Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

So, some casting news for the next Trek movie was released that is essentially a big plot spoiler....

It's going to star Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth. Time travel father/son Kirk movie!

I like the idea, it could be fun. It suits the Kirk of this series especially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Pretty common for shows they licence from elsewhere, actually. Better Call Saul, Orphan Black and Once Upon A Time all go up like 12 hours after they air in the US over here in the UK.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

thexerox123 posted:

So, some casting news for the next Trek movie was released that is essentially a big plot spoiler....

It's going to star Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth. Time travel father/son Kirk movie!

Star Trek Beyond Daddy Issues hopefully

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

ST4: The Return of the Nexus

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Star Trek and the Last Crusade

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
We named the dog Tiberius.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

thexerox123 posted:

They manage to actually kind of (probably accidentally) explore something as the plot of 1 movie in 4, then. I wish I were a sociologist so I could figure out why western sci-fi has lost all sense of imagination regarding the unknown.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I wish I were a sociologist so I could figure out why western sci-fi has lost all sense of imagination regarding the unknown.

Just look at the Hugo Awards poo poo with all the douchbags who wish sci fi was just pew pew ray guns without any introspection on the human condition or philosophical analysis.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

They manage to actually kind of (probably accidentally) explore something as the plot of 1 movie in 4, then. I wish I were a sociologist so I could figure out why western sci-fi has lost all sense of imagination regarding the unknown.

Plenty of good stuff out there, just nothing you'd hoist your summer tent pole with. The real question is why anyone thought Star Trek of all things should be the next big action movie franchise.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Star Trek: attack of the hot Chrises.

I'm down.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I'd say a mixture of the general cultural swing towards the conservative making an optimistic worldview seem passe or naive, plus general shifting round of trends, plus it's easier now to actually make a cool action special effects movie whereas in the past a ponderous film of ideas would go down easier.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Decided to rewatch VOY: Year of Hell, and god I wish the entire series was like this. Basically, Battlestar Voyager.

Also, we're into season 3 of DS9. My fiancée thinks Garak is the best thing since sliced bread. :3:

Had to go back and rewatch some of the battles because why not, and I always love this particular moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVtj7PauX_I&t=77s

Galaxy class doubleteam. :perfect:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Falken posted:

Had to go back and rewatch some of the battles because why not, and I always love this particular moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVtj7PauX_I&t=77s

Galaxy class doubleteam. :perfect:

I love how Odyssey aside, every time we see a Galaxy in the Dominion war they are gently cruising along kicking arse. Massive, slow, implacable beasts.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jul 19, 2016

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Speaking of rewatching DS9 and plain simple Garak, it never fails to confuse me a little that he's in one episode in series one and we don't see him again till Cardassians. I know he was going to be a one off but they liked what Andrew Robinson did with him so brought him back. But that just makes it even weirder, you have a show set on a cardassian space station and will feature them as antagonists and foils, and you cast a Cardassian character for one episode and that's it, seems like a waste.

Oh and yesterday I watched Profit and Loss, (thank you whoever in this thread reminded me of its name, its a good one) and it occured to me that early Garak episodes had a running theme with him meeting old "friends" from his past and then vaporising them.

MikeJF posted:

I love how Odyssey aside, every time we see a Galaxy in the Dominion war they are gently cruising along kicking arse. Massive, slow, implacable beasts.

The Odyssey was probably practising the other, other Picard manoeuvre, enter hostile territory with your shields lowered as a sign of good faith.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Baka-nin posted:

Speaking of rewatching DS9 and plain simple Garak, it never fails to confuse me a little that he's in one episode in series one and we don't see him again till Cardassians. I know he was going to be a one off but they liked what Andrew Robinson did with him so brought him back. But that just makes it even weirder, you have a show set on a cardassian space station and will feature them as antagonists and foils, and you cast a Cardassian character for one episode and that's it, seems like a waste.

Oh and yesterday I watched Profit and Loss, (thank you whoever in this thread reminded me of its name, its a good one) and it occured to me that early Garak episodes had a running theme with him meeting old "friends" from his past and then vaporising them.

The Odyssey was probably practising the other, other Picard manoeuvre, enter hostile territory with your shields lowered as a sign of good faith.
They had their shields up, but the Jem'Hadar weapons just ignored them entirely regardless of what frequency they set the shield harmonics to.

That combined with the anti-coagulant weapons they employ in small arms combat, it's amazing the Federation didn't have much greater losses than they already did.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I figure all those Galaxies were running like in "Yesterday's Enterprise," if not more so.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
A rather spoilerific TV spot for Beyond:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=derB59I21Fw

I did some digging regarding that spoiler, and it turns out that Krall was once a human member of the USS Franklin during the Xindi War, and the reason he looks the way he does now is because the planet the ship crashed on had technology to dramatically extend a person's life. The side effect being it changes your DNA. Krall was also apparently a MACO prior to Starfleet, and in this universe, multiple ships fought against the Xindi.

The movie also has a 91% on Rotten Tomatoes with nearly 40 reviews, which is an entirely arbitrary number, but is still encouraging.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jul 19, 2016

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

Falken posted:

Also, we're into season 3 of DS9. My fiancée thinks Garak is the best thing since sliced bread. :3:

Baka-nin posted:

My wife insisted that if we were going to start watching DS9, we start with Season 1. About 20 episodes in she couldn't take it anymore, and I couldn't really blame her. My cries of "No, it gets massively better! Trust me! They start writing Bashir a lot better! Avery Brooks takes a while to find his character! All the best characters will be in later seasons! Garak! Weyoun! Martok! WORF, you remember him!" never worked :(

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Gonz posted:

A rather spoilerific TV spot for Beyond:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=derB59I21Fw

I did some digging regarding that spoiler, and it turns out that Krall was once a human member of the USS Franklin during the Xindi War, and the reason he looks the way he does now is because the planet the ship crashed on had technology to dramatically extend a person's life. The side effect being it changes your DNA. Krall was also apparently a MACO prior to Starfleet, and in this universe, multiple ships fought against the Xindi.

The movie also has a 91% on Rotten Tomatoes with nearly 40 reviews, which is an entirely arbitrary number, but is still encouraging.

This is gonna be weird watching it with my family, because I'm the only one who made it through Enterprise as far as I know.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pakpark! Pak! Pak! Pak-pak pak!

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

It's amazing they got off easy with, "sorry i killed ur guys bro, i was hypnotized"

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

CharlieWhiskey posted:

It's amazing they got off easy with, "sorry i killed ur guys bro, i was hypnotized"

To be fair, the way things seem to be in the Star Trek universe, that would be fairly par for the course. I'm sure that planet has had some people get hypnotized by weird space poo poo before.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What could they do? That's like if the US military blew up some boat from the 1700s. Not much to do about that.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

CharlieWhiskey posted:

It wasn't just that, though; the... bad-guy aliens (can't remember their names) also managed to overwrite the Enterprise computer cores and knock out Data's memory too.

And, hell, it's very possible the Lysians had been getting hit with that attack too. It apparently works on humans, Klingons, Bolians, Vulcans, half-Betazeds, and even fuckin' androids.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Suder should have claimed the 'hostile mind alien' defence.

"Yes, I killed all those people, but I was being taken over by a telepathic mind alien at the time."
"Oh, well, you're free to go."

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Mogomra posted:

This is gonna be weird watching it with my family, because I'm the only one who made it through Enterprise as far as I know.

That's way more Enterprise stuff than I thought they'd mention. When Pegg said he was asking Memory Alpha questions about the NX class, I figured we'd get maybe one off-hand comment. Not a huge plot point/twist. Kinda bizarre.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah I'm actually more interested in the film now after reading that.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
drat i wanna click dem spoilers, but nope i can't

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Non-spoiler spoiler chat: they make the movie sound less dumb than motorcycle commercial would suggest, so that's good.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I haven't read them but it sounds like there's lots of Enterprise related content? if so, that's cool. Enterprise was a cool show that people hate and I hope I can enjoy it while everyone else freaks out that Enterprise is the only canon show in the Kelvinverse.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I wonder if the First Contact version of the Warp Test still happened in the Kelvinverse, through time-fuckery. If not, the Borg episode of Enterprise definitely isn't canon in that reality.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I wonder if the First Contact version of the Warp Test still happened in the Kelvinverse, through time-fuckery. If not, the Borg episode of Enterprise definitely isn't canon in that reality.

Huh, that's...that's a really interesting paradox and kind of makes my head hurt. Thank god I believe time is unchangeable and time travel that alters things is sci fi nonsense.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Uh, old Spock exists as a remnant of a nonexistent timeline. So there's that.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

I haven't read them but it sounds like there's lots of Enterprise related content? if so, that's cool. Enterprise was a cool show that people hate and I hope I can enjoy it while everyone else freaks out that Enterprise is the only canon show in the Kelvinverse.

I figure the changes to this timeline rippled out in both directions like waves in a pond so that in the Kelvinverse Enterprise was actually an interesting show instead of a frustratingly lame waste of space

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Uh, old Spock exists as a remnant of a nonexistent timeline. So there's that.

That's not the same in ways I can't begin to explain without going cross eyed.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

schmitty9800 posted:

My wife insisted that if we were going to start watching DS9, we start with Season 1. About 20 episodes in she couldn't take it anymore, and I couldn't really blame her. My cries of "No, it gets massively better! Trust me! They start writing Bashir a lot better! Avery Brooks takes a while to find his character! All the best characters will be in later seasons! Garak! Weyoun! Martok! WORF, you remember him!" never worked :(
Yup, hence why soooo many episodes got skipped out in S1. S2 we watched most of them, and S3 I think we're just going to skip none except for Troi's mother related ones.

Also, I remember the Ferengi episodes involving Quarks mother to be reallllly loving cringy as gently caress. It's ok to skip those right? I don't want to be the one to explain to her "Well, you see... the Ferengi are incredibly misogynistic and don't let their women wear clothes, get education etc etc."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

In my star trek timeline everything ended at ds9. I think there's like some garak book about him helping rebuild cardassia so sure that canon too. But Romulus never blows up, Vulcan is never destroyed. That poo poo's dumb, no thanks, doesn't count.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Garak is currently running the Cardassian Union in a more positive direction in the post-DS9 books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I've got that colour edition of the Star Trek encyclopedia that has info up to the last season of DS9 and nothing afterward, so it's like a perfect snapshot of the whole thing before it started sucking more often than not.