Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Captain Fargle posted:

I think I'd like to start the multiplayer game in a week. Who would be available on Saturday the 23rd?

Depends on the time; I'm occupied from 1pm to 4pm (US Central), but otherwise mostly free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

287/287 MOTHERFUCKERS.

287/287

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
I can do any time up to 9pm GMT on the 23rd, opening at work 6am on Sunday. Same thing next weekend too. Would also be free Sunday from like 5pm GMT to whenever, to be more US friendly.

Also don't get the 287/287. Artemis? Babylon?
E: oh Achievements. Woo grats

Frozen_flame fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 17, 2016

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Captain Fargle posted:

Gods and Kings
Brave New World
Babylon
Korea
Denmark
Polynesia
Inca and Spain
Wonders of the Ancient World

I think I'd like to start the multiplayer game in a week. Who would be available on Saturday the 23rd?

I should be available. (I'm in CEST)

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I have something in the UK evening on Saturdays, but otherwise free.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8A1UrjF6YM

Blastinus joins me again for Part 2.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Man, Vancouver's going to be unusually warm this year.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Blastinus posted:

Man, Vancouver's going to be unusually warm this year.

Climate Change is real.

Man, practicing I'm way more awful at warfare than I thought!

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Captain Fargle, you need to get better at justifying the oddities thematically! Attacking city-states is like beating up small children, nobody approves of that.

And as much as I'd love to play Canada, it seems rather shaky. Clearly they should just put our cities under England/France, nobody would be mad about that... Also, randomisation among city names would be good. No need for the cities to be the same names in the same order all the time.

In my dream Civ wonders would just not be startable after you discover the foe who has one, but could still be finished. The instant worldwide communication with civilizations that have no other contact is very silly. You would have to tone down the power of some now that most players might get them rather than risking the gambles.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

rchandra posted:

Captain Fargle, you need to get better at justifying the oddities thematically! Attacking city-states is like beating up small children, nobody approves of that.

And as much as I'd love to play Canada, it seems rather shaky. Clearly they should just put our cities under England/France, nobody would be mad about that... Also, randomisation among city names would be good. No need for the cities to be the same names in the same order all the time.

In my dream Civ wonders would just not be startable after you discover the foe who has one, but could still be finished. The instant worldwide communication with civilizations that have no other contact is very silly. You would have to tone down the power of some now that most players might get them rather than risking the gambles.

The problem with that is it kind of penalises exploring. "Oh, you found someone. Now you are competing for wonders". And no-one would bother exploring at all until they had the Great Library, for instance.

Oh, as for post colonial nations in Civ - Indonesia is also in. And Indonesia as a unified(ish) entity is totally post colonial.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jul 18, 2016

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Veloxyll posted:

The problem with that is it kind of penalises exploring. "Oh, you found someone. Now you are competing for wonders". And no-one would bother exploring at all until they had the Great Library, for instance.

Oh, as for post colonial nations in Civ - Indonesia is also in. And Indonesia as a unified(ish) entity is totally post colonial.

It's called Indonesia but given the leader and uniques it's very clearly supposed to represent pre-colonial Indonesia, specifically the Kingdom of Majapahit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kj8EEd5kEc

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 18, 2016

psluuthor
Oct 29, 2011
Maybe it would be worth it to wait until you get sailing so you have one more trade route, then buy a caravan to send food to your second city so you have a better chance of getting petra. That would delay national college by a few more turns, but it you get petra it could turn the game around.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF__E6WImE0

With regards to Saturday and the multiplayer game I'm going to say 8pm UK time is when I'd like to kick things off over at:

https://www.twitch.tv/captainfargle

If we can get enough folks together multiplayer will happen otherwise I'll probably play one of the scenarios or something in single player. Bear in mind if you want to play you'll have to be able to stick around for a few hours. Multiplayer Civ isn't quick.

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 19, 2016

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'll watch, but I've played enough to know I am awful at the game.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Ah dang I can't do that. Next time, maybe. Antisocial gaming hours woo

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
If it were an hour later I'd be able to do it. Ah well.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Senerio posted:

I'll watch, but I've played enough to know I am awful at the game.

Fargle needs someone to show up!

And having been playing around with military victory attempts, re episode 3 comments - auto-pathfinding can take units on ~magical adventures~ especially through busy areas.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

You could form an alliance of terribleness, show off a few things like defensive pacts.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDhIIIIvpaI

We're going to have a fun time of it pulling a win out of this one.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I guess Poland is getting razed then.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
About Saturday night's slaughterama: I'll see if I can squeeze in a couple of hours to watch, won't have time for much more than that.

Veloxyll posted:

I guess Poland is getting razed then.

So typical for Civ, isn't it? In the past games, Casimir was on our side, now he's our prime target.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abwsGwE8Kr8

In which Blastinus and I hatch a plan.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

I'm surprised you didn't try to swap open borders with England instead of selling yours for 1 gold per turn.

Also, both of the new civilizations had cotton for trade, for Vancouver.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
I guess I might be up for multiplayer on saturday, although I'm a total amateur and this will be the first time I'll play against a human opponent. How long does a game usually take?

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Dragonwagon posted:

I guess I might be up for multiplayer on saturday, although I'm a total amateur and this will be the first time I'll play against a human opponent. How long does a game usually take?

A considerable amount of time tbh. The game will have to be played across multiple sessions.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
As long as it's saturdays I can probably make time.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Yeah. it takes literally hours. Like. Think how long a Fargle playthrough takes. Then increase it by about half for other people having wars.
(IIRC wars in multiplayer are done one player at a time)

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 22, 2016

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Veloxyll posted:

Yeah. it takes literally hours. Like. Think how long a Fargle playthrough takes. Then increase it by about half for other people having wars.
(IIRC wars in multiplayer are done one player at a time)

There are different settings. You can have everyone go together, you can have passing turns, or you can have a "hybrid" mode where everyone moves together unless two players are at war, at which point they take turns. That last mode keeps breaking for me, it killed a couple of my games where people just couldn't do anything and even rehosting the game didn't work. I'm not sure if it's just me or is it simply broken.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tevery Best posted:

There are different settings. You can have everyone go together, you can have passing turns, or you can have a "hybrid" mode where everyone moves together unless two players are at war, at which point they take turns. That last mode keeps breaking for me, it killed a couple of my games where people just couldn't do anything and even rehosting the game didn't work. I'm not sure if it's just me or is it simply broken.
It is simply broken. :(

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD25riE8F8k

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Here's your regularly scheduled episode for the day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H55uds8nt8

We're also going to be live over here at: https://twitch.tv/captainfargle in about six hours for multiplayer shenanigans.

EDIT: Stream is now over. A fun old session despite the technical issues. If you missed and want to catch up you can watch the VOD on Twitch or wait until I push it to Youtube sometime tomorrow. The game will resume with another stream next week at the same time.

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 24, 2016

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

For those who missed the game: we played for roughly four hours and made it into the Renaissance, despite the netcode's best efforts.
One of the weirder things, aside from the "normal" freezes ended up being the location of my third city, Dur-Kurigalzu.
It started out being settled one tile to the SE of a mountain, for the observatory, however on fargle's PC it was displayed one tile SW to where I had actually placed it.
After an automatic resync, things improved somewhat, at least fargle now had the city in the right tile. My end was a bit... screwier:

A full rehost then improved things... marginally:

Look specifically at the tile yields...

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

sheep-dodger posted:

Look specifically at the tile yields...

Forgive me, I don't see it. You're getting an extra hammer some places. Did this just happen without explicable reason?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Teledahn posted:

Forgive me, I don't see it. You're getting an extra hammer some places. Did this just happen without explicable reason?

The city only providing one food I assume.

Thanks Netcode.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

yeah, when I founded the city it should have cleared the swamp SE of the mountain, thanks to the netcode it didn't and somehow moved the tile yield to the tile where the city was initially located on fargle's end. I also can't improve that tile where that extra hammer is shown.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Is that thing on your screen some sort of interface mod?

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Tevery Best posted:

Is that thing on your screen some sort of interface mod?

He's using the Enhanced UI mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPiyDeWBOZU

EDIT: Impromptu Civ 5 multiplayer stream happening sometime in the next hour over at https://twitch.tv/captainfargle

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 24, 2016

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Today's episode is going to be delayed a little due to recording schedules. It'll technically be tomorrow by the time it goes up. :p

EDIT: We're an hour into Tuesday but here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O63fIQ1GJe8

Ye gods this game scares me.

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 26, 2016

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Siam clearly wields the power of Babyface to annoy Fargle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It's late now that the city's been burned to the ground, but the "cz" in Szczecin is pronounced rather like the one in "Czech". It's the city that used to be called Stettin when it was part of Germany. :eng101:

• Locked thread