Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Dirk Pitt posted:

Is there a reason to join every war an ally invites me to? Castile and therefore I just got my poo poo pushed in by Aragon and the French.

Declining a call to arms will break the alliance and give you a large opinion and trust penalty with your former ally. You'll also lose some prestige.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

double nine posted:

I wasn't paying attention for a little while and the nobility have seized power from my bishopric - is this reversible and if so, how?

There's a decision to curb their power, I think you need to wait a minimum of 5 years, and their influence must be under 80.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

There's a decision to curb their power, I think you need to wait a minimum of 5 years, and their influence must be under 80.

eh, not really what I'm asking. They seized power and turned my bishopric into a duchy. Kind of want to go back to being a bishop.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Let the clergy seize power.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

Declining a call to arms will break the alliance and give you a large opinion and trust penalty with your former ally. You'll also lose some prestige.

You'll also lose a big chunk of power projection if they were calling you into war against one of your rivals.

Speaking of CTA, I think it's really dumb that you can't call an ally if they'll refuse.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I'm thinking about doing a Khmer game and was reading the wiki article on them. In there the advice given- which I suspect is common for a lot of smallish non-western nations- is:

quote:

early Westernisation will prepare the player for any European colonizers who will eventually arrive. Taking Exploration as the 1st or 2nd idea will allow the player to colonize South Africa and reach the European colonizers.

I'm not very god at EU4 so I'm not sure I understand. If I set up a colony in Africa, even if I end up next to a Euro colony I wouldn't be able to westernize because it'd be a trade company, right? So is the strategy to even further leapfrog around Africa and in to north Africa or something to find a little wedge where I can camp next to someone? Or something else I'm missing? Thanks in advance :)

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Fister Roboto posted:

You'll also lose a big chunk of power projection if they were calling you into war against one of your rivals.

Speaking of CTA, I think it's really dumb that you can't call an ally if they'll refuse.

It could probably be abused to get out of inconvenient alliances scot-free through bullshit CTAs, saddling the other guy with all the penalties.

In any case, according to the wiki, the game handles CTAs "fairly" - i.e. the AI will only call you into a war if an AI running your country would have accepted.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

It could probably be abused to get out of inconvenient alliances scot-free through bullshit CTAs, saddling the other guy with all the penalties.

In any case, according to the wiki, the game handles CTAs "fairly" - i.e. the AI will only call you into a war if an AI running your country would have accepted.

Yep there used to be several starts that involved using the declined cta cb to vassalize people. Byzantium was probably the one that got it changed

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I'm not very god at EU4 so I'm not sure I understand. If I set up a colony in Africa, even if I end up next to a Euro colony I wouldn't be able to westernize because it'd be a trade company, right? So is the strategy to even further leapfrog around Africa and in to north Africa or something to find a little wedge where I can camp next to someone? Or something else I'm missing? Thanks in advance :)

When the 1.16 patch was released the AI would turn all its African provinces into states instead of trade companies so you could indeed westernize off African colonies. Unless there's a trick I'm missing in all patches before and after 1.16 Africa is just a stepping stone to South America. Grabbing a province next to a western colonial nation will allow you to westernize. If you start in the far east crossing the Bering Strait and working your way down the American west coast could be faster.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Drakhoran posted:

When the 1.16 patch was released the AI would turn all its African provinces into states instead of trade companies so you could indeed westernize off African colonies. Unless there's a trick I'm missing in all patches before and after 1.16 Africa is just a stepping stone to South America. Grabbing a province next to a western colonial nation will allow you to westernize. If you start in the far east crossing the Bering Strait and working your way down the American west coast could be faster.

I didn't even think of jumping to America. Perfect.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

I didn't even think of jumping to America. Perfect.

As a nation with Exploration you can basically go anywhere with a little effort other than Europe, which you generally have to break into by beating up a colonial nation and taking one of their European provinces.

I don't remember if it's still the case but it used to be that you can't westernize off of actual colonial nations, just colonies that are still directly owned; generally you can find a colony to settle next to that is going to remain directly owned for a while, though, especially since Castile likes to split colonization efforts quite thin.

Also I think the guide mentions South Africa to emphasize that you ought to fully colonize it. It has a good chance of being full of valuable trade goods and is an ideal point to collect all of the trade of Asia and east Africa. West Africa is even better, of course, since it also receives American trade, but is much more of a long-term project than the South African coastline.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 17, 2016

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

You can just declare war and take one of their colonies while they're distracted

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

When an AI colony finishes, it won't join a trade company until the first day of the following month. But this can be hard to pull off, you basically need to wait for a western power to start building a colony next to one of your completed colonies, and then you need to wait for that narrow window of time.

Another strategy is to try and give the AI a province that isn't eligible to join a trade company; for instance, in West Africa it's only the coastal provinces that are eligible to join a trade company. So you could try selling them a non-coastal province next to a province that you own. Then you can be sure that you'll have a non-trade company province next to you.
This map has all of the trade company provinces:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=462186341

Just getting a province next to any colonial nation might be easier, though

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Jazerus posted:

As a nation with Exploration you can basically go anywhere with a little effort other than Europe, which you generally have to break into by beating up a colonial nation and taking one of their European provinces.

I don't remember if it's still the case but it used to be that you can't westernize off of actual colonial nations, just colonies that are still directly owned; generally you can find a colony to settle next to that is going to remain directly owned for a while, though, especially since Castile likes to split colonization efforts quite thin.

Also I think the guide mentions South Africa to emphasize that you ought to fully colonize it. It has a good chance of being full of valuable trade goods and is an ideal point to collect all of the trade of Asia and east Africa. West Africa is even better, of course, since it also receives American trade, but is much more of a long-term project than the South African coastline.

Other way around. You can't Westernize off of colonies, because they don't have Western tech cores. But you can Westernize off of colonial nations, or finished colonies (that aren't in Trade companies).

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Other way around. You can't Westernize off of colonies, because they don't have Western tech cores. But you can Westernize off of colonial nations, or finished colonies (that aren't in Trade companies).

Yeah, I meant finished colonies, not still-developing ones. Good to know you don't have to worry about the neighboring colony becoming part of a colonial nation anymore though.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

You know the more I play around with estates the less I like them. Sure the bonuses are potent if well-handled but I just don't care for the hassle every time a class gets uppity.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

double nine posted:

You know the more I play around with estates the less I like them. Sure the bonuses are potent if well-handled but I just don't care for the hassle every time a class gets uppity.

Don't get to that point, then? If you don't go for the bonuses then there's no chance that the faction-related disasters will ever hit

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

double nine posted:

Well handled is the key . Just don't push so hard, only grab the bonuses when they are already really happy. It's not something you'll be constantly grabbing, but it's a nice bonus once in a while.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I don't understand how you could ever have one of the estate disasters actually happen without actively trying to for it. I take the monarch points every time they're up and I've gone over 80% a few times sure, but it always drops off again before the disaster fires. Even if it doesn't go below 80% on its own, you can always just revoke a few provinces. It'll piss them off and you'll probably have a rebellion or two, but they'll get over it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

I don't understand how you could ever have one of the estate disasters actually happen without actively trying to for it. I take the monarch points every time they're up and I've gone over 80% a few times sure, but it always drops off again before the disaster fires. Even if it doesn't go below 80% on its own, you can always just revoke a few provinces. It'll piss them off and you'll probably have a rebellion or two, but they'll get over it.

It can happen if you've taken a couple of the +Influence options in the Estate menu to push yourself into the 70 regime and then either A) forgot that there was a -Influence event that's going to expire soon or B) a +influence event triggers. Or you can be in the 60 Influence regime and then get A and B simultaneously. The timing has to be really really bad or you have to be really really greedy (taking all of the +influence options)

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I noticed that estates give tax/trade/mans bonuses to provinces, is it worth min-maxing those? (Right now I usually don't mess with them except to swap the church estate lands to wherever I've most recently conquered for the unrest bonus)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Elotana posted:

I noticed that estates give tax/trade/mans bonuses to provinces, is it worth min-maxing those? (Right now I usually don't mess with them except to swap the church estate lands to wherever I've most recently conquered for the unrest bonus)

It depends on whether you feel like going through the extra effort. Personally, yes, it's totally worth not only getting those nice bonuses but also eliminating the autonomy penalty for either tax, trade, or manpower by placing estates in my newer provinces.

This is also why I keep my estates at 50%+ influence; the loyalty bonus goes up when their influence is in this range.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Elotana posted:

As has been mentioned, always put the merchant estate on centre of trade/estuary provinces... Unless you're tiny and this might make them too powerful.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Help... how do I break the super Alliance of Commonwealth-Scandinavia-Brandenberg-Tuscany-Portugal? The only allies I have are Austria, Trebizond and Muscovy. Muscovy is a walking corpse and I'm so far behind in tech I may be a loving tribal nation compared to the Robocop soldiers wielded by Sweden and Brandenberg. I'm only going for the Basileus achievement here. I need to take Trebizond, Silistria, Cyprus, Theodoro and Caffa.

It's been an astonishingly frustratingly bad game. Multiple Enrico grade rulers one after another. Inflation out of control from too many loans and corruption through the roof for having so many islamic provinces. Shitloads of adm lost to inflation events and other bad rolls. My best "ruler" for the adm stat was a regency council that had 5 and was in power for 10 years. Every other ruler had 0 or 1. I've finally stabilized the country and am getting poo poo on track but this super Alliance is going to end the game. No other powers will align with me. I just finally managed to break up the Mamluk-Tunis-Hejaz-Tabaristan super Alliance in a recent war so I have a viable path for expansion once again. I've essentially stagnated for about 75 years.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Don't give up hope, you have over 100 years to expand south and east and hopefully get up to date on tech and have that uber alliance block break up, before you actually need to go and beat them up.

Getting ratfucked on admin for a whole game is extremely rough though especially as Byz.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Are they all allied to one another? The typical method is just to attack one who's only allied to one of the others to start breaking allies away from your real target. Or attack some minor ally of Trebizond who is only allied to Trebizond, etc.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

PittTheElder posted:

Are they all allied to one another? The typical method is just to attack one who's only allied to one of the others to start breaking allies away from your real target. Or attack some minor ally of Trebizond who is only allied to Trebizond, etc.

All to eachother. I've never seen this level of fuckery before.

RabidWeasel posted:

Don't give up hope, you have over 100 years to expand south and east and hopefully get up to date on tech and have that uber alliance block break up, before you actually need to go and beat them up.

Getting ratfucked on admin for a whole game is extremely rough though especially as Byz.

I just tried to 1v1 Mamluks and got lit the gently caress up. I've been Western since the late 1400s as I was getting ratfucked so hard so that the Mamluks also Westernized.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

so err ... France just got PU'd under Austria. Austria already integrated hungary and was pushing into Ottoman territory. The relationship appears to be stable. It is 1554 Help.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

double nine posted:

so err ... France just got PU'd under Austria. Austria already integrated hungary and was pushing into Ottoman territory. The relationship appears to be stable. It is 1554 Help.

You're part of the HRE right? I wonder what happens when an AI super Austria unifies the Empire while the player is part of it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Elman posted:

You're part of the HRE right? I wonder what happens when an AI super Austria unifies the Empire while the player is part of it.

Bohemia is HRE. Small mercies I guess.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

YouTuber posted:

All to eachother. I've never seen this level of fuckery before.

I just tried to 1v1 Mamluks and got lit the gently caress up. I've been Western since the late 1400s as I was getting ratfucked so hard so that the Mamluks also Westernized.

If you're really that far behind on tech and also don't really have any room to expand then yeah you're screwed, I'd probably restart and focus harder on going East earlier, maybe keep some Muslim vassals for a while just to get territory under your control while avoiding huge corruption issues?

Playing Byz is basically like playing the OE with a huge handicap at the start so the most important things after escaping from the OE threat are keeping the European front secure and thrashing all the big boys between you and India before they get a chance to get strong.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Is there any way to influence the AI to stop craving some particular provinces, even temporarily?
I want to bring England into our gently caress France mega coalition, but my diplomacy attempts are hobbled by the fact that they really want my lovely North Sea islands.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

Is there any way to influence the AI to stop craving some particular provinces, even temporarily?
I want to bring England into our gently caress France mega coalition, but my diplomacy attempts are hobbled by the fact that they really want my lovely North Sea islands.

You could gift it or sell it to them

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Just encountered some bullshit. I am playing as Oman and trying to keep the Ottomans (my ally) busy so that they don't just eat everything by preempting wars they would normally declare then just giving them the minimum, and so that I can keep them small enough to deal with later. I was planning to feed them Georgia which they considered vital interest at the start of the war...and right before I went to declare peace they transferred all their sieged Georgian land and didn't want it at all when I switched it back. Seems like something you shouldn't be able to change until at peace, like the player. Now I have to give them a border with me if I don't want to take a trust hit.

edit: Maybe I'll hold out and see if they will go for a separate peace...

edit2: Just noticed something else, you can declare war using the humiliate rival CB and still promise allies land to get them to join in the war. Seems like a conflict, lol.

edit3: Edit2 is amazing. I can declare war with the humiliate CB, promise the Ottomans territory, then just use the show strength peace option(+20 prestige, +100 each monarch point +30 power projection, costs 100 warscore) and it even gives me +1 trust with the Ottomans. Lmao. I can nullify their expansion into Levant and anywhere else around me because Mamluks and QQ are my rivals. So great.

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 20, 2016

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

So I just started playing again, having last played before the Cossacks release. I'm Brandenburg, and I fabbed a claim and declared on a nearby OPM and crushed them in war. Once it was over, though, I wasn't able to annex them "cede province" wasn't an option for me. I ended up forcing it to be my vassal figuring I could deal with it later.

What's going on here? What's the point of fabricating a claim if you can't take the place? My wargoal was "Annex Anhalt" but I wasn't actually able to do that.

Edit: I'm a dope, my wargoal was "Take Capital Anhalt"; I must have fatfingered another wargoal.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 21, 2016

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

JerikTelorian posted:

So I just started playing again, having last played before the Cossacks release. I'm Brandenburg, and I fabbed a claim and declared on a nearby OPM and crushed them in war. Once it was over, though, I wasn't able to annex them "cede province" wasn't an option for me. I ended up forcing it to be my vassal figuring I could deal with it later.

What's going on here? What's the point of fabricating a claim if you can't take the place? My wargoal was "Annex Anhalt" but I wasn't actually able to do that.

Edit: I'm a dope, my wargoal was "Take Capital Anhalt"; I must have fatfingered another wargoal.

Were they your rival? If so then you probably accidently used the Humiliate Rival CB.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Can anyone explain this to me?

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Maybe there's a malus to going to war if they have a diplomatic ruler and it isn't shown? That's all I can think of.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gorelab posted:

Were they your rival? If so then you probably accidently used the Humiliate Rival CB.

I really wish that wasn't the default CB against rivals. I've made that same mistake too many times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

I really wish that wasn't the default CB against rivals. I've made that same mistake too many times.

"Send a messenger. I demand total annexation!!"
"Sire...it appears we might have filed the wrong paperwork..."

• Locked thread