, sloppy/slow execution. I really want the rumored 32C/64T 180W TDP 2.9Ghz Naples to be real, getting 5-10% of the server market means all the debt payment and R&D money and marketing money to Make AMD Great Again.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

CloFan posted:

I'm pretty close to dropping $400 on a 1070, but am still on a Dell 2408WFP from like 9 years ago. Should I be looking at a monitor purchase as well? 1200p gaming is cool with me, I guess, but all the sync talk has got me thinking I should look around. My monitor has... VSync? Is that a thing? At least it's got DP!

Fight the good fight and keep it, 16:10 buddy. There's a reason humanity has treasured the golden ratio for thousands of years.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Seamonster posted:

Fight the good fight and keep it, 16:10 buddy. There's a reason humanity has treasured the golden ratio for thousands of years.

1600 pixels tall is overkill and if you aren't at 1440 why aren't you?

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

CloFan posted:

I've a 32" 1440p monitor, and I want to marry it. The quality of screens really has improved so much in the past few years, you won't be disappointed upgrading.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

xthetenth posted:

1600 pixels tall is overkill

aha no

E: browser tabs and taskbar eat into the 1600, even more so if I've snapped 2x2 windows. Yes this is the GPU thread so :pcgaming: and whatever but I use my computer for other stuff too.

Seamonster fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 19, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Seamonster posted:

aha no

E: browser tabs and taskbar eat into the 1600, even more so if I've snapped 2x2 windows. Yes this is the GPU thread so :pcgaming: and whatever but I use my computer for other stuff too.

1280 or so is my real breakpoint where I stop seeing much benefit from more height. I don't see the massive gains from going ultrawide as I would from getting a bit more height.

Also if you've got 2560 width, tabs should be taking width not height.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
2560x1600 owns

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Don't expect it to be easy to actually get a $249 GTX 1060. Not for a while anyway.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Reminder that, again, FE 1060 is $300. Don't expect to get a $249 GTX 1060 at all IMO.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
XFX 480 by way of TechReport.

It's a pretty good looking card, and nothing like that monster that threatens to delaminate your motherboard from Zotac. Which is nice. I'm still waiting on those super-short boards with exposed fins for blowing air through, though.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Bleh Maestro posted:

Don't expect it to be easy to actually get a $249 GTX 1060. Not for a while anyway.

If I can get a custom GTX1060 for no more than $280 at launch I'm fine with that because that's how much I spent on my 660Ti.

Edit: When does the 1060 go on sale in the morning here in the US?

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 19, 2016