Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Quick question - I've got an old Android tablet (Nexus 7) that I want to use as an "announcement board" for our household (we have a few roommates) that automatically scrolls through a few pre-set messages. What app is best for that? I'm hoping there's one that just lets me type in messages instead of creating images for a slideshow each time.

Also check out PowerPoint dupes. WPS Office should do what you want to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

effika posted:

Also check out PowerPoint dupes. WPS Office should do what you want to do.

Just tried out a few and it seems like Google Slides is the best option. Don't know why I hadn't thought of that since I already use Google Apps.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm pretty sure after a week or so it will automatically go away when it sees you are no longer going there every day. How long had it been?

It's been at least a couple weeks. And yeah, as someone else mentioned (phoneposting, can't multiple-quote), Maps will let you clear an address for work or home, but Now won't accept a blank address.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Scaramouche posted:

Weird, have had nothing but good battery life off my Nexus 6p, but something happened today to drive it crazy. The battery is draining faster than usb slow charge can charge it. The only thing I was running was Awful App, Chrome, and Gmail. Have rebooted it to hopefully fix whatever death cycle was going on there, anyone else run into something similar?

I find that Force Closing the Chrome and Camera apps solves all battery drain problems not caused by a gaming app.

Had to do it to the FB messenger app once too.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Been going strong with my SCOSCHE USBC242M chargers in my cars for a few years, but we've switched to S7s and I was wondering what the best option would be to get a Fast-Charge 2.0 capable adapter/cable. SCOSCHE doesn't appear to make a compatible one, which is a bummer, because I've really liked these chargers so far.

They still do O-K with regards to charging, but it's noticeably slower than the Samsung-supplied fast charger.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

The Ferret King posted:

Been going strong with my SCOSCHE USBC242M chargers in my cars for a few years, but we've switched to S7s and I was wondering what the best option would be to get a Fast-Charge 2.0 capable adapter/cable. SCOSCHE doesn't appear to make a compatible one, which is a bummer, because I've really liked these chargers so far.

They still do O-K with regards to charging, but it's noticeably slower than the Samsung-supplied fast charger.

I've had good luck with AUKEY chargers. I just use the one-port one but I usually see people here recommend this one:https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-CC-T8-...harge+3.0&psc=1

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Thanks, I'll check it out!

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
When I hook up my phone to my PC it was always set to just charge and I had to select data transfer on the phone before I was able to copy files. I recently dropped this phone, a oneplus one, and now the screen doesn't register touches anymore. Is there any way to access my files on the internal storage?

Another thing, the 5X I bought to replace it did not come with a seal on the box, now, I don't necessarily consider the vendor shady but I wonder if there's any way to check if the device has been in-use before?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Ones direct from Google often aren't sealed either

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico
Friend of mines Nexus 5 just gave up. What's the best under $200 phone that can be used on Cricket?

I was thinking Moto G or the BLU R1 HD both without offer and ads.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Get the Moto.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

Rubicon posted:

Friend of mines Nexus 5 just gave up. What's the best under $200 phone that can be used on Cricket?

Nexus 5X through Google Fi. 16 GB is rough, but it's 200.

Ad free Moto G4 32GB is 230, but it takes off 50 at checkout. Or at least it did last night.

BLU is okay. It hates Chrome and large websites. It feels cheap as poo poo though, but it is 60 bucks.

Ads aren't that annoying, but kind of weird feeling when you go to unlock.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've been using the same Samsung charger (maybe from my Galaxy Nexus) for years, and I just noticed now that it buzzes faintly. I replaced it with another charger; is it still ok, or should I toss it?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Today I received a notification that my PR Moto Maxx has a system update to Marshmallow now available! :toot:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Apparently some have reported that a security update has been going out to the MXP as well.

The May security update.

Sigh.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

bull3964 posted:

Apparently some have reported that a security update has been going out to the MXP as well.

The May security update.

Sigh.
Yup. My girlfriend received it today. Still no 6.0.1.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Yep, I got a little excited until I saw it was a <10MB download. I was hoping for maybe a more recent monthly security patch but hey May is better than Feb. I'll probably be getting the big Nexus when the new ones are released, even though I really like the active display/bamboo back/always on voice recognition features of my MXP. It'd be cool if that side-processor got put into more phones, if only for the sheer utility of having a way to keep sensors running while sleeping the main CPU. You could save so much battery with that.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

hooah posted:

I've been using the same Samsung charger (maybe from my Galaxy Nexus) for years, and I just noticed now that it buzzes faintly. I replaced it with another charger; is it still ok, or should I toss it?

Those are just loose coil windings in the transformer. It shouldn't do anything except annoy you.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

FAUXTON posted:

Yep, I got a little excited until I saw it was a <10MB download. I was hoping for maybe a more recent monthly security patch but hey May is better than Feb. I'll probably be getting the big Nexus when the new ones are released, even though I really like the active display/bamboo back/always on voice recognition features of my MXP. It'd be cool if that side-processor got put into more phones, if only for the sheer utility of having a way to keep sensors running while sleeping the main CPU. You could save so much battery with that.

The 6P and 5X both do low-power always on listening via a separate DSP.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Do all these quad-core devices sleep three of the cores during standby? How much does that save?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Compared to what? Everything is at least a quad core CPU these days, along with multiple co-processors for things. There's no point in trying to find a lovely CPU to eek out an extra 30 minutes of battery life, just get a credit card sized portable battery for emergencies and enjoy your non-crippled device.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 21, 2016

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
When is google releasing new nexii and who will manufacture them this time

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Calaveron posted:

When is google releasing new nexii and who will manufacture them this time

Most likely November and allegedly HTC will make them.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

RichterIX posted:

I've had good luck with AUKEY chargers. I just use the one-port one but I usually see people here recommend this one:https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-CC-T8-...harge+3.0&psc=1

Seconding this just in case anyone else cares. Been rock solid for me.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
getting ready to make the jump from iPhone (6) to Android and am looking for the best deals on an S7 or S7 Edge. What are the best sites to watch for active promotions? I'm not in any great hurry.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Rubicon posted:

I got a Moto G and it's fantastic. I got the Plus because of the fingerprint reader but I don't think you'll be sad with the G.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Calaveron posted:

When is google releasing new nexii

The way things are going I think Google's 2016 phones will be announced next month/August:

• Google publicly state on the Developer site they're planning to release Nougat to AOSP in August/September

• You can use the former point to infer the release window of this years devices since the relationship between Nexus and AOSP is actually the reverse of what you'd expect. It's Nexus -> AOSP, rather than AOSP -> Nexus. The former head of AOSP put it best on G+

quote:

When we ship to consumers, we take the source code for that version, remove the proprietary hardware files, remove the Google code, and release that source code to AOSP. That means that Nexus devices aren't technically based on AOSP, but rather than AOSP is based on Nexus devices.
    Source: https://plus.google.com/+JeanBaptisteQueru/posts/g8YnZh5begQ (the comments)

• The Nougat statue came out on June 30th. Given how Marshmallow (Statue: 17th August 2015, 5X/6P announcement: 29th September 2015.) and Kitkat (Statue: September 3rd 2013, 5 announcement: 31st October 2013) played out seems reasonable to assume that solo statue unveilings directly correlate to reaching the "mass production" step in Google's official description of how the open source process works:

quote:

Releasing the source code for a new version of the Android platform is a significant process. First, the software gets built into a system image for a device and put through various forms of certification, including government regulatory certification for the regions the phones will be deployed. It also goes through operator testing. This is an important phase of the process, since it helps shake out a lot of software bugs.

Once the release is approved by the regulators and operators, the manufacturer begins mass producing devices, and we turn to releasing the source code.

Simultaneous to mass production, the Google team kicks off several efforts to prepare the open source release. These efforts include making final API changes, updating documentation (to reflect any modifications that were made during qualification testing, for example), preparing an SDK for the new version, and launching the platform compatibility information.

Also included is a final legal sign-off to release the code into open source. Just as open source contributors are required to sign a Contributors License Agreement attesting to their intellectual property ownership of their contribution, Google too must verify it is clear to make contributions.

From the time mass production begins, the software release process usually takes around a month. This often places source code releases around the same time the devices reach users.
    http://source.android.com/source/faqs.html

The "statue = golden master" theory also checks out since a Googler literally leaked the Nexus 5 in the Kitkat statue vid. Seems reasonable that this years devices would be able to make the same 6-8 week statue window as last year given how much smoother the N previews went compared to M.

Calaveron posted:

who will manufacture them this time

There are multiple rumors pointing to Google using HTC as a contract manufacturer, not an OEM partner. So HTC will essentially be to Nexus as Foxconn is to iPhone.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DemonMage posted:

Compared to what? Everything is at least a quad core CPU these days, along with multiple co-processors for things. There's no point in trying to find a lovely CPU to eek out an extra 30 minutes of battery life, just get a credit card sized portable battery for emergencies and enjoy your non-crippled device.

I wasn't proposing to get a crap device, just wondering if they shut down the extra cores and how much running on one core v four or eight saves during sleep if they do.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jul 21, 2016

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'm looking for a 1-ft USB-C to C cable to pair with my USB-C external battery that I'm using with my 6P. From what I've read, cables reviewed by Benson Leung are the least sketchy, but his reviews appear to be limited to A to C cables.

Any short C to C cables anyone can recommend?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

anakha posted:

I'm looking for a 1-ft USB-C to C cable to pair with my USB-C external battery that I'm using with my 6P. From what I've read, cables reviewed by Benson Leung are the least sketchy, but his reviews appear to be limited to A to C cables.

Any short C to C cables anyone can recommend?

The reason he only reviews A to C is that C to C cables don't have the chip that can fry devices. C to C cables are all fine. The only difference is build quality.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Grumpwagon posted:

The reason he only reviews A to C is that C to C cables don't have the chip that can fry devices. C to C cables are all fine. The only difference is build quality.

Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Ha, this replacement droid turbo, less than 1 week old, had a hard lock and I couldn't get it to wake up. Upon reboot it tells me storage space is running out and opens up the storage manager, which shows 16.8 gigs available out of 24. Is this some idiotic partitioning thing android is still doing?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

mastershakeman posted:

Ha, this replacement droid turbo, less than 1 week old, had a hard lock and I couldn't get it to wake up. Upon reboot it tells me storage space is running out and opens up the storage manager, which shows 16.8 gigs available out of 24. Is this some idiotic partitioning thing android is still doing?

Try wiping the cache partition :shepface:

I think that's the only thing you can really try on a Droid Turbo before telling them that the replacement was busted on arrival.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My wife's Galaxy S6 is being an rear end. She went to put it on charge at about 6% last night but it looks like it's not taking any juice in (no light indicating). Since then I've had no luck getting it to reboot, I've had the Samsung graphics come up corrupted a few times, and holding every button has brought up the bootloader continue/cancel screen but that's about it.

Being a Sprint phone I can't even put the sim into another handset, so it looks like a trip to the store is in order today, but I'm not sure how technically abled the one here is and we need her line up and running as soon as possible. Anyone seen anything like this before with possible fixes? I've tried a second charger/cable in case that was the weak point but not seeing any difference.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

MMD3 posted:

getting ready to make the jump from iPhone (6) to Android and am looking for the best deals on an S7 or S7 Edge. What are the best sites to watch for active promotions? I'm not in any great hurry.

This is not an upgrade.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
3rd-generation Moto E is on the way

Moto E3 Spotted At The FCC, Could Launch Stateside In September

quote:

The phone will pack a 5-inch 720p HD display with a quad-core CPU powering the handset. It will also be accompanied by 1GB of RAM, come with an 8MP rear-facing camera, a 5MP front-facing camera, a 2,800mAh battery, and will also feature Android 6.0 Marshmallow. Its price in the UK was roughly $131 after conversion, but no word on whether we will be similar prices when it does arrive in the US.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

So how much of a pain in the dick is it going to be dealing with Lenovorola?

My Moto X Pure developed some random white lines the other night that scrambled my screen. A reboot fixed it, however it seems like other have posted similar issues and the consensus is to get it replaced under warranty.

Edit: I tried using their website, but it's giving me an error code requiring me to call in. Yay.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 21, 2016

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

32GB Nexus 5X for $240USD on Ebay today.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wow, I knew memory management on Android was bad but when your budget phone has 16GB of RAM...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

LastInLine posted:

Wow, I knew memory management on Android was bad but when your budget phone has 16GB of RAM...

Your own link says it has 1 GB of RAM. Did the article get corrected since you posted it?