Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The theme is fine I think but yeah it will get boring if they use it all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they will change the lighting color and the recycled models around the ring and put new music on it and sell it for 25 dollars next year don't worry

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The stage was cool but it's no Salty Bets tournament stage.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The stage was cool but it's no Salty Bets tournament stage.

if strider was in the corner of the cpt stage i would have been really happy

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

if strider was in the corner of the cpt stage i would have been really happy

Make it A2 Ken stage Strider throwing a teddy bear and you've got a deal!

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Saint Freak posted:

The EVO bump saw STREET FIGHTER V have over 2,000 people playing for like, multiple hours! We're on the comeback trail!

Those are actually the normal numbers :X

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Night Blade posted:

Those are actually the normal numbers :X

Normal numbers have been like ~1300

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

My favorite part about fg's is yelling at people on the internet about which ones are poo poo instead of playing the good ones.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You can do both

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pomp posted:

You can do both

This

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
The gameplay of sf5 is kinda just blah.

You can't get good at any fighter without playing it.
No one is saying random person picking up gg rev for the first time is going against ogawa in 3 weeks so I don't understand the mentality that it has to have a fast learning curve. If anything I think a player will plateau faster and for longer in sf5 then rev.
When you start from 0 they are all hard

It's fine to like and play sf5 maybe they'l fix it in like 8 months but right now avidly supporting the game feels very stockholm.
Ono literally went on stage and said "well lol the game started off shakey, so heres 25 dollar dlc, some of the value will go to players for our tournament, I guess" "Sorry for the poo poo launch, so um. buy the dlc, juri will come at some point guys seeya, also go buy the beach dlc or the costumes, or the colors besides 1 and 2 that are free in every fighter ever"

I think the average person would find a game with more content more enjoyable.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Dizzy's model and moveset has more effort and care put into it then the entirety of sf5 so far and that just makes me sad, not salty, but sad.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Dracula Factory posted:

My favorite part about fg's is yelling at people on the internet about which ones are poo poo instead of playing the good ones.
p
l
a
y

m
a
r
v
e
l

https://a.pomf.cat/tcwcqr.webm

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

SectumSempra posted:

Dizzy's model and moveset has more effort and care put into it then the entirety of sf5 so far and that just makes me sad, not salty, but sad.

I'm new to fighting games "relatively"? SFV was supposed to be my first jump into trying to be competitive. I loving hate it. I've had more fun with GGXRD / Skullgirls.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Real hurthling! posted:

:agree:

i've mashed out like 15 hit combos in gg by accident when i'm on tilt and freaking out at the end of a match but that's impossible in sfv.

Amount of hits has very little to do with whether what you did was any good though. A new player can enjoy doing multi-hit combos but that has no bearing on whether the game is any easier or harder, though it can *feel* better as a result and keep their attention.

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007

Fereydun posted:

p
l
a
y

m
a
r
v
e
l
0:55 :vince:.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Why are people concerned about SF5 player numbers on PC anyway. It's a tiny fraction of the players compared to those who are playing it on the system its meant to be played on playstation 4 the official sponsor of the capcom pro tour.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

This is an amazing evo moment we're witnessing here... Brought you by PS4, ride the walrus. and Vertagear gaming chairs.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
geico gaming made me the person I am today

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Spent several hours today learning Nash by doing as many trials as I could and then grinding through the survival mode with him. Using the survival mode as a way to practice doing the first few challenge combos is a really good way to learn the character! I queued for some casual matches after beating the Easy, Normal, and Hard difficulty survival modes (took me like 3 hours because the final five levels are really cranked up in difficulty compared to the rest) and went 3-1, losing only to a good Mika player who kept crossing me up endlessly.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
I haven't bought this game yet because I didn't think balrog was in it. Is he any good? I don't mind if he plays differently than in sf4 but if he is hot garbage, i don't even want to think about this game until juri.

Dias posted:

first they came for our buttslaps, but i didn't say nothing because i didn't give a gently caress
then they came for our revealing costumes, but i didn't say nothing because i like her alts better anyway
then they came for r mika itself

turns out the police state ain't all that bad

Jeez the mika hate is strong in this thread. I thought she was on everyone's wish list based on previous threads.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
You couldn't do all the trials hah what a dweeb

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Mad Lupine posted:

I haven't bought this game yet because I didn't think balrog was in it. Is he any good? I don't mind if he plays differently than in sf4 but if he is hot garbage, i don't even want to think about this game until juri.

Jeez the mika hate is strong in this thread. I thought she was on everyone's wish list based on previous threads.

I've always hated Mika and her design, and now I hate playing against Mika. :colbert: I'm not sure about these other fucks tho.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

dangerdoom volvo posted:

You couldn't do all the trials hah what a dweeb

He somehow beat survival on hard though

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Mika is the savior of Street Fighter

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mad Lupine posted:

Balrog isn't hot garbage but is different for sure, mainly headbutt being different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Br5PAeHh30

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Goetta posted:

Balrog isn't hot garbage but is different for sure, mainly headbutt being different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Br5PAeHh30

He's bad and gets ruined by anyone with a command grab.

Spoilers, that's half the cast.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I regret spending fight money on Ibuki. Balrog is at least fun

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

You know, while everyone's being negative about SF5 I have at least one nice thing to say which is that I genuinely think the game's got a pretty good soundtrack.

Raaaashiiiidooooo

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Love Stole the Day posted:

Spent several hours today learning Nash by doing as many trials as I could and then grinding through the survival mode with him. Using the survival mode as a way to practice doing the first few challenge combos is a really good way to learn the character! I queued for some casual matches after beating the Easy, Normal, and Hard difficulty survival modes (took me like 3 hours because the final five levels are really cranked up in difficulty compared to the rest) and went 3-1, losing only to a good Mika player who kept crossing me up endlessly.

We have at least a couple people playing in lobbies most nights on discord. Most of them will beat the living poo poo out of you but also give you feedback in real time about how they are doing it, which has helped me a lot.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

He's bad and gets ruined by anyone with a command grab.

How is he any worse vs cmd grabs than the other half of the cast that don't have fully-invin or throw-invin moves?

He has access to Jumping and Backdashing, the main tools to beat throws in this game. Outside of Zangiefs super, command grabs are all slower than the fastest normals every character has, so there is not the common fighting game theme of a grappler who can punish things that are normally safe.

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 19, 2016

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

How is he any worse vs cmd grabs than the other half of the cast that don't have fully-invin or throw-invin moves?

Well the biggest thing to me in that regard as someone who has put a good amount of time into rog, is the alpha counter leaves you at -2 right in front of their face touching the opponent because of its forward momentum. That isn't the case for anyone else with hit alpha counters. Being negative while touching someone with a command grab really sucks balls.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Evil Canadian posted:

Well the biggest thing to me in that regard as someone who has put a good amount of time into rog, is the alpha counter leaves you at -2 right in front of their face touching the opponent because of its forward momentum. That isn't the case for anyone else with hit alpha counters. Being negative while touching someone with a command grab really sucks balls.

Ugh, sounds lame. Will wait to buy this unfinished Game when juri arrives. Appreciate the info. :)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Wait, Balrog's v-reversal is -2 on HIT? Zangief can land a loving super against it on hit?!?

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

I don't think that's half the cast.

Even Birdie has throw invincibility on his EX command grab. Not even the Free Willy leap, the grounded one.

Balrog has by far the worst V-Reversal in the game, stubby normals, unsafe specials, a wide hurtbox, and no attacks that counter meaty throws except like Level 8+ TAP and Super.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

A.o.D. posted:

Wait, Balrog's v-reversal is -2 on HIT? Zangief can land a loving super against it on hit?!?

No, -2 on block

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Shiki Dan posted:

Even Birdie has throw invincibility on his EX command grab. Not even the Free Willy leap, the grounded one.

Balrog has by far the worst V-Reversal in the game, stubby normals, unsafe specials, a wide hurtbox, and no attacks that counter meaty throws except like Level 8+ TAP and Super.

I... don't need to hear anymore... Please... no more

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Shiki Dan posted:

Also if anyone isn't on that list they have fireballs.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
The v-reversal thing makes much a tiny difference against "characters with command grabs" compared to "every character." Being -2 next to everybody is lovely when you have no invincible moves.

Throw-specific immunity is really limited in usage. It is literally always better to avoid command grabs by jumping or backdashing than doing things like Gief or Birdie EX command grabs on wakeup/from disadvantage. Other throw-immune things are generally in the middle of specific normals that wouldn't be relevant in such situations.

I'm not arguing about whether he's bad or not (it's SF5, everyone is bad) but there's nothing about his design that specifically makes "having a command grab" give you a huge advantage over him compared to any other character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Nodoze posted:

No, -2 on block

That's still really freakin' bad.