Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

JHVH-1 posted:

Financially I have disposable income being a single guy with no kids in his late 30s.

Then go nuts and and leave the used bikes for the rest of us, your wallet can take the hit.

The only major suggestions from me would always be ABS to start with, and something reliable so you don't have to keep waiting for the mechanic to get you back on the road. I don't know poo poo about Guzzis, but I would hope that something so expensive would be reliable (it won't be, will it?). Have fun and take lots of pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
So what bikes should I be keeping my eye out for if i want something cheap as my first 'real' bike?

I've been riding my 125 for almost the last year and want to do my DAS in a month or two, which will let me ride whatever I want. I'd probably mainly use the bike for actually riding with some commuting, something to get onto the motorways and go on adventures.

SV? Fazer? Bandit? I really have no idea what to look for, or what years and mileages i should stay the gently caress away from when looking for a cheap starter bike.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Get a ZZR600E so we can hang out with Angrymog and bitch about our distressingly dated yet simultaneously excellent rides :v:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
poo poo, so, uh, someone tell me about this Yamaha SCR950. Tell me why it's not good.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

That fuel tank is ridiculously small.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
isn't it just a prettied up Bolt? they're pretty heavy. i'd rather get an XSR900

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Which also has a stupidly small tank, though not as small as the SCR.

I don't know what's up with Yamaha, but they've come out with a couple of neat bikes recently but ruined it by putting tiny tanks on them so you have to stop all the time. Blargh.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Carth Dookie posted:

Which also has a stupidly small tank, though not as small as the SCR.

I don't know what's up with Yamaha, but they've come out with a couple of neat bikes recently but ruined it by putting tiny tanks on them so you have to stop all the time. Blargh.

I did 150 miles on my FZ 07 tank before the reserve light started blinking this weekend. How many miles do normal bikes get per tank?

My last bike, a 4 cylinder honda with a 3.3 gal tank, usually ran about 90 miles before reserve

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

A MIRACLE posted:

I did 150 miles on my FZ 07 tank before the reserve light started blinking this weekend. How many miles do normal bikes get per tank?

My f4i gets 130-160ish.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

My Hawk GTs have thimble-like 3 gallon tanks, so the range is only about 120 miles. There are places in the U.S. (Nevada, Utah) where that will not get you from one station to the next.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Gorson posted:

My Hawk GTs have thimble-like 3 gallon tanks, so the range is only about 120 miles. There are places in the U.S. (Nevada, Utah) where that will not get you from one station to the next.

Yeah, but they're soo skinny and nimble. Worth it IMO. If you really need the extra range, strap 2 gallons to the pillion.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, but they're soo skinny and nimble. Worth it IMO. If you really need the extra range, strap 2 gallons to the pillion.

For sure. I'm totally OK with the trade-off. I don't do much long distance and if I did I'd get a VFR or something.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I work at one of those middle of nowhere places in Nevada, so fuel range is a big deal to me. When I had the 500X I'd be filling up every day, and most guys out here have modified whatever they ride with big capacity desert tanks.

Like, nobody makes a cheap, reliable, dirt capable, long distance bike that can also carve up twisty paved mountain roads and I don't get it why can't I just have a unicorn?

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Renaissance Robot posted:

Get a ZZR600E so we can hang out with Angrymog and bitch about our distressingly dated yet simultaneously excellent rides :v:

There actually seems a couple decently priced down here, what are they like as bikes though?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Keket posted:

There actually seems a couple decently priced down here, what are they like as bikes though?

Whatever bike you get, you need to make sure we can run combat medic rescue missions from it.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

A MIRACLE posted:

My last bike, a 4 cylinder honda with a 3.3 gal tank, usually ran about 90 miles before reserve

I freely admit that I'm still twitching from the 90 mile commuter range of my old thirsty Honda and therefore am biased against modern large displacement bikes with small tanks even if they have decent ranges due to fuel injection and other efficiency measures.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Like, nobody makes a cheap, reliable, dirt capable, long distance bike that can also carve up twisty paved mountain roads and I don't get it why can't I just have a unicorn?

That's a Ulysses, if you qualify "reliable" as "will probably get you there even if it scares you the whole way"

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Keket posted:

I was writing up a big post but then I found this review from a more experienced UK rider that sums it up well.

tl;dr: there are better bikes with a similar profile, but they're all significantly pricier. If you'd like to spend as little as possible it's an excellent first 600.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Gorson posted:

For sure. I'm totally OK with the trade-off. I don't do much long distance and if I did I'd get a VFR or something.

They don't go much further. If you do 200 miles you're gonna be running on fumes.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I really want a new supernaked bike, and I'm going to make my old tuono into a track bike since I want something brand new I wont have to work on for the street. I really love the way the new mt10/fz10 looks, but for roughly the same price I can get an S1000R or 1290 SDR....

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Voltage posted:

I really want a new supernaked bike, and I'm going to make my old tuono into a track bike since I want something brand new I wont have to work on for the street. I really love the way the new mt10/fz10 looks, but for roughly the same price I can get an S1000R or 1290 SDR....

Fortunately for you it's the same as the RSV. Swap the top triple, clipons, and maybe the throttle cable / front brake lines.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Mother of God.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201627684697

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Yes, Mother of God, exactly the person you're going to meet if you ride that... thing.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

It's so hilariously bad. The pipe in place of a shock, the frame cobbled together, the rust everywhere, the surrealist-painter ergonomics, the cables leading to nowhere, the 3" crack in the front tire.....

That said if it had a title (it doesn't, of course) I'd give him :20bux: for it.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Is that lower frame 2 broomsticks tied together

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It looks like only an orangutan could ride it :pwn:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

it says it was built by a helicopter mechanic and, yeah, that sounds like about the amount of technical expertise you'd need to keep that thing running

i love it though. chops are the most fun when they're weird art garbage built cheaply, and that hits all of those to a T

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Recognizing that the engine there is off a CB360, I was able to approximate the scale and stick a guy from Cycle-Ergo on it.

Here's your body position if you are 6 feet tall

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Sagebrush posted:

Recognizing that the engine there is off a CB360, I was able to approximate the scale and stick a guy from Cycle-Ergo on it.

I'm sure your knee right on top of the not-hot turbo is not a problem.

Also I would ride it up and down the street once. A little terror is good for you

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
So your knee has to phase through the turbo unit?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

This is hilarious. It looks like a pretty decent place to take a nap.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/mcy/5694143071.html

Found this looking for a beater sv to make into a scrambler or otherwise mess with. I should absolutely not entertain this $1000 salvage title SV1000, right?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'd want to make sure it has a title and such and look for any potential damage to the forks - they're pretty wimpy on those and should be a good indicator of if the crash was really bad. Might show up with $800, just to try and get a better deal.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Thank you, I'll inquire on that route. Getting a salvaged bike to rebuilt status so that you can licence it seems like an arduous process, though, now that I'm looking into it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Coydog posted:

Thank you, I'll inquire on that route. Getting a salvaged bike to rebuilt status so that you can licence it seems like an arduous process, though, now that I'm looking into it.

Must depend on the state. I had a 96 240SX get totalled in a hit and run while parked in a parking lot. Insurance paid out more than I originally paid for the car, including buyback.
Apparently the insurance company is supposed to take your plates when this happens, but whatever. I took it straight to the DMV, paid for the inspection, and got the rebuilt title / new plate that day.

And that was how I afforded my first bike, a 2001 Honda CBR600F4i.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 22, 2016

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
How much of a mistake is it to pursue an already rebuilt title bike?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Ymmv, but I've had a rebuilt miata which ended up being the most reliable car I've ever had, and my Tuono is rebuilt also, no issues at all. If you can get something really dirt cheap, like a $1000 sv1000, why the heck not.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
I'm about to post my fzr600 for sale. If anybody is interested in or around Houston let me know. It has a Penske double clicker in the back, emulators in the front, been ridden every week since I bought it and is the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. That said, it's not the prettiest thing out there. Goon price is $2200 and it comes with track plastics (from the English version of the FZR which has a slightly different frame), spare tank cover, a giant bin of parts, track wheels, street plastics, and a rear stand. Bike has 34k miles? Jetted for the Vance and Hines slip on. I swapped to gold dots from a YZF including master cylinder. The rear is a 17 inch (!) so you can run normal tires!

This will be my third Craigslist sale. Last time I got sued because the guy who bought the bike Tboned a BMW without insurance or registration (or a plate) and said he borrowed the bike from me.

Hoping for the best.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

XYLOPAGUS posted:

This will be my third Craigslist sale. Last time I got sued because the guy who bought the bike Tboned a BMW without insurance or registration (or a plate) and said he borrowed the bike from me.

:catstare:

That's insane. The good news is that almost every other craigslist deal you do has got to be better than that one. Hopefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Hahahahahaha, that's great. Mind sharing how that turned out? I can't imagine it was more than "Yeah nah here's the bill of sale, get hosed bucko."