Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
No 1060s in stock except the $300 FE.

Slim pickings for 1070 cards that are priced-gouged.

No release date for the custom RX480 cards.

No news on the RX470 cards.

Worse time to upgrade your video card indeed. I might just wait until I build a new system for Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Yeah gently caress all this nonsense. I'll have enough creditcard cashback to get a card for "free" by end of year.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i don't know that i'd really call the 1070s "price-gouged." at most they are at like a $10-20 premium, the reality is just that everyone assumed they'd all be $380 when that's only ever going to be pricing for rock bottom, barebones cards.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I wish I had found this monitor a year ago, so that I could be running on a 390 and not really have to sit around waiting endlessly for this or that. These launches have all been "hurry up and wait" thus far.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

wicka posted:

i don't know that i'd really call the 1070s "price-gouged." at most they are at like a $10-20 premium, the reality is just that everyone assumed they'd all be $380 when that's only ever going to be pricing for rock bottom, barebones cards.

In the UK however the pricing seems to basically be £=$
I mean, even after Brexit, that's a fairly big disparity.
That being said apparently it's even worse everywhere else.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

sout posted:

In the UK however the pricing seems to basically be £=$
I mean, even after Brexit, that's a fairly big disparity.
That being said apparently it's even worse everywhere else.

Is this that unusual for the rest of the world? You guys didn't get the $200 R9-290s 2 years ago either, and from what I understand have always gotten shafted on Intel CPUs.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, it's nothing new really, just frustrating.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

spasticColon posted:

Worse time to upgrade your video card indeed. I might just wait until I build a new system for Christmas.

http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx1060/

Set up an alert. I managed to get the Zotac one yesterday from newegg no problems. The 1060s are in and out of stock every couple hours, especially the smaller ones (EVGA, Zotac). The MSI one is in stock at the moment.

http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/amd/rx480/

Looks like a reference 480 is available from newegg too.

Edit: looks like those 480s are for bundles only. One with a PSU and one with an AMD processor.

Enigma fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 20, 2016

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Really anxious for the RX470 and RX460 because it'd allow me to trade in on a shitton or old cards for people I know and myself. On my work list I have a 8800GT, GTX280, HD5750, R7 240, HD6950, HD7850, GTX760 R9 270X and GT 730. The RX460 is a massive improvement on most of that, and for 50$ the RX470 handles the rest.

This is also a space Nvidia doesn't seem to ready to compete in yet and there is still of ton ye olds cards out there Polaris is a good replacement for.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Something building my own PC is for a long time now but it's somebody who has historically bought budget cards for gaming I never really kept up with the nonsense of new card release. I'm really curious if anyone has answers why supply is so constrained. Is it really just a matter of parts and production or is it intentional scarcity to drive hype and prices. I'm assuming at least a little truth to both but this is seriously a shitshow for people who want to give them money.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Anandtech posted their 1070/1080 review, fashionably late as always :v:

The benchmarks are just a token effort at this point but their architecture breakdown goes much deeper than any other review I've seen.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Enigma posted:

http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx1060/

Set up an alert. I managed to get the Zotac one yesterday from newegg no problems. The 1060s are in and out of stock every couple hours, especially the smaller ones (EVGA, Zotac). The MSI one is in stock at the moment.

http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/amd/rx480/

Looks like a reference 480 is available from newegg too.

Edit: looks like those 480s are for bundles only. One with a PSU and one with an AMD processor.

I set up alerts yesterday for the cheaper 1060 cards but no luck so far. I'm not paying $300 for the FE or the MSI card.

And I would want a custom RX480 not the reference model.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

spasticColon posted:

1) there is no/very little price gouging really... Just cards with different feature sets.

2) the worst time to buy a video card isnt now, its at Christmas when you realize that you lost 6 months of having the card in the peak of its lifecycle and all you have to show for it is like $30-$40 off the price, because gpus hold their msrp like crazy compared to other tech stuff.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

wicka posted:

$400 for a non-blower (not from asus :lol:) is reasonable and pretty common if you look at physical store prices.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Taima posted:

1) there is no/very little price gouging really... Just cards with different feature sets.

2) the worst time to buy a video card isnt now, its at Christmas when you realize that you lost 6 months of having the card in the peak of its lifecycle and all you have to show for it is like $30-$40 off the price, because gpus hold their msrp like crazy compared to other tech stuff.

poo poo, i felt dumb holding off a couple weeks just to see what the 480 would be like

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

NihilCredo posted:

I was getting ready to dig into the AIB 1060 comparatives (so far it's looking like I'm going Palit again), but then I had a thought...

What is everybody's best guess about the % of AAA games that will support Vulkan in 2017-2018? Seems to me that if the answer is "a lot", I might end up regretting not going team red this time.

It's likely more games will be dx12 than vulkan and even then it will be 2018 when dx12 and vulkan truly become default. Choosing between the 480 and 1060 comes down to what you want from it.

If you want the card to last about 2 years and/or you tend to not play games close to launch then the 1060 is gonna be a better bet.

If you want to keep the card for 3+ years and like to play the latest games, then the 480 might be better. AMD cards have always aged better and the 480 definitely will over the 1060 eventually.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 21, 2016

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I feel the opposite, that Vulkan will become more common than DX12 due to it being used on two consoles (NX and Neo), mobile, and the overall wider OS support while being no more difficult to work with than DX12. It was mentioned by someone more authoritative than me, but compiling DX12 to Vulkan isn't exactly the task it would be between DirectX and OpenGL as well. DX12 works exclusively on Windows 10 and Xbox, so Vulkan definitely has more marketshare reach and more people pushing it (Valve and Bethesda for instance).

I just don't see how DX12 can compete with an equal API that just as easy to program for and has way more reach.

regular mike
Mar 29, 2010
Can anyone knowledgeable about 480's talk to me about temperature? I bought the MSI 8gb 480 and the thermal diode very quickly reported it up to 87c under load when I was benchmarking it. I've been looking for the card's operation ceiling and haven't found much. I've got a brand new case with some nice fans and I've made sure the intake fan on the card is clear of cables. Is this going to be a problem and is there a solution other than sticking on another chassis fan?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

spasticColon posted:

Worst time to have a video card fail as well. My R9 270X decided to shot the bed when I did a CPU/Motherboard/RAM* upgrade on May 1st.

*from FX8350/990FX/8GB to 5820K/X99/32GB

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
If anyone's wavering about the FE because they're not sure when Nvidia will ship it, I ordered one late yesterday morning and just got a tracking number now with an estimated delivery of Saturday. I'm not really thrilled about the price but I'm sure it will be enough of an improvement over my 7850 that it won't bother me in the end.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Still waiting on custom rx480s ugh gonna check back in 2 weeks

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
When do the cards start coming bundled with games and stuff? After 6 months for the 970/980?

Mega Comrade posted:

If you want the card to last about 2 years and/or you tend to not play games close to launch then the 1060 is gonna be a better bet.

If you want to keep the card for 3+ years and like to play the latest games, then the 480 might be better. AMD cards have always aged better and the 480 definitely will over the 1060 eventually.

Wait, in your scenario, why would you buy the 1060 at all?

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Are there any 1070 models that are considered 'better' in some way than the others? The sheer number of models, even from the same manufacturer, bewilders me. I realize people are just grabbing whatever is in stock, but I'm not in any rush. I have an EVGA model now and it's nice, although I think my 770 is outside of the step-up window at this point :v:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ItBurns posted:

Are there any 1070 models that are considered 'better' in some way than the others?

Not really, stock performance might differ but they all overclock to the same level.

It just comes down to differences in customer support (EVGA is best) and noise levels (MSI is best, at least in dual-slot designs).

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I am building a friend a new machine and he got an evga 1070 sc and it seems pretty nice. I think honestly beyond the cooling (2 fan vs 3 fan, size vs noise under heavy load) they're going to be pretty samey across 10x0

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

regular mike posted:

Can anyone knowledgeable about 480's talk to me about temperature? I bought the MSI 8gb 480 and the thermal diode very quickly reported it up to 87c under load when I was benchmarking it. I've been looking for the card's operation ceiling and haven't found much. I've got a brand new case with some nice fans and I've made sure the intake fan on the card is clear of cables. Is this going to be a problem and is there a solution other than sticking on another chassis fan?

That's why everybody is saying the AMD reference blower sucks big time and to wait for custom models.
You'd need to manually undervolt (and possibly underclock) the card to keep it silent, ramp up the fan profile to keep it cool, or install a fan on top and glue something to the VRMs.
Maybe return it?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So this is probably a stupid question, but here we go!

If I am for sure not going to be doing anything with VR this current generation, so should assume that a 1080 isn't worth the money I'd pay for it? Right now I am eyeballing one of those fancy g-sync 144hz 1440p monitors, but I don't know if I should lean towards a 1060 or a 1070 -- my main titles are Overwatch , Total War: Warhammer and whatever history games from Paradox, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Would a 1060 be able to fully utilize a fancy $700ish monitor?

Thanks!

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Ragingsheep posted:

Wait, in your scenario, why would you buy the 1060 at all?

I only want it for 2 years and I own 0 dx12/vulkan games. I haven't even got around to playing GTAV yet. For my planned use the 1060 is the better card.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

regular mike posted:

What benchmarking are you using? I'll run my XFX through it to compare when I get home.

Re case I have two fans pulling from the front and two venting through the top. I was thinking of adding another outlet from the back/side around where the cpu is just to dissipate heat better as the pc is under a desk.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Any predictions on how power-hungry the 1080 Ti is going to be? I'm in the market for a new PSU but I'd like to leave open the option of SLI'ing high-end cards down the road. I have a 5820K, which pulls >200W (let's say 250W to be safe) when overclocked. If each card is in the 300-350W range that puts me over what I'm comfortable drawing from a 1000W unit at 100% duty cycle.

I'm thinking something in the 1200-1300W class to be safe? Looking at the EVGA 1300W G2 or the 1200W P2.

I have a 980 Ti Classified right now and at stock clocks I'm pulling 500-550W under load as measured by my UPS. The Rosewill Capstone series are supposed to be decent but it won't take that much load for more than about 5 minutes before it starts overheating.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 21, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

If I am for sure not going to be doing anything with VR this current generation, so should assume that a 1080 isn't worth the money I'd pay for it? Right now I am eyeballing one of those fancy g-sync 144hz 1440p monitors, but I don't know if I should lean towards a 1060 or a 1070 -- my main titles are Overwatch , Total War: Warhammer and whatever history games from Paradox, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Would a 1060 be able to fully utilize a fancy $700ish monitor?

Thanks!

If you can afford a 1070 get that, it will fit the 1440p monitor better, also while Overwatch and Paradox games will run fine on a 1060 TW:WH is stupidly demanding and will stress even a 1070.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Thanks!

A 1060 will not be able to fully utilize a 1440p 144hz monitor no. In fact, nothing will, but a 1080 is the best choice for performance for that monitor. A 1070 will do well depending on what you're used to or what you're expecting, and for a game like Overwatch it will run great even. But in either case, a 1060 isn't going to cut it unless you're willing to drop a lot of settings to make use of that monitor, in my opinion.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

A 1060 will not be able to fully utilize a 1440p 144hz monitor no. In fact, nothing will, but a 1080 is the best choice for performance for that monitor. A 1070 will do well depending on what you're used to or what you're expecting, and for a game like Overwatch it will run great even. But in either case, a 1060 isn't going to cut it unless you're willing to drop a lot of settings to make use of that monitor, in my opinion.

I know this isn't the thread for this question, but which monitor would best utilize a 1070 -- all things being equal? I can afford a 1080, but frankly the price tag is a bit off putting (especially if I include a real-deal monitor with it).

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

mango sentinel posted:

Microcenter near me got some 1060s in stock but it's all the MSI Gaming X version which is $299 instead of $249 fffffffffffff

It's a poorly kept secret, but it never hurts to try to haggle at Microcenter. Of course, on brand new GPUs they know they're going to sell regardless, expect to be cordially told to die in a fire unless you're buying poo poo for a whole system refresh.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Any predictions on how power-hungry the 1080 Ti is going to be?

A fully overclocked 1080 pulls 206W, so running with Maxwell's precedent that the big chip has 50% more cores I would plan for ~310W per card.

So yeah, 1200-1300W if you're aiming for SLI :unsmigghh:

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I know this isn't the thread for this question, but which monitor would best utilize a 1070 -- all things being equal? I can afford a 1080, but frankly the price tag is a bit off putting (especially if I include a real-deal monitor with it).

If you are going to buy a Real Deal Monitor that runs 144 Hz you probably want to spend the extra money on the 1080 to get you as close to that 144 Hz mark as possible. A 1070 is going to be cutting it close at best. That being said, the 1070 is a great card so if I were going to shave money somewhere I'd probably spend more on the monitor than the GPU.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

TenementFunster posted:

thanks for doing my dirty work, lurker. looks like i'll have a whole 12mm in width and 2mm in height to spare!
lol the card doesn't fit by a few millimeters because it hits the cables on the power adapters. does anybody make a flat/low profile 6/8pin power adapter I could attach?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Id buy a 1070 and sell it for a 1080ti later honestly, and buy the sweet monitor . Gsync will really help in the interim.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

TenementFunster posted:

lol the card doesn't fit by a few millimeters because it hits the cables on the power adapters. does anybody make a flat/low profile 6/8pin power adapter I could attach?

How about one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Left-Angle-Female-8-Pin-PCI-E-to-8-Pin-Lay-Flat-Power-PSU-Ver-7-/231999786402

Never tried them personally. There's also 6pin and reversed orientation depending on what you need (:gay:), just search the same terms from the title. May or may not clear, but it's a couple mm extra.

EVGA also makes a low-profile bracket called the "EVGA Power Link" but who knows whether it'll fit an MSI card.

How's TFR? Still making GBS threads on lovely guns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
My 1080 and XB271hu came in Monday and I got them all set up... holy poo poo.

Overwatch and Doom both run at 120-180 fps, and between the 165hz refresh rate and G-Sync they look loving amazing. Games have never felt so smooth and honestly it feels far easier to aim in Overwatch.