Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
I watched Renegades.
What happened, Walter Koenig?
You used to be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

kafziel posted:

I watched Renegades.
What happened, Walter Koenig?
You used to be cool.

Renegade regret
Bablyon Five money gone
I needed the pay

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
As far as I'm concerned, you're all winners. I might just call this whole thing off!

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Can we please have a haiku competition where the subject must be Mr. Yelchin or Chekov

I once played Chekov
But then I left the brake off
Dead like Koenig's son

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope

Trast posted:

I once played Chekov
Dead like Koenig's son

Holy poo poo.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Trast posted:

I once played Chekov
Dead like Koenig's son

:shobon:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Technical Analysis posted:

A Nuclear Wessel
He searches Alameda
Behold, Enterprise

I like this one a lot.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
These are very, very good. Was thinking of doing this haiku contest on the forums, but the pubbies probably wouldn't match these, especially not Trast's.

Apologies to everyone who received the "thanks for the donation" mail from me in-game. For some reason, when I send something to a player whose mailbox is full, my message automatically goes to everyone in my fleet. That being said, I do appreciate all the donations received. Thanks!

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

DonDoodles posted:

These are very, very good. Was thinking of doing this haiku contest on the forums, but the pubbies probably wouldn't match these, especially not Trast's.

Apologies to everyone who received the "thanks for the donation" mail from me in-game. For some reason, when I send something to a player whose mailbox is full, my message automatically goes to everyone in my fleet. That being said, I do appreciate all the donations received. Thanks!

Haha I had wondered about that.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
doing gods work i will find something to donate as a prize

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

DonDoodles posted:

Since I'm currently not playing this terrible game I would appreciate if one of you would read my haiku in front of as many pubbies as possible.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

Trast posted:

Since I'm currently not playing this terrible game I would appreciate if one of you would read my haiku in front of as many pubbies as possible.

Closing ceremony material.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

DonDoodles posted:

Closing ceremony material.

God I miss playing STO with you beautiful bastards.

Please take as many screen shots as possible.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Their superstitions
and their cries for sympathy
Yes I hated them

Their stupid earrings
Their treachery and their lies
Should've killed them all

Mondian fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 19, 2016

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

captains log supplemental
teleporter safety protocols broke
poor chekov, will be missed

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

CappyBottoms posted:

God I miss playing STO with you beautiful bastards.

Please take as many screen shots as possible.

Just for you, my man.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Mondian posted:

Their superstitions
and their cries for sympathy
Yes I hated them

Their stupid earrings
Their treachery and their lies
Should've killed them all

Dukat on Victory:
"Force them to see your greatness;
then you can kill them."

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Anton Yelchin died
Yet somehow the real victim
Was poor Cassandra

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
I haven't really played in more than a year, how do you make space money in 2016?

My TOS captain is stuck in a sovereign and it's the worst.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
So Cassandra found out about our Memorial Celebration and announced that they are NO LONGER CANCELLING their Anton Yelchin memorial on the same day.

What's more: we are now officially BANNED from their memorial.

quote:

[7/19 12:00] [Zone #9] Cassandra Saturn@rcassandrasaturn: okay, you know, Starfleet Dental has no place in my life. you all are banned from attending memorial event
[7/19 12:00] [Zone #30] Druk@repetitiveepic: but we are hosting the memorial event...
[7/19 12:01] [Zone #9] Cassandra Saturn@rcassandrasaturn: i will not allow a member of SFD to enter the event

Also:

quote:

[7/18 11:48] [Zone #9] Cassandra Saturn@rcassandrasaturn: ATTENTION looking for three players to become my co-fleet leaders of Slippery When Wet. PM me for details

Also:

The following quote is almost 100% a mistell, as there was no one talking to Cassandra in zone at the time, and this popped out of nowhere:

quote:

[7/18 11:44] [Zone #9] Cassandra Saturn@rcassandrasaturn: no. except masturbating and playing with my bewbs

I want to end on a really powerful except from Cassandra Saturn on Hilary Duff:

quote:

Brandon Went To Hilary's Concert, On Day Of September 9th 2004.
He Was Impressed By Hilary's Singing.
He Learned To Hear Vibrations In The Air During His Early Life.
So He Knew Which Vibrations Came From, Even Can Hear Very Loud Noises Like Jet Engines.
Brandon Loved Hilary's Smoothing Voice As She Sang.
At End Of Her Show, Brandon Sat Here Outside Of The Gates.
Brandon Looks on, Concerned For Her Life.

DonDoodles fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jul 19, 2016

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Halman posted:

I haven't really played in more than a year, how do you make space money in 2016?

You can claim any event ship in the event reputation store, and fly half of them at 40. There's no need to suffer. Well, more than usual.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
dick dick dick dick dick
butt butt butt butt butt butt butt
dick dick dick dick dick

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

Dely Apple posted:

You can claim any event ship in the event reputation store, and fly half of them at 40. There's no need to suffer. Well, more than usual.

I could if I'd been playing when any of those events were up :(

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

Morglon posted:

dick dick dick dick dick
butt butt butt butt butt butt butt
dick dick dick dick dick
:golfclap:

DonDoodles posted:

So Cassandra found out about our Memorial Celebration and announced that they are NO LONGER CANCELLING their Anton Yelchin memorial on the same day.
They claim it was never "cancelled" just "called off".

I can't see anything posted regarding updated time and place, so I assume the previous plan still holds true.

quote:

MEMORIAL:
STARFLEET ACADEMY
DRESS CODE:
Official color has to be Grey.
secondary choice of Dress Uniform must be black/Grey at least.
DATE:
JULY 21st 2016
TIME:
Memorial will commerce at 4 PM [1600 GMT] (early goers are welcome)
SPEAKERS:
Cassandra Saturn (i will be first to speak) and Players who want to talk about Anton. (just few short words will be ok)
PUBLIC/PRIVATE:
PUBLIC
RULES:
no disco balls, trolling, flamebaiting or disrespecting players or Anton Yelchin.
please be civil, respectful of players and Anton Yelchin.
NOTES:
Memorial must be done in very constructive and nice manner.
It'll probably be the case that they'll show up at a random time, take a couple of selfies and then spend a couple of days in a self-congratulatory fervor talking about what a good person they were for doing so.

Halman posted:

I could if I'd been playing when any of those events were up :(
Most lock box ships (search for "Special Requisition Pack" on the exchange) can be used at 40 and there should be a couple of cheap rare quality ones on the exchange.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Halman posted:

There's a combination of putting some real money in to get a good start (gotta have money to make money) and watching the exchange like a supersperg. I made about 65 mil EC over the weekend just buying and selling a kelvin cruiser back and forth. I got the seed money selling keys I bought with a years worth of untouched lifetime stipends, sold the keys to make EC. I started watching Kelvin prices last week, by thursday/friday I'd noticed them starting to stabilize at about 390 mil. I would then wait for a ship to be offered for less than 390, buy it and relist it at 390. I flipped about 3 ships this way and got about 65 mil out of it until the prices fell out around sunday. There are many different weapons, consoles and objects you can play this game with but frankly I dont pay enough attention to give any good tips on this. It often involves total market control, find a thing people want, have enough EC to buy out the exchange, and now you can relist at any price you like as you control the market on said item, but again, this is often going to take a lot of upfront to become a player in.

It seems to my slightly behind the times self that most of the old tricks to get a decent starting amount are long gone, there was contra farming npc's, those are out, contra farming through doffs is out if my next paragraph comes to pass, there is the current risa event but those items will take lots of time and effort to get together and then itll be months before those start to become higher value on the exchange, there were some user made missions for awhile where you would blow up tons of ships for decent loot runs but they cut the value of a lot of loot items and again its back to a time invested quotient. A good loot run can get you 400-600k a go, but T6 lockbox ships start at around 99 mil so at about 200 runs that idea starts to look less attractive.

Theoretical hot tip to anyone who hasnt figured it out for themselves by now, if the thing said earlier about contraband turn ins going from 4 hours to 20 is true (i havent looked into it) expect the value of contraband to plummet hard, if anyone has bunch of unsold contra stacks lying around maybe list it now, I was surprised I got 9 mil each for mine and I dont expect those prices to maintain as word goes around. (if it hasnt dropped in the 24 hours since I last checked)

Theres probably some obvious or well known money generating schemes that I am overlooking or dont know but Ive never been space rich, just really space well off here and there, I did pretty good for myself in the contra farming heyday but blew all of that on internet start up stocks and other bad investments. A lot of it got sunk into "hey whats this upgrade and crafting poo poo about, oh god where did that last 100 mil go?"

EDIT: Also I made a lot of my tiny fortune back when the game was WAYYYY more alt friendly. Having an extra 6-9 alts all running poo poo at the same time and rotating through them to run STFs was bringing in a lot more of everything in general than just 1 character (obviously) but at the time it was almost no effort to get a guy to 11 and cheese doffing and foundry missons to get to 50 with almost no effort. then it was checking in for 10 minutes each to run a quick stf and assign some doffs. Now theres so much poo poo going on in the game and all the big Xp loopholes have been plugged (then nerfed relentlessly) that Im not gonna say its impossible, but I wouldnt expect making a large amount of money quickly without buying in in some fashion or getting a really lucky single lockbox open (it happens but dont rely on it, all my rarest ships are from my crazy rear end going "gently caress it" and buying 3 keys or dropping a saved up stipend on a few promo doff packs and walking away with a galor or a bugship or a freighter) I hope someone corrects me on all this cause then it makes an already bad game look super depressing to a new player(dont spend money on this game, be better than me)

Dr. Lariat fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jul 19, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fakemirage posted:

:golfclap:
They claim it was never "cancelled" just "called off".

I can't see anything posted regarding updated time and place, so I assume the previous plan still holds true.
It'll probably be the case that they'll show up at a random time, take a couple of selfies and then spend a couple of days in a self-congratulatory fervor talking about what a good person they were for doing so.

I just got a lift in the Doctor's TARDIS and I can tell you of the future! :eng101:

He (Cassandra) will turn up and complain a lot about dental trolls in zone chat for a few hours, give away precisely nothing and then attempt to take all the credit for the entire event properly due to the goon contributors and organizers who are actually giving back to the community.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

Dr. Lariat posted:

Halman posted:

[how to afford a lockbox ship after six months :words:]
Or you could join in on the giveaway for a couple of good end-game ships.:siren:

DonDoodles posted:

The STARFLEET DENTAL Memorial Celebration/Giveaway Event is set for Thursday the 21st at 7:30 EDT on Bajor. I know the time doesn't work for everyone, but that's all I can swing this week.

If anyone has any items they'd like to donate for the event, go ahead and send them my way and I'll add them to the pool. We have a few pubbies adding to the already generous prize pool, so it should be the most generous "funeral" in STO history.

Additionally, I'm looking for any/all contest ideas for the event. If you have any ideas, send them to me in-game. No offense to my man Binks, who has graciously donated his money to Lowtax to keep an eye on this thread, but I think everyone benefits from a surprise or two. Life gets dull otherwise.
:goku:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Mandatory grey
Cassandra wants attention
No one will love him

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Our event has been scheduled much more efficiently than hers. Will have not only a remembrance of the dead but a celebration of his life, and will, as is dental tradition, will have some goodies given away to the participants.

Her event is attempting to force a dress code in a public location so they can stand around, take some screen shots and fake some tears like they did at their piss poor Spock memorial after Nimoy passed away.

Seems like a pretty tough choice as to which event I'd like to go to.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I don't think there's a
name more ridiculous than
Cassandra Saturn

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Oh boy, party time
Glad that filming is over
Time to get the mail

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

Got suckered back into playing after reading about the updates.

cubanrefugee@cubanrefugeesa
&
midnight@cubanrefugeesa

Galdarion
Apr 13, 2014
Thought I'd give this ago again.

Galdarion@Galdarion

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Star Treks is their life
drat dental trolls ruining all
Outdoors is scary place

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Mondian posted:

Qualified wiki articles follow a peer review process. I'll need 3-5 goons to confirm this isn't dogshit.

Psycho Landlord posted:

It's a solid generalist build, and it shits on torpedoes, as all real builds should. 8/10 would probably use and fail to understand as a newbie because this game is opaque.

g0del posted:

It's good. If you want a more generalist/less glass-cannon skill set, drop the 6 ranks in admiral tactical and fill out some of the science/eng commander level skills - won't affect your DPS much, and will increase survival.

Mondian posted:

You wrote a lot of words and didn't include any pictures so the chances of me reading all that equal zero. You still need to convince a few somebodies to vouch for all that though.

RescueFreak posted:

When I came back recently I kept blowing up and it felt like killing things took forever. Turns out I lost all my skills at some point.

But thanks to Skillz4Goons the Borg are the ones who blow up. Thanks Skillz4Goons!

SKY COQ posted:

Hello friends I am drunk

Please like my skill builds

Please

Berke Negri posted:

SKY IBU i hope you remember this tomorrow but i liked your skill guides

Friends, the skill guide saga continues. The peer review process means I need your feedback on what's good, what's not and what more can be added. No change is too big or too small. It needs to be right, and then I need your feedback on the thread telling the world how amazing it is. Remember, the louder we are about our secret stash of skill knowledge, the more pubbies will join the forums to access our secrets.

https://wiki.wesleyguide.com/skillz_4_goonz

Do it for Anton.

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
id like to see more about specialization builds, and what picks are garbage. Assuming it matters.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

This is a good point. It's a bit outside the scope of an article about the 1-50 skill tree but would there be a good appetite for a separate article on which skill trees are good and which are bad and dumb?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
What I really want is for someone to finally write a Wrath of Khan uniform guide so I can get every detail right, would be best if it was at least a thousand words.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

SKY COQ posted:

Friends, the skill guide saga continues. The peer review process means I need your feedback on what's good, what's not and what more can be added. No change is too big or too small. It needs to be right, and then I need your feedback on the thread telling the world how amazing it is. Remember, the louder we are about our secret stash of skill knowledge, the more pubbies will join the forums to access our secrets.

https://wiki.wesleyguide.com/skillz_4_goonz

Do it for Anton.

Do it for Anton,
Read the skills 4 goonz wiki,
Send Sky Coq feedback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Morglon posted:

What I really want is for someone to finally write a Wrath of Khan uniform guide so I can get every detail right, would be best if it was at least a thousand words.

Mate if you are dissing the best article on the wiki we are going to have issues.

• Locked thread