Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Renoistic posted:

ARISE completely lost me after the episode where the military guy who was on trouble for slaughtering civilians turned out to be innocent because the civilians were actually all out to kill him, including the child. OORAH

Are you sure you don't mean, jihad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, that's the one. Ripped right off from the Tommy Lee Jones-Samuel L. Jackson movie Rules Of Engagement.

That's exactly what I thought off when I watched the episode. I don't think I've ever been more pissed off at a Hollywood movie.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

what the heck are y'all talking about, the movie sucks and is incredibly boring philosophy-babble with some nice animation. the TV show is actually good

K. Waste posted:

The problem is twofold:

1) The whitewashing meme is objectively wrong in this scenario. Nobody involved in selling the IP/TM to Ghost in the Shell has any illusion that there is some essence of 'asian-ness' to a superficial economic property. More importantly, they are thoroughly willing and even earnestly affirmative of being complicit in Orientalism, as long as it will make them money.

*writes essay about how technological collectivism is baked into the essential nipponese spirit*

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

icantfindaname posted:

*writes essay about how technological collectivism is baked into the essential nipponese spirit*

I actually said nothing about "nipponese spirit," racist crackpot - I was explicitly making a critique of capitalism.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

icantfindaname posted:

what the heck are y'all talking about, the movie sucks and is incredibly boring philosophy-babble with some nice animation. the TV show is actually good
So the stuff that people have been talking about and questioning since first pen met papyrus is boring philosophy-babble? I really gotta disagree here. The TV show was great (well, 2nd Gig was definitely better than the first iteration) but the first movie was top notch. The whole premise - based on the movie, I still haven't read the manga - is the recurring theme in a lot of science fic/cyberpunk stuff, i.e. "what is reality?" "what is identity?" "is the creation of life spontaneous?" "how do you even define 'life'?" All the intrigue and stuff is just a backdrop for these themes and others.

There's not many mainstream futuristic movies that pose these questions and even fewer that do so elegantly. Compared to GitS, the Matrix is a little kids movie. Same Blade Runner. Ghost compresses a novel's worth of content into a ninety minute movie.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

icantfindaname posted:

imo it's the music. the movie has one of the best soundtracks of all time and the music provides all the emotion the screenplay is missing and then some

phasmid posted:

"what is reality?" "what is identity?" "is the creation of life spontaneous?" "how do you even define 'life'?"

:2bong:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

icantfindaname posted:

I rewatched the show recently and the Laughing Man stuff is just an excuse to put in a bunch of vaguely philosophical book quotes wrapped around some technobabble. There are also a loooooot of bad filler episodes. The movie is consistently strong and much shorter than the TV series.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Nice rebuttal to every philosopher since the stone age. Omg the stoned age lol. Dweeb.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

nah. The show is kinda boring at exploring its themes, like having the Laughing Man just talking about what he intended and so on for half an episode.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

phasmid posted:

Nice rebuttal to every philosopher since the stone age. Omg the stoned age lol. Dweeb.

the thing is, it's not like those questions aren't worth asking but boiling them down to a forums post--or even a 90-minute movie--just makes them sound like college-dorm bullshit. to wit:

quote:

Major Motoko Kusanagi: I mean, have you ever actually seen your brain?

not that i mind college-dorm bullshit, but to claim you're getting the same treatment of these ideas from a movie (that also has to leave room for invisibility-cloak shenanigans and tank battles) that you would from a book is a little bit silly

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
How can our eyes be real when mirrors aren't real?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Clipperton posted:

the thing is, it's not like those questions aren't worth asking but boiling them down to a forums post--or even a 90-minute movie--just makes them sound like college-dorm bullshit. to wit:

not that i mind college-dorm bullshit, but to claim you're getting the same treatment of these ideas from a movie (that also has to leave room for invisibility-cloak shenanigans and tank battles) that you would from a book is a little bit silly
A book would have to take more time to describe the actions of characters, their movements or the reasons they're being still. The main character is having, well, maybe not an existential crisis, but she's unsure of how much of her is really human. She's been a cyborg since before she can remember, her body is government property. If she ever decided to quit Section they'd probably either erase her memory or flush her brain down the toilet. Despite all her powers, her choices are very limited regardless of said invisibility and future gadgets.

She's attached via some kind of wifi to all her colleagues. If they want, they can hear her thoughts and see what she sees. She can turn it off when she wants to be alone, but since they're always kind of "on call" that's a real luxury. So since she's never alone with her thoughts, she's even worse off. At the end of the movie when she wants to talk to the Puppetmaster, she disconnects from Batou, who gets pissed. I think it's implied that Batou is in love with her but knows full well that isn't going to happen. They can't have real lives.

The Puppetmaster itself claims to be alive, not AI since it wasn't designed. Supposedly just "woke up" after enough data had accrued around it. So something that began as a computer virus was swimming around the internet and came across enough things on wikipedia or whatever and started to connect the dots. That may be a germ for many good college-dorm bullshitting sessions, but it's also pertinent to current/future events. Just because it's gotten so mainstream that everybody with spare time is talking about it doesn't mean it's not worth discussing - maybe just keep your distance from the "whoa. mind. blown." college crowd?

(On that note, it can be pretty exhausting when you're in a group of navel-gazers who don't really think about this stuff/read books. That's probably another reason why the live action movie probably won't contain much philosophy.)

Whew.

Maybe comparing it to a book seems off, but what movies can portray in microseconds takes paragraphs in a book. At any rate, I'm not saying movies are superior to books, if that's your objection.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

K. Waste posted:

I actually said nothing about "nipponese spirit," racist crackpot - I was explicitly making a critique of capitalism.

I'm not talking about you, I'm talking about the opinion-having internet at large

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 23, 2016

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Young Freud posted:

The fact that they're getting Beat Takeshi and only have him speak in Japanese frustrates me for some reason. I can't really put my finger on why it upsets me so.

I'm amazed they got him at all; after Brother he sounded like he didn't intend to work outside of Japan ever again.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

No one's talked about the leaked cast photos? Well, here they are. No one's sure where they came from but they've been circulating around Asia for about a week or so. The characters are Chinese, so, I'm assuming from some sort of Chinese licensing or distribution event. The two art works are anything thing that's been included in many of the articles, so I'm not sure if it's fan art or actual concept art from the film production.

I'm not that happy with how this is turning out. Word has that they're never referring to Kusanagi by her name, just by her rank, I'm guessing to avoid naming her due to the whitewashing allegations. I'm heavily disappointed that Batou doesn't have his eyes and I don't even think "adding them in post" is going to happen, considering that Borma and Saito have their eyes done. Speaking of which, Saito looks like he belongs in a Japanese '80s scifi movie like GunHED or Zeiram his makeup looks so bad. I can tolerate Ishikawa and Borma being played by African actors, but Togusa looks super old for the part. And I think people have too much respect for Beat Takeshi that his Aramaki to not tell him that he looks like he should be sequestered in a Romanian castle with his vampire brides, waiting for Keanu Reeves to show up.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Young Freud posted:

No one's talked about the leaked cast photos? Well, here they are. No one's sure where they came from but they've been circulating around Asia for about a week or so. The characters are Chinese, so, I'm assuming from some sort of Chinese licensing or distribution event. The two art works are anything thing that's been included in many of the articles, so I'm not sure if it's fan art or actual concept art from the film production.

I'm not that happy with how this is turning out. Word has that they're never referring to Kusanagi by her name, just by her rank, I'm guessing to avoid naming her due to the whitewashing allegations. I'm heavily disappointed that Batou doesn't have his eyes and I don't even think "adding them in post" is going to happen, considering that Borma and Saito have their eyes done. Speaking of which, Saito looks like he belongs in a Japanese '80s scifi movie like GunHED or Zeiram his makeup looks so bad. I can tolerate Ishikawa and Borma being played by African actors, but Togusa looks super old for the part. And I think people have too much respect for Beat Takeshi that his Aramaki to not tell him that he looks like he should be sequestered in a Romanian castle with his vampire brides, waiting for Keanu Reeves to show up.

This is totally fake. Look at those eyes.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
No Paz.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Asian Robert de Niro has been great in everything I've seen him in. That picture will make me watch this movie.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Man I hadn't read the premise of this film before. It's pretty funny when compared to season 1 of SAC.

quote:

Based on the internationally-acclaimed sci-fi property, “Ghost in the Shell” follows a female special ops cyborg who leads an elite task force called Section 9 for Hanka Robotics. Section 9 is devoted to stopping the most dangerous criminals and extremists, led by The Laughing Man whose singular goal is to wipe out Hanka’s advancements in cyber technology.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tenzarin posted:

This is totally fake. Look at those eyes.

Unnamed guy has actual loving googly eyes :lol:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Man I hadn't read the premise of this film before. It's pretty funny when compared to season 1 of SAC.

It's basically someone ripping off the plot to Deus Ex: Human Revolution and changing the names to GITS stuff.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Is there some way to change the thread title to that picture of a black guy with googly eyes? Because holy poo poo.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

So googly eyes is this guy, right?

Man, I sure hope his eyes looks better in motion/a decent quality photo.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mierenneuker posted:

So googly eyes is this guy, right?

Man, I sure hope his eyes looks better in motion/a decent quality photo.

Yep, although Batou has the same implants as well.

I will admit, I've often wondered about the mechanics of how Batou/Boma/JGSDF Ranger eyes work, like are they covering the eye like Molly Millions from "Neuromancer" and would look indiscernible from sunglasses at a distance or a cursory glance, do they replace the entire eye and socket, or do they poke out of the existing eyelid like some sort of telescopic contact lens? Some of Shirow's work looks like the latter, where it looks like they're extruding from Batou's eyelids and other times they look like a cover.

The stage play adaptation of GITS: ARISE makes them look like implanted swimmer goggles.

The stage play also conceived that Saito's "eagle eye" implant as a full socket covering/replacement with a flip-up eye patch.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

:suicide:

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Tangentially related: For anyone interested in the Philly area, the original film is playing at the Phoenixville Colonial tonight at 10p. http://thecolonialtheatre.com/programs/ghost-in-the-shell/

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Batou's adorable. Looks terrible for Batou but still adorable.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Where is Batou's Bassett

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Togusa has not aged well

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick
Batou looks like cyberpunk Frank Sobotka.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Knight posted:

Togusa has not aged well

Lol hes supposed to be the youngest member haha. He looks older than Amaraki and emo haircut.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Togusa is the viewer surrogate.

I identify with the actor; he looks how I feel.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

Lol hes supposed to be the youngest member haha. He looks older than Amaraki and emo haircut.
It's a strange casting decision considering that the point of the character is that being a young family man gives him a different mindset from the rest of the team.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ersatz posted:

It's a strange casting decision considering that the point of the character is that being a young family man gives him a different mindset from the rest of the team.

I have a major feeling that, in this film, most of Section 9 doesn't really matter, only the Major and maybe Batou, because you know they're going to work a love triangle angle between the two of them and Michael Pitt's Laughing Man. It's why most of the Section 9 cast is a bunch of no names. Or, like Aramaki, being isolated due to speaking only Japanese in this movie.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Ccs posted:

Also of interest is that Mamoru Oshii is a big fan of Scarlett Johansson, and his preference is actually the main reason why she was cast as The Major. So this was actually a case of a Japanese guy whitewashing his own film?

if this was really Oshii's film then it might actually be good

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's not really too surprising that they wanted a big star to try and sell the film really.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
This movie's going to be poo poo either way but I don't know why the internet always gets in an uproar about a bunch of raw production test shots every time. Don't these photos literally only exist so someone can look at them for like one second before deciding on a different shade of gray for someone's suit or whatever?

Zas posted:

if this was really Oshii's film then it might actually be good

I'm not as optimistic since Oshii hasn't made a good movie since Ghost in the Shell itself.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Kinda disappointing thus far but I'm guessing no clean up/post/proper effect production is done yet to make everything look good...I hope.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

This movie's going to be poo poo either way but I don't know why the internet always gets in an uproar about a bunch of raw production test shots every time. Don't these photos literally only exist so someone can look at them for like one second before deciding on a different shade of gray for someone's suit or whatever?

True, but we've already seen what the Major and Batou look like from set photos, so it's not like it's going to be that much of a difference.

Gatts posted:

Kinda disappointing thus far but I'm guessing no clean up/post/proper effect production is done yet to make everything look good...I hope.

That's what I'm hoping for myself, like they'll add Batou's eyes in post and the only reason Borma's googly eyes are practical is because Rupert Sanders doesn't care for any of the rest of the Section 9 characters. The problem with many leaked photos is that they seem to be leaked with permission. You're not seeing Paramount running around trying to shut these cast photos or the set photos down, which they would do if it hadn't been meant to leaked to gauge interest. It's like all those ridiculous stories about Jared Leto's antics on Suicide Squad, it's marketing to help drive up interest this early in the campaign, especially since they're trying to fight the whole "whitewashing" fiasco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Squallege posted:

Where is Batou's Bassett

Stuffed in his coat there, had to use something to make him look bigger/puffier.

• Locked thread