Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

ahahaha look at their official website http://millepensee.com/

so professional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
It's kind of sad on Miura's part really. IIRC One of the reasons it took so long for another studio to get the rights for berserk is because Miura didn't have a very good experience with the 1997 anime project and was keeping the rights really tight for a while afterwards. Then back in 2009 studio 4C came to miura and showed him a 5 minute short of what they wanted do. It impressed him so much that he decide to give them the anime rights with a 10 year contract to adapt the whole manga. Now here we are, 7 years later, with three medicore movies and these apparent nobodies being given Berserk as their first major project. Studio Wit they are not.

I'm probably still gunna watch this all the way through because Berserk is Berserk and it's not like I'd be watching anythig else in its place every week, but it deserves so much better.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Pensive posted:

I'm probably still gunna watch this all the way through because Berserk is Berserk and it's not like I'd be watching anythig else in its place every week, but it deserves so much better.
Find something else to watch, your time is worth more than a show you're not really enjoying.

Mob Psycho 100 seems all right, as someone mentioned it earlier. Pretty unrelated to Berserk of course, but still, it's actually worth watching which is more than can be said for this atrocity.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I'm watching through the old anime and it's not bad. Not super great or anything but it's got that 90s anime look I like a lot and has a good idea of what it needs to do with the material it's showing, even if the execution is a little dull. The OP is awesome too.

I like the OP of the new anime as well, but everything else sucks.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I was pretty happy overall with the 90s show because the soundtrack is pretty great and Golden Age is really more about Guts/Grffith than excessive violence like the rest of the series. I guess there are derpy frames but not that much in important scenes.

Also it gave us Griffith: The Musical.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Woebin posted:

Find something else to watch, your time is worth more than a show you're not really enjoying.

Mob Psycho 100 seems all right, as someone mentioned it earlier. Pretty unrelated to Berserk of course, but still, it's actually worth watching which is more than can be said for this atrocity.

It's not that I'm not enjoying it. Though I've noticed I tend to have pretty wierd standards on that front. I have honestly enjoyed each episode so far more than the last and hope it continues to improve. I just want my reaction to Berserk to be "Oh my god it's friday! New Berserk!" and not "meh. this'll pass 20 min while I wait for Jojo".

Also I'm already watching Mob Psycho 100. It's good.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

What's also frustrating is the original teaser with Guts swinging his sword at the undead soldiers looks much better than what we got in the finished episode, with a proper "hand drawn face but CGI body" look that wasn't terribly dull compared to what we've seen so far. It makes even less sense because IIRC that exact shot appears in the first episode and looks considerably worse.

How the gently caress did that even happen

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Awesome Welles posted:

What's also frustrating is the original teaser with Guts swinging his sword at the undead soldiers looks much better than what we got in the finished episode, with a proper "hand drawn face but CGI body" look that wasn't terribly dull compared to what we've seen so far. It makes even less sense because IIRC that exact shot appears in the first episode and looks considerably worse.

How the gently caress did that even happen

I believe the term that was already used was "lowest bidder".

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

True, I guess I feel bad for Miura the most like someone above said :(

(well, not really, he's probably getting paid well at least)

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The 90s anime was great and I would be hard pressed to find much complaint with it. Unless you feel they did it injustice by keeping the supernatural poo poo to a minimum until that great 'reveal' at the finale episodes.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

My only issue with the 90s anime is the lack of movement. There's also a few story points missing that would have been nice to see. The third movie was good because the higher budget was really able to rub in the horror of the eclipse, whereas the original anime's limited animation made it a bit less terrifying.

The new series is just badly directed.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Wish Berserk 2016 had less movement.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Ccs posted:

My only issue with the 90s anime is the lack of movement.

It worked in the 90s show because that portion of the story is more character dialogue than combat. There is combat but it's a secondary concern to the main trio's development. Black Swordsman arc is just nonstop cleaving through monsters.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

YouTuber posted:

It worked in the 90s show because that portion of the story is more character dialogue than combat. There is combat but it's a secondary concern to the main trio's development. Black Swordsman arc is just nonstop cleaving through monsters.

I'd honestly rather have that style than what the current anime's doing. Cause in that way it's basically the manga but with color and audio sprinkled with some decent animation, as opposed to the puke-fest we're currently getting.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Woebin posted:

ahahaha look at their official website http://millepensee.com/

so professional

Now I actually feel really bad for them

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I wonder how far under they bid from the next lowest to get this ip.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

If I'm reading that correctly their only independent productions to date have been moe tennis shows with 2-5 minute run times.

They're a little out of their depth.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I was loving stunned to discover that it was a different company creating garbage CG than 4dc.

What's shameful is the last movie was the best looking of the three and it felt at least like they were hitting their stride. And to be fair to the movies *some* of the scenes were gorgeous, even if the movies altogether were total failures.

As for low v high bids mean clearly they have no money or arent willing to spend any on making the show but they'd have to be the high bidder to get the IP in the first place right?

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 19, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nothing we didn't know wrt Schierke or reliably expect with Serpico, but they're both confirmed playable in Berserk Warriors by Famitsu
http://www.siliconera.com/2016/07/19/berserk-musou-adds-serpico-schierke-playable-characters/

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

DamnGlitch posted:

As for low v high bids mean clearly they have no money or arent willing to spend any on making the show but they'd have to be the high bidder to get the IP in the first place right?

The people who secured the rights from the publisher/author to get the rights to make an animated series have to be the highest bidder, but then the studio that animates it goes to either the lowest bidder or the bidder who combines the best results of quality to price. In the case of the movies they went to an established studio that went out of their way to make an impressive pilot film to show they were serious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsEiOrK3jPo

But in the case of the TV series they seem to have given it to the lowest bidder without really controlling for quality as much as we would hope...

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
All of you talking about how the anime is lacking got me to buy the first three volumes of Berserk. Started on Sunday, and I had to stop myself from staying up all night to read all three. Berserk is really good, I want more, I'm trying to not buy as many volumes as I can now.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
Puck is the best, and I'll fight anyone who disagrees.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

remember when guts fuckin owned that kid

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Butt Ghost posted:

remember when guts fuckin owned that kid

You mean when he murdered Adonis? That scene was sad, but very well done in the original anime. Plus, his sword didn't sound like a drunk person banging together pots and pans in the kitchen. It sounded like he actually stabbed somebody.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Ccs posted:

In the case of the movies they went to an established studio that went out of their way to make an impressive pilot film to show they were serious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsEiOrK3jPo

Whoah you can combine middling CG and hand-drawn animation to make a product that's both affordable and looks decent when it counts? Sorcery.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Paineopticon posted:

IDK someone upthread talked about how he was instrumental in proving to the group that Griffith was done and would never recover. That was good. My only problem with that storyline was really just two specific panels, that teenager getting her clothes ripped off and then the head-on rape spread on the next page. I think the value of these panels is questionable. But that is only my initial reading of it and I'd like to read how academics responded to it.

I saw someone say that Wyald discussion always devolves into the same circular argument which is why I'm trying to find other critical sources so I don't poo poo up this thread :v:

i liked how they did it in the 90s anime, with it just being humans pursuing the band of the hawk and eventually one grabs griffith and shows his wrecked body to everyone. i think it was good that it was humans being cruel to each other instead of an apostle.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

tbp posted:

the casca rape doesnt make sense to me from griffiths pov. like his ambition doesnt line up with "do some reprehensible poo poo for the sake of it" and even beyond that, the rest of the gods seem really "above it all". like because of their unnaturalness they dont specifically seem to exist to just really be mean, and griffith might have seen the hawks as pawns and everything but i dont think that goes so far as to say he wants to be terrible to them without it achieving something. so sacrificing makes sense, weirdly forcing guts to watch casca be raped doesnt

i do understand that is was important in that it changed her character, never really got why he did it tho

i think an important detail of the casca rape is that the entire time basically griffith is making eye contact with guts.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Surprisingly Dope posted:

i think an important detail of the casca rape is that the entire time basically griffith is making eye contact with guts.

hm, im still just after the post-griffith rebirth arc, so maybe i will know some things in the future that i dont know now. are the god hand members still "human" in a sense? like the other apostles, say, they are definitely human-with-a-dash-of-evil/demon in them. but the god hands from what little i have seen of them struck me as different in the sense that their power was so on a different scale that they weren't so concerned w/ humanity anymore. am i incorrect?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pretty much, yeah. Like Griffith's obviously a little different and his host body having some feelings for Guts and Casca still affects him a little but the other 4 are pretty much "who gives a poo poo about mankind or living really, lets just do nothing (everyone who isn't slan)/try to bang things (slan)"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Pretty much, yeah. Like Griffith's obviously a little different and his host body having some feelings for Guts and Casca still affects him a little but the other 4 are pretty much "who gives a poo poo about mankind or living really, lets just do nothing (everyone who isn't slan)/try to bang things (slan)"

I'm not so sure about that... While they are obviously vastly more powerful than anything else, the Godhand still feels fundamentally human to me. They embody humanity's potential for evil, after all (ambition, lust, corruption, deception... uuuuh... false faith?), and they obviously very much revel in it. They might be "human" to the most terrifying degree possible. When the Idea of Evil tells them to "do as you like", doesn't it more or less reinforce that they should indulge in their base human desires on a giant scale?

I think all of them are human at their core, only with the most insane :smuggo: of divinity surrounding them. Dunno if we could ever see them brought down to human level - taking down a god sounds like a rather abstract affair -, but if it happens, I expect all that smug exterior to be peeled away and reveal the ugliest little humans of them all.

Also, somebody needs to, like, punch them right in the face

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I've always questioned what the God Hand's ultimate plan is. The barrier between worlds has been destroyed so now what? Eventually gonna run out of humans to eat / corrupt into apostles. Unless they're just hedonistic and don't care about anything. If Guts ends up killing Griffith, how does that fix how hosed up the world is now - especially if Griffith is the one protecting humanity from the worst monsters.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Griffith is humanity's savior, and the true hero of Berserk. After Guts gets Casca's mind back, he will go back to the mainland and see how great Griffith is and they'll all live happily ever after.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Harlock posted:

I've always questioned what the God Hand's ultimate plan is. The barrier between worlds has been destroyed so now what? Eventually gonna run out of humans to eat / corrupt into apostles. Unless they're just hedonistic and don't care about anything. If Guts ends up killing Griffith, how does that fix how hosed up the world is now - especially if Griffith is the one protecting humanity from the worst monsters.

I'd really like it if the Godhand stopped working much together when the barrier fell because each of them thinks they don't really need the rest anymore to seek what they personally want. Best way to actually build sort of character from them is to show action like Griffith making Falconia. Slan letting the Qilphoth swallow up entire countries. Void leading a dying pilgrimage of the faithful or twisting them in some way to somewhere involving Zodd or Gaiseric.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
You know it only occured to me after seeing this ad that magic users in Berserk don't really do much in the way of direct damage. They're all about utility casting and/or summoning, invoking, or creating other beings to do stuff for them.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

That's been a thing for far too long, schierke usually used support spells and rarely a fireball and SFV Dhalsim from Kushan only floated around and made a bunch of monster mooks

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

The CGI is real, real bad, but I'm enjoying the new Berserk anime.

If I hadn't already read all of the manga and seen all of the anime adaptations already I'd probably be wondering what the gently caress is going on, but as someone who knows all the back story already I like it a lot.

I actually liked the kennel keeper apostle and his twisted back story.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Bad Seafood posted:

You know it only occured to me after seeing this ad that magic users in Berserk don't really do much in the way of direct damage. They're all about utility casting and/or summoning, invoking, or creating other beings to do stuff for them.

I'm not sure if that's just how it works or only a "recentish" change brought about by the Godhand's presence. Before the Holy See, maybe there could have been a lot more varying magic around the time of Gaiseric. I mean, if people believed in elves and whatever else, maybe Flora in her time could do poo poo that makes Schierke's little invocations look like child's play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.spoiler.net/spoiler/5b.1-berserk-chapter-345

345 Spoilers