Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

CoolCab posted:

It was against his interest, the "backstabbing" narrative is extremely valuable for his campaign and energizing his anti-establishment support, and the alternative (ie they chicken out) is good for him too. Had he called a leadership contest I doubt very much he'd have made it on the ballot.

Going by the no-confidence vote he would probably have been ok if he'd explicitly resigned, but as I say, that would probably have been a bad move because it would mean vacating the leadership for the duration of the contest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Is there a good capsule explanation of what he did that was so bad for non-Europeans to read?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Spangly A posted:

the chinese system is loving awful and chinese students are renowned in education for being loving terrible at everything that isn't an abacus when they go to european universities. The skills do not translate to the real world or further education

what is wrong with these people?
Good thing then that the plan is to adopt a Chinese-style approach to teaching maths, and that the teaching approach for every other subject will be unaffected.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

ronya posted:

one of the weirder puzzles is how scandinavian and east asian countries with basically totally opposite approaches to teaching maths or hiring teachers can nonetheless both do very well on the PISAs

sadly I am not a pedagogy expert and the field is too politicized by anxious parents for me to really tell what's going on

Mainly it's because the teachers have more time

ookiimarukochan posted:

So is it the "Singapore system" or the "Chinese/Japanese system" - because I can tell you right now that China and Japan aren't known for their in depth class discussions and creative teaching (vs horrible rote learning) and the reason they rank so high on the PISA international tests is that they cheat (I believe that Singapore does too but I'm not sure)

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/south-asian-method-of-teaching-maths-to-be-rolled-out-in-schools

It's nothing to do with the Chinese/Japanese system.

There's a seminar later this week on it that a friend of mine is attending (she's a "top" maths education researcher), it's not Complete Bollocks

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

prefect posted:

Is there a good capsule explanation of what he did that was so bad for non-Europeans to read?
Consistently and spectacularly missed his deficit reduction targets, and had two extremely unpopular/badly thought-out budgets that burned through a lot of the government's political capital.

e: to clarify, those are the reasons that May is likely to have been angry with him.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jul 20, 2016

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Ersatz posted:

Good thing then that the plan is to adopt a Chinese-style approach to teaching maths, and only maths.

It's not the Chinese rote learning approach, how many times does this have to be repeated

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

prefect posted:

Austerity and a failure to invest that led to a stagnant economy that only really succeeded in concentrating more of the country's wealth into the people at the top of the heap.

e: times tables are in this really odd place where yes, they're tedious to learn by rote but you know what would be even more tedious? Having to start counting every time you wanted to work out what nine lots of seven is.

Saying that, there's still plenty of room to incorporate interesting things like pattern recognition while you're learning them. Like hey, eight eights is sixty-four, nine sevens is sixty-three, only one less. Does this pattern appear elsewhere? Well, seven sevens is forty-nine, eight sixes is forty-eight, there's that difference of one again. Keep investigating and playing, see if the kids develop some theories from it.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 20, 2016

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

prefect posted:

He, repeatedly, prioritized reducing national debt and improving the economy through austerity. Austerity is widely considered a discredited economic idea: it doesn't work, it never worked, cutting spending in a downturn economy makes the problem dramatically worse on basically every metric. Because of this our national debt has skyrocketed during his tenure and our recovery has been weaker then basically everyone else's (the Obama administration, by contrast, didn't have their heads up their asses and as such prospered). That's just the economic argument, the social impact of austerity has been horrific, and countless lives have been made nastier, more brutish and shorter due to his actions.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

prefect posted:

Heavy and sustained cuts in response to a recession, against the advice of more or less every economic authority on the planet.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

ACME conference
Keynote speech "On learning from one's mistakes" delivered by Mr. W.E. Coyote.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
I don't think most of the tories really care about Osbourne being a pro-austerity ideologue, he burned his bridges and hosed the ashes with his EU ref behaviour and threats of a revenge budget mostly.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

LemonDrizzle posted:

Consistently and spectacularly missed his deficit reduction targets, and had two extremely unpopular/badly thought-out budgets that burned through a lot of the government's political capital.

going by his public statements he also didn't seem to really understand that his methods were dumb and not working, and so never had a plan B. and also claiming credit for an improving economy that was going to improve anyway 5-10 years after 2007. he was just pretty useless overall tbh.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's not the Chinese rote learning approach, how many times does this have to be repeated

The comments on that DM article certainly think it is. They are all cheering for a return to Dickensian school systems.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Puntification posted:

I don't think most of the tories really care about Osbourne being a pro-austerity ideologue, he burned his bridges and hosed the ashes with his EU ref behaviour and threats of a revenge budget mostly.

They do in that his actions made the economic situation dramatically worse. Tories aren't dumb, they're going to punish a lack of results like anyone else: he'd been swearing up and down that he was reducing the debt every single year while it climbed higher and higher.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

i think the very highest praise that can be given to george osborne is that people in 2016 aren't wheelbarrowing piles of five pound notes to tescos to buy their tikka masala ready meals

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

qhat posted:

i think the very highest praise that can be given to george osborne is that people in 2016 aren't wheelbarrowing piles of five pound notes to tescos to buy their tikka masala ready meals

right, instead they just starve

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CoolCab posted:

He, repeatedly, prioritized reducing national debt and improving the economy through austerity. Austerity is widely considered a discredited economic idea: it doesn't work, it never worked, cutting spending in a downturn economy makes the problem dramatically worse on basically every metric. Because of this our national debt has skyrocketed during his tenure and our recovery has been weaker then basically everyone else's (the Obama administration, by contrast, didn't have their heads up their asses and as such prospered). That's just the economic argument, the social impact of austerity has been horrific, and countless lives have been made nastier, more brutish and shorter due to his actions.

My copy of Mark Blyth's book arrived last week, but I haven't started in on it yet. Thanks for the explanations, everyone. :tipshat:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Helen Highwater posted:

The comments on that DM article certainly think it is. They are all cheering for a return to Dickensian school systems.

I don't know who to trust, education researchers or the Daily Mail

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
The press releases and experts are saying its not the Chinese system oh well guess I will believe the Daily Mail instead, caning is also to come back.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I didn't say that it was.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I'm not saying that the Daily loving Mail has the right of it, I'm just pointing out the glee in the comments about an (apparent) return to Traditional Schooling.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The Daily Mail don't actually want actual innovation in maths teaching, they just want kids to be mindlessly repeating "two twos are four, three twos are six, four twos are eight".

Rote learning is the absolute worst way to teach mathematics and is a key reason on why so much of society is functionally innumerate.

There is a reason why so much of first-year undergraduate maths degrees are learning the stuff you learnt in secondary from first principles or stuff you should've been taught in secondary but you weren't because it takes nine years in this loving current system to teach kids how to do basic mathematical operations.

Stuff like logarithms and geometry are beautiful but people hate them because of how they were taught them.

:smith:

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
Guys guys https://twitter.com/parliawint/status/755719690891264000

Edit:

TinTower posted:

The Daily Mail don't actually want actual innovation in maths teaching, they just want kids to be mindlessly repeating "two twos are four, three twos are six, four twos are eight".

Rote learning is the absolute worst way to teach mathematics and is a key reason on why so much of society is functionally innumerate.

There is a reason why so much of first-year undergraduate maths degrees are learning the stuff you learnt in secondary from first principles or stuff you should've been taught in secondary but you weren't because it takes nine years in this loving current system to teach kids how to do basic mathematical operations.

Stuff like logarithms and geometry are beautiful but people hate them because of how they were taught them.

:smith:
Learning things like times tables can be really useful so long as its combined with actually understanding.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

CoolCab posted:

They do in that his actions made the economic situation dramatically worse. Tories aren't dumb, they're going to punish a lack of results like anyone else: he'd been swearing up and down that he was reducing the debt every single year while it climbed higher and higher.

They never actually cared about debt except as a way of justifying cutting public services. His economic management consistently benefited the richest at the expense of the rest of society, he was operating as intended and they were happy to let him carry on until his faction and him personally lost favour with the party.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

CoolCab posted:

right, instead they just starve

Feature, not a bug

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Angela Eagle's CLP has been suspended for bullying.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Who, exactly, is the official responsible for suspending all these CLPs? And how could we replace them?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Hm, yes, this is a move that will help lead to a stable and unified Labour party

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

prefect posted:

he didn't share the coke

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

nothing to seehere posted:

Who, exactly, is the official responsible for suspending all these CLPs? And how could we replace them?

Iain McNicol, the NEC general secretary, who's been leading the charge to ratfuck Corbyn.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

Imagine the head of your countries budget never said anything other than "we need to make cuts" and "live within our means". Imagine this man had no education in economics and got the job because he was friends with the PM. Imagine this man being increasingly smug while the country fell apart around him and the Tory base actually started to get nervous about the scale of the cuts. Now imagine 7+ years of this poo poo while every month the news goes "wowie zowie, looks like growth forcasts will have to be lowered again!!!!!!".

Tl'dr he was the architect of the UK's austerity program that produced little to no economic growth and what there was has been more than wiped out by brexit.

Baron Corbyn posted:

Power play bullshit. Showing who's boss etc. They're under the common misunderstanding that if you just keep whipping your enemy they'll give up and not tear your loving arms off.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jul 20, 2016

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

LemonDrizzle posted:

e: to clarify, those are the reasons that May is likely to have been angry with him.

i mean, its not like May consistently achieved her immigration targets either

the budget thing is on him 100%

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Malcolm XML posted:

i mean, its not like May consistently achieved her immigration targets either

the budget thing is on him 100%

no, but she also didn't threaten an emergency nuclear option in the case of brexit at the scorn of her own party.

although, i won't say she didn't deliver a fully nuclear budget.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Baron Corbyn posted:

There is a bunch of drama at my CLP, which has effectively been put in remedial measures despite the fact that no Labour party official from outside the CLP will actually tell us what we've done wrong (which is against official Labour party rules, you have to inform a CLP why they are being put in extraordinary measures as soon as it's put in place). The actual reason appears to be that we ran a left wing candidate against the incumbent Blairite for a councilor seat.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I remember my really good Grade 5 teacher who taught us to "think about the stuff you're about to do" in the most hilariously cruel way.

Here's a test with a bunch of super-easy questions/activities, make sure you read it all first! Pfft like I need to do that.

Final Question: Now that you've read it all don't do anything on this test or you fail.

:argh:

A Good Lesson.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Puntification posted:

They never actually cared about debt except as a way of justifying cutting public services. His economic management consistently benefited the richest at the expense of the rest of society, he was operating as intended and they were happy to let him carry on until his faction and him personally lost favour with the party.

They probably aren't that fussed about debt in the abstract (well, I'm sure some are, but in general) but if you justify spending cuts for something that both demonstratively does not work AND in the face of evidence you double down on that creates a public backlash and makes their long term goals less achievable (ie tax credits). I agree they would have been happy to let him keep going if it was working: it wasn't, they were forced into several embarrassing backdowns and long-grass-kicking exercises recently.

The revenge budget, other then being a spectacularly inadvisable piece of political theatre, was not at all inconsistent with his chancellorship: economy bad? CUT CUT CUT. It just crystallised and emboldened a faction that had been in the party for some time: a party that will happily permit deception or malice, but draws the line at blatant incompetence.

Well...eventually.

Pedricko
Apr 7, 2008
So, I've just spent my £25 to get my vote in the Labour leadership, do I wait for something in the post? I didn't even get an email confirmation

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Paul.Power posted:

e: times tables are in this really odd place where yes, they're tedious to learn by rote but you know what would be even more tedious? Having to start counting every time you wanted to work out what nine lots of seven is.

Saying that, there's still plenty of room to incorporate interesting things like pattern recognition while you're learning them. Like hey, eight eights is sixty-four, nine sevens is sixty-three, only one less. Does this pattern appear elsewhere? Well, seven sevens is forty-nine, eight sixes is forty-eight, there's that difference of one again. Keep investigating and playing, see if the kids develop some theories from it.
I hated times tables at middle school, but I did figure out that the 2 and 5 (and 1 and 10 obvs) times tables are easy as hell to learn by rote, because they follow nice patterns, and that you can make any other out of them until memorized.

What's 6 x 8? I didn't know or care, but I knew what 5 x 8 is and I knew what 1 x 8 is, and that 5n + n = 6n held generally true at least across the times tables, which made intro to algebra make intuitive sense when it was introduced later, because it was a pattern fitting exercise that I was already doing in my head through hating times tables.

McDragon posted:

he didn't share the coke
He cut the budget to border control and encouraged money laundering machines in the corner of every bookies, what more could he do short of legalizing it, which is beyond his powers?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Baron Corbyn posted:

Specifically for bullying Eagle, by threatening to deselect her. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Pedricko posted:

So, I've just spent my £25 to get my vote in the Labour leadership, do I wait for something in the post? I didn't even get an email confirmation
I got an email saying it's being processed and I'll get another when it's approved

• Locked thread