Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
There are some high profile cases of muggers getting caught but they were mostly depressing really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

I found the site you visited for all these testimonials doing a search for crime in rio

What you posted is the equivalent of visiting a burn center in a hospital and arguing that 100% of patients in hospitals are being treated for burns

im gonna win this bet

you gonna hum on my sweaty balls

thats right

the stakes have changed

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The unifying power of the games and the spirit of healthy competition are going to keep everyone safe at the olympics

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
whoops sorry bob costas jumped on my computer

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Madcosby posted:

Reported for account sharing.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Moridin920 posted:

I feel like when Eastern Euros are calling your country a nightmare poo poo is hosed lol

Is slovakia that much of a dangerous place ?
The last time I was a bit concerned was in Bulgaria but we had a local car and were told to yeld to huge black cars when in doubt, also we didn't really look for trouble.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Madcosby posted:

I found the site you visited for all these testimonials doing a search for crime in rio

What you posted is the equivalent of visiting a burn center in a hospital and arguing that 100% of patients in hospitals are being treated for burns

im gonna win this bet

you gonna hum on my sweaty balls

thats right

the stakes have changed

Obv those aren't really evidence of anything, just thought they were amusing anecdotes considering the people going 'I've lived here for X years and poo poo is going cray prolly don't visit.'

unpacked robinhood posted:

Is slovakia that much of a dangerous place ?
The last time I was a bit concerned was in Bulgaria but we had a local car and were told to yeld to huge black cars when in doubt, also we didn't really look for trouble.

It's prolly not, just like Bulgaria isn't really that dangerous (well, stay out of the 'mrusnici' areas lol) as long as you yield to the mobsters running the place.

Still though it takes a lot to rattle someone from that area imo.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
My brother works in Rio. I'm trying to get him to take some vacations during the games. I'm even offering to pay the plane tickets so he can stay here for a while

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost
I imagine that turning the wrong corner in Rio is going to play out like Adventures in Babysitting when the kids run into a Blues club, and they're forced to sing an impromptu song before they're allowed to leave.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Madcosby posted:

No wonder my dogs were freaking out.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
I wonder if the Olympics can beg Disney to dig up this lost classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3rcmrRtnIQ

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Lime Tonics posted:

Portuguese and Brazilian media revealed last month that Ismail Abdul Jabbar al-Brazili, also simply known as "The Brazilian," was attempting to recruit his countrymen for the Islamic State. He was said to be employing several different social media accounts to reel in would-be jihadists, and has said he was recruited by late American jihadist Abu Khalid al-Amriki.
if your terrorist nickname is just "The Brazilian" you better have a good showing this year

Madcosby posted:

To be fair, Rio's been p lovely but a huge tourist attraction for over 30 years. Not everyone that goes there gets hurt

You can go to Rio and have a good time
there are even places in the US that have millions of tourists normally but casual tourists don't go there at certain times of year

you should befriend a travel agent and get them to tell you some stories

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

CrashCat posted:

if your terrorist nickname is just "The Brazilian" you better have a good showing this year

There's already a theme song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gjI67KBbRg

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Russian doping: IOC delays decision on possible blanket ban for Rio Olympics

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/36834090

Probably waiting to see if Russia has moved its nukes in the direction of Rio before taking action?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Viruswithshoes posted:

Russian doping: IOC delays decision on possible blanket ban for Rio Olympics

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/36834090

Probably waiting to see if Russia has moved its nukes in the direction of Rio before taking action?

More like they want to see if the Russians move large blocks of money to IOCs swiss accounts.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Trast posted:

More like they want to see if the Russians move large blocks of money to IOCs swiss accounts.

They're going to sacrifice the curler.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

nerdz posted:

Don't worry, the security forces are training hard for this:

https://www.facebook.com/174363922957784/videos/230408757353300/

lol is this a staged mockery of the police and their training?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Is miss Bum Bum Ok?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Madcosby posted:

I'm just saying that obviously 100% of tourists this summer in Rio are not going to get mugged, killed, or even bumbummed

If you have a friend or someone going to RIo, I wouldnt talk them out of it, I'd just drop a "be safe"

If I had to put a percentage on it, I'd say by the end of the olympics 1% of the tourists will have experienced a bad time(be a victim of something). That's a large percentage, but nowhere near the hellscape I would convince someone to walk away from

Brazil wasn't also in rapid decline a few years ago. Right after they got the bid for 2016 they were still riding a strong economy, then it tanked.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Something something journalistic fraud. This one I saw coming.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapo...n/#1730e6791108

Petrobras might not be around in name much longer too.

"In the United States alone, there are 27 cases against Petrobras. These cases, represented by six law firms, involve hundreds of institutional investors here that are taking on Petrobras. For much of the last 12 years, Petrobras was run as an ATM machine for the ruling Workers’ Party and its allies in the Democratic Movement Party and others down the food chain. Roughly $14 billion was ransacked from the company, though that number is being disputed by legal teams from New York to Rio de Janeiro.

In early July, Petrobras lawyers appealed a September 19th case in New York on a technicality. Lead counsel in the case from the Pomerantz law firm said the company is simply stalling. It has a lot to hide. And, literally, is running out of places to hide it."

The closer the Olympics get, the better the stories of corruption and what not, start to get as well. They should cash in on this by having a show on HBO or even A&E.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Lime Tonics posted:

Something something journalistic fraud. This one I saw coming.

Petrobras might not be around in name much longer too.

"In the United States alone, there are 27 cases against Petrobras. These cases, represented by six law firms, involve hundreds of institutional investors here that are taking on Petrobras. For much of the last 12 years, Petrobras was run as an ATM machine for the ruling Workers’ Party and its allies in the Democratic Movement Party and others down the food chain. Roughly $14 billion was ransacked from the company, though that number is being disputed by legal teams from New York to Rio de Janeiro.

In early July, Petrobras lawyers appealed a September 19th case in New York on a technicality. Lead counsel in the case from the Pomerantz law firm said the company is simply stalling. It has a lot to hide. And, literally, is running out of places to hide it."

The closer the Olympics get, the better the stories of corruption and what not, start to get as well. They should cash in on this by having a show on HBO or even A&E.

They need to make elite squad 3 where Wagner Moura knocks out the brazilian president's teeth after they try to kill his son again.

e: Seriously if you haven't seen elite squad 1 + 2, check it out. its p brutal.

Crash74 fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 19, 2016

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

CrashCat posted:

He's actually not from Brazil and has never been there, he got that nickname because of how he keeps his balls so very smooth.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Zo posted:

Oh poo poo zika is now transferable through new, unknown means!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-36833321

Uh huh. Unknown means. Like those "my daughter got knocked up by sperm in a swimming pool" tales.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110413224211AA5tMOx

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 20, 2016

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Chichevache posted:

They're going to sacrifice the curler.

Hell, that's a tough one to decipher given it is Russia. Or would they toss him under the bus? Both could have literal meanings.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I just learned from reading about Brazilian bodybuilders and their synthol use that beauty pageant contestants like Miss Bumbum use an injectable substance called hydrogel to set those great big butts and thighs.

Sometimes it goes wrong.
:nws: for infected thighs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tom-thighs.html

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Say Nothing posted:

I just learned from reading about Brazilian bodybuilders and their synthol use that beauty pageant contestants like Miss Bumbum use an injectable substance called hydrogel to set those great big butts and thighs.

Sometimes it goes wrong.

after almost dying she converted to christianity and is now a preacher so everything worked out i guess??????

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

all natural miss bum bum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKMnhvaBMqI

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

alphabettitouretti posted:

Uh huh. Unknown means. Like those "my daughter got knocked up by sperm in a swimming pool" tales.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110413224211AA5tMOx

I'm not sure what's better - A) the 13 year old girl thought she could claim pool pregnancy the week after the vacation or B) The mom bought it well enough that she had to go to the internet.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Say Nothing posted:

Sometimes it goes wrong.

I'm the carefully applied face makeup for the hospital gore pic.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

God drat that Hot Dad song is stuck in my head still

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Otisburg posted:

I'm the carefully applied face makeup for the hospital gore pic.

Would if she said yes

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

counterfeitsaint posted:

He's actually not from Brazil and has never been there, he got that nickname because of how he keeps his balls so very smooth.
if they could invent an attack that waxed hundreds of people simultaneously, we would cave to the terrorists' demands immediately

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

they did cut off that 1 guy's balls in that French nightclub attack, maybe they're trying to perfect the technique and had a rough first outing

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Darth123123 posted:

Would if she said yes

be sure to pull some of the gauze out first :grin:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Yet I'm so lost right now. My daughter is only 13. She going to be a young mom. And blow her whole life away. I'm going to allow her to keep the baby, even tho she is just a baby her self. Because I don't believe in killing babies or giving them away. ...God gave you a gift so you must take care of it.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

:suicide:

I mean alright don't abort I guess but not even adoption??? Why tank your daughter's entire life and gently caress up the kid's life because of one dumbass decision made at 13?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Just saw a Facebook post from this girl I know who was all hype about her tickets to Rio. I feel like it's impossible to not have heard of how horrible an idea that was so I don't know how you can tell the world you have such a bad idea.

I wonder if I'll ever see her alive again...

You know millions of people live in Rio right? she's not going to arrive in rio and immediately die

Otisburg posted:

they did cut off that 1 guy's balls in that French nightclub attack, maybe they're trying to perfect the technique and had a rough first outing

That was denied.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Kurtofan posted:

You know millions of people live in Rio right?

if you can call it living

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Moridin920 posted:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

:suicide:

I mean alright don't abort I guess but not even adoption??? Why tank your daughter's entire life and gently caress up the kid's life because of one dumbass decision made at 13?
Having a daughter at 13 doesn't means her life is totally hosed. By the time her daughter is 16 and ready to move out of the house shes only going to be 30 and maybe even a grandmother and get that Xbox Live achievement over with early.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I mean it's not a guarantee I suppose, just an extreme statistical likelihood. Also statistically likely: that 13 year old is going to continue making bad life choices.

Best case scenario the mom just raises the grandkid as her own kid and the 13 year old has a wake up call and cleans up her act, then sure it could work out fine. Just not very likely.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Kurtofan posted:

That was denied.

Lol yeah remember when various EU governments denied that rape gangs were happening and, well, oops

• Locked thread