Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Y-Hat posted:

here's a controversial idea: hire an American actress to play an American comic book villain, instead of importing one from Australia

Yeah, that dead gay cowboy should have died earlier to save us all from an Australian joker. Heh, what a joke.

Maybe American should try being better actors, lol. Same with low-paid workers, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

quoting for the new page:

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Retelling the same stories over and over but changing it slightly to fit the times and catch the interest of the audience is pretty much the oldest form of storytelling and not a modern Hollywood invention.

It is actually good that we're doing it with movies now instead of just letting them age and become less and less relevant because "It's a CLASSIC, just watch the original version!" Some new versions will be bad, and people who already liked the old version will always resent the new one, but it's still good that this is happening. And no, it's not proof that culture and society is dying. It's not the new generation's fault that they're more interested in things made for them than in things made for their parents and grandparents.
So where are the classic can't-miss movies over the last few years that will be remade decades down the road? The last group of Best Picture nominees that wasn't filled with the sort of treacle that Academy voters trip over their own feet to support was 2007, or whatever year No Country For Old Men won Best Picture. The last few years in particular were egregiously skewed towards movies where Hollywood itself is front and center (Argo, Birdman, that silent movie with John Goodman and the dog that's apparently so forgettable that I don't remember what it's called). And there are precious few cult classics either- the only one i can think of off the top of my head is John Wick.

It's hard to get angry about remakes and Hollywood's output in general over the last decade or so, because so much of it is middling, mediocre crap. When you're almost certain to make a lot of money off of a movie, there isn't much of a motive to make it good and memorable.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 19, 2016

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Retelling the same stories over and over but changing it slightly to fit the times and catch the interest of the audience is pretty much the oldest form of storytelling and not a modern Hollywood invention.

It is actually good that we're doing it with movies now instead of just letting them age and become less and less relevant because "It's a CLASSIC, just watch the original version!" Some new versions will be bad, and people who already liked the old version will always resent the new one, but it's still good that this is happening. And no, it's not proof that culture and society is dying. It's not the new generation's fault that they're more interested in things made for them than in things made for their parents and grandparents.

Doesn't seem to be working though, does it? The great filmmakers have their own stories they want to tell, so we end up with remakes from the mediocre. We get poo poo like this, The Thing, Total Recall, etc that not only fail to add anything worthwhile but miss what made the original loved in the first place.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Maybe each time period could create new works that reflect that time period instead of transplanting movies that are very much products of their time into a new time period and loving it up.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUEKreyTkvA

they hated it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Germstore posted:

Maybe each time period could create new works that reflect that time period instead of transplanting movies that are very much products of their time into a new time period and loving it up.
this is why i'm glad that the proposed Slap Shot remakes have never gotten off the ground. one of the reasons for why it's my favorite movie ever is because it's one of the best time capsules of the late 1970s rust belt

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

Doesn't seem to be working though, does it? The great filmmakers have their own stories they want to tell, so we end up with remakes from the mediocre. We get poo poo like this, The Thing, Total Recall, etc that not only fail to add anything worthwhile but miss what made the original loved in the first place.
not to mention the great filmmakers are mostly old and i can't think of any young up-and-coming directors that are vying to take their place. all we've got are directors who pigeonhole themselves into certain movies like Paul Feig and Michael Bay, or directors who are profoundly unspectacular as the guy who calls himself McG

also i completely forgot that The Thing was remade. was it PG-13 like the Total Recall reboot? gotta love watering down a movie's content so it can make the most money possible, meaning that an R rating is as enviable as an NC-17

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Ghostbusters getting banned in China had me wondering:

Why do most studios care about the Chinese market? Is just the fact more people seeing your movie equals more money, even though they only allow a handful of non-Chinese films in their theaters every year?

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Y-Hat posted:

not to mention the great filmmakers are mostly old and i can't think of any young up-and-coming directors that are vying to take their place. all we've got are directors who pigeonhole themselves into certain movies like Paul Feig and Michael Bay, or directors who are profoundly unspectacular as the guy who calls himself McG

also i completely forgot that The Thing was remade. was it PG-13 like the Total Recall reboot? gotta love watering down a movie's content so it can make the most money possible, meaning that an R rating is as enviable as an NC-17

we're probably gonna see a shitload more r-rated flicks coming down the road because deadpool made a fuckload of money and retarded studio execs thinking the rating was the reason

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Y-Hat posted:

the thing remake/prequel was actualy alright. and it was hard R.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Why do most studios care about the Chinese market? Is just the fact more people seeing your movie equals more money, even though they only allow a handful of non-Chinese films in their theaters every year?

americans aren't seeing movies anymore while china is spending more on them every year so you gotta be stupid not to try to put your foot in their growing market

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

There are a couple dozen non-Chinese films shown per year in China. There's also a couple dozen Hollywood movies with budgets over 100 million per year. Not a coincidence.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Now this is just cruelty to the elderly

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Grimace posted:

If the movie didn't have the "Ghostbusters" moniker, there wouldn't be anywhere near as much drama from the PR fallout as there was, but it also would not appeal to a larger audience consisting of existing Ghostbuster fans either. It's an interesting prospect, but I don't think it's easy to gauge how well the movie would have done otherwise.

Also if the movie didn't have the "Ghostbusters" moniker it wouldn't have been greenlit with a $170 million production budget (which later got cut back), or given a $100m+ promotional budget, or opened nationally on approx 4000 screens. Sony really threw a lot behind it. It's Sony's most expensive film for 2016 and even after all this it'll probably end up being their biggest grossing film for the year - their biggest box office draw for 2016 so far has been Angry Birds which brought in $106m in the US and GB2016 should pass that, but even then there's a good chance that Angry Birds will have a bigger worldwide gross.

So yeah, it's hasn't been a great year for Sony and it's no wonder they're trying to put a positive spin on GB2016 and telling everyone they're happy with how it turned out. "N-no, it's great, we love it. We truly truly love it. We didn't get hosed in the rear end at all, just ignore all that blood streaming from our anus. That's liquid joy! We're making GBS threads liquid joy, that's how happy we are with the recent turn of events! We're just so happy!"

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Can't wait for Sony Pictures to become purely a holding company for the Spider-man rights.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
How much did CineD actually buy that bullshit PR spin from Sony? Are some people there laughing at least?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

somebody else said that Angry Birds made over $300 million worldwide. i highly doubt that the new ghostbusters will make that much

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Y-Hat posted:

somebody else said that Angry Birds made over $300 million worldwide. i highly doubt that the new ghostbusters will make that much

It already opened in 2/3 of the big markets in the foreign market and next week is going to be a tough one for a film already deflating, so no. It's not even going to make 144 million worldwide

client
Aug 19, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

this is why i'm glad that the proposed Slap Shot remakes have never gotten off the ground. one of the reasons for why it's my favorite movie ever is because it's one of the best time capsules of the late 1970s rust belt

another reason slap shot is so good and also won't likely be remade is because it is the total opposite of basically every sports movie: the protagonist is a sleazy conman, theres no uplifting message, nobody learns a valuable lesson about teamwork, and the chiefs only win at the end because the other side inadvertently forfeits.

also the scene where paul newman tells a mother that her child is going to grow up to be a fag probably would not be well-received today

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

NutritiousSnack posted:

It already opened in 2/3 of the big markets in the foreign market and next week is going to be a tough one for a film already deflating, so no. It's not even going to make 144 million worldwide

CineD must be leaking to this thread. The deniers are coming out of the woodwork.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NutritiousSnack posted:

Eh, various industry sites have been going on and on about how Paul Feig's movies have an average multiplier of 4.778 so if his past results are any indicator it'll pass $200m domestically but on the other hand no one can see it having the box office legs that Bridesmaids did, plus it may have shot it's wad in its first weekend with people just turning up out of curiosity. We won't really be able to tell how well it'll do until we see the numbers for next weekend which will tell us whether it can hold onto an audience or whether they're gonna drop it like a hot turd.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
It can't be that hard to have a high multiplier on low budgets and good word of mouth. This doesn't have either.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

It dropped from Friday to Saturday so I don't see it having the longevity of his other films.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

client posted:

another reason slap shot is so good and also won't likely be remade is because it is the total opposite of basically every sports movie: the protagonist is a sleazy conman, theres no uplifting message, nobody learns a valuable lesson about teamwork, and the chiefs only win at the end because the other side inadvertently forfeits.

also the scene where paul newman tells a mother that her child is going to grow up to be a fag probably would not be well-received today

any remake of Slap Shot would never work because in all likelihood it wouldn't have as good of a writer as Nancy Dowd, who had first-hand knowledge of '70s lower-league hockey (her brother pretty much was Ned Braden)

plus you know they'd cast some English pig with no brains at all as Ned/the Hansons/poo poo, even Denis

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Eh, various industry sites have been going on and on about how Paul Feig's movies have an average multiplier of 4.778 so if his past results are any indicator it'll pass $200m domestically

His other films have been released during very weak movie months. (the Hollywoodreporter goes over this). This has to compete with Beyond, a strong animated feature franchise, and a horror film that has some buzz.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

the RLM half in the bag review does raise an interesting point about sony being pathetically determined to have a franchise and their perchant for stuffing movies with overt product placement

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Related:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/07/18/technology/yahoo-q2-earnings-tumblr/index.html

No guys seriously, there is great potential in catering to this base of people!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NutritiousSnack posted:

How much did CineD actually buy that bullshit PR spin from Sony? Are some people there laughing at least?

Yeah the reaction in CineD has been "Sony hosed up"

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Pitch Perfect 2's opening weekend beat Ghost Busters' by $23 million pffaahahaha

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Hey guys, why would people want to sell to a market of billions of customers? Am confused, send help.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Pvt.Scott posted:

Hey guys, why would people want to sell to a market of billions of customers? Am confused, send help.

I had the same thoughts. It's high school economics.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Why do most studios care about the Chinese market?

There's a general trend of less Americans going to see films every year, so expect to see a lot more of this:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 19, 2016

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3szgwthkcIs

Apparently after marketing and splitting the ticket sales with movie theaters Ghostbusters 2016 needs to gross between 300-400 million worldwide to break even. Good luck with that without the Chinese market. lol

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

also the chinese have no taste so hollywood can shovel poo poo onto them and make money

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Why even make films for the US any longer though? They're just wasting a big chunk of what they might make in the US on advertising and distribution and poo poo.

Hollywood should just treat the US like the third income stream after China and India we are and only release the movies they make to the states after the big customers have had their taste.

I'd be down for seeing some actual US indie poo poo in theaters near me. The quirky, intimate, indie theater downtown doesn't count because they only have like 50 seats for a showing.

The current crop of movies these last few years, this year especially, is making me really question my lifelong passion for cinema. Sure, neat little films still get made, but when do I just do myself a favor and cut off the giant tumor that is modern mainstream movies by just not watching anything? It's not worth clawing through poo poo to find gems any longer because they've weaponized the poo poo.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Uncle Wemus posted:

also the chinese have no taste so hollywood can shovel poo poo onto them and make money

Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't China had Hollywood films banned for an incredibly long time and just recently started to let them in? I think part of the reason it's doing so well is that it's new and unique.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Pvt.Scott posted:

Why even make films for the US any longer though? They're just wasting a big chunk of what they might make in the US on advertising and distribution and poo poo.

Hollywood should just treat the US like the third income stream after China and India we are and only release the movies they make to the states after the big customers have had their taste.

I'd be down for seeing some actual US indie poo poo in theaters near me. The quirky, intimate, indie theater downtown doesn't count because they only have like 50 seats for a showing.

The current crop of movies these last few years, this year especially, is making me really question my lifelong passion for cinema. Sure, neat little films still get made, but when do I just do myself a favor and cut off the giant tumor that is modern mainstream movies by just not watching anything? It's not worth clawing through poo poo to find gems any longer because they've weaponized the poo poo.

The US is only allowed to import something like 34 movies in total per year to China and India has it's own movie industry.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
We should import more Naliwood movies imo

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I think that and there's a limit on how many foreign made movies are allowed into Chinese theaters each year. Since American movies are probably going to be higher quality than ones made in China most Chinese movie-goers will really have few good options.

And most Chinese moviegoers aren't very weathy or educated and haven't been watching movies that don't suck rear end since they was 10 like most of us have so yeah, I'd bet their tastes are not quite as developed as ours are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pvt.Scott posted:

They're starting to go that way already, which is why that recent Transformers film suddenly shifted all the action to China for the second half of the film and why a bunch of other recent films have been co-produced by Chinese backers.

G-Mach posted:

The US is only allowed to import something like 34 movies in total per year to China and India has it's own movie industry.

China only allowed 34 foreign films in total every year and they'll occasionally bring in something from non-US countries. Apparently they'll be slightly increasing that number soon.

• Locked thread