Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Yeah, I don't usually get emotional at trailers, but geez.

There's no way this is going to end without my wife seeing me cry about star trek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Holy cow, that Spock cosplayer. I did a google search and apparently he's called Spock Vegas and he looks and sounds uncannily like Leonard Nimoy. Wow.

He's also a huge rear end in a top hat. If you're taking pictures at a con and he thinks he was in it at all, he'll demand that you either pay him or delete the pic. He also sells traced and stolen artwork that a conman friend of his grabs off the internet.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Big Mean Jerk posted:

He's also a huge rear end in a top hat. If you're taking pictures at a con and he thinks he was in it at all, he'll demand that you either pay him or delete the pic. He also sells traced and stolen artwork that a conman friend of his grabs off the internet.

Well, that sucks. :(

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

He's also a huge rear end in a top hat. If you're taking pictures at a con and he thinks he was in it at all, he'll demand that you either pay him or delete the pic.

I hope this becomes public knowledge so that people at cons are constantly taking pictures of him in defiance. Cause anyone who just refuses to pay or delete them, what's he gonna do?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

thexerox123 posted:

I hope this becomes public knowledge so that people at cons are constantly taking pictures of him in defiance. Cause anyone who just refuses to pay or delete them, what's he gonna do?

I think it is public knowledge, he was at WizardWorld Indy last year and people were defiantly taking pictures with him in the background.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
There was a group of teens walking around Space City Comic Con earlier this year, laughing and snapchatting everything, as teens are wont to do. They passed by his booth and started to walk on until he literally chased after them and demanded that they each pay him $10 for the supposed pictures. He must have stood there arguing with them for a good 20 minutes, because they were all still there after I'd made a complete circuit around the con.

Dude is an rear end in a top hat.

The traced art he was selling was super obvious poo poo too, like Jim Lee and Francis Manapul covers.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There was a group of teens walking around Space City Comic Con earlier this year, laughing and snapchatting everything, as teens are wont to do. They passed by his booth and started to walk on until he literally chased after them and demanded that they each pay him $10 for the supposed pictures. He must have stood there arguing with them for a good 20 minutes, because they were all still there after I'd made a complete circuit around the con.

The traced art he was selling was super obvious poo poo too, like Jim Lee and Francis Manapul covers.

You'd think that people would complain about him harassing them and he'd stop being welcome at cons?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Yeah, I don't usually get emotional at trailers, but geez.

There's no way this is going to end without my wife seeing me cry about star trek

I doubt Shatner will get one of these documentaries when he croaks.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mister Kingdom posted:

I doubt Shatner will get one of these documentaries when he croaks.

I know Shatner can be a jackass but this is pretty spiteful and jerkish to say man.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why does everyone seem to hate shatner?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Baronjutter posted:

Why does everyone seem to hate shatner?

Ask his co-stars.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

WickedHate posted:

I know Shatner can be a jackass but this is pretty spiteful and jerkish to say man.

Sounds like Shatner.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I mean, either tell Shatner stories or stop being abrasive. "Shatner is a prima donna" is common knowledge, but the set stories aren't.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I mean, either tell Shatner stories or stop being abrasive. "Shatner is a prima donna" is common knowledge, but the set stories aren't.

It was just an observation. No need to get your knickers in a twist.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hi co-stars sadly aren't posting in this thread, I was hoping for some good "shatner is an rear end in a top hat" anecdotes people know.
I'd also love some "crazy gene" stories if possible! I know he was quite the womanizer and horn dog but that' about it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Baronjutter posted:

Hi co-stars sadly aren't posting in this thread, I was hoping for some good "shatner is an rear end in a top hat" anecdotes people know.
I'd also love some "crazy gene" stories if possible! I know he was quite the womanizer and horn dog but that' about it.

Between Shatner and Gene that production set must have been a nightmare

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baronjutter posted:

Something that always springs to mind isn't the worst thing he's ever done, but a long time ago he rode the convention circuit pretty hard and showed tons of bloopers in an era where that absolutely wasn't common at all. It really embarrassed all the actors.

Also, for "crazy" and not necessarily "mean", he kept insisting, over and over, for every movie past the Motion Picture, that the plot be about the crew going back in time and Spock having to kill JFK.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bloopers are hilarious and normal so once again gene was just ahead of his time.

Also there's a Red Dwarf about them having to go back in time and kill JFK. Was this directly inspired by Genes idea?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So just kinda rewatching DS9 in the background while working, and I have to ask.. was the Bajorian Col. in "The Siege" originally supposed to be a surgically altered Obsidian Order agent?

That is literally the only way anything he does makes sense. Even a true believer wouldn't be that much of a poo poo to his boss (I never did figure out why the General didn't just tell the Colonel to shut the gently caress up and sit in a corner). It's like whoever wrote the episode mistook Col. as being higher than General.

Everything he does makes total sense (even his massive arrogant streak) if he was actually the Cardassian behind the whole thing in the first place, so if that was the plan they really should have found a way to jam it in there.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 21, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Possibly, but it's a pretty generic plot idea, and basically just The City on the Edge of Forever with an actual historical moment.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Blazing Ownager posted:

So just kinda rewatching DS9 in the background while working, and I have to ask.. was the Bajorian Col. in "The Siege" originally supposed to be a surgically altered Obsidian Order agent?

That is literally the only way anything he does makes sense. Even a true believer wouldn't be that much of a poo poo to his boss (I never did figure out why the General didn't just tell the Colonel to shut the gently caress up and sit in a corner). It's like whoever wrote the episode mistook Col. as being higher than General.

Everything he does makes total sense if he was actually the Cardassian behind the whole thing in the first place, so if that was the plan they really should have found a way to jam it in there.

I think that Bajoran faction was actually being funded or helped by the Cardies in some way. But never underestimate the idiocy of a fanatic, history is littered with people just like that dude.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

I think that Bajoran faction was actually being funded or helped by the Cardies in some way. But never underestimate the idiocy of a fanatic, history is littered with people just like that dude.

They were; why I was thinking the only way his behavior - staunchly refusing to even mention the Cardassians even after being directly told about them and stuff, trying to shoot the commander for ruining the plan, killing Bajor's iconic hero, all of it really only fits if he was the guy behind it in the first place.

The whole plot was basically that the Bajorians didn't know the Cardassians were the ones supplying them, and that guy seemed to be going so far out of his way to quell that idea that if the intention was to make him a simple zealot, they also made him a massive idiot zealot.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Was that the guy from "Wings"? I just remember that guy hamming it up so bad you could tell he just wanted a paycheck.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Blazing Ownager posted:

They were; why I was thinking the only way his behavior - staunchly refusing to even mention the Cardassians even after being directly told about them and stuff, trying to shoot the commander for ruining the plan, killing Bajor's iconic hero, all of it really only fits if he was the guy behind it in the first place.

The whole plot was basically that the Bajorians didn't know the Cardassians were the ones supplying them, and that guy seemed to be going so far out of his way to quell that idea that if the intention was to make him a simple zealot, they also made him a massive idiot zealot.

He knew if word got out who was supporting them they would be finished. He was trying to protect the movement he was loyal to. When you're some single-issue zealot you don't give a gently caress who you have to work with to reach your goals. Those bajorans reminded me a bit (and only a bit) of a lot of the "freedom fighters" in eastern europe that worked openly with the nazi's because they saw the soviets as the bigger threat to their culture. These bajorans some how rationalized getting support from the people who were just oppressing and killing them a few years ago was just the deal with the devil they had to make to fight off the federation and other aliens coming in and destroying their culture. Only a military dictatorship based on extreme racial/religious nationalism could save Bajor, anything else would lead to the death of their culture. So yeah, a guy who believes that is going to fight to the bitter end, work with any possible ally, and suppress any information that might damage the cause. He was fine getting supplies from the cardies but knew their little movement would be finished if it got out to the rest of the population (who are too stupid to understand their purity and way of life are at risk!)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Baronjutter posted:

On the set of the Original Series, Shatner was constantly trying to take dialogue away from his co-stars, saying stuff like, "Uhura doesn't need to say that, it's totally extraneous." Basically, he was extremely sensitive about losing the spotlight (which also led to a lot of tension between him and Nimoy, particularly when Nimoy's fan mail started outnumbering Shatner's by like 10:1). Doohan in particular infamously hated him and they never reconciled before his passing.

Shatner was also a pill to a lot of his directors.

Also, his books -- Star Trek Memories and Star Trek Movie Memories -- are basically full of poo poo outside of the direct interview quotations.

quote:

I've recommended it in this thread before, but Gene Roddenberry: The Myth and the Man Behind Star Trek by Joel Engel is pretty much essential reading. But a few choice anecdotes:

- He wrote meaningless lyrics to the Original Series theme to take royalties away from Sandy Courage

- He screwed David Gerrold out of credit for much of the creation of The Next Generation, even though Gerrold was responsible for almost all of the initial writers' bible

- Pissed off over being kicked upstairs and removed from all executive control over the movies, he leaked Spock's death, the destruction of the Enterprise, and the plan to move everyone over to the Excelsior to the fanzines

- After discovering LSD he became increasingly erratic and abusive to everyone around him (the cocaine and alcohol didn't help)

- He was notoriously cruel to his family

- He was a pathological liar who downplayed the contributions of basically everyone else who made Star Trek actually happen (Bob Justman, Wah Chang, Gene Coon, Matt Jeffries, etc.)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'm looking forward to Lance Parkin's forthcoming book about Roddenberry, 'The Impossible Has Happened'. Lance is a rather good writer, both fiction and non-, so hopefully it'll be an interesting new angle.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Timby posted:

On the set of the Original Series, Shatner was constantly trying to take dialogue away from his co-stars, saying stuff like, "Uhura doesn't need to say that, it's totally extraneous." Basically, he was extremely sensitive about losing the spotlight (which also led to a lot of tension between him and Nimoy, particularly when Nimoy's fan mail started outnumbering Shatner's by like 10:1). Doohan in particular infamously hated him and they never reconciled before his passing.

Shatner was also a pill to a lot of his directors.

Behind Star Trek[/url] by Joel Engel is pretty much essential reading.

Pretty much everyone hated Shatner, but especially James Doohan and George Takei. Bill didn't go to Takei's wedding or Nimoy's funeral, and said he wasn't really friends with any of them.

Timby posted:

I've recommended it in this thread before, but Gene Roddenberry: The Myth and the Man Behind Star Trek by Joel Engel is pretty much essential reading.

I've also heard rumors that Gene sexually assaulted Grace Lee Whitney (Yeoman Rand) and that led to her departure from the show but I don't have any evidence to back it up.

Gene Roddenberry was also friends with L. Ron Hubbard and wished he had thought of making a cult, too.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

- He screwed David Gerrold out of credit for much of the creation of The Next Generation, even though Gerrold was responsible for almost all of the initial writers' bible

For those who aren't aware, because of this Paramount wound up paying off Gerrold to not pursue a lawsuit that could have potentially awarded him a permanent co-creator credit for TNG.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gammatron 64 posted:

I've also heard rumors that Gene sexually assaulted Grace Lee Whitney (Yeoman Rand) and that led to her departure from the show but I don't have any evidence to back it up.

Whitney always said it was a Desilu executive who raped her.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I help put on our local con, also Memorial Day weekend, and we had a lot of things go wrong this year. A LOT. And it was our 50th. And the highest attendance since the 70s heyday because GRRM was our GOH. We were proud we were able to make the thing happen at all. There were complaints. There were people threatening to never come again. There were firings and walkouts. It was a physically and emotionally draining experience.

Then we heard about everything that happened at Space City, and suddenly... it wasn't so bad.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What went down with Doctor Crusher and some sexual harassment or something in early TNG? I heard something about her leaving the show because after accusing someone of sexual harassment they made her feel so uncomfortable she had to leave, or they forced her out or something, but then her harasser leaving the show so she came back?

After re-watching some classic trek and movies you really do notice how shater-focused everything is, well and Nimoy. TNG and DS9 had real ensemble casts and everyone got screen time and dialogue and it was good, but classic trek was the Kirk and Spock show with everyone else just sort of there in the background or there just to react to something sometimes. Even bones ends up feeling sidelined a lot of the time. It's pathetic his fragile ego wanted to take away even more lines from his cast members and spock being just as popular as him was seen as competition. Like drat, why can't the cast just be a big ol happy family like in TNG, or at least be professional co-workers (who sometimes gently caress) like in DS9.

How does the rest of the classic cast get along? Was everyone else more or less friends? Was the hate just focused on Shatner or did they all dislike each other?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Baronjutter posted:

What went down with Doctor Crusher and some sexual harassment or something in early TNG? I heard something about her leaving the show because after accusing someone of sexual harassment they made her feel so uncomfortable she had to leave, or they forced her out or something, but then her harasser leaving the show so she came back?

Writer / producer Maurice Hurley sexually harassed McFadden throughout the first season and made her life hell after she refused his advances. Hurley quit / was "let go" after the second season and Berman personally reached out to McFadden to invite her back.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Timby posted:

Not that I have reason to believe Gene did it, but this can't count for much. She couldn't very well say "it was that guy millions of men near literally worship". Cosby times a trillion.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know, I just watched Invasive Procedures again and I have to say the most hilariously amazing thing I had forgotten is Kira getting the absolute poo poo kicked out of her by a space hooker.

I mean she goes up against all manner of enemies over the series and even manages to hold her own against genetic super soldiers, but in a straight up, no outside interference fist fight with that woman, she drat near gets Tekken air juggled.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abderahman Mohammed Ahmed Mohammed Abdel Karim El Mahdi is pretty bad in the early seasons of DS9 and it's really dumb how they suddenly changed his character once the whole genetic engineering thing came out. I read some interview where he was basically doing passive resistance against them changing his character by just acting really really bad until they dropped the line.

Also my friend this summer decided to memorize his name as a project, so any time ds9 comes up he'll try to pull it out.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Pretty much everyone hated Shatner, but especially James Doohan and George Takei. Bill didn't go to Takei's wedding or Nimoy's funeral

I'm not going to fault him for this one, as he'd already been committed to a Red Cross charity event on the same day, and his daughters were present at the funeral to represent the Shatner family. I'd like to think Nimoy would have insisted that Shatner attend the charity event.

After The War posted:

I help put on our local con, also Memorial Day weekend, and we had a lot of things go wrong this year. A LOT. And it was our 50th. And the highest attendance since the 70s heyday because GRRM was our GOH. We were proud we were able to make the thing happen at all. There were complaints. There were people threatening to never come again. There were firings and walkouts. It was a physically and emotionally draining experience.

Then we heard about everything that happened at Space City, and suddenly... it wasn't so bad.

Oh god yeah. Except for Shatner, I paid cash for all my autographs and I'm glad I did. Dorn, Spiner, and Auberjonois (among others) all got shafted on pre-sale vouchers and didn't see a dime. Plus, half the convention hall was completely empty and they managed to gently caress up guest tickets on the first two days. My first and last time ever going to that poo poo-hole con.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's with nerd cons and massive disasters like that? I think there was a thread years ago by someone who worked the "con scene" and it was amazing how many were straight up frauds/scams or just insanely mismanaged or destroyed by ridiculous internal drama.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Timby posted:

Ah, I just assumed it was Gene. Because you know... knowing Roddenberry and his history.... I wouldn't exactly put it past him....

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baronjutter posted:

What's with nerd cons and massive disasters like that? I think there was a thread years ago by someone who worked the "con scene" and it was amazing how many were straight up frauds/scams or just insanely mismanaged or destroyed by ridiculous internal drama.

I think it's a normal success/failure ratio for any kind of huge event. Woodstock '99 was some poo poo. Pop culture conventions have just gotten a lot more popular in the past decade or so, so there's more attempts, and thus, more failures. Dashcon was the nadir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Nerdcons have shot up in attendance and visibility since 2000. What used to be 2-3 rooms at the Marriott Marina and some actors past their prime/writers no one knows about/guy who tangentally worked on semi-popular series
with 80 people attending now has to be 3 hotel grand ballrooms plus a few screening rooms plus actual working actors with actual good series'.

And generally, the folks running these things are fans and friends of fans. The amount of Volunteer support that makes these things run is staggering. They're not the kind that work out logistics and payment and are rigorously worried that everything will run on time. And that's before you get to the guys that actually want to swindle everyone.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 21, 2016