Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Astroman posted:

Whoa, really? What's that from?

Here's all you need to know about it. It's an incredible comic and it's impact really can't be understated.

At least one school teacher wrote in asking for several copies for her classroom. Sweet stuff.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Here's the actual comic. http://kb-outofthisworld.blogspot.com/2010/02/anti-racism-in-1950s-comics-weird.html

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Astroman posted:

Whoa, really? What's that from?

Didn't you used to come to the Politoon Thread? EC Comics are the most important thing ever. :colbert:

At least in regards to genre storytelling.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

A bit on the nose (as was TOS Star Trek and a lot of other fiction at the time though), but very cool. I had no idea that existed. Very ballsy for the era!

After The War posted:

Didn't you used to come to the Politoon Thread? EC Comics are the most important thing ever. :colbert:

At least in regards to genre storytelling.

Oh goodness no, I only ever frequented the newspaper comics thread, but it moved too fast and I lacked the time to keep up.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
There's this other comic that's not as famous(as evident by me not being able to remember it's name) where like...this guy comes back from Korea, and he's like, "I want my best buddy from the army buried here in town", and everyone's happy to go along with it till his friend turns out to have been black, and when the town doesn't wanna allow it the veteran just tears into them. Good poo poo.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Woah, love the design, a good comic from the 1950's.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

They wanted to make William Gaines, the publisher of EC Comics, change that last panel to not be a black guy, and he ripped into people for it. The Comics Code was invented to sink Gaines' work, though I guess he was able to recover somewhat with MAD. An American hero.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
EC Comics were fantastic. When I was a kid, I had a cheapo collected version of some of the Weird Fantasy books that I literally read until the spine split. That publisher also gave us Tales From the Crypt.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Good on Frakes for wanting his love interest in The Outcast to be played by a man.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

T.C. posted:

Good on Frakes for wanting his love interest in The Outcast to be played by a man.

And Whoopi Goldberg fought hard to tell Lal about "people" falling in love and not "a man & a woman".

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

WickedHate posted:

At least one school teacher wrote in asking for several copies for her classroom. Sweet stuff.

Yup!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Nice, Rick Berman being a raging homophobe gives me another good reason to dislike him. It makes sense, really. Gay characters were really the thing Trek was missing.

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, the Ferengi's weird system of ideology-based ultra-capitalism is so strange and nonsensical to begin with that I can't really complain about the sudden changes that were obviously happening at the end of DS9.

Yeah. The Ferengi, Klingons and the Federation itself are all examples of societies that could never actually exist in real life.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 20, 2016

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
That's why it's science fiction and not, despite what various Trekspergs might wish, a history of the future.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Apollodorus posted:

That's why it's science fiction and not, despite what various Trekspergs might wish, a history of the future.

Yeah. I've said it a million times before, but it's kind of hilarious when sperglords act like Star Trek is hard science fiction. Or remotely realistic. Or even consistent.

Like, people complain about ENT being inconsistent and having continuity errors and retcons and the like, but TOS isn't even consistent with itself, let alone other series. A lot of people don't seem to realize that Star Trek continuity is honestly really very loose.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I usually don't include TOS when I think about Star Trek as harder science fiction. It's quite obvious they didn't plan on there being long threads of continuity in the 60s. Trying to force that into the canon of the Star Trek from the 90s just barely works. TOS works as an anthology of interesting sci-fi stories with interspersed lovely episodes.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

WickedHate posted:

How do you forget the ultimate gently caress O'Brian, Seriously, Let's Just Ruin His poo poo episode?
When my wife and I were watching DS9, I kept building up Time's Orphan as "The Worst Thing that Ever Happens to O'Brien", without telling her why of course. Even after Hard Time, where she was incredulously asking how it could possibly get worse for him, I smugly told her that it did.

This is because I actually forgot the very ending of the episode. I actually believed that the O'Briens sent their feral daughter to live 300 years in the past, forever. I was stunned, stunned when she came back.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I told my wife it was the most boring of ds9 episodes and we should skip it. She hates the child actor who plays molly. Says she's the worst child actor she's ever seen and her presence on screen throws her into a rage.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I told my wife it was the most boring of ds9 episodes and we should skip it. She hates the child actor who plays molly. Says she's the worst child actor she's ever seen and her presence on screen throws her into a rage.

The child actor of Molly is barely in that episode anyway, most of it is the new older feral Molly.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

It's pretty hilarious that one time Keiko got possessed by a Pah'Wraith and O'Brien didn't notice any difference.

"There's a demon possessing my wife's body? Oh. She's usually this much of a bitch anyway so I didn't notice."

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
And in another episode, he realises something is wrong because she got him his favourite stew for dinner, and that's just out of character for her

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Remember that time she knew him so well that he would never drink coffee at night? Then he does.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Tsaedje posted:

And in another episode, he realises something is wrong because she got him his favourite stew for dinner, and that's just out of character for her
I always feel sorry for replicant O'Brien in that episode. It's just such a loving downer the way the episode ends.

Cojawfee posted:

Remember that time she knew him so well that he would never drink coffee at night? Then he does.
Yup. I've been with my fiancee for 2 and a half years and she already knows me far better than Keiko seems to with Miles. :v:

Also, the episode where Miles is on trial on Cardie prime. Keiko is *awfully* insistent on watching his trial. Was she hoping for the opposite of the result?

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
I've always wondered: Do they ever tell Keiko what happened to Miles after Visionary? Like her husband literally died of radiation poisoning, but here's another Miles from a timeline that no longer exists.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I've always wondered: Do they ever tell Keiko what happened to Miles after Visionary? Like her husband literally died of radiation poisoning, but here's another Miles from a timeline that no longer exists.

Considering how transporters work, Federation society has probably made peace with that sort of thing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I never got the hate for their relationship. I know a lot of far worse couples and when push comes to shove they seem to mostly love each other. Maybe she loves plants a little more than him, and he loves Julian a bit more than her, but it seems to work for the most part.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Well, one time a transporter accident turned Keiko into a literal child and she still expected Miles to perform his, uh, marital duties. Yeah.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Gammatron 64 posted:

Nice, Rick Berman being a raging homophobe gives me another good reason to dislike him. It makes sense, really. Gay characters were really the thing Trek was missing.

Yeah. The Ferengi, Klingons and the Federation itself are all examples of societies that could never actually exist in real life.

I actually think the portrayal of the Federation is mostly okay just because we never really see anything. The concept of a future society that's so rich that it can take care of all of its citizens isn't particularly far fetched or anything. It just broke down when the writers decided to be lazy and show off civilian life without even attempting to engage with how Federation society might be different from modern day western civilization.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Gammatron 64 posted:

It's pretty hilarious that one time Keiko got possessed by a Pah'Wraith and O'Brien didn't notice any difference.

"There's a demon possessing my wife's body? Oh. She's usually this much of a bitch anyway so I didn't notice."

"The sex got better"

McSpanky posted:

Well, one time a transporter accident turned Keiko into a literal child and she still expected Miles to perform his, uh, marital duties. Yeah.

Sometimes the cultural differences can be hard to deal with in marriage.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Rewatching The Outcast right now and it makes me sad the producers were so anti-Geordi-beard. Otoh, it might have made all his failings with women harder to believe.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

DrNutt posted:

Rewatching The Outcast right now and it makes me sad the producers were so anti-Geordi-beard. Otoh, it might have made all his failings with women harder to believe.

Geordi should have had a beard from the beginning. It's one of the things the TNG movies got right, the dude just looks better with a beard.

Everyone should have gotten beards in season 2.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

WickedHate posted:

Let's not forget what partially inspired that episode, after all:

This is a treasure, thank you.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Everyone should have gotten beards in season 2.

When did Data get his girlfriend? :v:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Repli'O'Brien's paranoia is such as interesting thing. There's the obvious part where the rest of the crew are overdoing it in terms of making him feel comfortable and relaxed, but I wonder:

Imagine that the process of making a replicant wasn't quite perfect. Subtle differences in personality or memory might crop up -- no worse than the gradual change one experiences over time, mind you -- but they'd be experienced as a sudden discontinuity. Suddenly things aren't quite how they should be. People 'feel' different to you in ways you can't describe. Your own emotions are triggered in ways they didn't in your remembered past.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

When did Data get his girlfriend? :v:

The B-plot of that one, where they're in the Video Game Glitch sector and people are getting stuck in the floor was legit creepy and deserved it's own episode.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZcIWWjLVZ8

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Star Trek Beyond synopsis:

quote:

Three years into their five-year deep space voyage, the USS Enterprise puts in for resupply at Starbase Yorktown, a densely-populated space colony. During the long period of isolation, Commander Spock (Zachary Quinto) and Lieutenant Nyota Uhura (Zoe Saldana) have ended their romantic relationship, Lieutenant Hikaru Sulu (John Cho) misses his partner and young child, Chief Engineer Montgomery "Scotty" Scott (Simon Pegg) is having difficulty keeping the Enterprise operational with dwindling supplies, and Captain James T. Kirk (Chris Pine) is finding his duties monotonous. Over birthday drinks with Dr. Leonard McCoy (Karl Urban), Kirk questions his motives for joining Starfleet, and he later applies for promotion to Vice Admiral.

An escape pod drifts out of a nearby nebula and the sole occupant, Kalara (Lydia Wilson), claims her ship is stranded and damaged. The Enterprise is dispatched, but when it arrives at a planet on the far side of the nebula, it's crippled by a swarm of ships and boarded by drone soldiers lead by Krall (Idris Elba), an alien warlord. Krall attempts to retrieve an alien artifact – supposedly part of a long-lost weapon – from the Enterprise's storage, but Kirk gets the artifact first and gives it to a junior ensign for safekeeping. As the crew evacuates, most of their escape pods are captured by the drone ships.

Uhura separates the Enterprise's saucer section, enabling it to crash-land on the planet below, but she's captured by Krall and brought to his home base on the planet's surface, along with Sulu, the junior ensign and the rest of the captive crew. Along with the drone forces, Krall has alien technology that he uses to rejuvenate his body by draining the life from his captives, and has been planning for centuries to strike at the Federation. When Krall threatens to start murdering the crew, the junior ensign gives up the alien artifact, which is the final component of a bioweapon he intends to unleash aboard Yorktown.

Kirk, Ensign Pavel Chekov (Anton Yelchin) and Kalara also reach the surface, and Kalara admits she lured the Enterprise into a trap. They return to the saucer section, where Kalara is tricked into giving away the location of Krall's base. The drones attack, but Kirk and Chekov escape by activating the saucer's manoeuvring thrusters, killing Kalara. Meanwhile, Scotty lands elsewhere and is saved from unruly natives by Jaylah (Sofia Boutella), an alien scavenger who has made her home in the wreck of the USS Franklin, a legendary Starfleet vessel that went missing.

Spock and McCoy reach the planet in a stolen drone, but Spock is severely wounded. As they navigate the planet's surface, Spock reveals that Ambassador Spock (Leonard Nimoy) has died, causing him to reconsider his place in Starfleet. They are attacked by drones, but Scotty repairs the Franklin's teleporter and beams the pair aboard. Kirk and Chekov reach the Franklin, and with Jaylah's help, they formulate a plan to infiltrate Krall's camp. As Krall's fleet departs, Kirk, Spock, McCoy and Jaylah attack the base and rescue the crew from the remaining drones, before repairing the Franklin and pursuing Krall to Yorktown.

Spock and McCoy beam aboard an attacking drone ship and discover how to disrupt the drones' cohesion with UHF broadcasts, allowing the Franklin to destroy much of the drone fleet using discordant noise. Krall alone boards Yorktown and attempts to deploy the bioweapon in the life support hub. Uhura studies the Franklin's logs and discovers the truth: Krall was once the human captain of the USS Franklin, an ex-soldier and a Federation sceptic who went insane during his time on the planet. Kirk battles Krall at the life support hub, managing to flush Krall and the bioweapon into space and narrowly avoiding the same fate thanks to Spock and McCoy's stolen drone.

Kirk is offered the promotion to Vice Admiral as a reward for saving Yorktown, but he declines, preferring to remain a starship captain. Spock decides to stay in Starfleet and resumes his relationship with Uhura. On Scotty's recommendation, Jaylah is accepted to Starfleet Academy. And after their shore leave aboard Yorktown, the crew resume their five-year mission aboard their new ship, the USS Enterprise-A.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
If Kirk's that bored by his job, I guess in the JJ timeline the Enterprise didn't get to do all the stuff that happened for three years in the Prime timeline. Shame, as I'd kind of hoped there'd be a quick roundup in the opening credits of giant green hands, half-black and half-white guys, tribbles falling on Kirk's head, etc.

The Narada's arrival also turned the Yorktown from a starship into a starbase, apparently.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah what an odd angle.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Holy cow, that Spock cosplayer. I did a google search and apparently he's called Spock Vegas and he looks and sounds uncannily like Leonard Nimoy. Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Okay, that shouldn't have made me tear up. Goddammit.