Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

You don't get to be a cool goon unless you constantly reaffirm "actually (popular thing) is bad :smug:"
dude, im not trying to be a cool goon here. I'm posting about how much I love neptunia. I'm just legitimately giving my opinions on chrono trigger.

Indecisive posted:

If you don't like chrono trigger I don't even know why you are in this thread because you obviously don't like rpgs
I love RPGs. They are literally all I play besides fighting games.

Why do people do this crap? I just don't like a popular thing and like a thing not everybody likes, why are people trying to shout me down? I've never once gone 'heh chrono trigger is poo poo and you're poo poo for liking it' I've just said that it's average and the genre has kind of outgrown it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Harrow posted:

Speaking of JRPGs I've never really played: am I missing out on anything by not having played any of the Atelier games? I'm considering grabbing the Vita version of Escha/Logy once I finish Setsuna.

i've never played them but they have really beautiful and relaxing soundtracks so i'm gonna say, yes

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Wow Neptunia looks horrible. I'm not playing that.

I tried playing Trails but the world really didn't grab me. My favourite JRPGs all tried something a bit different (Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, FF7, Persona 4) to the standard fantasy stuff.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I thought it was neat that if you had Frog in your party for the rematch he fights him one-on-one.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Harrow posted:

Speaking of JRPGs I've never really played: am I missing out on anything by not having played any of the Atelier games? I'm considering grabbing the Vita version of Escha/Logy once I finish Setsuna.
The Atelier games are cute and chill but probably not for everyone; it depends on what you're looking for out of a game. They're a very relaxing, slice-of-life experience without a ton of difficulty, and the battle systems tend to be pretty basic and secondary to the crafting.

e: Be prepared, the Vita versions of Ayesha and Eschatology (and assumedly Shallie) run like slideshows at times, they are not fantastic ports.

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 20, 2016

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Harrow posted:

They are cute/girly/anime and involve a lot of crafting while the actual RPG aspects and combat are put in almost as an afterthought. My wife likes them a lot, I do not care for them. Still better than Compile Heart games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Harrow posted:

the atelier games have really fun crafting, basically extraneous plots, and fun casts of characters. They're pretty chill games that are mostly about bumming around with your anime pals and making pies and also explosives.

Escha and Logy is a good place to start since it has pretty good combat also, even if it's really easy to cheese.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm on board with chill RPGs so that sounds pretty fun. I'll give Escha and Logy a shot, then.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Verranicus posted:

They are cute/girly/anime and involve a lot of crafting while the actual RPG aspects and combat are put in almost as an afterthought. My wife likes them a lot, I do not care for them. Still better than Compile Heart games.

wow i'm surprised you have a wife with how whiny you are

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Atelier is a series I want PC ports of even though I know Koei-Tecmo will gently caress them up horribly and they'd be near unplayable on PC. They are some of the most chill JRPGs I've ever played though.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Endorph posted:

Why do people do this crap? I just don't like a popular thing and like a thing not everybody likes, why are people trying to shout me down? I've never once gone 'heh chrono trigger is poo poo and you're poo poo for liking it' I've just said that it's average and the genre has kind of outgrown it.

It's hard for some people to just say they disagree completely. Like I'm doing now. Chrono Trigger is great.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Phantasium posted:

It's hard for some people to just say they disagree completely. Like I'm doing now. Chrono Trigger is great.
im glad you like chrono trigger a lot

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

voltcatfish posted:

wow i'm surprised you have a wife with how whiny you are

While she isn't as into RPGs as I am she also thinks the Neptunia games are terrible and we make fun of her brother who owns all of them pretty much whenever we get the chance.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I like Chrono Trigger and Neptunia games

Take that atheists

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Verranicus posted:

While she isn't as into RPGs as I am she also thinks the Neptunia games are terrible and we make fun of her brother who owns all of them pretty much whenever we get the chance.

Her brother sounds cooler than you guys

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Her brother sounds cooler than you guys

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i am sad most of the good jrpg devs are dead and the leavings have become the new standard of quality

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i wouldn't call trails in the sky standard fantasy stuff, it's more that more grounded kind of fantasy world entering into magi-science industrial revolution. it's less obvious at the start because you start out in a quiet old village that's pretty far off from all of it, but you definitely see more of it as you play through the game and i think that's kind of the point, since part of estelle's development as a character is seeing more of the world, so starting her out in an area where virtually none of what's currently happening in the world has any relevance sets that up

the later trails games definitely show it off more right off the bat, what with the crossbell arc all being about being a cop in a pretty high-tech city, relative to the setting, and cold steel taking place in the empire, which is way a much more militaristic and technologically advanced country than liberl

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 20, 2016

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
The Atelier series has the most latent potential for good combat mechanics of maybe any turn based JRPG series that has ever existed but keeps paring things back or shying away from what it could be. That's not even a criticism really given it makes sense for the games they're trying to make but it's still a little disappointing on some level.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Relin posted:

didnt see it on first pass because its not under settings because reasons. also pretty sure it doesnt tell you what key brings up the menu during the tutorial (j)

there's an option to remap controls on the startup options screen too

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Relin posted:

i am sad most of the good jrpg devs are dead and the leavings have become the new standard of quality

It's kind of weird to be able to be picky about JRPGs again after so much time.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I wanted to like Trails in the Sky but the pacing was so loving slow I couldn't take it.

Also, the combat was bad.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

wateyad posted:

The Atelier series has the most latent potential for good combat mechanics of maybe any turn based JRPG series that has ever existed but keeps paring things back or shying away from what it could be. That's not even a criticism really given it makes sense for the games they're trying to make but it's still a little disappointing on some level.

E&L and Shallie both had pretty good combat mechanics, but Sophie was definitely a step back in a lot of ways

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Relin posted:

tbh i am of the opinion that modern jrpg devs are way better than older devs

trails is great, modern tales has some speedbumps but is still generally solid, nep is constantly improving, and i wasn't big on p4 but i liked p3 and p5 looks great.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

not counting atelier because atelier has been around since like the ps1

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Harrow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVcc16o0SaY

yeah you're missing out, theyre really good. e&l and ayesha are the best ones so you'd be picking a good starting point, too

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i havent played chrono trigget

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Davincie posted:

Unacceptable

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

The Colonel posted:

i wouldn't call trails in the sky standard fantasy stuff, it's more that more grounded kind of fantasy world entering into magi-science industrial revolution. it's less obvious at the start because you start out in a quiet old village that's pretty far off from all of it, but you definitely see more of it as you play through the game and i think that's kind of the point, since part of estelle's development as a character is seeing more of the world, so starting her out in an area where virtually none of what's currently happening in the world has any relevance sets that up

the later trails games definitely show it off more right off the bat, what with the crossbell arc all being about being a cop in a pretty high-tech city, relative to the setting, and cold steel taking place in the empire, which is way a much more militaristic and technologically advanced country than liberl

Yeah I never got past the first town and stopped playing after the first starter quest where you have to kill stuff in a sewer...I'll give it another shot because it does seem like a decent (and decently translated) game.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Sakurazuka posted:

E&L and Shallie both had pretty good combat mechanics, but Sophie was definitely a step back in a lot of ways

Yeah, the Mana-Khemia / Atleier Shallie combat system is one of the best out there but there's a lot further that it could be taken.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Honestly, the Dusk series (Atelier Ayesha, E/L and Shallie) are extremely solid. Shallie's the weakest of the lot but still not a bad game and probably has the most refined combat system of the three. Each one is different enough they're all worth playing though people have their favorites. E/L is usually held up as the most accessible of the lot but it isn't like they're bad.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Davincie posted:

More like Chrono Triggered amiright?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah the start to trails in the sky is extremely slow, and the entire first game is mostly just bumming around, talking to people, and doing pretty normal hero stuff. There's a band of criminals you have to deal with and stuff but it's not exactly an epic world spanning adventure. It's not a very fast-paced game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i would say Atelier E&L is the best jrpg of that generation

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfuEYiH4KRY

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm the weird outlier who likes Totori the most out of the PS3 games, though I'm not sure why.

wateyad posted:

Yeah, the Mana-Khemia / Atleier Shallie combat system is one of the best out there but there's a lot further that it could be taken.

I'm also the weirdo who wants another Mana Khemia game :smith:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think all the bumming around in trails fc is fun, because estelle is like the perfect character for keeping any kind of energy up during all of it

i really like the contrast between trails fc and sc because fc fits estelle's super relaxed personality, and sc fits her growing up a bit and showing just how serious and awesome she can get after how she grew during the first game

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
loving sega is basically a pc company and they still won't port resonance of fate to steam

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U52f_21-AE8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I'm the weird outlier who likes Totori the most out of the PS3 games, though I'm not sure why.

Because Totori is the cutest protagonist?