Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
:shrug:

The second try (which had like a 20 minute queue, even as a tank) failed, because one of the healers got thrown off the area at the first possible opportunity, and the second one couldn't keep up in the end. We wiped once, then everyone left.

back into the queue again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Huh, I got really confused while playing, 'cause an iphone commercial came on using the bit from the start of this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhXfkXNZ1TI

Compare to the Azys Lla music (at 52 seconds in case that doesn't work): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYOSYDBJyZg&t=52s

Not quite exact, but that's kinda funny.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Palace of the Dead is boring presently, but at least it's boring that you can take in relatively small chunks so it's not overwhelming like the 90 minute slog of diadem. I do hope they build upon it and make it much more interesting when they add the rest of the 150 floors they want to add. I think a mix of time constraints and wanting to play it safe with nothing too crazy kept them from experimenting much with 1-50, but I suspect they'll be feeling a bit more comfortable doing so in later additions.

Truga posted:

People quit on Ravana?

Why would anyone sane do that lmao

I had a Ravana run last night for trial roulette on my WHM that managed to die twice despite there being like, one newbie. DPS was bad, as always, and the tank kept goddamn pointing Ravana at the group during the adds phase. On the winning run, 3 different people managed to get knocked off the edge by pillars of heaven.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
That's just more time to listen to the epic music

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I got a chance to play Palace 1-29 last night, I enjoyed it. It was a nice change of pace from the normal dungeon grind and some of the item gimmicks are pretty cool. I had decent luck and I think both my weapon and armor are at +8, I can see how getting that up to +30 will be a pain if the stuff I'm reading about upgrading it to the higher levels is true. I guess we'll find out over the next few days how that all shakes out, hopefully you can do a i235 turn-in within ~2 weeks of casual play. That would still be faster than lore weapons for most people.

I also got to report my first person this morning! Did EXDR and I always check my groups gear when we get in so I can gauge how fast we can burn through and how large of pulls I can make. I noticed that the healer was in full i200 (non upgraded ESO gear) and the DPS were no higher than i215 or so (NIN and SMN), we also had a newbie (it was the healer). I decide pulling the whole second room of Sor Khal isn't a good idea based on all this but the NIN has other ideas and pulls the entire room. In the interest of attempting to keep the group alive I grab everything instead of just letting him die and we wipe. He starts bitching about how pulling the whole room is supposed to be easy and I tell him since we have a newbie and most of the party isn't outgearing (I was i230 on my DRK), that maybe pulling everything isn't the way to go. He tells us to boot him then and proceeds to just stand there while we work through the mob packs, then logs out. We booted him after I reported him for being a massive baby, got a new NIN and cleared at a fairly normal pace.

I just don't understand why you would be such a massive tool about potentially saving like 2-3 minutes in an EXDR run. Like NIN doesn't have the best AoE and his gear wasn't great, the SMN was in mostly upgraded ESO gear and our healer was a newbie, doing massive pulls wasn't going to be much faster, and would definitely be more risky if impossible in some areas.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

My only real issue with PotD right now is all the DPS. I don't think I've ever seen a tank in there.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kwyndig posted:

My only real issue with PotD right now is all the DPS. I don't think I've ever seen a tank in there.
I had a single tank/healer/2 dps run!

...it was floor 1-10 and so it was functionally indistinguishable from a 4 dps run.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Martman posted:

Huh, I got really confused while playing, 'cause an iphone commercial came on using the bit from the start of this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhXfkXNZ1TI

Compare to the Azys Lla music (at 52 seconds in case that doesn't work): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYOSYDBJyZg&t=52s

Sort of like the star lake area in the beginning of Okami straight up has the xfiles series of notes in it's area BGM

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kwyndig posted:

I queued in and got three tanks including me once.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Kwyndig posted:

I blame the WAR axe having bleeping parry on it.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

So far the best way to enjoy PotD in my experience is to duo (with a healer) or solo for 30 floors and then convert the save to matching for the last 20. The early bits are too faceroll and the later bits are too punishing. It would be nice if the dungeon did more to accommodate your party size and composition .

Still more fun than doing roulettes for the five hundredth time tho.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

I had a 1 tank, 1 dps, 2 healer F41-50 run. It ended in abject failure because RNG hates us. Two silver chests, both were bombs. I was honestly contemplating wiping to the boss, because doing the first 40 floors again gives me nothing. Especially since I constantly get grouped with people that have a mission to attack every single mob they see. Having F1-10 take 30 minutes, then F11-40 being like 2 god drat hours puts me at 2 and a half hours until I get to an area where I might get an upgrade.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Chucat posted:

It feels like someone got told what a roguelike is and then tried to build a game out of it without considering things like balance.

You get people who are turning into a Manticore and 1 shotting entire floors, while other people can't get onto floor 11 because they have +0/+10, and then other people aren't seeing a silver chest for 5 floors and then the first two they see are a Mimic and one that blows up.

Sounds like a roguelike to me.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, pretty much the perfect description of a roguelike

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

HenryEx posted:

:shrug:

The second try (which had like a 20 minute queue, even as a tank) failed, because one of the healers got thrown off the area at the first possible opportunity, and the second one couldn't keep up in the end. We wiped once, then everyone left.

back into the queue again

Find goons to run it with you

The last time I got HM Ravana in queue it took quite a while to bring him down. I think Ravana is turning into the 4-person Garuda of Heavensward. 60s have some but not all of their abilities, and the fight has enough differences from EX but can't be overpowered by sheer ilvl weight.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Someone on the OF got their weapon already: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/299715-Anyone-got-their-Padjali-weapon-yet

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
First run of PotD was pretty fun. A tank, healer and two DPS is pretty good. We've found an easy to cheese bosses by having our BLM turn into a succubus for the final boss to create vuln up stacks, and have our monk pop the strength up buff and watch it burn.

At floor 40, I'm at +14/+14. I'll probably have to run it several times to get up to +30/+30. I'm unsure if I'll run it after that unless the rewards really are that nice besides the grade 5 materias.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

HenryEx posted:

So i got far enough through the story on my WAR that i got to the first trial in HW. Yay, new content! I watched the intro cutscene (it was like 15 seconds), and in the meantime let party chat know that i was the bonus-giver.

I get out of the cutscene and see only me and 3 DDs left. Then me and two DDs.

Good to know nothing's changed since ARR

More likely what happened here is that someone left for unrelated reasons of just not wanting to do Ravana (why, I dunno, I can think of various reasons both legitimate and less so) and then everyone else bailed too once they could leave without penalty. Since trial roulette queues tend to be fairly fast on any role (even deeps), it's often faster to leave a party that's already been broken and re-queue, than it is to wait around for an increasingly hemorrhaging party to re-fill.

This effect was probably magnified by timing since yesterday was patch day and people are probably far more busy doing Palace of the Dead or getting back into their Bis/Rav/Thor bird farms, than they are with running usual stuff like trial roulettes, so there's that much more difficulty in finding people in the first place, let alone people joining in progress. I was trying to do a PF Nidhogg farm and we couldn't even find a DPS to fill the last slot, that's how disinterested in regular content people were yesterday.

I suspect it had gently caress-all to do with you being new. When you do run it, just try to OT it (less to know there), and when Ravana turns to you (in a forced effective tank swap without actually changing the aggro table) and starts firing line blasts in your direction, aim them at a section of the arena that isn't currently occupied by squishies.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Martman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hfvhykTAfo&t=54s
that specific bit of the Wyrm music makes me think of the Animaniacs theme every time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWnWwN1z_UM&t=25s

It's a little slower but it's just close enough on the progression of notes that I can't not hear it.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

poo poo, the overwatch patch distracted me and I forgot about 3.35 dropping. Palace of the Dead sounds awesome.

Where/How do you get the fat moogle mount?

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

why is hyperion like this

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Every time I get a good run of Silver chest drops I get scared. "This is too good, I can't be allowed to keep this. Something will explode or there'll be a three-wasp trap or something."

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

poo poo, the overwatch patch distracted me and I forgot about 3.35 dropping. Palace of the Dead sounds awesome.

Where/How do you get the fat moogle mount?

Fat moogle's source is unknown as of yet. It's not yet in the officially added new items, so it's not actually available at this point.

If I had to guess, I'd assume either a new tier of veteran reward, or a cash shop purchase.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Vil posted:

Fat moogle's source is unknown as of yet. It's not yet in the officially added new items, so it's not actually available at this point.

If I had to guess, I'd assume either a new tier of veteran reward, or a cash shop purchase.

Oh cool. Vet reward was my initial guess upon seeing it as well.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Reading the PotD thread on reddit is amusing because there are quite a few people turbo raging about the RNG nature of the place.

Who'd of thought a roguelike inspired dungeon would be heavily RNG?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It would be kinda nice if they gave you a +1/+1 for clearing a set of floors if your weapon/armor are still in that range. A couple of little things like that could make it significantly less tedious.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

PotD needs more random poo poo happening. Have mini bosses bust through the wall to mess you up when you're doing big pulls. Spawn people in monster houses. Have a chance that a floor that's just a trial fight. Have a chance that everyone swaps classes for a floor. Anything to break up fighting ability-light, undertuned trash in a hallway forever.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Let me /throw sleeping or stunned enemies at other enemies.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Ryanbomber posted:

PotD needs more random poo poo happening. Have mini bosses bust through the wall to mess you up when you're doing big pulls. Spawn people in monster houses. Have a chance that a floor that's just a trial fight. Have a chance that everyone swaps classes for a floor. Anything to break up fighting ability-light, undertuned trash in a hallway forever.

How about using the concept of having multiple jobs on the same character for a change? Floors requiring certain jobs (and allowed you to change at any time). Random super strong monsters with the dumbest models. Instead of blind being an accuracy decrease, make it effect your actual vision by lowering how far you can see to next to nothing. Make death happen early and often and then they can make it so clearing a set of 10 floors gives you a guaranteed upgrade. Warp traps, monster room traps, confusion traps. A warp trap that splits the entire party! Spend too long on a floor and a lalafell with a fat chocobo head comes to murder you.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Liver Disaster posted:

Let me /throw sleeping or stunned enemies at other enemies.

Give us items that we can /throw at people anywhere, ala Happy Fun Rock.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

Reading the PotD thread on reddit is amusing because there are quite a few people turbo raging about the RNG nature of the place.

yes palace of the dead is exactly like nethack, if nethack just rolled dice and said "gently caress off you can't progress" when you hit castle 25% of the time

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
serious question: have you ever actually played rogue

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Roguelikes may make heavy use of RNG, but they're usually fair. I think people are primarily complaining because they feel the randomness is unfair, not that it's random at all.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Reiterpallasch posted:

serious question: have you ever actually played rogue
Are you seriously, actually making the tired argument that someone doesn't really know roguelikes unless they've played Rogue?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
unwinnable situations are a staple in roguelikes I don't see what the issue is here

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
rogue is uniquely relevant here because it's a simple enough game to illustrate the point he's missing, which is that in rogue rng is something you manage, not something that randomly ends your run because the dice hated you

you very rarely ever die in rogue unless you've made a mistake; the only real exception is umber hulks but you usually have a get-out-of-jail free card by then

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

One thing that is nice about Palace of the Dead is that the level progression is separate from your normal class levels. So they could really play around with that in the future.

They've already said they expect most of the player base to focus on floors 1-100 since that's where the story is and 101-200 are just the bonus challenge floors. If that's the case, go loving hog wild with that poo poo.

I could imagine so many gimmicks you could add just to gently caress with people.

-Everyone is a warrior (or whatever class) on this floor.
-All players assigned a random class on this floor.
-Enemies immune to physical on his floor, everyone has to be a caster.
-Lights are out. Dark floor. All you have is a small glowing area around your character a la Dark Souls.
-Chest trap - floor is reset and re-randomized.
-Resurrection disable on this floor.
-Characters are double in size. Why? Just because.
-Character movement controls are reversed. Up is down.
-All spells/abilities cast instantly and have no cooldown on this floor.
-Create a "hardcore" "permadeath" variant. Solo play only. Weapon/armor stat progression separate from the other runs. If you die, you aren't just reset to the closest 10th floor. You're reset to floor 1.

If we're wanting go roguelike, go full roguelike. :unsmigghh:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

That bit actually reminds me of Santa Claus is Coming to Town:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US5bSTfMia8&t=28s

Niton fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 20, 2016

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
for what it's worth i don't think palace of the dead is very roguelike but i actually kind of like it anyway; my only two complaints are the horrific rng involved in getting going from 25 to 30 on your aetherpool and that solo runs are probably a little too hard right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Truga posted:

unwinnable situations are a staple in roguelikes I don't see what the issue is here

You don't sound like you've beaten any roguelikes, to be honest. I play a lot of Nethack. There are some few situations that really do just come down to bad luck, but the vast majority of games are winnable. Of my hundreds of deaths, I'd say the ones that were unpreventable to a more talented player wouldn't even hit double digits. Or put another way:

Reiterpallasch posted:

...rogue rng is something you manage, not something that randomly ends your run because the dice hated you

Although to be fair, I think this applies more to other roguelikes than Rogue itself. I have difficulty beating Rogue even when savescumming.

• Locked thread