Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Last Celebration posted:

I'm at the last term (I think, where the term project is literally making canned food) of Altier EschaLogy and...wow. That first miniboss in the last dungeon sure is a kick in the teeth after like 85% of the game beforehand being "how fast can I kill these guys.":stare: Hsving half HP isn't helping matters either.

Some of the jobs in the canned food term simply aren't supposed to be doable in that time. As long as you make enough food, in the post-term period you can finish up any jobs you haven't done yet. So make sure you get that done and you can handle the super-bosses afterwards in the year-long final section.

But yeah, you need to start making stuff with a plan rather than just putting together whatever with whatever ingredients; finding relics can help a lot because they often have unique traits you can never get via gathering. It's possible to make items that will never run out, or weapons that do a ton of bonus damage whenever you attack; just experiment and remember to boost the amount you get whenever you forge or smelt new materials. If you can make a bunch of philosopher's stones with good traits on them you can pretty much make any weapon or armor out of that, given enough steps. Also, since you can use metal weapons as metal for other weapons, you can multiply the cool sword you're making for Logy and get those traits on a bunch of other peoples' weapons too.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jul 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Verranicus posted:

On the subject of the Symmetra skin, people need to get over themselves and stop looking for things to be offended over.

No, people have the right to be offended and voice their concern y'know freedom of speech and all that.

a medical mystery posted:

You can enjoy Planescape just fine without doing so but trying to work out the different layers of what it's trying to communicate like when rewatching something like Twin Peaks is a big part of what made it satisfying for me. I liked it a lot but it wasn't until my third playthrough running through different choices that I came to appreciate what it was trying (not always succeeding, mind) to do

Planescape is neat in that all of those seemingly useless sidequests you're doing open up in the end to reveal that you did all this poo poo before. I felt lukewarm about Planescape at first, I didn't finish it until about 2009 or something, and it was okay at first. I don't hate the combat like most people, it's uninteresting but easy and inoffensive. And the fetch quests are dumb but the writing is good.

Then the game pulls off my favorite plot trope where the "beginning is the end" and it's this huge revelatory moment where all these puzzle pieces scattered about suddenly come together and all those seemingly unimportant NPCs who ask to find a random item or tell a somber tale of how some stranger ruined their life years ago makes sense.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
why the hell is k cancel in i am setsuna. it can be one handed otherwise

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Relin posted:

why the hell is k cancel in i am setsuna. it can be one handed otherwise

just remap the keys you dummy

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Setsuna looks OK but it seems overpriced. I'm craving an rpg on PC but whenever I look it seems like I'd be better off emulating classics.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

al-azad posted:

No, people have the right to be offended and voice their concern y'know freedom of speech and all that.
yeah and honestly i can totally get why some dude would be offended that some white dudes in loving irvine, california just grabbed iconography from his religion to bum 75 cents off of nerds. blizzard isn't exactly tackling this sort of subject with nuance or depth. even smt at least seems like it's read a book or two.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It made me want to play FF4 DS version and maybe finally get past the first couple hours of Trails.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and yeah just play trails of cold steel or something instead of setsuna

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
trails in the sky is probably the way better turn-based combat jrpg on pc

hell, you could also even get grandia 2 instead, that's on steam

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also megadimension neptunia vii

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm liking I Am Setsuna a lot, but I'm really in it for the aesthetic and the overall tone of the experience. It's fun to play, too, but a lot of decent-to-good JRPGs can claim that. I think if I wanted a real meaty JRPG experience I'd look elsewhere, but I feel like I'm going to get my $40 worth out of this. It's one of those things where each individual element is nothing special but the overall package works pretty well.

I have no doubt there are better JRPGs available on PC, and probably for cheaper, but I dunno, I'm liking this one at least. I think I'd categorize it as a really good "just chill out for a bit" game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

20 sounds like a decent deal for it, 40 is absurd for how little the game has outside of the main story.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Setsuna is a game I'll grab during the Christmas sales. It's neat, but I don't think it'd be worth what they're asking for right now.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I Am Setsuna is a good game, better than any of the Compile Heart tripe despite what their fan club in this thread will tell you.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tae posted:

20 sounds like a decent deal for it, 40 is absurd for how little the game has outside of the main story.

I mean, I've paid $60 for shorter games so that doesn't really bug me. Unless I Am Setsuna is secretly like 6 hours long and I'm already halfway through I don't feel like I'm going to feel ripped off.

I went back recently and looked at my last do-all-sidequests Chrono Trigger save file and it was like 27 hours so :shrug:. Granted that's not me getting every optional ending in NG+.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

How would you compare Setsuna to something like Radiant Historia which is also channeling Chrono Trigger but focusing more on the story aspect?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Endorph posted:

and yeah just play trails of cold steel or something instead of setsuna

Not on PC...yet? I dunno if there was any word if it was coming to PC

The Colonel posted:

trails in the sky is probably the way better turn-based combat jrpg on pc

Undertale

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

al-azad posted:

How would you compare Setsuna to something like Radiant Historia which is also channeling Chrono Trigger but focusing more on the story aspect?

I played Radiant Historia a good while ago but I'll try to keep the comparison in mind the rest of the way through Setsuna. So far I feel like I'm probably going to prefer Setsuna's atmosphere/story (as predictable as I'm told it is) more than Radiant Historia's, but I adored Radiant Historia's combat and Setsuna's is really nothing new.

Both of them have outright fantastic soundtracks, too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Verranicus posted:

I Am Setsuna is a good game, better than any of the Compile Heart tripe despite what their fan club in this thread will tell you.
maybe sometimes people have different opinions and views

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Radiant HIstoria is a very lengthy game even without all the sidequests and stuff, but with it is a very meaty game.

I think someone said RH was hard to find, but they regularly sell at 20-25 at gamestop or ebay official stores online.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

al-azad posted:

Radiant Historia is better.

Endorph posted:

maybe sometimes people have different opinions and views

No those games are just bad.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, RH is really good and absolutely worth playing. I should probably play it again sometime, actually.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think Radiant Historia doesn't have the same feet at CT but unlike I Am Setsuna it has its own distinctive ideas and concepts that make it stand out.

I Am Setsuna is like the flavorless yogurt of JRPGs. It's entirely competent at what it is supposed to do but not an iota more.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

id play megadimension neptunia vii before radiant historia honestly, rh has neat combat ideas but by the end of the game the balance is all over the place, and the plot also has some neat ideas that are let down by inconsistency in how time travel works and situations that are kind of forced

and i am setsuna honestly feels like a really solid rpgmaker game with a slightly higher budget.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Lol what kind of a world is this when people are saying Nepnep games filled with dank memes and ~moe~ are better than legit good RPGs like Radiant Historia and Setsuna. We don't deserve good JRPGs.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I can't even really comment on Neptunia games because I'm really turned off by just about everything about their presentation and tone so I've never even played one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

the plot also has some neat ideas that are let down by inconsistency in how time travel works and situations that are kind of forced

That is because Radiant Historia isn't about time travel in the traditional sense. It has a pretty specific idea about time-and-dimension travel and it actually sticks to it very closely.

Verranicus posted:

Lol what kind of a world is this when people are saying Nepnep games filled with dank memes and ~moe~ are better than legit good RPGs like Radiant Historia and Setsuna. We don't deserve good JRPGs.

Setsuna genuinely isn't a good RPG.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Harrow posted:

I can't even really comment on Neptunia games because I'm really turned off by just about everything about their presentation and tone so I've never even played one.

You have better taste than most of this thread.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I liked RH, but you can really feel the project straining against its budget when you revisit that desert encampment for the fourth or fifth time. The combat wears pretty thin too, especially with all the lategame bosses that toss out placement manipulation by plopping down a 3x3 monster.

Motto fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 20, 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I liked Radiant Historia until I tried to 100% it

In order to do most of the sidequests you have to warp to a part of the game that has like forced 20 minutes of talking and then a Bossfight and it's terrible did nobody realize I wouldn't want to do this 20 times in a row???

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

corn in the bible posted:

just remap the keys you dummy
didnt see it on first pass because its not under settings because reasons. also pretty sure it doesnt tell you what key brings up the menu during the tutorial (j)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the combat in rh got really boring and it was annoying how you kept ending up with really underleveled party members

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Great as RH was the combat was easily the weakest part of it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Harrow posted:

Megadimension Neptunia VII is the only one in the series I'd call a good game. Not great by any means, but the first game I'd comfortably say is good instead of mediocre or outright terrible. The rest are repetitive grindfests that you put up with because you like the characters and humor. If you're not a fan of anime style humor and video game references though, you'll despise the games like Verranicus does. It's a series that isn't for everyone.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My real complaint about Setsuna is in its ability system. I feel like it steps right up to the line of doing something fun and cool and then backs away.

You gather monster pieces and you can use them to make "spritnite," which are basically materia but with only one ability each. The problem is that, with the exception of support spritnite (which seem to fill the role you'd expect accessories to fill), each can only be used by one character. So I'm not really sure why I'm able to craft multiple copies of Cyclone or Cure when they can only ever be used by one character. Or why I'm crafting them at all instead of learning them some other way. I guess they want you to pick and choose which techs each character has available at any given time, but eh, it's sort of uninspiring. I wasn't necessarily expecting to make any character be able to be good at anything, I just thought there'd be some sort of ability to mix things up with spritnite that isn't there.

I also think talismans, the game's equivalent of armor, are pretty boring, because the overwhelming majority of them don't give you any passive bonus at all, only differing in what random "flux" bonuses you can get when you use momentum in combat and what spritnite slots they have (though they don't differ much on that).

I still like it more than most people in this thread seem to, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

voltcatfish posted:

I liked Radiant Historia until I tried to 100% it

In order to do most of the sidequests you have to warp to a part of the game that has like forced 20 minutes of talking and then a Bossfight and it's terrible did nobody realize I wouldn't want to do this 20 times in a row???

I 100%'d Radiant Historia and I genuinely don't know which part you mean by this. Are you sure there wasn't another timeline node you could have jumped to?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Harrow posted:

I still like it more than most people in this thread seem to, though.

I like it but the constant pointless dialog choices are annoying me.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

no theres a fair amount of side quests that require a lot of skipping through dialogue and walking to reach like the 3 or so that have parts that take place while you infiltrate the city with the beastmen musical troupe and all of the ones at that little village that you get to after a city gets set on fire

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

id play a thousand nep games before i played another chrono trigger-inspired rpg

heck id play a thousand nep games before i played chrono trigger again, chrono trigger was never all that great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

The best RPG is Thousand Year Door, end of discussion close the thread.