Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
http://lamerciepark.com/comics/deathstroke/

Christopher Priest wrote A LOT of words about his upcoming Deathstroke run. You can easily glean how excited he is for this project and the passion he seems to be bringing to this. Art doesn't look too bad either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

"Joseph the Good Son"

Wonder how long that will last this time.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Is it wrong to be vaguely interested in a new addition to the Emotional Spectrum in the Year of Our Lord 2016? If so, does it help that I'm more interested in the solicits that are about Simon & Jessica just hanging out with family? It feels strange to finally, 100% be done with Green Lantern as an "Event" book.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Even with Priest, though I can't say I've read anything good by him in years, I can't imagine there being any reason I would want to read a Deathstroke twice a month. Even if I wanted to check it out the twice a month thing kinda kills my interest in some of the fringe books.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It's good to see Priest so excited, too bad it's about loving Deathstroke.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Priest's Q&W follow up was really bad so I am very skeptical about this.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

TwoPair posted:

It's good to see Priest so excited, too bad it's about loving Deathstroke.

quote:

With Deathstroke, we are more or less doing old-style done-in-one’s; Priest in Denny O’Neil Mode writing within a planned episodic structure. Each issue is both a story and part of a larger story. This is a book that doesn't have to wait for the trade, it can be read issue-by-issue and still work (Rebirth being a notable exception as that story concludes in Deathstroke #1). In today’s broader and more visually-oriented style, telling a full story in a single issue can be a real challenge and make for a crowded look, but my goal is to give the fans more than their money’s worth: a good, solid read with strong characters we hope you will grow to care about and want to see more of.

Also appearing in the book will be something too often missing from Deathstroke: humor. Full disclosure, Deathstroke: Rebirth isn’t all that funny. DSRB will, in fact, be funnier when you read Deathstroke #1 and then get jokes you missed in Deathstroke: Rebirth. Deathstroke will not, in any sense, be Quantum & Woody, but I see no earthly reason why comic relief could or should not be in the mix. Deathstroke himself is not funny and has very little in the way of a sense of humor, but expect a broader range of narrative.

We’ve abandoned the first person narrative technique in favor of making Slade Wilson a man who holds his own council. Slade will never, under any circumstances, tell you what he is thinking. If he does, don’t believe it; he’s playing you. Ironically, by getting out of Slade’s head, we achieve a higher level of intimacy because now the audience has to guess, along with Slade’s family and friends, what his actual motives are.

PriestStroke talks about 65% less than Deathstroke traditionally has. This is among the grab-bag of tweaks DC has graciously allowed me to make. My Deathstroke is much more laconic and is not at all pompous as he has been portrayed. This portrayal is based largely on my observation of Tough Guys. A guy who gets in your face and threatens and snarls and tells you he’s gonna kick your rear end really isn’t all that tough. Real badasses don’t need the preamble; a guy who’s really going to hurt you just walks up and hits you. Let’s go. My Deathstroke doesn’t talk about it, he’s just there one moment and you’re chewing concrete the next. The only people PriestStroke actually talks to at any length are people he has a close relationship with—friends and foes.

Post-Rebirth, the Deathstroke series becomes more introspective and character-driven. Slade (Deathstroke) Wilson and his adventures are toned down somewhat to be more in-keeping with the assassin’s core values: stealth, secrecy, invisibility, silence. This may grate some of the series’ current readers who have grown accustomed to Deathstroke leveling city blocks and battling space aliens and fiery demons, so I’m certainly more than nervous about how this new vision of the character—a kind of evil version of Batman—might be received.

We’ve slimmed Deathstroke down from what were becoming Hulking proportions. In my view, an assassin can’t possibly be effective if he’s running around, bandolier clanking, firing full auto like the Schwarzenegger Terminator. I see Slade more like the icy-quiet, emotionally stunted Jean Reno character from the genre-defining Léon The Professional or Vincent, Tom Cruise’s stealthy hit man from the Michael Mann classic Collateral. The Rebirthed Deathstroke is a shadow man, an urban legend, who moves invisibly, silently, strikes without warning, and vanishes.

As I see him, Deathstroke’s true super-power is his intellect. Marv and others have loaded him up with these other powers—virtually all of which I find to be unnecessary and tedious in the sense that I have to find ways to demonstrate them. I’d be much happier if Deathstroke simply was what I believe Marv intended him to be: the evil version of Batman. Slade’s most potent super-power is his innate genius (we are abandoning the silliness that Deathstroke, “uses 90% of his brain capacity,” which is ridiculous. If Slade could access 90% of his brain capacity he’d be Charles Xavier).

This might help sell you.

Rhyno posted:

Priest's Q&W follow up was really bad so I am very skeptical about this.

http://lamerciepark.com/comics/qwoody/

Priest himself had a lot to say about this.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

That costume looks good as hell. Deathstroke lives or dies by the costume, IMO.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'd like to give it a shot, since if it's as good as Priest is making it seem to be, it's probably going to be the best version of the character since Wolfman was writing him.

But I sincerely hope that Jericho doesn't turn evil for a dumb reason yet again. I may think he's an otherwise boring and uninteresting character, but I really can't stand him as a villain.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

X-O posted:

Even with Priest, though I can't say I've read anything good by him in years, I can't imagine there being any reason I would want to read a Deathstroke twice a month. Even if I wanted to check it out the twice a month thing kinda kills my interest in some of the fringe books.

This is basically my feeling. Like if Priest ends up basically just recreating Deathstroke and making into some totally different far more interesting character I might bite, but it sounds like this is still fundamentally Deathstroke, and I fundamentally have no interest in reading Deathrstoke 2 times a month.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Chainmail bra

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
His selling pitch is great, lets just see the execution though.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Gaz-L posted:

Argh, so she WAS Oracle now? I get that Rebirth is specially to allow poo poo like this, but good lord, make up your minds, people!

To be fair, even the Burnside run didn't specifically invalidate that she was Oracle.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Looks like Michael Cho is taking over the Silver Age Omnibus covers from Darwyn Cooke. Good choice.
https://twitter.com/Michael_Cho/status/755429718065762304

Here are some of Cooke's

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was re-reading some Infinite Crisis era stuff recently and saw some of Phil Jiminez's notes on character designs he'd worked on around the time in the back matter of one of the collections (I think it was the TPB of the core series). One comment he makes is how he was annoyed by how Dr Psycho was being portrayed as "a little person in dress clothes" whereas is idea of the character was that he was more troll-like and inhuman-looking. Is there any interesting story behind this? Where did the "little person in dress clothes" version originate?

I remember the character from the Gail Simone run on Superman and Villains United and thought his whole "I'll make him kill himself with a potato peeler!" portrayal was sort of try-hard, but I'm not sure if it was meant to be or if he was supposed to be a serious villain.

Have also started reading Silver Age Flash - I haven't read a huge amount of it and was expecting it'd be silly like Silver Age Superman, but it's really good and I'm enjoying it a lot. I appreciate how those Broome / Infantino stories were completely earnest about all the pseudo-science explanations for how Barry could do all his speed tricks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Have also started reading Silver Age Flash - I haven't read a huge amount of it and was expecting it'd be silly like Silver Age Superman, but it's really good and I'm enjoying it a lot. I appreciate how those Broome / Infantino stories were completely earnest about all the pseudo-science explanations for how Barry could do all his speed tricks.

Nobody has really worked up a better way to draw super speed than what Infantino did back then.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was re-reading some Infinite Crisis era stuff recently and saw some of Phil Jiminez's notes on character designs he'd worked on around the time in the back matter of one of the collections (I think it was the TPB of the core series). One comment he makes is how he was annoyed by how Dr Psycho was being portrayed as "a little person in dress clothes" whereas is idea of the character was that he was more troll-like and inhuman-looking. Is there any interesting story behind this? Where did the "little person in dress clothes" version originate?

I remember the character from the Gail Simone run on Superman and Villains United and thought his whole "I'll make him kill himself with a potato peeler!" portrayal was sort of try-hard, but I'm not sure if it was meant to be or if he was supposed to be a serious villain.

I think the explanation of Dr psycho looking the way he did was that he projected that look into people's minds. I think a book covered this but was retconned.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Dr. Psycho is a victim of Stardust.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/755583042194968579

Constantine leaving America due Trump made me chuckle. But aside of that I'm not feeling this title and the art looks really rough at some spots.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I wrote off the new era of Hellblazer as being terrible after the incredibly forced and unfunny Night Vale reference(and I like Night Vale).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's nice to see at least one major publisher doesn't give a poo poo about their characters smoking on the covers of their books.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The colouring's a bit overly rendered for him, but Moritat rules.

WickedHate posted:

I wrote off the new era of Hellblazer as being terrible after the incredibly forced and unfunny Night Vale reference(and I like Night Vale).

I can't remember that, but the last Tynion/Doyle series was quite good.

e: Woop. Pardon the editing. Those first few pages didn't look like Moritat.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 20, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

If it's not utterly terrible, I'm going to support Hellblazer as much as I can out of some vain hope that it doesn't get cancelled within 12 issues.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
Kinda funny that Constantine would leave America due to Trump when the UK now has Margaret Thatcher 2.0 as PM now along with Brexit to deal with.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Constantine leaves the Earth entirely, becomes a Green Lantern.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
God that art is arse. Cunts at DC couldnt let Doyle continue

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Veg posted:

God that art is arse. Cunts at DC couldnt let Doyle continue

I have the issue on my desk but I'm way too tired to read it now, so, quick question: Does Moritat still draw every woman in the book with the creepy dead eyes and the curves of a doll?

e: Also, Doyle only did writing, the main artist on the previous run was Riley Rossmo, who I did not notice was also the guy who did Wild Children with Ales Kot

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

goldenoreos posted:

Kinda funny that Constantine would leave America due to Trump when the UK now has Margaret Thatcher 2.0 as PM now along with Brexit to deal with.

That would be awesome if that's exactly how it plays out though and we get a kind of Delano style run filled with anger and frustration over the current political scene mixed in with demons.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I had to reset the big "IT HAS BEEN _ WEEKS SINCE TOMASI AND GLEASON KILLED AN ANIMAL" counter (again!) but otherwise Superman was still good.

BoP was alright. I really did not need to see another loving TKJ flashback though. Rebirth issues are always just a bunch of set dressing before the actual comic starts. I don't know how well I buy this sudden transformation of the Helena from Grayson into the classic bloodthirsty mobster-slayer Huntress.

Justice League was boring and I probably won't read another issue.

Batman is still going real slow but I'm starting to dig it more. Really liked the hidden Bat-cycle. I'm oddly relieved that Gotham and Gotham Girl are apparently not just waiting to turn on Batman but I'm sure the source of their powers is going to be something sinister.

Them's the comics I read this week, cheers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/755583042194968579

Constantine leaving America due Trump made me chuckle. But aside of that I'm not feeling this title and the art looks really rough at some spots.

Oh no he's doing a Dreamworks face.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Piss and smoke.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I appreciated John Workman breaking out his Thor onomatopoeia fonts in Batman.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Travis343 posted:

I had to reset the big "IT HAS BEEN _ WEEKS SINCE TOMASI AND GLEASON KILLED AN ANIMAL" counter (again!) but otherwise Superman was still good.
I think it was a fakeout. Note the Eradicator Phantom Zone retcon. I bet Superdad and Son are gonna go on a road trip.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Maybe it was just Jimenez, but I don't dig on Krypto suddenly not being all wolfy :mad:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 20, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dario the Wop posted:

I think it was a fakeout. Note the Eradicator Phantom Zone retcon. I bet Superdad and Son are gonna go on a road trip.

Yeah I make room for the idea that Jon is gonna go all Gohan and beat the Eradicator until a dog falls out, but it is getting a little silly that 2/3 of the new superman now has a pet getting killed in it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Maybe it was just Jimenez, but I don't dig on Krypto suddenly not being all wolfy :mad:

Isn't that essentially how he was drawn back in his N52 debut?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm already seeing clickbait articles about Krypto.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Picked up Green Lanterns, Justice League, and Birds of Prey, and... I liked them?
Green Lanterns is making good decisions with its characters, and I look forward to the upcoming arc that has way less to do with this "Red Dawn" video game prologue level. The idea that Simon was on the verge of healing Bleez's rage, only for a ring-challenged Jessica to hit her with a copy machine and trigger her rage back into power was bizarrely funny to me. Bonus: this opens the door for other characters to go through the revolving door of Red Lantern membership without dying.
Justice League had some pretty moments, wasn't great, but I'm a sucker for seeing the team take on worldwide threats, so I was satisfied. Kind of surprised that the story buried Atlantis in the first issue, I thought that sort of destruction was reserved for more noteworthy events.
Birds of Prey... aw, yeah. Weren't some people mildly upset that DC would even hint at retconning The Killing Joke? Well, it's still canon as gently caress. But more importantly, the gang's getting back together!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I think I'm dropping Green Lanterns and Batman after this week. It's just not doing much for me at this point. Superman continues to be awesome and probably my favorite thing DC is doing right now (maybe detective comics).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
It's time

Man, we're off to a fantastic start

:allears: