Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Eh, it looks like a pretty plastic medal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

HGH posted:

What's the status of Macross in the west? I recall watching a "Robotech" some 10+ years ago.

The last thing I remember of a Macross game getting localized was 2002's Robotech:Battlecry

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robotech:_Battlecry

The GIG posted:

Picked up my vita for the first time in a year and got Gundam vs Force. Pretty fun for a game they sent out to die.

Care to give more detail? I keep going back and forth on getting it because Gundam. I found what I thought was a well written review on Forbes, of all places:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/games/2016/02/11/gundam-extreme-versus-force-is-a-good-game-but-the-wrong-one-for-the-west/#55e2e61d1331

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Wamdoodle posted:

The last thing I remember of a Macross game getting localized was 2002's Robotech:Battlecry

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robotech:_Battlecry

That wasn't localized it was straight up made by a US company.

There was also an online FPS game called Invasion that came out later from the same dudes.

Neither is very good, frankly.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Phantasium posted:

That wasn't localized it was straight up made by a US company.

There was also an online FPS game called Invasion that came out later from the same dudes.

Neither is very good, frankly.

Oh I see. I just copy and pasted the link. I didn't fact check. I vaguely remember the FPS too. Battlecry was definitely blah though.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Wamdoodle posted:

Care to give more detail? I keep going back and forth on getting it because Gundam. I found what I thought was a well written review on Forbes, of all places:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/games/2016/02/11/gundam-extreme-versus-force-is-a-good-game-but-the-wrong-one-for-the-west/#55e2e61d1331

Honestly the writer hit it on the head. It's a pretty simple fighting system, but each suit has different movesets and at least something else going for it so it doesn't feel like you're just playing the same thing but with a different weapon. The force stuff is also pretty simple, but still fun to play around with, your army is never really useless, just not as good as you personally. One thing I really love is the soundtrack made it over intact, so instead of the generic soundtrack you normally get in like DW: Gundam, it's actual stuff from the shows. Other than that nothing really outstanding, it's really just a game that aimed to be simple but fun and it accomplished that, it's just after having gotten nothing Gundam outside of DW: Gundam for so long, dropping the simple little Vita title out here instead of Gundam Breaker 3 just feels lame, especially since they're actively trying to get Gundam back on it's feet in the west.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I don't know anything about mecha anime but I like mecha games, so as long as they keep bringing over giant robots that blow everything up games over I'm satisfied.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Can anyone who's actually played the main Gundam VS series comment either way on whether Force fucks up the combat mechanics?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

force's combat mechanics are fine the problem is the lack of suits and features that have been standard in the vs series for like four or five iterations now

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Endorph posted:

force's combat mechanics are fine the problem is the lack of suits and features that have been standard in the vs series for like four or five iterations now

tbh I'm willing to accept that it's not a real VS game and so play it single-player, as long as the combat mechanics aren't hosed up and the AI is reasonably decent.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

North American PSN has a Superhero sale going on this week.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
And poof goes $8 on MMX and Strider 2 when I get home.

Jerk thanks

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Media Create Sales: Week 28, 2016 (Jul 11 - Jul 17)

07./00. [PSV] Uppers <FTG> (Marvelous) {2016.07.14} (¥4.980) - 6.931 / NEW

Famitsu Sales: Week 29, 2016 (Jul 11 - Jul 17)

07./00. [PSV] Uppers <FTG> (Marvelous) {2016.07.14} (¥4.980) - 7.218 / NEW <40-60%>

:rip:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It was kinda dead from the moment they postponed it from lack of preorders.
Also huh, these Trails in the Sky Vita updates do less than I thought they did. Then again the last 2 months have had some of the most depressingly low figures I've seen in a while.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Add Pokemon Go being a colossal success and I wouldn't be surprised if we're seeing the last of handheld videogames.

Only mobile games from now on:smith:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I really doubt it, honestly.

For one thing the pokemon games themselves will probably always be on handheld consoles.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There are things you can only do on a dedicated handheld and while they might become more niche as people who'd buy one for sudoku games or something move on to mobile stuff, I don't think they'll ever go away, at least not for the foreseeable future.

Though I dunno if anyone other than Nintendo will bother trying with one again.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the next super smash bros game is definitely gonna be on a phone touch screen with no buttons or joysticks

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

it's getting about time for new handhelds huh

i don't think we're seeing the last of dedicated handhelds, maybe from sony

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sakurazuka posted:

There are things you can only do on a dedicated handheld and while they might become more niche as people who'd buy one for sudoku games or something move on to mobile stuff, I don't think they'll ever go away, at least not for the foreseeable future.

Though I dunno if anyone other than Nintendo will bother trying with one again.

Nintendo is the only company that seems to know how to make moolah off handhelds anymore.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
There's nothing about Pokemon that necessitates a joystick and some physical buttons, it can be played perfectly with a touchscreen.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

El Hefe posted:

There's nothing about Pokemon that necessitates a joystick and some physical buttons, it can be played perfectly with a touchscreen.

You can say that about every turn based RPG. The thing is that Nintendo makes games that require things like dexterity and precise control, which has yet to be achieved using touch screens. Imagine trying to play Metroid or Zelda with phone touch controls.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I would argue that while you can certainly play turn based RPG's adequately on a touch only device it's not the best way to play them.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Improbable Lobster posted:

You can say that about every turn based RPG. The thing is that Nintendo makes games that require things like dexterity and precise control, which has yet to be achieved using touch screens. Imagine trying to play Metroid or Zelda with phone touch controls.

Metroid requires some precise jumping and such, so that may not work, but top-down Zelda can absolutely be done well on a phone.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.adventures&hl=en

As long as you can make it so the most important stuff in the game happens in, like, 4:3 in the center of a horizontal screen, most handheld games can be done on mobile pretty easily. That doesn't necessarily mean they'll be as pleasant to play as using d-pads and physical buttons, but they're not undoable.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

El Hefe posted:

If by perfectly you mean slow and annoying, sure.

Most games could be probably converted to phones but the controls will still be much worse than with physical buttons.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Buttons and a dpad/stick are always going to feel a thousand times more satisfying than mobile touch controls sorry

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

SpacePig posted:

Metroid requires some precise jumping and such, so that may not work, but top-down Zelda can absolutely be done well on a phone.

As long as you can make it so the most important stuff in the game happens in, like, 4:3 in the center of a horizontal screen, most handheld games can be done on mobile pretty easily. That doesn't necessarily mean they'll be as pleasant to play as using d-pads and physical buttons, but they're not undoable.

I played this for like 2 hours on phones and then platinumed it when it came out of Vita. It's garbage without buttons.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

There won't be a vita 2 but handhelds aren't gonna die off.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

SpacePig posted:

Okay, so you can play turn based rpgs and and top down zelda with bad controls on touch screens. That leaves out Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, action RPGs, 3D Zelda, any sort of shooter, and basically anything else that moves even slightly quick. I think phone controls aren't an option for Nintendo.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Turn based rpgs suck on phones too imo

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i don't like playing games on my phone

so!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

Turn based rpgs suck on phones too imo

They do. The menu navigation is really annoying without buttons.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

voltcatfish posted:

i don't like playing games on my phone

so!

Me too

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
There's way more money pandering to casuals than pandering to neckbeards, traditional game companies have been slow to realize it but you'll see how there won't be more than one maybe two more console generations before it all becomes standardized and everything just comes out for iPhone and PC.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

El Hefe posted:

There's way more money pandering to casuals than pandering to neckbeards, traditional game companies have been slow to realize it but you'll see how there won't be more than one maybe two more console generations before it all becomes standardized and everything just comes out for iPhone and PC.

Just because the casual market is large that doesn't mean that there isn't room for a handheld console.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Andrast posted:

Just because the casual market is large that doesn't mean that there isn't room for a handheld console.

I'm sure someone will make an ngage 2.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Cake Attack posted:

There won't be a vita 2 but handhelds aren't gonna die off.

I believe that the Vita will have a successor, because there is a market for it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Andrast posted:

It does unless handheld consoles can somehow justify their increase development budgets and costs. Part of the reason we see fewer b-tier games is because even a low-budget game has massively increased development budgets if just through things like voice acting. The Vita is not a cheap system to develop for and unless the 3DS successor is hilariously underpowered it is going to have the same problem.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Takoluka posted:

I believe that the Vita will have a successor, because there is a market for it.

Nintendo will buy the Vita

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

El Hefe posted:

I'm sure someone will make an ngage 2.

Well it's about time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Takoluka posted:

I kinda figured whatever succeeds the 3ds will get it all, although that depends on what nintendo actually does. Either way I can't say for sure, that was just my instinct