Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alnilam

also i have always been pretty fit but I was very resistant to weightlifting for a long time, it was actually one of the byob fitness threads that convinced me to give it a try and helped me realize that as a phd student i had free gym access DUH

anyway I'm chiming in to say that the hardbodies you see in the gym are less intimidating than you think! They are super nice in fact! I was honestly expecting some major jock bro meathead poo poo when i went to the gym but goddamn even the really muscley dudes, if you ask them for a spot or for some advice, they are super friendly. They never were judgemental at all when I asked for a spot to benchpress some tiny amount of weight after I watchwed them benchpress more than I weigh. And not only were they not judgemental but 75% of the time they were even like "yeah yeah good set man! you got it!"

that is my story, i call it "the tale of the friendly hardbodies"

ty manifisto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodbyeTurtles

:suezo:

Every one of the hardbodies started as a sweet soft marshmallow

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
now they are hard stale marshmallows

strangemusic

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I've never been on a run and been passed by a cyclist and not thought 'drat that guy had the right idea'

And then one day, on your bike, a triathlete will pass you in full aero position. My advice is that he does not have the right idea at all, and please do not follow him down the dark path.

Piso Mojado

everyone should buy a steel touring bike and let's go cross country together.

FluffieDuckie

alnilam posted:

what kind of tshirts are there

Oh just different colored shirts for different levels so you can wear it to the gym to show off all the hours you've been in the gym in case your body doesn't reflect that already

It's the equivalent of giving a kindergartener a sticker for attendance but it works on me because I have the emotional needs of a kindergartener when it comes to exercise

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

t-shirts are actually extremely important and useful at the gym since they get destroyed over years of use. I wish I was given free t-shirts - i'm p envious. I keep going through those faster than running shorts (which admittedly I prob should be using heavier shorts for other activities I do)

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

strangemusic posted:

And then one day, on your bike, a triathlete will pass you in full aero position. My advice is that he does not have the right idea at all, and please do not follow him down the dark path.

those teardrop helmets and bike jerseys look really cool though

Matoi Ryuko

Matoi Ryuko

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude
Unless you are some kinda super focused human being, home makes for a bad spot to train in, the gym is the place to go, and preferably with someone that doesn't hold you back but pushes you constantly. I could never do the gym poo poo at home, too lazy. I could never hit the gym without a partner either because I wouldn't get pushed hard enough. Thankfuly I've got an amazing gymbro pushing me hard, and another beast as a backup.

<3 <3 Vanisher

Matoi Ryuko

Luckily I'm a super focused human being.

a cloth map

No thanks. I'm a Government man.
Has anyone ever tried stand up paddle boarding? I'm really interested in trying it but know nothing about it.

Shine

No Muscles For The Majority

a cloth map posted:

Has anyone ever tried stand up paddle boarding? I'm really interested in trying it but know nothing about it.

It's hella boring, except for when you fall in, at which point you can start swimming and have fun.

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude

Shine posted:

It's hella boring, except for when you fall in, at which point you can start swimming and have fun.

or drown if you cannot swim.

<3 <3 Vanisher

GoodbyeTurtles

a cloth map posted:

It's like kayaking but you stand up and it's not fun

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

a cloth map posted:

it's neat but IMO boring aside from when you're one of the guys who can ride one in intense waves. like this:

http://youtu.be/5UY2aTIok50

but that's cuz I don't like standing up and drying off the whole time I'm (not) in the water. however, since you're standing up you do a great service to any surfers around since you can motion to or call out any incoming waves. they handle p much like a longboard and i would be lying if I said they're great for people who can't stroke as well since everyone I know who SUPs is an established swimmer/surfer already. it's tough. I respect anyone on a SUP at north shore

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 26, 2016

a cloth map

No thanks. I'm a Government man.

Chill la Chill posted:

it's neat but IMO boring aside from when you're one of the guys who can ride one in intense waves. like this:

http://youtu.be/5UY2aTIok50

but that's cuz I don't like standing up and drying off the whole time I'm (not) in the water. however, since you're standing up you do a great service to any surfers around since you can motion to or call out any incoming waves. they handle p much like a longboard and i would be lying if I said they're great for people who can't stroke as well since everyone I know who SUPs is an established swimmer/surfer already. it's tough. I respect anyone on a SUP at north shore

North shore's where I first saw it back in like 2010. It seemed cool but I saw some girls doing it on the Tennessee River in Chattanooga a few weeks ago. They looked super bored. One of them brought their dog and the little guy seemed really freaked out. I was in a duck boat so that was cool at least.

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
>_<

I'm thinking of doing Athlean-x on a friend's rec

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude
Just set new Bench Press record today: 90kg :D Happy Face! Shoulder issues seems to be going away!

<3 <3 Vanisher

GoodbyeTurtles

I've done nothing for a week and my shoulder is acting up what the HECK DUDE

GoodbyeTurtles

I'm going to climb tomorrow and pull my arm off like that .gif of that crab

Matoi Ryuko

I ran into the forklift receptacles on the dumpster at work at full speed and now I have the most wicked bruise on my thigh, currently in the green/yellow stage.

pogi

I've only been able to use the endless stair machine thing since my arm is in a sling. Now my top half is a little deflated but my butt is cute as hell. Fair trade.

GoodbyeTurtles

The sacrifices made for the cutest buns

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude
110kg/242lbs ATG Squat , New PR today :)
Lost abit balance at bottom of 2nd one but recovered!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXxEmxSUMYo

<3 <3 Vanisher

GoodbyeTurtles

Went surfing on the weekend, it was Ok but the wind was onshore and hella strong so it took hundreds of years to paddle basically slower than the retreating tide, which sucked a bit but I got a few good waves so it was a good time.

My new wetsuit arrives soon though!

alnilam

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

My new wetsuit arrives soon though!

Ooh leopard print? Houndstooth? 80s neon?

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
neon leopard tooth houndsprint

Bhauk
I haven't hit the squat rack in a minute but last week I managed to do about 3 or 4 reps of 225 low bar and I did 5 yesterday

my form is good now, quads are barely sore. A lot of it is in my rear end and inner thighs. All day yesterday it felt like I had stood for the last 10 hours because I lifted in the morning

then after that I did some rows and poo poo

Bhauk
yeh btw fam if you don't have good posture you leave at least half the money on the table when it comes to improving your appearance

I vouch for all the info this woman offers in this book: https://www.amazon.com/Steps-Pain-Free-Back-Solutions-Shoulder/dp/0979303605

GoodbyeTurtles

alnilam posted:

Ooh leopard print? Houndstooth? 80s neon?

Oh man I need a neon leopardprint wetsuit

shabbat goy

does anyone wanna go ride bikes?

Piso Mojado

shabbat goy posted:

riding now. where you at?

alnilam

shabbat goy posted:

Hey buddy i ride so much on my commute nowadays that after that + getting around town for errands and stuff I really don't feel much like pure recreational riding anymore :( I mean I get to enjoy my commute and my errands instead so it's not a bad thing I guess

But if you want to ride somewhere fun and not crazy far sometime, like to the barge on the Mon to go rope swinging, I'm definitely down. I could also be convinced to do an overnight bikepacking trip on the GAP

GoodbyeTurtles

Managed to complete my week-long nemesis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nlj0ZFPito

And also a lovely 2 hold problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL6hl_9PbD8

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

Managed to complete my week-long nemesis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nlj0ZFPito

And also a lovely 2 hold problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL6hl_9PbD8

That is some cool stuff :>
Climbers arm strenght always impressed me :>

<3 <3 Vanisher

Bhauk
6 reps total 225 lbs low bar

more rows

calves

push ups

a few heavy curls

shabbat goy

alnilam posted:

Hey buddy i ride so much on my commute nowadays that after that + getting around town for errands and stuff I really don't feel much like pure recreational riding anymore :( I mean I get to enjoy my commute and my errands instead so it's not a bad thing I guess

But if you want to ride somewhere fun and not crazy far sometime, like to the barge on the Mon to go rope swinging, I'm definitely down. I could also be convinced to do an overnight bikepacking trip on the GAP

This sounds cool and I just got a new tent! Someday... Ack, summer's too short, I wish I could commute by bike.

I really want to try gliding sometime too , it looks like a very fun + relaxing way to spend an afternoon, plus way easier + cheaper than getting a pilot's license: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=715E0OTEWuk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halbey
I've started doing Rodney Yee yoga DVDs and I love it because it's quiet, it calms me down, and makes me way more flexible. My kind of workout. I could do this my while life. I love the steady results and gains and that it's not something to dread, but to look forward to.

• Locked thread