Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Afraid of Audio posted:

scoping just changes whether the shot is hitscan or a projectile

:aaa: this is good information to know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy
The fact that sudden death is still in the game boggles my mind. And on top of that with the new overtime timings, it's even harder to get the first point on most maps before overtime.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

So this shot hits the friendly bot. Nice hitboxes Blizz.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think ana's shots have a really generous hitboxes on friendly targets so you don't have to be an incredible sniper to actually use ana

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think ana's shots have a really generous hitboxes on friendly targets so you don't have to be an incredible sniper to actually use ana
They're gigantic. Good aim still helps a lot though.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

When you scope with Ana you only have to hit in the triangle to heal teammates and have to you use the actual reticule for enemies.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Ana is glorious, D.va 2.0 is glorious. The amount of people crying about both heroes is turbo glorious.

Ana's healing projectiles are the largest in the game. They're generous because it would be really difficult to do any real healing without superhuman mechanical skill.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is there any indication Ana is actually good and not dead weight gimmick garbage

I recognize my impression is based mostly upon watching her piloted by idiots but

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008
D.Va is GREAT right now. Her ult might be on the edge of a little too good, it maybe needs to charge a tad slower, but the defense matrix buff allows me to counter McCree and Pharah ultis judiciously. I've been trying my best to matrix whenever I hear ult callouts as well. But I can now pick D.Va without feeling like I could be serving my team better. Defense matrix is just SO major.

Zenyatta feels better, and with the damage buff to his right click, I feel like I can use it to peak Bastions. The orb movespeed is a huge help, and the health allows me to have battles with flankers. I still mostly lose, but I win 1/4 instead of 1/10. The ult feels a lot nicer as well, and I feel like it does a better job of competing with the Lucio and the Mercy ult.

McCree is very good, and I don't mind, because at my level of play, the range rewards skill. No one's good enough to destroy with him like in some of the pro Twitch streams I've been watching, I just feel rewarded for doing well and clicking heads. It's REALLY satisfying to do well with him now.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Did the servers just die?

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Mystery Machine posted:

McCree is very good, and I don't mind, because at my level of play, the range rewards skill. No one's good enough to destroy with him like in some of the pro Twitch streams I've been watching, I just feel rewarded for doing well and clicking heads. It's REALLY satisfying to do well with him now.

Honestly, McCree is the real problem this patch. Everyone's preoccupied with D.va, but aren't paying attention to just how crazy the cowboy is now.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So it appears putting them to sleep just momentarily stuns them,it does NOT cancel some ults. I put to sleep Roadhog, and he got up really fast and kept ulting. It DOES stop a reinhart dead though.

Is there something that determines the length of time of the sleep?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
This patch seems kind of buggy. A bunch of my friends have mentioned that they're going through walls or get stuck in walls. There's a weird thing with font sizes fluctuating when you alt tab back into the game from a second monitor. The ATTACK / DEFEND indicators are missing at the start of a match.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

It should stop channeled ults like Roadhog and McCree.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Jastiger posted:

So it appears putting them to sleep just momentarily stuns them,it does NOT cancel some ults. I put to sleep Roadhog, and he got up really fast and kept ulting. It DOES stop a reinhart dead though.

if you deal any amount of damage to a sleeped target they instantly wake up, its likely you sleeped the roadhog before he lost ult charge so he instantly ulted again

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Brannock posted:

This patch seems kind of buggy. A bunch of my friends have mentioned that they're going through walls or get stuck in walls. There's a weird thing with font sizes fluctuating when you alt tab back into the game from a second monitor. The ATTACK / DEFEND indicators are missing at the start of a match.

The fonts get hosed up by non-roman script as well, but that's not new to this patch.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Afraid of Audio posted:

if you deal any amount of damage to a sleeped target they instantly wake up, its likely you sleeped the roadhog before he lost ult charge so he instantly ulted again
Yea that's probably what happened.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Afraid of Audio posted:

Ah good point, thats likely what happened. As soon as i saw him wind up I was like NOPE.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

novaSphere posted:

Honestly, McCree is the real problem this patch. Everyone's preoccupied with D.va, but aren't paying attention to just how crazy the cowboy is now.

Blizzard just doesn't understand how HP breakpoints work, doubling Mcree's effective range also means he can now 3 shot (2 with a crit) most heroes at typical distances. Of course, the problem might just be 4 shots is too many, and 3 shots is too few, in which case they need to slow his rate of fire down to compensate slightly.

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008

Blorange posted:

Blizzard just doesn't understand how HP breakpoints work, doubling Mcree's effective range also means he can now 3 shot (2 with a crit) most heroes at typical distances. Of course, the problem might just be 4 shots is too many, and 3 shots is too few, in which case they need to slow his rate of fire down to compensate slightly.

I actually really like that idea.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
New Zenyatta is amazing. I love the extra health, but the buffed right-click is what's made it for me. I can peek dudes again.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ana's voice acting is perfect. Smiling so hard

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Jastiger posted:

Your teammate hit him

The only time I've had long sleeps on enemies is if I was retreating and my team wasn't there otherwise someone will always wake them up right away

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Blorange posted:

I think they definitely have an understanding of it, given Zenyatta's damage nerf. While it's only 5 damage off each shot, that means he requires at least 1 more shot to kill on most heroes with Discord on them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

on bodyshots yea, but he can still headshot 200 health heroes in 2 hits when they're discorded just like before

the big difference is that you can't kill reaper/mei in 2 headshots anymore

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Elpato posted:

New Zenyatta is amazing. I love the extra health, but the buffed right-click is what's made it for me. I can peek dudes again.

What did they change about Zen's alt fire? Not at my overwatch PC so I can't check

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

on bodyshots yea, but he can still headshot 200 health heroes in 2 hits just like before

200 yes, anything above no; and only headshots. 200 HP heroes now require an additional bodyshot to kill. Reaper and Mei can now survive 2 Discorded headshots from Zenyatta whereas he previously could not. I believe tanks now also require an additional Orb body or headshot to kill. "It's a wash" because of Zen's new 200 HP pool himself, but it's still there and quite noticeable.

Away all Goats posted:

What did they change about Zen's alt fire? Not at my overwatch PC so I can't check

Zen's altfire now does 40 per shot, up from 35. Altfire and primary fire now do the same damage. It's still a highly situational attack.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I was thinking you could wake up a flanker with 5 orbs to the dome

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
Since competitive came out I really wonder why anyone bothers to play Quick Play anymore...

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Away all Goats posted:

:aaa: this is good information to know

Enemy genjis can reflect unscoped shots but can't reflect scoped shots. Saw it on one of the mythbuster videos. Edit: he reflects the scoped shots but they don't do damage whereas the unscoped ones do. Misremembered.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jul 20, 2016

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Because I don't want to have to play KOTH five times

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

objects in mirror posted:

Since competitive came out I really wonder why anyone bothers to play Quick Play anymore...

In my experience quick play is a lot more chill and enjoyable than competitive.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Fewer offensive Torbjorns. No really.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

redweird posted:

Because I don't want to have to play KOTH five times

Yeah the matches take forever is why I stay away

khy
Aug 15, 2005

1) To practice with and use heroes I'm not good at in an effort to improve without the rest of the team screaming at how garbage I am with McCree when I have less than 40 minutes total playtime with him.

2) Because if you're going to be playing alongside a friend or someone you know is still getting used to the game, you can play without fear of losing anything as opposed to ranking down.

3) Because sometimes (Not always) gimmick matches with multiple heroes are fun.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

My experience with competitive is admittedly far more limited than other peoples' here. That said, what I experienced was something that was no more coordinated, skilled, or inherently less prone to all the things people who complain about quick play complain about (the slampick Hanzo who stays there the entire match, lack of voice communication, lack of hero switching, lack of playing the objectives, people trying to act like their gold medal for eliminations makes them team captain, etc), all married to a system that makes games take 2-3 times longer and still hasn't done much to curtail the whole issue of people leaving mid-match and loving up everyone's progress, and all of this is without getting into the extreme ends of toxicity that competitive play engenders in some folks. All for a gold weapon reskin. I mean, from my perspective I'm not sure why anyone bothers to play competitive since up until the recent 1-hero limitation which just got patched in it was literally the same as quick play only way more drawn out and easier to grief.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

When you get a bad team you aren't stuck with them for extra rounds.

khy posted:

1) To practice with and use heroes I'm not good at in an effort to improve without the rest of the team screaming at how garbage I am with McCree when I have less than 40 minutes total playtime with him.

If you are going to practice a hero, please do it vs AI or practice range. The hard AI are better than most people anyway.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Oh I also forgot that Sudden Death is also really bad, and as bad as infinite overtime with 5x Tracers can be I'd honestly rather have that than a coinflip to see who gets to cheese their way to victory in 90 seconds.

So yeah, comp matches don't seem any better on average than your typical quick play match and are way more tedious to boot. Maybe it gets way better once you're in the coveted upper echelons of rank 70+ but since I'm never in my life going to be good enough at Overwatch to reach those levels it's an academic point.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Kai Tave posted:

Oh I also forgot that Sudden Death is also really bad, and as bad as infinite overtime with 5x Tracers can be I'd honestly rather have that than a coinflip to see who gets to cheese their way to victory in 90 seconds.

So yeah, comp matches don't seem any better on average than your typical quick play match and are way more tedious to boot. Maybe it gets way better once you're in the coveted upper echelons of rank 70+ but since I'm never in my life going to be good enough at Overwatch to reach those levels it's an academic point.

The best thing about it now is hero limits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

I'll practice heroes in quickplay but not for the whole match. I've been trying out Hanzo on attack for a lot of maps because of his wallclimb but i'll normally switch off if we take the point or i'm getting nothing done. Besides, if you're just getting dumpstered what are you going to learn?