Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

tell 'em it's okay to make vm in their pants

NE: this is one hell of a way to start a page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

infernal machines posted:

there's an entire engineering* department that has to have special snowflake UAC and power user permissions because the vendor specific CAD/CAM stuff they use cannot run any other way. there's a program that calculates thermal expansion in glass that requires admin privileges, why? because gently caress you, we made this 20 years ago and we'll be damned if it's ever being updated, that's why

*real ones, not code monkeys

run process monitor and filter for anything that returns ACCESS DENIED and you should be able to find the specific folders and reg keys that users need modify rights to without having to giving away admin rights

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

¿por que no los dos?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

run process monitor and filter for anything that returns ACCESS DENIED and you should be able to find the specific folders and reg keys that users need modify rights to without having to giving away admin rights

believe it or not, they are not willing to pay for the time to do that for every application that runs like this

there are many, and the vendors won't support them if you don't run them in the very specific way they require, at some point it's cheaper just to give the poindexters local admin and deal with whatever mess they make

most of the time is spent making sure the idiotic application specific UAC requirements don't break anything else.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

we tell our vendors to go suck a gently caress and if they don't want to support it then they should have wrote it right in the first place, and since they still want our money they tend to go along with it. I recommend doing the same.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

we tell our vendors to go suck a gently caress and if they don't want to support it then they should have wrote it right in the first place, and since they still want our money they tend to go along with it.

how many fucks have you gotten your vendors to suck?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

we tell our vendors to go suck a gently caress and if they don't want to support it then they should have wrote it right in the first place, and since they still want our money they tend to go along with it. I recommend doing the same.

this is surprisingly difficult when the vendor is some spergtastic GmbH that happens to be the only one in the world that writes software for your particular $100K CnC machine and this specific application.

you can tell them to go suck a gently caress, but if production goes down because you're trying to be proper and correct about user permissions, well, they aren't going to get the blame

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Oh hey neat Microsoft's already pushed the advance version of the Maps app to standard channel Windows 10. Kinda hard to set a default location when that hook isn't in the system yet, don't you think.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

quote:

Microsoft has turned on a new set of Windows Tips that warn Windows 10 users that Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox is draining their laptop's battery. The solution, according to the notification, is to use Microsoft Edge.

bets on:

- whether this shows up on ltsb, which doesn't have edge
- how many hundreds of millions of euros the eu will nail them for this time

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
chome is definitely inefficient as hell and will murder your cpu. idk about failfox but given that they cant deal with tabs in javascript its probably the same.

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug
i got something like that two weeks ago watching sgdq
threw it on edge so i could just kill the process every time it froze due to twitch's lovely plugin and after a few hours of it miraculously working windows 10 popped up a message about how i needed to close firefox because it was taking up too much memory

popped open the task manager, edge was using over 5 gigs of memory and firefox was just over 256 megs

after that i just switched to livestreamer

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

what do you mean by tabs in javascript

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
failfox has performance problems parsing tab characters in javascript files

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Shaggar posted:

failfox has performance problems parsing tab characters in javascript files

richard was right

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Prosthetic_Mind posted:

i got something like that two weeks ago watching sgdq
threw it on edge so i could just kill the process every time it froze due to twitch's lovely plugin and after a few hours of it miraculously working windows 10 popped up a message about how i needed to close firefox because it was taking up too much memory

popped open the task manager, edge was using over 5 gigs of memory and firefox was just over 256 megs

after that i just switched to livestreamer

firefox can't even use much more than 2 gigs of memory because it is a 32-bit process.

which is kind of a blessing, because it absolutely would. (I don't know why it goes over 2 gigs in the first place, but when it starts to do weird things like render most of the screen black, or hang, the "private bytes" in process explorer is always between 2 and 3 gigs)

i'm using the beta version because it has multiprocess support and it does stay up for a lot longer because the tabs run in "plugin-container.exe", but it is inevitable that at some point it will consume over 2 gigs and crash. firefox just does not deallocate memory ever.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Wheany posted:

firefox just does not deallocate memory ever.

yeah, this is true

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
failfox is garbage and you're on the wrong side of history if you use it

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Millstone posted:

Highly doubt history will care which WebKit browser you used.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Millstone posted:

well, unfortunately opera makes a chrome clone these days, so there really is no "right choice" anymore

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Wheany posted:

well, unfortunately opera makes a chrome clone these days, so there really is no "right choice" anymore

what was the right choice back in the day?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

max4me posted:

comedy option: lynx

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

max4me posted:

telnet

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

wget and then read the source manually :getin:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
spyglass

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

aol desktop

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
wtf do you weirdos do with your browsers that firefox is constantly running out of memory and exploding? i use it exclusively with a bazillion extensions and have never had that problem, even on occasions where ive left it open for a few days. are you all those grey forum auteurs who have to keep every single link you encounter open in a tab in case you ever want to come back to it ever because bookmarks somehow just arnet the right solution to saving a internet web site to come back to it later?

*up next on hoarders: buried alive*
:cry:: my dad wont stop, hell never stop! the house is so hot, his comptuer is so hot. every time i go over there, hes just looking at his tabs, stroking them, giving them names
:tinfoil:: i have to read them all, if i do ill finally know how to keep the cia out of my litterboxes
*host looks on smugly*: arent you worried about the sanitation in the house?
:cry:: how can i have time for that? my dads rectum has permanently fused with his chair because he looked at his tabs for so long. his name his james, just remember that
:tinfoil:: *middle clicks on something*

*barely musical tonal noises played dramatically as screen turns to grayscale, then inverted, then fades to black*

*after the break: a man who just cant stop storing his feces..... in socks*

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i have seven open tabs, no extensions, firefox shits itself for several seconds just clicking on a link

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

wtf do you weirdos do with your browsers that firefox is constantly running out of memory and exploding? i use it exclusively with a bazillion extensions and have never had that problem, even on occasions where ive left it open for a few days. are you all those grey forum auteurs who have to keep every single link you encounter open in a tab in case you ever want to come back to it ever because bookmarks somehow just arnet the right solution to saving a internet web site to come back to it later?

several days lol i never close chrome ever except when it gets an update

lmao firefox the amazing browser that can be open for up to a few days!!

what loving trash

burning swine
May 26, 2004

computering in the 90s permanently damaged my workflow and i still close every app the second i'm "done" with it to free up those precious rams

I know it's unnecessary, but i still can't stop myself from doing it

right now I have one browser window open with one tab: this thread

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
i leave my computer on until it force restarts because of updates and my firefox will render stuff all black sometimes. they should make firefox 64 bits so i can leave it open forever

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Maximum Leader posted:

i leave my computer on until it force restarts because of updates and my firefox will render stuff all black sometimes. they should make firefox 64 bits so i can leave it open forever

there is a 64 bit build of firefox. its just not the main download link. i have been running 64 bit firefox for 6 months.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

ff works great for me because I don't hold it wrong

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there is a 64 bit build of firefox. its just not the main download link. i have been running 64 bit firefox for 6 months.

it is also hot garbage that doesn't resolve any of the memory leak issues with the plugin containers, but does give them plenty of additional ram to chew up

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

thanks, i had no idea

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hey shaggs, have the new edge builds added the amazing innovation of smooth scrolling yet?

on that note, why is there a browser in tyool 2016 that jumps around like an epileptic just because i'm using a scroll wheel?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

are you all those grey forum auteurs who have to keep every single link you encounter open in a tab

I can't do that anymore because I'm not using opera anymore. Instead I'm using Firefox which will poo poo itself after I open a few dozen links in new tabs, then close them, many many times. Because Firefox does not deallocate memory.

I open links, read them, then close the tabs. I do not hoard them anymore.

And the reason I use firefox is because ive seen what ms does when it gets browser dominance and because google is a creepy advertising company with adhd w/r/t supporting features.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

max4me posted:

IE, same as it is today.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

infernal machines posted:

hey shaggs, have the new edge builds added the amazing innovation of smooth scrolling yet?

on that note, why is there a browser in tyool 2016 that jumps around like an epileptic just because i'm using a scroll wheel?

Edge smooth scrolls for me.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it scrolls properly with a touchpad, but with a scroll wheel it jumps 3 lines at a time, there is no setting to change this behaviour anywhere in edge and it's the only browser that does this

edit: actually ie does it too, but only in windows 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wheany posted:

I can't do that anymore because I'm not using opera anymore. Instead I'm using Firefox which will poo poo itself after I open a few dozen links in new tabs, then close them, many many times. Because Firefox does not deallocate memory.

I open links, read them, then close the tabs. I do not hoard them anymore.

And the reason I use firefox is because ive seen what ms does when it gets browser dominance and because google is a creepy advertising company with adhd w/r/t supporting features.

have you considered chromium?

it's free software

• Locked thread