Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the
It's Unity + C#. I'm using DOTween for animations. I tried to use Unity's built in animator for about half a day before getting frustrated and dropping it to do everything in code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Finally got around to learning how to do shadow mapping.

http://magcius.github.io/pbrtview/src/pbrtview.html

It doesn't look 100% right -- the texture isn't projected to where the hole "should" be. But it looks good enough for a first pass.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

TastyShrimpPlatter posted:

I added sounds and more animations to my game. It's still pretty rough, but it's getting there.

https://vimeo.com/174081055

That looks amazing and I'm immediately intrigued by the gameplay shown. A suggestion though, maybe an easier way to see which way the cars are facing at a glance? Perhaps an alternative design to the car or arrows?

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

That looks amazing and I'm immediately intrigued by the gameplay shown. A suggestion though, maybe an easier way to see which way the cars are facing at a glance? Perhaps an alternative design to the car or arrows?

This indeed looks amazing. Another option would be to give them slight cones of light (just yellow-ish), since that would already mark directions.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

hendersa posted:

BeagleSNES stuff

Are you still working on BeagleSNES? When I contacted you a couple of months ago to drag you back into these threads, you mentioned that you had something in the works. Is that still going on? The BeagleBone Black I bought for BeagleSNES was, frankly, poo poo. It would shut off randomly, the connectors were all finicky, etc. I'm thinking about buying another one, but I want to find out if the project is still live before I do.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Centripetal Horse posted:

Are you still working on BeagleSNES? When I contacted you a couple of months ago to drag you back into these threads, you mentioned that you had something in the works. Is that still going on? The BeagleBone Black I bought for BeagleSNES was, frankly, poo poo. It would shut off randomly, the connectors were all finicky, etc. I'm thinking about buying another one, but I want to find out if the project is still live before I do.
The short answer is "yes". The longer answer is "not right at the moment, since I'm wrapping up my dissertation for my PhD." The last time I has some breathing room to work on any of my projects was back in March. Hopefully, I'll get my PhD defense out of the way sometime in September and be able to get back to work on it. I did get my gamepad firmware running on the Black's PRU and verified that it worked with the native controllers via my BESCape, so that is good. I also got the new web interface for configuring/loading/removing ROMs working in March, so much of the new plumbing is done. I just need to integrate everything, regression test, and rewrite the manual.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

hendersa posted:

The short answer is "yes". The longer answer is "not right at the moment, since I'm wrapping up my dissertation for my PhD." The last time I has some breathing room to work on any of my projects was back in March. Hopefully, I'll get my PhD defense out of the way sometime in September and be able to get back to work on it. I did get my gamepad firmware running on the Black's PRU and verified that it worked with the native controllers via my BESCape, so that is good. I also got the new web interface for configuring/loading/removing ROMs working in March, so much of the new plumbing is done. I just need to integrate everything, regression test, and rewrite the manual.

I don't know why you academic types always make this sound so hard.

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the

Hollow Talk posted:

This indeed looks amazing. Another option would be to give them slight cones of light (just yellow-ish), since that would already mark directions.

I definitely need to make another pass at readability/accessibility, but that will come after I figure out some more gameplay and rules fixes. I have an idea to add some sort of sim-city-like RCI city building system on top of this too, but I have to make sure this part is solid first.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Centripetal Horse posted:

I don't know why you academic types always make this sound so hard.
Would you believe that my thesis is actually on emulation? It's true!

And to think that my parents thought that fiddling with old video game hardware was a waste of my time. :science:

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

hendersa posted:

Would you believe that my thesis is actually on emulation? It's true!

And to think that my parents thought that fiddling with old video game hardware was a waste of my time. :science:

I want to read more of this!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Back-face culling, Z buffering, and flat shading!

2 FPS!

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Man, that makes me disappointed my current spare time project got side-tracked with studying for work-related certifications instead.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

ErIog posted:

Man, that makes me disappointed my current spare time project got side-tracked with studying for work-related certifications instead.

I've been reading up on geometry and asking dumb questions in YOSPOS.

I changed the triangle rasterization from using barycentric coordinates to the much faster method of splitting the drat things in half and rendering them as a series of horizontal lines instead, with the added bonus of being able to dump the barycentric Z calculation for each pixel and solving a much faster plane equation instead! Now it's infinitely fast :pcgaming:

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

I've been reading up on geometry and asking dumb questions in YOSPOS.

I changed the triangle rasterization from using barycentric coordinates to the much faster method of splitting the drat things in half and rendering them as a series of horizontal lines instead, with the added bonus of being able to dump the barycentric Z calculation for each pixel and solving a much faster plane equation instead! Now it's infinitely fast :pcgaming:

A long, long time ago, I ported the Unreal Tournament software renderer to Linux (we're talking 2001-2002, here). It used the method that you describe as part of a larger span list renderer that was a bit slower on sorting the span lists, but faster on the final draw because it didn't draw the same pixel on the screen over and over. While decent at low resolutions, it slowed down a lot at higher resolutions due to the number of memory copies needed to push the image out to the final framebuffer.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

My graphics knowledge ends somewhere around 1989. Currently I've got four 320x200 layers that get overlaid to produce the final framebuffer: Background, polygons, UI widgets, and text. I suppose this architecture could be a problem if I figure out VBE and upgrade the framebuffers to 640x480.

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

My graphics knowledge ends somewhere around 1989. Currently I've got four 320x200 layers that get overlaid to produce the final framebuffer: Background, polygons, UI widgets, and text. I suppose this architecture could be a problem if I figure out VBE and upgrade the framebuffers to 640x480.
You suppose correctly. I've also been futzing around with old school 3d rendering and the single biggest performance bottleneck is definitely writing the frame buffer to the screen.

As far as drawing triangles goes, the Barycentric approach is simpler, lets you avoid clipping most of the time, gets you nice things like gradients for free, and is trivial to vectorize/parallelize, but it lacks the intangible element of fun that scan line algorithms have.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I mean, you can still do Barycentric in a scanline-like approach by doing triangle setup and inching 1/w, 1/s, and 1/t forward as you march across. But it's not as ridiculously stupid and fun as the classic Hecker method, I agree.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
When I was doing demoscene coding in the late 90's (right before accelators became widely used) this article really helped me out. Basically anything by Paul Nettle around that time was gold. This article gives a basis for a pretty accurate (perspective-correct) rasterizer and I think it's a good starting point if you want to do more complicated things.

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
Probably going to abandon this because its just too big of a project to get it to replace my normal tools. Swift intellisense was not to hard to get rolling in VSCode.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

im appe arr

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
At least I used more than one letter

space kobold
Oct 3, 2009

I'm working on a 2.5d game in pure C, because I hate myself apparently.

Raycasting is fun!

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

space kobold posted:

Raycasting is fun!

So good! Ahh this makes me want to play with raycasting!

space kobold
Oct 3, 2009

BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM. Video games can be so violent.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

space kobold posted:

BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM. Video games can be so violent.

That second rat seems awfully blase about what's going on next to him.

space kobold
Oct 3, 2009

He was spinning around in a circle earlier. :buddy:

I should probably put in some actual game AI.

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

Raycasting is dope and so are those gifs.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
Awesome work. Are you making the graphics too, space kobold?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

steckles posted:

Raycasting is dope and so are those gifs.

I like the graphics - they have a "Sam and Max" meets "Duke Nukem 3D" feel to them

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Bob Morales posted:

I like the graphics - they have a "Sam and Max" meets "Duke Nukem 3D" feel to them

Please go this route.

space kobold
Oct 3, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

That's the plan!

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

Awesome work. Are you making the graphics too, space kobold?

The graphics are done by my art slave friend, Commissar K. He does great, cartoony styled work.

I'll post more updates later when there's something worthwhile to show off. Also, more of you should mess around with raycasting!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

space kobold posted:

Raycasting is fun!

It's a ridiculous amount of fun. Everyone should at least try to make one, at least once. I really think building one piecemeal over the course of a semester could be a great firstish year CS course.

But gently caress doors.

Bob Morales posted:

At one point I had the idea of making a hyper violent fps where the main character from Math Blaster fending off an invasion of Trogs from Word Muncher. Final level would reveal the invasion was a plot by Reader Rabbit to destroy math forever.

Now I want to dig that code out.

Vvv I periodically try again. Last time I got north/south doors working, but not east/west. I'm sure I'll get it some, but still :unsmigghh:

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 3, 2016

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Blue Footed Booby posted:

But gently caress doors.

:getin: (i still don't know how to do stuff like moving entire wall cubes like in wolfenstein :sigh: )

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013
I'm making an application that takes input from your webcam and messes around with it. Last night I developed GUI, customisable bitwise filters and base image tweaking.

Here are some results :catdrugs::
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONTQrX3e_60

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXz-FJKkk5A

Gallery of some weird things: http://imgur.com/a/uAQkd

Sourcecode: https://bitbucket.org/TZer0/videowaves (still in development, will make everything into GUI-buttons tonight and clean the code up a bit)

Download for windows (updated periodically): http://underhound.eu/tzer0/public_www/VideoWaves.zip (requires https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145 - pick the x86 version, but try to just run the application first in case you already have it)

TZer0 fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 11, 2016

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

netcat posted:

:getin: (i still don't know how to do stuff like moving entire wall cubes like in wolfenstein :sigh: )

just make a door with wall texture and make sure its flush not setback

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

TZer0 posted:

I'm making an application that takes input from your webcam and messes around with it. Last night I developed GUI, customisable bitwise filters and base image tweaking.

Here are some results :catdrugs::
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONTQrX3e_60

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXz-FJKkk5A

Gallery of some weird things: http://imgur.com/a/uAQkd

Sourcecode: https://bitbucket.org/TZer0/videowaves (still in development, will make everything into GUI-buttons tonight and clean the code up a bit)
If you aren't already planning this, try and set it up as something a streamer could wire into OBS or the like. You'd likely have a customer base there, for doing weird poo poo in their face cam feed.

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013

Shalinor posted:

If you aren't already planning this, try and set it up as something a streamer could wire into OBS or the like. You'd likely have a customer base there, for doing weird poo poo in their face cam feed.

You could just run the program and do a window/region capture on it. I've already done it.

RexJericho
Mar 20, 2011
I've been writing this hobby program that makes my computer real hot for hours on end and also simulates liquid fluids. Right now I'm using the program to animate fluid flowing through portals. This one's been taking my tiny laptop about 5-10minutes to simulate and 12-15 minutes to render each frame.

Here's a frame rendered in Blender:

Liquid is falling into the orange portals and exiting through the blue portals on the wall.

I've got a GitHub repository for the project here: https://github.com/rlguy/GridFluidSim3D

And some animations created with the program here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdTcAg_G0Go

munce
Oct 23, 2010

RexJericho posted:

I've been writing this hobby program that makes my computer real hot for hours on end and also simulates liquid fluids. Right now I'm using the program to animate fluid flowing through portals. This one's been taking my tiny laptop about 5-10minutes to simulate and 12-15 minutes to render each frame.

Here's a frame rendered in Blender:

Liquid is falling into the orange portals and exiting through the blue portals on the wall.

I've got a GitHub repository for the project here: https://github.com/rlguy/GridFluidSim3D

And some animations created with the program here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdTcAg_G0Go

gently caress yeah. this is proper use of cpu/gpu time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
The grid on the first picture is really making me think of Marble Madness.