Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Gologle posted:

I've said this before, and I'll say it again, but I really wish the FFXV main bros didn't already have tons of people looking too hard into their relationships with one another. As someone who can still remember vividly and fondly the memory of when I went on a camping trip with two of my friends and one of their girlfriend's several years back I feel like I know exactly what Tabata is trying to get across with the roadtrip feel, like a band of brother's type deal, but you see people's reactions on the Internet and it's always "this poo poo's gay" or "gettin' a real homoerotic vibe from this" or "OMG i hope tehy hook up XD".

It's the Kingdom Hearts fandom all over again.

Welcome to the internet? But seriously, I don't think they're shying away from the homoeroticism, even if the characters aren't actually gay themselves. It's a selling point for a good part of their audience. And hell, if loads of people want to write fan fiction about them all having sex, who does it hurt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Fingers McLongDong posted:

This part is true. It's like people never went on trips with their friends. I'm 30 years old and still set aside time maybe twice a year to go on short road trips with my good friends.

Whatever you say.... Fingers McLongDong!

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Terper posted:

Whatever you say.... Fingers McLongDong!

Hey listen a friend picked this username for me and

gently caress

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Gologle posted:

I've said this before, and I'll say it again, but I really wish the FFXV main bros didn't already have tons of people looking too hard into their relationships with one another. As someone who can still remember vividly and fondly the memory of when I went on a camping trip with two of my friends and one of their girlfriend's several years back I feel like I know exactly what Tabata is trying to get across with the roadtrip feel, like a band of brother's type deal, but you see people's reactions on the Internet and it's always "this poo poo's gay" or "gettin' a real homoerotic vibe from this" or "OMG i hope tehy hook up XD".

It's the Kingdom Hearts fandom all over again.

Well, several years back, the internet and it's culture in which we get new info about games was probably different. We spread out info faster than before, which can lead to people starting shipping stuff earlier too, and finally can end up in us learning about said shipping earlier. What I'm saying is, people have probably have always done this, it just seems more apparent (or is maybe bigger as people are more willing to share it nowadays or something).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I saw public gay-shipping of Gundam wing characters back when it aired on toonami, like this isn't new to anyone

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'm aware that this isn't a new concept, hell I've done it myself a handful of times. These same explanations came up every single time in the past when I've voiced my dissatisfaction with people blowing things out of proportion, and it'll probably happen again in the future when I inevitably come back to it. Still doesn't mean I'll ever like it just because it's been going on for forever.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I hope they hook up.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I went on a camping trip with friends but they were gay and hosed

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0m6q0TDbqo

Carbuncle Surprise! Pre-order and every Friday you can see what surprise the Carbuncle has to give you.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Tae posted:

I saw public gay-shipping of Gundam wing characters back when it aired on toonami, like this isn't new to anyone

I saw people claiming that Gundam Wing was edited extensively for US audiences, cutting out boys having sex and a wedding. so if anything this is supremely less ridiculous.

Terper posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0m6q0TDbqo

Carbuncle Surprise! Pre-order and every Friday you can see what surprise the Carbuncle has to give you.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jul 21, 2016

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

And here I was going to pre-order until I saw that poo poo.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Gologle posted:

I'm aware that this isn't a new concept, hell I've done it myself a handful of times. These same explanations came up every single time in the past when I've voiced my dissatisfaction with people blowing things out of proportion, and it'll probably happen again in the future when I inevitably come back to it. Still doesn't mean I'll ever like it just because it's been going on for forever.

I mean, you could always just not care about what others like to harmlessly do with characters in a media they like. That's a pretty simple solution imo.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Ventana posted:

I mean, you could always just not care about what others like to harmlessly do with characters in a media they like. That's a pretty simple solution imo.

Shhhh! Don't try to bring common sense into the argument, he might explode from exposure to the logic!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

carbuncle surprise

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Because I am an idiot and have waited for this for a long time and got hyped, I preordered the ultimate collectors ed.

As it is a lot and seems a bit silly I'm considering cancelling esp. As I mainly use PC for gaming hobby and there's still Last Guardian out the following month. But the limited availability seems to be staying my hand.

I will say I've been enjoying the Brotherhood anime much more than I thought I would or probably should. Esp the prompto ep

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKJ_Ni4d5EE

A King's Tale trailer.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I didn't even know that was a thing.

So that's Gamestop exclusive. Weren't there some exclusive benefits for pre-ordering through the Square store? Are those the only options, or is there a list of what you get based on where you preorder?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
It's a little strange that that game would be a store exclusive, I don't think that was in the original ATB announcement for it. I wouldn't be surprised if it became available later on for everyone.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's probably not very long.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

According to a new interview, the worst thing about developing FFXV according to Tabata was that he was unable to spend time with his daughter

:(

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I never got around to playing Duscae 2.0, so I did that the other day. I liked the new additions, and had a Good Time. Still optimistic that FFXV will be good against all odds.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Terper posted:

According to a new interview, the worst thing about developing FFXV according to Tabata was that he was unable to spend time with his daughter

:(

Hey if it does well maybe SE will put him on XV-2 about Noctis and his daughter so he can say he is off doing 'research'.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htnkOpknGok

The movie's out digitally on August 30 and on Blu-ray October 4.

Here's the current list of theaters that will play it in the US

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Didn't you say the Japanese theater release got good reviews or something? I'd be interested to check those out if you remember a source.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Terper posted:

God damnit, 5 locations in Texas and none of them are in Austin? Lubbock? Really?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Gologle posted:

Didn't you say the Japanese theater release got good reviews or something? I'd be interested to check those out if you remember a source.

http://movies.yahoo.co.jp/movie/KINGSGLAIVE+FINAL+FANTASY+XV/356202/

After 757 reviews, it sits at 4.45. That's pretty drat good. Matsuno and Sakaguchi both really liked it, as did Katsuhiro Harada, the director of Tekken. For what that's worth :v:

Reviews from people who speak both Japanese and English have also been positive. From neogaf:

quote:

The movie was great, action sequences were amazing as expected. Nyx was a great character. Luna was excellently portrayed and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of her story in the game. Ravus was super cool but was barely in it.

Some dislikes:
There wasn't really that much backstory given into the lore of XV like I was hoping for, but maybe I missed a few things because my Japanese isn't the greatest. Also it was kind of distracting because the lips are very obviously synced to the English voice so it didn't match at all to the Japanese voice.

[...]

Although the action sequences rival any typical Hollywood summer blockbuster, there isn't so much payoff with the story, which is intentional as it merely sets up things to come in XV. Those that are not familiar with XV might not appreciate the dramatic moments as much.

However, I think this would absolutely entertain general audiences. The story is basic enough to follow, and borders on Game of Thrones like vibes with the political drama. Hopefully they market this properly, it could do really well.

A friend I went with who is not a FF fan and was unfamiliar with XV found the movie to be quite entertaining and asked if their would be a sequel to see what happens when Luna finally reaches Noctis. So if SE's main goal with Kingsglaive was getting average people interested in the game, I think they have a chance at succeeding.

Terper fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 24, 2016

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Are there any spoilers as to if Sean Regis Bean lives? I'm guessing the answer is no because...come on, it's Sean Bean. Plus it's typical in stories like this for the father to die and in so doing symbolically pass the torch onto his heir.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I've spoiled myself on the entire movie so if you really do want to know something I can answer most questions.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I actually really do want to know if Regis lives in the movie.

EDIT: That's literally all I want to know. Don't go into details, don't tell me how, just yes or no.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Alright. ----He's Sean Bean'd----.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Terper posted:

Why so many places in Texas???

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Blackfyre posted:

Hey if it does well maybe SE will put him on XV-2 about Noctis and his daughter so he can say he is off doing 'research'.

If there is a direct sequel, someone else will probably direct and produce it. Tabata gives the impression that FFXV is a way for him to build clout with management and do his personal projects in the future. For most of his career, he's been the director for projects where someone else was the creative force behind the game's vision. Type-0 was his first project he had real creative freedom with.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The one showing in Florida is about a twenty-minute drive from me. I might have to do this.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

CottonWolf posted:

Welcome to the internet? But seriously, I don't think they're shying away from the homoeroticism, even if the characters aren't actually gay themselves. It's a selling point for a good part of their audience. And hell, if loads of people want to write fan fiction about them all having sex, who does it hurt?

I really feel sorry for Square Enix for XV because they can't do anything with the main party that doesn't incite Silly Jelly Willy shitstorms.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Terper posted:

I've spoiled myself on the entire movie so if you really do want to know something I can answer most questions.

Why did they make a tie in movie for a game before anyone knows if the game is good?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

They should have done a Fathom event thing so it could show at more than 5 theaters

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mixed media marketing

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

Why did they make a tie in movie for a game before anyone knows if the game is good?

Sakurazuka posted:

Mixed media marketing

This, basically.

quote:

4Gamer:

Among the things you needed to release, was the announcement of the sell date planned alongside KINGSGLAIVE and PLATINUM DEMO?

Tabata:

Of course. This time, I stressed the release of a movie before the release of the game.

4Gamer:
Why was that?

Tabata:

For example Dragon Quest. Other than being a numbered series, Dragon Quest has opportunities for many people to come into contact with it, right? One of those being, the development of goods. Children who have not yet played the game are familiar with DQ. As the child grows, he/she will play the game. However, as for the FF series, fundamentally the growth stops with each title. This is because for each number there is a different world. In other words, if DQ's growth is a “line” than the FF games are like “dots”.

4Gamer:

I see. Before the release of FFXV you are creating a type of time line with the movie and demo, like in Dragon Quest.

Tabata:

For that purpose, I had Nozue transferred from Square Enix's cinematic production division, Visual Works, to the secondary business division that is making FFXV. Visual Works gets orders from other divisions and makes things like game cinematic. Fundamentally their work is appraised to have no impact on game sales. However, I proposed to Nozue that I wanted him to create a video within a division that has results, in other words one that is evaluated with game sales. By doing that, I thought he could work bearing the same responsibility, resolution, and goal as us.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I've heard from movie podcasts that rarely touch games were super impressed with Kingsglaive's technology, especially coming off Warcraft. If nothing else, they do have some spark in demographics that aren't gamers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Duscae Noctis

Recent image Noctis

• Locked thread