Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

wicka posted:

isn't it just...first place gets 40 points, second gets 39, third gets 38, etc?

I think he means the chase stuff. But yeah per race it goes by 1 point per position. Which is a crap system, because it penalizes you for failure more than it rewards you for succeeding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I also took it to mean Chase rules, which go "Top 10 and anyone within 400 points of the lead 12 10 plus two wild cards with wins inside the Top 20 in points 16 drivers in the Top 30 in points who have attempted to qualify for all of the races (unless an exemption is granted), seeded by the number of wins (and failing 16 winners, points) they have in the regular season, and he with the most points after 10 races is champion, bottom three Chase drivers (tiebreaker is average finish in that round) eliminated after each third race until there's a final four at Homestead, which is highest finisher takes all. Oh, and a win is an auto-advance to the following round, which is only A Good Rule if your driver benefits, like Kidc thought after Dover and I thought after Martinsville last year."

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 19, 2016

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

CBJSprague24 posted:

Here's another article from Jeff Gluck where he surveyed fans on Twitter and Facebook as to why they stopped attending races:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2016/07/01/nascar-fans-attendance-cost/86587042/

One thing I didn't think about earlier is the changing track experience (mentioned in that story), most notably demonstrated by the transition from the souvenir haulers to the Fanatics Courtyard or whatever it's called now. Functionally, it's nice to be able to handle, look at, and try stuff on without having to have it handed down, but driving past the empty Midway at Daytona in July was depressing.

I have a close friend who asks about NASCAR at times when we go out to grab wings and beer and he's asked about the decline of the sport. I explained the Chase to him as a reason and his response, after hearing the formats each time (because we've talked about it twice) was "Why don't they just take points from the full season to determine the champion? It's so much easier.".

That's a great article. I was just about to share it.

NOTE: Read the following paragraph in Plinkett voice for full effect:

Something that I think isn't mentioned when talking about the Chase(s), but I think is worth mentioning, is the overemphasis on its winner: it's not just the most important position, it's now the only important position. There used to be interest in "who will finish the season in the top 5? The top 10?" There were multiple storylines happening throughout the field and everyone had something to gain/loose. Now the system is only to determine a champion: if a driver isn't in the top 2-4, they might as well pull over. That's why when a driver dominates a race now that it's more boring than it used to be: because there's literally nothing of consequence happening with the other 42 cars on the track to fill the time. None of it matters so it's boring. That was why I actually liked the Top-35 rule (though I think they should have made it a lower number). There used to be 43 drivers racing 42 other drivers, not 42 drivers trying to beat Jimmie Johnson.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Harveygod posted:

Something that I think isn't mentioned when talking about the Chase(s), but I think is worth mentioning, is the overemphasis on its winner: it's not just the most important position, it's now the only important position.

See Also: Thread title and last season.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

The #63 truck left for Eldora first thing this morning. Been a long week getting it ready. I did the graphics for it and can't wait to see it get tore up. The guys in the shop are hell bent on improving from the runner-up finish last year to winning the whole loving thing with Bobby Pierce returning to drive! Wish us luck goons.

Go get 'em! :getin:

EDIT:

CBJSprague24 posted:

Here's another article from Jeff Gluck where he surveyed fans on Twitter and Facebook as to why they stopped attending races:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2016/07/01/nascar-fans-attendance-cost/86587042/

Another good article from Gluck. At first, I was surprised that the rule changes turned so many away, especially since NASCAR seems so reactionary in what it does - for better or worse. Then I remembered how much I hate the Charter system.

Harveygod posted:

Something that I think isn't mentioned when talking about the Chase(s), but I think is worth mentioning, is the overemphasis on its winner: it's not just the most important position, it's now the only important position. There used to be interest in "who will finish the season in the top 5? The top 10?" There were multiple storylines happening throughout the field and everyone had something to gain/loose. Now the system is only to determine a champion: if a driver isn't in the top 2-4, they might as well pull over. That's why when a driver dominates a race now that it's more boring than it used to be: because there's literally nothing of consequence happening with the other 42 cars on the track to fill the time. None of it matters so it's boring. That was why I actually liked the Top-35 rule (though I think they should have made it a lower number). There used to be 43 drivers racing 42 other drivers, not 42 drivers trying to beat Jimmie Johnson.

This too. Watched the ESPN broadcast of the 2000 Sears Point race the other week and was surprised how many different drivers the broadcasters talked about and/or showed. By the end of the race, even though Jeff Gordon won just about uncontested, you left feeling like you knew what happened to just about everyone in the field. I'm once again eager to blame the broadcasters for this, but the rules really are to blame as well.

LASTCAR fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 19, 2016

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

EDIT: ack double post

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

LASTCAR posted:

Another good article from Gluck. At first, I was surprised that the rule changes turned so many away, especially since NASCAR seems so reactionary in what it does - for better or worse. Then I remembered how much I hate the Charter system.

i just don't know what the charter system is, why it exists, and frankly, i really don't care to learn

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Harveygod posted:

I always loved the bizarre dynamic where wins in the "regular season" were significantly more important than wins in the chase, though they at least changed that with the elimination system.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Hopkins FBI posted:

Elvis Costello?

Smokey Yunick

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

wicka posted:

i just don't know what the charter system is, why it exists, and frankly, i really don't care to learn

Well, see, NASCAR wanted rid of S&Ps, so they created Top 35, but then there were more than 35 fully funded teams for a couple years, but they lost sponsors and/or folded so NASCAR was all ":smug:" for a couple years until they randomly dropped it. Then, the car owners decided they'd had enough of NASCAR's poo poo and formed RTA, which was different from PDA because a France can tell drivers (who were the car owners) in 1969 to gently caress right off all he wants, but a France doing that in 2015 would result in a response of ":lol: really?", so NASCAR gave them equity.

...in turn ruining any possible stimulation of creating new teams because what's the point if you're never going to get a Charter and its benefits, instead being stuck scurrying for what table scraps are left if you make it in the sport? Just to make sure nobody else steals from the Franchises, let's reduce the field by three cars each race because

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 20, 2016

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The charter system is JO material for those guys back in the mid-2000s who would constantly complain that start-and-parkers were ruining NASCAR.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Alain Post posted:

The charter system is JO material for those guys back in the mid-2000s who would constantly complain that start-and-parkers were ruining NASCAR.

this thread was loaded with them

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I don't watch much of NASCAR after the first 2 months. I get bored watching it on TV and there is so much to do outside instead.

Why do I get bored? I'm not really 100% sure, but I know that the first 80% of the race doesn't really matter because NASCAR constantly resets the field with the wave arounds, lucky dogs, and caution flags that don't need to thrown. It's pretty rare that the top 15 guys are not on the lead lap at the finish, and that makes most of the race pointless to me.

I still hang around and read the NASCAR thread of course.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Alain Post posted:

It was even more galling that a lot of those folks rooted for drivers or teams that start-and-parked in the past.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Didn't they do this already with Kenseth?
I thought they just docked regular season points and let the win stand? I'm not sure of how the point system works either I guess.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Truck was fifth in practice off the trailer and sixth tonight in session two. Gonna be a fun day tomorrow :)

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Kick rear end, I'm gonna be pulling for yall all the way after last year's race.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Gordon confirmed for Indy and Pocono, which will put him at 799 career starts just to gently caress with me.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

kidcoelacanth posted:

Gordon confirmed for Indy and Pocono, which will put him at 799 career starts just to gently caress with me.

He loses the "only driver to run his entire career consecutively with no gaps" record, though.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I'm going to arguably the best race in a NASCAR season tonight and I'm getting at least a two race encore for the only driver I've ever really been invested in in Cup who I figured I'd never see in a Cup race again.

...still not enough to get me to buy a ticket to Indianapolis, but nonetheless, IT'S A GOOD DAY, YES IT IS. :getin:

kidcoelacanth posted:

And had he not been in France, it could have been 800. :negative:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

well that is certainly a terrible, terrible sign

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Jr. is done, I'm calling it now

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

You called it last week, you can't do that twice :colbert:

I can see him finishing out this season but yeah none of this is a particularly great sign. Gonna be a MASSIVE blow for NASCAR if they lose him too, that's your here biggest stars gone in two years.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

VikingSkull posted:

Getting this vibe as well. Maybe not done, but I'd reckon the end is near.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I'd hate losing Jr more than I'll like getting to see a Jeff Gordon encore. I had three possible new favorites in the top 3 late at Pocono and Jr was the one I genuinely wanted to see win.

This has an Ernie Irvan feel to it.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

:smith:

I think Junior could be very successful if he got more involved in the ownership side but I've been cheering for that moron for over a decade now.

No idea who I'd cheer for when he quits driving.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

mischief posted:

:smith:

I think Junior could be very successful if he got more involved in the ownership side but I've been cheering for that moron for over a decade now.

No idea who I'd cheer for when he quits driving.

repurpose all your Junior merchandise on Team Truex

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

If NASCAR has a problem now, imagine JR retiring. That'll surely help the gate at all tracks!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

If NASCAR has a problem now, imagine JR retiring. That'll surely help the gate at all tracks!

Hasn't he been the fan favorite for like a decade?

Also who's this Martin Truex Jr guy? Is that the guy in Cole Pearn's car?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Imagine the unluckiest motherfucker you know. That's Martin Truex.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Norns posted:

Hasn't he been the fan favorite for like a decade?

A decade and a half. With Stewart and Gordon gone, who's even left?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

It's Landon Cassill's time to shine.

This is not a joke post

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Harveygod posted:

"Good afternoon, welcome to raceday. I'm perma-retired driver Kylestomper45..."

I appreciate this post.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Potential new title sponsors for Cup:

quote:

In October 2015, SportsBusiness Journal indicated that the following companies had been pitched on the title sponsorship: Panasonic, LG, Coca-Cola, Goodyear, Comcast and Hisense, with Hisense showing the most interest at that time. Hinese would fall into the latter, international category described by O'Connell.(Forbes)(7-19-2016)

NASCAR has apparently courted a couple companies for title sponsorship to replace Sprint only to do this:

quote:

It's expected he would paint a rosy picture but sources have confirmed some companies have actually been declined by NASCAR because it wasn't a good business decision.

Harveygod posted:

A decade and a half. With Stewart and Gordon gone, who's even left?

The fan vote Top 10 (alpabetical order) with one week left to vote last year:
#18-Kyle Busch
#88-Dale Earnhardt Jr.?
#19-Carl Edwards
#24-Jeff Gordon
#4-Kevin Harvick
#48-Jimmie Johnson
#5-Kasey Kahne
#20-Matt Kenseth
#10-Danica Patrick
#14-Tony Stewart

I think Danica was 3rd one year behind Jr and Gordon. Of that list, Harvick, Jimmie, and Kenseth are all over 40.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I guess I could start cheering for Kyle for maximum irony.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The idea of a Chinese company like Hisense sponsoring Nascar is hilarious.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

njsykora posted:

i assumed that was the "not a good business decision" company

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

wicka posted:

i assumed that was the "not a good business decision" company

I would have thought that would be Goodyear :v:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Holy hell is it Eldora tonight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

njsykora posted:

check out this guy that thinks corporations have nationalism

• Locked thread