Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
has he kissed a girl yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, I get the impression that Ippo getting his is less a matter of him being bad at defense and more a matter of his opponents being extremely good at offense. Against anyone who isn't top class Ippo is probably very good at avoiding their punches.

No actually he is hot garbage

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
one thing i dont get even after rereading is why ippo didn't just challenge for the opbf title. like i get narrative wise the whole thing with "we were never fated to fight" with miyata but surely he's been the #1 rank in the opbf for some time now (i would think even prior to the national champions saga). miyatas just going through the motions w/ the other challengers at this pt, and i get that kamogawa was all pissed they broke off the fight to beat randy (unification taking precedence over #1 challenger) but surely ippo couldve waited 1 single more fight then forced miyata to fight as the top ranked challenger

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
At last Takamura says what we're all thinking.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I don't understand the point of a new Dempsey roll when the thing has already been beaten before. They even make a point of using it on someone who's never seen it before to get a feel for how it works so how reliable can it be really be?

I mean I'm betting the author will forget all that to show off how amazing it is, but still.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 9, 2016

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

tbp posted:

one thing i dont get even after rereading is why ippo didn't just challenge for the opbf title. like i get narrative wise the whole thing with "we were never fated to fight" with miyata but surely he's been the #1 rank in the opbf for some time now (i would think even prior to the national champions saga). miyatas just going through the motions w/ the other challengers at this pt, and i get that kamogawa was all pissed they broke off the fight to beat randy (unification taking precedence over #1 challenger) but surely ippo couldve waited 1 single more fight then forced miyata to fight as the top ranked challenger

It was presented as a timing thing, wasn't it? If they didn't fight at that bout, their schedules weren't really going to be in sync enough for a fight to work out.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Sonata Mused posted:

At last Takamura says what we're all thinking.

I'm starting to think Takamura is going to die. Morikawa refloated the eye thing and he's making Takamura be a dick regarding Ippo's place in the gym (with reason); I think he's going to get a bad blow to the head because of his bad eye and die so Ippo can get a proper motivation.

Hope I'm wrong and he just continues to be invincible.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I've read this poo poo for like 10 years now, mainly justifying it to myself that it only takes a few mins tops to get through a lovely chapter for those 4-5 a year good ones.

If they kill Takamura off I'm never reading this again.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Unfortunately, they'll probably kill off Coach Kamogawa before anybody. That's been hinted at many times before. My guess is that Takamura will eventually conquer all 6 weight classes, then take on Kamogawa's role as head trainer of the gym. I don't see Takamura ever settling down and becoming a family man. Takamura reminds me a lot of young Kamogawa or Nekota. All of them are proud, solitary, and self-motivated.

Maybe Ippo should go hang out with Nekota in order to perfect his new Dempsey.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 12, 2016

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm starting to think Takamura is going to die. Morikawa refloated the eye thing and he's making Takamura be a dick regarding Ippo's place in the gym (with reason); I think he's going to get a bad blow to the head because of his bad eye and die so Ippo can get a proper motivation.

Hope I'm wrong and he just continues to be invincible.

the eye thing may turn out to be real, but takamura will definitely at least MAKE IT to the heavyweight title. i'd say 99% chance he wins it too. that's his story arc, the relationship between him and boxing, him and the coach and then him and the gymmates are his storyline and they've got 4 more arcs to explore it. makes it all the more insane that they decided to give him that dumb unification fight that really didn't push his character forward , though

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
The author is going to die long before anyone in this story is.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

rewatching the date fight and ippos reaction to the loss, the author is actually pretty good about setting up themes long in advanced. granted idk how conscious it is. but ippo "makes excuses" ("i didn't listen to what you told me" he says to the coach) and also is really bummed because he went in wanting to win. when he lost to alfredo there was none of that at all

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

new chapter is up, kinda pointless one tho, all it is is the coach telling ippo how the dempsey roll should work from here on out and that ippo needs to keep making his body stronger. this manga could really use a timeskip

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Lmao at the perspective on that hill.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Coach ghost was pretty funny though

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

yeah i like the coach getting excited but i felt this couldve been a chapter where ippo delt with "crossing the line" instead of just talking about the dempsey.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Good Ippo, you look kinda cool!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

:pwn:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

ive never been to japan but every series ever makes it seem like there are those weird raised roads leading to rivers everywhere.

that perspective is inexcusable lol

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

tbp posted:

ive never been to japan but every series ever makes it seem like there are those weird raised roads leading to rivers everywhere.

that perspective is inexcusable lol

they're called levees.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Lamebot posted:

they're called levees.

ive never been to japan but every series ever makes it seem like there are those weird rlevees everywhere.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

tbp posted:

ive never been to japan but every series ever makes it seem like there are those weird rlevees everywhere.

In a country with a rough mountain interior people build out like crazy on the flood plains. The Tokyo Bay region is a prime example of this.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Lamebot posted:

In a country with a rough mountain interior people build out like crazy on the flood plains. The Tokyo Bay region is a prime example of this.

well then it would make sense that although ive never been to japan every series ever makes it seem like there are those weird rlevees everywhere.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

what IS japan

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

From my limited experience in Japan (I went to a pretty small village near Niigata), those riverside areas are very common. I actually like them quite a bit for reasons I can't quite describe.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

From my limited experience in Japan (I went to a pretty small village near Niigata), those riverside areas are very common. I actually like them quite a bit for reasons I can't quite describe.

they seem peaceful, and a place to tell your teenage love how you feel about her, while affirming your goals and endeavors, but only after 1000 chapters

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Lamebot posted:

Good Ippo, you look kinda cool!

This is a hilarious page

Why cant he just learn to box better tho, it seemed to work in RRR

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The whole fact that this comic treats the Dempsey Roll like some amazing special move is hilarious. It is not a fancy technique.

edit: I feel like Ippo's new edit to the Dempsey Roll would just gently caress up its momentum, since he would be putting extra energy into the up-down movement that could instead go into making his punches stronger.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Its only because ippo cannot be knocked out by human means. He could really grind fighters out if he would just stop with the lovely gimmicks but no, we need to go deeper

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Wild Horses posted:

This is a hilarious page

Why cant he just learn to box better tho, it seemed to work in RRR

i think the general idea they go with is that ippo doesnt have the body awareness for world level ring control, so trying to box better than any of his would be opponents would end disastrously. + he's got the reach disadvantage compared to everyone he fights cuz he's quite stocky. i said this before but its interesting to bring up again, in-universe he's not really considered to be just "taking punches" because multiple times the characters remark that he's good at avoiding punches at close range which is part of his dash style. its just that morikawa does an rear end job of getting this across bc he feels the need to show him taking counters straights and jabs nonstop to really sell the level of the fight.

what will probably happen is that the next opponent ippo fights will struggle hitting him w/ all the motion and then wont be able to defend from the "wind god" poo poo. he'll lose big and then we'll get ippo's final leg of his world journey

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

tbp posted:

they seem peaceful, and a place to tell your teenage love how you feel about her, while affirming your goals and endeavors, but only after 1000 chapters

has he kissed someone yet or is it still under 1000 chapters?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

http://www.alexforencich.com/blog/2010/11/17/hirose-river/

Not that bad a place! Can see why it shows up everywhere in manga.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Jose posted:

has he kissed someone yet or is it still under 1000 chapters?

haha hes not, additionally, we are over 1k chapters.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Bisse posted:

http://www.alexforencich.com/blog/2010/11/17/hirose-river/

Not that bad a place! Can see why it shows up everywhere in manga.

oh wow, on one hand not at all what i'd expected theyd look like given manga in general but on the other thats quite nice

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

this is a funny page

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Jesus how does kimura only have 23 fights while itagaki has 12 already??

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DamnGlitch posted:

Jesus how does kimura only have 23 fights while itagaki has 12 already??

on a rewatch, the timeline is actually a lot weirder than it seems from a cursory glance. they make it seem like aoki, kimura and takamura are boxing for ages before ippo gets there based on the way they talk about certain things but they've all only have like a few fights beforehand. takamura, the vet of the group, had fought only 7 fights before meeting ippo. its harder to tell for aokimura, but i think aoki at least only had like a 2-2 record when we are introduced to him.

the records are sortve explanable. takamura couldn't find opponents because he was basically too good and nobody in japan wanted to bother, and aokimura kept losing in tournaments where there were rapid fights (rookie king and class A) so ippo and itagaki got fights much more quickly. so that makes sense, but the way that they talk about their careers doesn't really. probably best not to think about it too much.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

The new chapter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK4gv11PTI8

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
For a 13 page chapter, it feels like a ton just happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Man, the Kamogawa gym is terrible at keeping secret moves secret.