Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

OwlFancier posted:

Edit the starting gear to give everyone cowboy hats.

It's a tiresome oversight but easily corrected.

Gonna make a "Wild West" scenario

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Gonna make a "Wild West" scenario

A scenario where you start with 3x cowboy hats, 3x ponchos, 3x revolvers, beans and whisky.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Makes me wonder how many Firefly based scenarios are already floating around on Steam.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Omi no Kami posted:

Ooh that's really useful, thanks!

And yea, I'm not sure how I feel about the random events; it kind of feels like he tried to emulate the DF chaos, but doing it through RNG instead of by presenting a mostly-deterministic economy that's so complicated that your attempts to manage it will likely result in horrible, horrible doom make it feel kinda cheap.

there's nothing wrong with dialing down the difficulty while you get a grasp on logistics and colonist work assignments. rimworld's ai is brutal by design. you can't even make it through the toughest AI without doing incredibly cheesy strats

started a new game trying out tribals for the first time last night, and i put it on basically free play until i get the hang of how they work

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

The thing about tribal societies is that they can up stakes and move to more plentiful or comfortable areas. Your colonists cannot do that, as a rule, so the game is forcing you to fortify and eventually gentrify your landing zone.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Huszsersvn posted:

The thing about tribal societies is that they can up stakes and move to more plentiful or comfortable areas. Your colonists cannot do that, as a rule, so the game is forcing you to fortify and eventually gentrify your landing zone.

is there a special endgame for tribals that doesn't end in (hilariously) building a starship and becoming space nomads?

tribals having to stock up a huge amount of food and supplies then just leaving for another map could be a fun game mode. right now it's just an extra handicap for starting with more settlers. oh and frantic berry picking because i'm too used to a month's worth of instant ramen scattered across the map

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Anyone got any idea how to update a mod once you've put it on the workshop? I uploaded the first draft of my Minerals & Materials mod to the workshop earlier but I found a bug since and fixed it, but I don't know how the heck to actually upload the fixed version to the workshop.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
turn on dev mode, go into mods, click on your mod, and there should be an "update on steam" button

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Popular Thug Drink posted:

is there a special endgame for tribals that doesn't end in (hilariously) building a starship and becoming space nomads?

tribals having to stock up a huge amount of food and supplies then just leaving for another map could be a fun game mode. right now it's just an extra handicap for starting with more settlers. oh and frantic berry picking because i'm too used to a month's worth of instant ramen scattered across the map

I haven't built the spaceship since like, my first couple of sittings when I bought the game in Alpha 9. Unfortunately no, there isn't an alternate "stuff to do" path for them (at least not yet) but I don't care about that at all anyway.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Dev mode.. it would be dev mode, wouldn't it? The one thing I didn't try out because I figured it was too arbitrary to be that. :psyduck:
Thanks for your help!

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
Is there a mod that lets me move prisoners as I would regular colonists? I want to line them up in a cave after doing medical experiments and shoot them.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You can just set their bed back to Colonist and set another bed to Prisoner, and someone with the Warden labor enabled will presently come along and move them (or you can manually prioritize it)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Slumpy posted:

Is there a mod that lets me move prisoners as I would regular colonists? I want to line them up in a cave after doing medical experiments and shoot them.

:yikes:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

To be fair this game affords you a lot of opportunities to be monstrously inhuman.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My personal favorite is to disable the home zone around the prisoner shack and have someone throw molotovs at it

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I send you this file in order to have your advice!
I am just getting into this game and decided to check out some of these mods that so many people say they "can't play without".

However, I can't seem to find any that work with A14. The list in the OP all threw errors about being for A13 or earlier.

What are the current most useful mods that actually work with this release, and what's the best way to find/obtain them?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I kinda just release prisoners if I decide they're not worth the effort. Am I doing it wrong?

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Every single prisoner I've had (including spacers dropping from the sky) had 99% recruitment difficulty and I just didn't have the manpower available to keep chatting them up, so I always release them. I can't afford the mood hit for doing terrible things to them, and you do get a small relations boost with their faction when releasing prisoners.

And being tribals, my colonists wouldn't be able to sell the various human organs anyway since every trader I've seen has been total poo poo.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Lunethex posted:

To be fair this game affords you a lot of opportunities to be monstrously inhuman.

I guess it's better to read about goons acting out their weird torture fantasies in this thread than in the newspaper. Still, gross.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Broken Cog posted:

I kinda just release prisoners if I decide they're not worth the effort. Am I doing it wrong?

I just release them for the faction boost on tribals, and only capture pirates I intend to recruit. Nobody cares if you execute them on the ground. I just use all the corpses for the medical training mod (uses the corpses to practice medicine)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE posted:

I am just getting into this game and decided to check out some of these mods that so many people say they "can't play without".

However, I can't seem to find any that work with A14. The list in the OP all threw errors about being for A13 or earlier.

What are the current most useful mods that actually work with this release, and what's the best way to find/obtain them?

Oh sorry I thought I got rid of the lists, everything's out of date because they just moved to A14, nothing major works with it yet. Anything on the workshop should though so I'd start there.

Broken Cog posted:

You should probably cut some useful organs off them, especially if they're raiders, call it pre-emptive debt collection.

But you can probably hold off on the ceremonial murder and butchery followed by making chairs out of their skin.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Broken Cog posted:

no, that's fine. releasing prisoners raises their faction level a bit when they leave the map, so if there's a tribe that hates you releasing enough of their prisoners over time will get them to stop hating you

pirates will hate you forever. you can release pirates, sell them to slavers, or harvest their organs, or kill them, up to you

if someone's at 99 difficulty you might as well cut them loose, it will take forever to recruit them

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE posted:

imo there's no essential mods, i think vanilla is fine. mods are better for when it gets stale or if you just can't stand the ui

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Most of the core mods I use have been updated. What ones were on the list?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Azhais posted:

Most of the core mods I use have been updated. What ones were on the list?

A list of some good mods for the game, EDB interface is highly recommended by all users, others add gameplay modifications to taste.

I just cut that out of the OP so I'd guess that's the one, I don't want to leave it in when it's out of date with new folk coming into the thread.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

OwlFancier posted:

A list of some good mods for the game, EDB interface is highly recommended by all users, others add gameplay modifications to taste.

I just cut that out of the OP so I'd guess that's the one, I don't want to leave it in when it's out of date with new folk coming into the thread.

Just going down that list:

EdB Interface is basically built in.

Pawn status hasn't been updated for 3 patches. There's a newer version:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=19941.0

Vein Miner has been discontinued, there's a new mod that does that here:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=16098.0

Winter is here I've never used, but I imagine going with "climate cycle" in a scenario would get you much the same thing

Zombie apocalypse has been updated (original guy MIA since A11 so the topic never updates)

Prison improvements hasn't been updated since A12, could just remove.

Never used "Can I brew it", but Vegetable Garden adds all that booze and more:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=12934.0

Extended surgery and biotics I'd just replace with Expanded Prosthetics and Organ Engineering:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=10571.0

Gunsmithing table hasn't been updated since A9. There are a variety of other smithing options out there. Brunayla probably has the most comprehensive
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=7179.0

Caveworld flora hasn't been updated yet, but your link is wrong for where it will be:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=13172

Bulk meals has an unofficial patch. Tho I'm getting "craft 4 meals" tasks in my game, so either that's made it to vanilla or vegetable garden adds it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Got a message about a Pop Idol on the run from a nearby group of pirates, so I decided to let her in. Turns out she was 80 years old, frail and with a bad back, and the pirates caught up to her long before I could intervene.

Sorry lady, I tried.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I send you this file in order to have your advice!
Thanks for the info on the mods, vanilla does seem fine but I'll look around the workshop as well.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Alaan posted:

I started putting switches between charged batteries and the grid because of that. Have just enough to last the day active at any time.

RT Power Switch is a nice mod that does this automatically. You can make a subnet that will only connect to the main power grid if the power's about to turn off, and then it disconnects again automatically when all batteries are fully charged.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Roadie posted:

RT Power Switch is a nice mod that does this automatically. You can make a subnet that will only connect to the main power grid if the power's about to turn off, and then it disconnects again automatically when all batteries are fully charged.

If I have RT's mods installed I generally just build a bunch of fuses. Another handy thing to do with batteries is simply uninstall them after they're full. They stay charged forever sitting in your stockpile, so you can easily install them if you suddenly have a power shortage

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

BrianRx posted:

I guess it's better to read about goons acting out their weird torture fantasies in this thread than in the newspaper. Still, gross.

yeah agreed, carebears is the only good show on tv.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Got a message about a Pop Idol on the run from a nearby group of pirates, so I decided to let her in. Turns out she was 80 years old, frail and with a bad back, and the pirates caught up to her long before I could intervene.

Sorry lady, I tried.

same

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/261590659819751386/AADD227ADBC6A302EC5B78185D2B4D60D754CDFD/

Be thankful yours died on the way in.

e: "incapable of: caring" just slays me

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Popular Thug Drink posted:

if someone's at 99 difficulty you might as well cut them loose, it will take forever to recruit them

It's good to keep at least one prisoner around to combat skill decay for Warden.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Flesh Forge posted:

It's good to keep at least one prisoner around to combat skill decay for Warden.

It's better to mod skill decay out, because it's bullshit.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Vasudus posted:

There's a mod called "mad skills", don't know if it's been updated, that has a variety of options. I'm partial to the "don't decay below current level" version. I don't really care if they lose some skill, but it's really annoying when your doctor loses 4 levels because nobody's been hurt in a while

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Vasudus posted:

That's true yeah, although it's still good to keep a guy around for steady practice unless your socializer(s) are maxed out.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Somebody please mod in bug spray grenades, so when bugs spawn in my exploratory mining tunnels I can clear them out easily.

On a related note I revealed like 2 full screens (at 1440p) of mountain by digging and didn't find any plasteel at all.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
At one time wasn't there a mod that let you remove stomachs to make a prisoner starve to death?

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
So I got this yesterday and have been having a blast dying over and over while my age-addled brain tries to recalibrate to how ten years ago me was able to play dwarf fortress. Is there a way to map out what you mine out without clicking on every drat individual tile as they slowly get revealed? I don't have the patience for that kind of micromanagement and I don't care if I accidentally dig too greedily/deep in the process.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Bushiz posted:

So I got this yesterday and have been having a blast dying over and over while my age-addled brain tries to recalibrate to how ten years ago me was able to play dwarf fortress. Is there a way to map out what you mine out without clicking on every drat individual tile as they slowly get revealed? I don't have the patience for that kind of micromanagement and I don't care if I accidentally dig too greedily/deep in the process.
You can highlight large areas for mining using the orders menu. I usually just make a guess as to how the vein of steel or whatever might look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

There's a UI mod that automatically selects an entire vein, look in the Rimworld mods forum and see if it's been updated.