Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The real question is, is the Great Wall's defensive bonus obsoleted by China's research or by the invader's research? It was super dumb in Civ5 how you could carefully avoid obsoleting your Great Wall bonus by directing your research away from...what was it, Dynamite?

True but you can't avoid Dynamite forever, and the longer spent doing so the longer you miss out on the immense power of artillery. So in that sense it's obsoleted by the passage of time.

It is a thoroughly dumb mechanic though. The wall should be obsoleted by the attributes of modern units trying to bust it, not some arbitrary bonus being removed (let alone removed by the wall-owner's own tech progress!)

Also, isn't it the only thing in the game that is formally obsoleted? In Civ 4 many (if not all) wonders got obsoleted at some stage, their bonuses no longer applying. The Great Wall, I think, is the only thing that kept this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Also, isn't it the only thing in the game that is formally obsoleted? In Civ 4 many (if not all) wonders got obsoleted at some stage, their bonuses no longer applying. The Great Wall, I think, is the only thing that kept this.

A better way to handle it would've been to grant all units a free promotion upon researching Dynamite that lets them ignore the Wall's effects.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Obviously China should just replace the great wall with the Maginot line after concrete is researched.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Aerdan posted:

A better way to handle it would've been to grant all units a free promotion upon researching Dynamite that lets them ignore the Wall's effects.

That seems like clutter to me, no other promotion is so specific and you'd get it even if you never saw the Wall. How about the -1MP malus only applies to pre-modern era units? That way you couldn't Dynamite your way to wall-busting cavalry somehow: the units themselves have to be advanced enough to beat the wall.

Still, I think the best solution is give the wall a better bonus. It makes no sense that a city outside of the wall gets its bonus anyway. The whole thing is a bloody shambles!

Irregardlessly, I am loving pumped about building my own great wall piece by piece :allears:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hopefully you start on a peninsula and found the DPRC

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

The leaders are looking pretty ok so far, but Qin Shi Huang looks like someone straight from Constructor. It's pretty funny, actually.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Negrostrike posted:

The leaders are looking pretty ok so far, but Qin Shi Huang looks like someone straight from Constructor. It's pretty funny, actually.

Great, now I can't stop imagining a more suitable voice for him. :allears:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Yeah I like the overall art style but some of these Leaders are straight up cartoons

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

At least it's not anime

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
yet

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

First I'm going to download the mod to remove all the non-white leaders.
Next I'm going to download the mod that makes all remaining leaders anime.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Human Crouton posted:

Then the nude female leaders mod. Especially Maria Theresa.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

but japan is non-white...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
So are we going to argue about the leader models every time a new civ is introduced? Because we're, what is it, 4 for 4 so far.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

So are we going to argue about the leader models every time a new civ is introduced? Because we're, what is it, 4 for 4 so far.

Nerds hate change. So yeah probably.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Drink whenever someone calls them "cartoonish".

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Firaxis' DLC model is cartoonishly evil

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Jay Rust posted:

Firaxis' DLC model is cartoonishly evil

dlc tilesets

base game is featureless hexes

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Better remove all the women too, or replace them with huge-titted schoolgirls.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Why stop at just the women?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Wasn't there some kickstarter that had like World War 2 tanks redesigned as pneumatic schoolgirls?

EVERY UNIT. FROM THE WARRIOR TO THE X-COM SQUAD.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

5. The only one I really hate is Qin Shi Huang.

My real problem is how inconsistent they are. Look at Hojo compared to him. It's jarring.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The real question is, is the Great Wall's defensive bonus obsoleted by China's research or by the invader's research? It was super dumb in Civ5 how you could carefully avoid obsoleting your Great Wall bonus by directing your research away from...what was it, Dynamite?

Honestly, I don't think it needs to be obsoleted anymore. The fact that it takes up District space is rather limiting in itself. Sure it probably provides a defensive bonus to units there and can halt movement, but I imagine it's a static bonus and the gold, culture and tourism gains it gets would be outpaced by more focused Districts.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

5. The only one I really hate is Qin Shi Huang.

My real problem is how inconsistent they are. Look at Hojo compared to him. It's jarring.

I'm not a big fan of the eyes but the hat thing is animated really nicely.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

Why stop at just the women?

Actually just mod out all graphics. Text-based interface only, gimme those tables. :colbert:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Perestroika posted:

Actually just mod out all graphics. Text-based interface only, gimme those tables. :colbert:

Lol look at this casual babby who needs all his data neatly organised in tables :rolleyes:

Just gimme all the data in a pile, I'll sort it out like a real man

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Lol look at this casual babby who needs all his data neatly organised in tables :rolleyes:

Just gimme all the data in a pile, I'll sort it out like a real man

Sure, here's a dump of the contents of RAM.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Peas and Rice posted:

Wasn't there some kickstarter that had like World War 2 tanks redesigned as pneumatic schoolgirls?

EVERY UNIT. FROM THE WARRIOR TO THE X-COM SQUAD.

Speaking of XCOM if they bring back the XCOM Squad unit they need to make future-era barbarians into Sectoids.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Changing the game so that you have to unite humanity in order to fight off an alien invasion would unironically fix the end game.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Rexides posted:

Changing the game so that you have to unite humanity in order to fight off an alien invasion would unironically fix the end game.

It could be awesome, it could be like a victory condition that kinda combines many victory conditions: diplomacy (convincing civs to join the XCOM effort), tech (discovering the techs required to fight the alien), expansion (forcing civs to join, if they dont diplomatic)

And it could give the game an endboss if you actually had to fight the invasion

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Perestroika posted:

Kittens Game is, effectively, what you're after.

http://bloodrizer.ru/games/kittens/

It uses many names and references from Civ 5. I warn you, though, it's very time-consuming and 'grindy'.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Looks pretty accurate to most depictions of Qin:

Who is apparently also a moogle.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Elias_Maluco posted:

It could be awesome, it could be like a victory condition that kinda combines many victory conditions: diplomacy (convincing civs to join the XCOM effort), tech (discovering the techs required to fight the alien), expansion (forcing civs to join, if they dont diplomatic)

And it could give the game an endboss if you actually had to fight the invasion

You know how you could load your Civ V saves into a new game of Civ: Beyond Earth?
Civ VI should let you load your saves into a new game of XCOM :v:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Fister Roboto posted:

Looks pretty accurate to most depictions of Qin:

Who is apparently also a moogle.

I like the dog that is sneaking up behind him to find out how that angry pearl got trapped in that iced taco.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

canyoneer posted:

You know how you could load your Civ V saves into a new game of Civ: Beyond Earth?

Wait, what?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

I am wrong. They added the "go beyond earth" icon to science victories before BE was released, and speculation was that one could continue their save.
But instead it just takes you to the store page.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rexides posted:

That's literally what the dremor invasion DLC did for Warlock.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Sure, here's a dump of the contents of RAM.
I don't even see the machine code. All I see is Hammurabi, Pyramids, catapult.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
That end game Xcom challenge sounds pretty much perfect.

Anyway, these new leader screens are wonderful. Such a relief after the weird statue people of V! (Tilts head, bends finger, raises voice slightly)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Tree Bucket posted:

That end game Xcom challenge sounds pretty much perfect.

Anyway, these new leader screens are wonderful. Such a relief after the weird statue people of V! (Tilts head, bends finger, raises voice slightly)

The art sytle is nice mix of Civ 4 (which I thought I was too cartoony) and Civ 5 which was way too stiff. To actually looks ok