Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Don't even need an Ares 90, a lvl 50 Heavy with a decent Phoenix and a half decent augment setup can clear the lot without issue. If you can't one-shot the tyrant it might pop an evasion buff, you'll likely have to wait that out before finishing the job.

This will get you piles of XP, class XP, and massive heaps of junk weapons to sell for a completely stupid amount of credits if you aren't already maxed out. The tyrant itself can also potentially drop top-end non-unique ground weapons, though the odds of getting something really good aren't particularly great; unlock all of the AMs, deck the party out in C&C gear, and get as many users of the weapon type you want in the party to maximize odds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Thank you. I've got one lvl 50 and just about enough for the heavy 50.

And I've got a half day at work so I think I'll clear it today. Thanks, guys

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Getting a Xenoblade tat this afternoon, will post pics

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

If it's not of Heropon Riki, don't bother.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Get some pecs now

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Unoriginal One posted:

The tyrant itself can also potentially drop top-end non-unique ground weapons

For reference, Ultra Diamond * for melee weapons and Ultra Nebulan * for ranged. With exceptions for some brands because cats have to be different. I think they still keep the Ultra prefix though.

Which do you like better, Ultra Diamond Thudclang or Ultra Nebulan Bangbang?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Calaveron posted:

Get some pecs now

Post your pecs

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Finished playing Xenoblade Chronicles. Liked it a hell of a lot more than X, which is why I stuck with it even when the last 1/4 went pretty loopy. Hhonestly its probably my favorite RPG in ages just because the world was so unique. I really liked climbing up the Bionis and seeing all the different environments as you scaled it.

I'm awful at these games though. I kept realizing I had misunderstood a bunch of game mechanics throughout the whole thing, even in the final fight.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I know its not the best place to post it, but fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck my hard drive decided to get corrupted again. As much as I enjoyed the game, not worth putting in another 100+ hours to get close to the end.

Does anyone know anything helpful to fix Nintendo's baffling partition format? Online all I can find is "Is it a Y cable?" (no, external powered), "Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in?" (Yes, insert some sarcastic garbage here. Also Wii U gets pissy and tells you not to plug it when its powered up and won't do anything anyway until rebooting where it bitches that it doesn't work anyway).

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Thanks for the advice, guys!
I beat it and it's probably my favorite game on the WiiU.

The ending didn't really bug me all that much (probably because I accidentally spoiled it for myself when I went through this thread), and I still want to keep exploring and doing all the side quests that I didn't finish.

Also, Elma looks rad as an alien. Is she supposed to be part of the same race as Celica though?

I'm really excited to play the Chronicles and some of the Xenogears stuff as I just got a PS2. But that'll have to wait since I'm already up to my eyeballs in games that I got when my friend gave me that system.

Giant robots are cool. The game is good.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

SylvainMustach posted:

Also, Elma looks rad as an alien. Is she supposed to be part of the same race as Celica though?

No, they're not.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Sordas Volantyr posted:

No, they're not.

Ah. Still looks cool.

BleiddWhitefalcon
Jul 30, 2014
I've had this game for a bit but haven't had a chance to sit down and play it. Anything I should know before I get started? And are there still any goons playing that I can add to my friends list?

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Off the top of my head... Get Mechanical to 4 before touching either of the other two skills. Once things open up feel free to just wander off and fart around. Research probes are primarily found in lootable objects on the field. The initial robot really sucks, replace it with a level 30 ASAP. Good bot weapons to keep an eye out for are the Phoenix and the E-Scythe. Don't neglect your ground build.

As for people who still play, I've been popping on now and then to do a bit of side stuff I missed, but not all that often. There's a googledocs at the bottom of the OP, but I don't know how much help that'll be; you might have luck if you try the names lower on the list, but in the end it doesn't really matter.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Also, get used to how ugly the big mechs are, because the light ones suck

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

NTT posted:

Also, get used to how ugly the big mechs are, because the light ones suck

I imagine if you got some SpecUp.EVA and Evasion Drive going you could properly blinktank with a giant robot. Especially the Formula since its overdrive boosts evasion. The Verus has physical reflection and great melee attack, too.

The Lailah Queen is notable for its hp recovery/damage reduction/debuff immunity overdrive that is incredibly sexy.

But the Mastema and Amdusias do have convenient damage up augments for extremely useful weapons (Meredith-brand M-missiles and the Phoenix, respectively) and their defense/hp keeps a lot of lesser enemies at bay.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Anybody have a copy of XBX they don't want/need anymore? My daughter got super excited with testing a disc drive in a laptop and got a disc from the only place she knows and accidentally cracked the game.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I'd think a digitial copy would be ideal in this case

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

NTT posted:

I'd think a digitial copy would be ideal in this case

Don't want to pay full price. I can get the game for $48 at BB but am looking to get it cheaper, especially if there are people that no longer want it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Louisgod posted:

Don't want to pay full price. I can get the game for $48 at BB but am looking to get it cheaper, especially if there are people that no longer want it.

Isn't a digital copy $20? : confused:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Silver Falcon posted:

Isn't a digital copy $20? : confused:

X is $20?!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I think she's talking about the original on the wii u eshop.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Finished the first game on the 3DS. 'Best' JRPG is a hopelessly subjective description, but it's easily top tier & likely in my personal top 5. I wouldn't wish a 100% completion run on my worst enemy, though. It's a funny thing--the designers went out of their way to streamline the process of grinding for rare enemy spawns/drops, etc. so they must have known it would be an issue. Yet evidently it never occurred to them to make it unneccessary. Every time one of those came up, I always thought 'you've got this gigantic game world, give them a consistent spawn point, but in obscure locations.' More encouragement to explore, y'know?

I feel like they could have toned down the massive jumps in hit-rate penalties when fighting higher level monsters as well. Having it more than double when going from 5 levels to 6 levels turns some fights into a joyless slog. The quest that unlocks Fiora's 5th skill branch is by far the worst example of this--a level 98 that dazes you whenever you hit it is just unconsciably tedious design. So why do I still think so highly of the game? Because I loved nearly everything else. There are a lot of really clever subversions to the story and characters, and the world was a joy to explore. I wish more games took lessons from it. Including the sequel, going by the thread discussion.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The original is great because it's this weird fever dream mashup of mecha anime and JRPG story beats. There's no one thing in the story that's particularly novel on its own (except the fact that the world is on the corpses of two titans), but it puts it all together just magically. I don't really consider "subversions" novel, because "subverting anime tropes" is practically an anime trope at this point. Like, the standard Tales series formula at this point is basically "this is a standard shounen anime until we pull the rug out from under once or twice." It's not usually pulled off super well in Tales (or rather, it's done well enough to be entertaining, but not great like Xenoblade was), but I basically expect my JRPGs to subvert their character and story templates at this point.

As for the sidequests. Yeah, if I did a playthrough with my friend like we're doing for the KH games I would do the bare minimum of sidequests necessary to level up and progress. You definitely get a more complete picture of the world, but not really in a way that justifies all the lovely MMO quests. XC has an immense amount of busywork, and I've done some serious grinding in JRPGs before. I initially set out with the desire to do everything and rebuild Colony 6 and hit complete burnout, even with the power of Dolphin and gecko codes at my fingertips.

My only real complaint about the gameplay itself is that spike damage was also an interesting concept that was executed horribly. Sometimes you just run up to an enemy as Seven, immediately die, and say "... oh, spike, huh". I guess the AI is also semi-incompetent, but the game seems pretty balanced around that.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Jsor posted:

My only real complaint about the gameplay itself is that spike damage was also an interesting concept that was executed horribly.

It's like that in XCX, where Xair, the Cerulean Walker is the only notable instance of spike damage because he'll rip apart everything with a field of ether-based death.

Only other thing I can even remember having spike damage is Telethia Plume, and that's only sometimes.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I think a 100% run of XC is completely different when you have one of the massive google docs helping you; you're right that half the quests are still collectathon tedium, but knowing exactly where to get it helps a lot, and half of those quests you will complete automatically just by making sure to accept all those quests your first time into a city hub and actually killing those monsters when you see them. Some of the more satisfying stuff in this game comes from taking your time with the quests and tackling the big side stuff, like the giant tombs, or the extra Monado arts, or the 200 relationships you help to build up and strengthen, or getting some of the absurd power that comes from your 5th tree quests.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's like that in XCX, where Xair, the Cerulean Walker is the only notable instance of spike damage because he'll rip apart everything with a field of ether-based death.

Only other thing I can even remember having spike damage is Telethia Plume, and that's only sometimes.

There's also that Sphinx in Oblivia, pretty sure that's it for notable spike damage though.

They could probably patch spike and brainwash out of the game entirely and I rather doubt anyone would notice.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

NTT posted:

I think a 100% run of XC is completely different when you have one of the massive google docs helping you; you're right that half the quests are still collectathon tedium, but knowing exactly where to get it helps a lot, and half of those quests you will complete automatically just by making sure to accept all those quests your first time into a city hub and actually killing those monsters when you see them. Some of the more satisfying stuff in this game comes from taking your time with the quests and tackling the big side stuff, like the giant tombs, or the extra Monado arts, or the 200 relationships you help to build up and strengthen, or getting some of the absurd power that comes from your 5th tree quests.

Yeah the Xenoblade wiki is a godsend and being able to look up each NPC to find their location easily made questing much more enjoyable. I've played through XB twice and completed virtually all the quests each time and am thinking about doing it again but on the 3DS this time around. loving love that game so much.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One of my favorite things about XC is when Reyn saves the old guy and changes the future. Although that's a super obvious hint for "the power was within you all along" trope that's used everywhere, normally there's some wise sensei that enlightens the character. Here he just does it relatively early in the game, and through out the rest of the game he's like "Yeah, I can do that again."

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Louisgod posted:

X is $20?!

I'm a dumb who was thinking of the original Xenoblade Chronicles. In my defense, I associate you with that game because you were pushing so hard for folks to try it. I bought and played it because of you, anyway.

Bu yeah, sorry about that.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Silver Falcon posted:

I'm a dumb who was thinking of the original Xenoblade Chronicles. In my defense, I associate you with that game because you were pushing so hard for folks to try it. I bought and played it because of you, anyway.

Bu yeah, sorry about that.

Oh no worries at all! I was curious if XBX got knocked down to $20 somewhere and got excited. No harm done.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jsor posted:

My only real complaint about the gameplay itself is that spike damage was also an interesting concept that was executed horribly. Sometimes you just run up to an enemy as Seven, immediately die, and say "... oh, spike, huh". I guess the AI is also semi-incompetent, but the game seems pretty balanced around that.

Spikes should have been something that has some sort of visual indicator on the enemy health bar. Cause if you're playing blind*, you have no way of knowing about a spike until it fucks you over. And sometimes with all the stuff going on in a battle you might not even realize it has a spike until you're already close to death. Though at least you can actually run away from enemies unlike X so you probably won't get killed because of it.

*or if the person guiding is a jerk that intentionally doesn't tell you about them so he can laugh at you :mad:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

If you run into an enemy with a spike effect you're not equipped for, presumably you're meant to run away and shuffle your party setup. To the game's credit that's nearly always an option, but I still feel like it's a cheap excuse for the designers to avoid implementing the actual solution. A finer degree of control over your party would solve 90% of my issues. You don't need direct control, just adding toggles to turn-off auto-attacking, or to concentrate on defense & healing for individual characters would do wonders for the battle system. Make it cost party gauge if you must, but it's a really weird thing to be lacking altogether.

Jsor posted:

I don't really consider "subversions" novel, because "subverting anime tropes" is practically an anime trope at this point. Like, the standard Tales series formula at this point is basically "this is a standard shounen anime until we pull the rug out from under once or twice."
I hear where you're coming from, but it's not the plot that defied my expectations. I grew up playing Xenogears, man. There is no level of batshit insane plot twist that surprises me anymore. I'm talking about character beats. Riki is a good example because based off appearance I would've bet money he was going to be obnoxiously cutesy, naive or even worse, start creeping on the women in the party because that never gets old. But no, he's a happily married father of 6-9 (I swear I found more of his kids every time I went back) who joins up to pay off his debts. Then you make it to Alcamoth and it looks like it's time for The Fantasy Racism Arc, but it turns out Melia's mother is just kind of an rear end in a top hat and nobody else gives a poo poo about human heritage.

And then there's the moment Shulk intervenes in Dunban's attempt to kill Metal Face. I expected that, it's practically JRPG tradition for protagonists who started out seeking vengeance. But here's the thing: he has good, in-character reasons for doing it and not just 'people die when you kill them,' or 'his robot wife & children would be sad.' At that point in the story, he's noticed there's more going on than meets the eye even if he doesn't grasp the whole picture. He actually wants to find out more information so he can reevaluate his position. And it's a great bit of characterization because figuring out the how and why of things is what Shulk does. You even see this alllll the way back at the beginning when he's discussing the Monado's construction and hypothesizing about how to unlock more of its power. Magic sword, you say? gently caress that, Shulk wants to know about alloys and melting points.

Look, I know the word 'subversion' was ruined by TV Tropes but details like these are worth acknowledging, and praising, because even after all this time they're still the exception rather than the rule. And that's a drat shame.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I liked it when Shulk started screaming bloody rageful revenge because up until that point the game had presented him as kind of an easy going dweeb

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The problem I had with Xenoblade Chronicles' story is that it kind of shoots itself in the foot with everything related to Zanza. It sets up a rather understandable antagonist but then replaces him with a pointlessly evil JRPG douchebag god.

CGH
Mar 31, 2010

Louisgod posted:

Anybody have a copy of XBX they don't want/need anymore? My daughter got super excited with testing a disc drive in a laptop and got a disc from the only place she knows and accidentally cracked the game.

Best Buy has it and a few other Wii U games for $24 right now. Part of a Black Friday in July sale I guess.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Jsor posted:

I can't see what the intention was with spike damage. It discourages offense, isn't a factor before the postgame, isn't explained, and the only counter is to stack 100% spike resistance (which is possible by the time you start encountering enemies with spike counters).

Internet Kraken posted:

The problem I had with Xenoblade Chronicles' story is that it kind of shoots itself in the foot with everything related to Zanza. It sets up a rather understandable antagonist but then replaces him with a pointlessly evil JRPG douchebag god.

To be fair, Egil's character wouldn't work without a greater evil to fight. Zanza would be a lot more acceptable if they kept the scenery-chewing giant voice. "Malevolent demiurge Shulk" is just kind of silly.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
It is explained, you just never see it for another 30 hours so you forget. The first monster I found after Makna Forest was a unique in the Mechonis capital that has spike on topple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Microcline posted:

I can't see what the intention was with spike damage. It discourages offense, isn't a factor before the postgame, isn't explained, and the only counter is to stack 100% spike resistance (which is possible by the time you start encountering enemies with spike counters).

There were a few monsters that had spikes throughout the game. I think the intention was to have them force you to use different tactics. For example, a topple spike would mean you can't rely heavily on stunning enemies that have it. But then there are enemies with the counter spike for which the only counterplay is having spike gems or Shulk constantly spamming purge.

quote:

To be fair, Egil's character wouldn't work without a greater evil to fight. Zanza would be a lot more acceptable if they kept the scenery-chewing giant voice. "Malevolent demiurge Shulk" is just kind of silly.

Zanza being so pointlessly evil is just such a jarring writing contrast to the rest of the game though. It'd work better if he had some reason, however misguided, for doing what he does. His only reason though is "gently caress you I wanna live forever". Same goes for the rest of the last act villains.

And if he really is a god that sees himself as being so far above you there's no problem with killing you all, he has no reason to be talking to you in the first place.

• Locked thread