Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Erg posted:

all atelier soundtracks are good, i'm pretty sure this is a universal truth

Gust have a really good sound team, it's true.

Verranicus posted:

Suggest me some import RPGs and SRPGs for PS1, PS2, PSP, DS or 3DS that aren't already on this list. No nepnep.

http://www.backloggery.com/verranicus

Secret of the Stars, it's the RPG you deserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I love how Secret of the Stars has a two team system that it barely uses until one of the last dungeons because it hates you. Then you gotta spend hours grinding a lovely team that you'll never use again.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Mokinokaro posted:

Could be some weird licensing thing with Tri-Ace who helped on it. It's definitely a shame.

I'd also love a Skies of Arcadia PC port since the game is a bitch to emulate right.

it is? i thought legends emulated pretty well in dolphin

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Mill Village posted:

I love how Secret of the Stars has a two team system that it barely uses until one of the last dungeons because it hates you. Then you gotta spend hours grinding a lovely team that you'll never use again.

Yeah I quit at that point. Rude game.

It was charming to play that game as a kid. "Oh that's the company that made tecmo super stars!!"

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I see a lot of RPG Maker games for sale on Steam where they use default assets and poo poo from the program, is it even legal for them to sell that?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Verranicus posted:

I see a lot of RPG Maker games for sale on Steam where they use default assets and poo poo from the program, is it even legal for them to sell that?

As long as they paid for the program, yes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Verranicus posted:

yeah. when you buy the game you also buy a license for the default assets. they also sell asset packs that also give you free reign to use those assets in games you make.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm on Chapter 2 of Baldur's Gate I EE and I think dying to a wolf a dozen times is already more fun than I ever had with Planescape.

I like being able to actually make my own character, though. That is a big thing for me. I spent most of my day doing that before I played the game for an hour and had to stop.

Music is really good, too.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm still early on in Setsuna and totally digging it. The presentation alone is just absolutely gorgeous. Everything has this sort of animated, painted look to it and the piano soundtrack is really moody. The momentum variation on CT's ATB battles adds some depth, but not a ton. It amounts to "attack when you're ready or wait longer to attack for better effects". Even though I still enjoy playing Chrono Trigger, battles in Setsuna definitely feel like the weakest part of the game. That's not really a criticism but rather more of a relative thing. Game feels super polished.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Can you guys rec an RPG to me? I got a PS4, PS3, and a PC. I like FF6, 12, Phantasy Star Online, Demons Souls, Persona 4, Earthbound, SaGa Frontier, and uh Links Awakening.

Edit: aye sorry for the wide range. I'd be most excited with good, tight action and diverse gameplay options. And something that reminds me of 6 or EB. Also I have a weird affinity to SaGa Frontier and when I saw it wasn't on PSN I was shocked and saddened and started looking for help...

anothergod fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 21, 2016

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

anothergod posted:

Can you guys rec an RPG to me? I got a PS4, PS3, and a PC. I like FF6, 12, Phantasy Star Online, Demons Souls, Persona 4, Earthbound, SaGa Frontier, and uh Links Awakening.

Saga Frontier 2

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
PC version of Last Remnant.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
:darksouls:?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
That's a pretty wide range so I'll arbitrarily say Suikoden I or II in the PSN store.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

anothergod posted:

Edit: aye sorry for the wide range. I'd be most excited with good, tight action and diverse gameplay options. And something that reminds me of 6 or EB. Also I have a weird affinity to SaGa Frontier and when I saw it wasn't on PSN I was shocked and saddened and started looking for help...

Undertale? It's on Steam for :10bux:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FFX and FFX-2 were just remastered and rereleased on Steam/PS4 and they probably have the best combat systems of any games in the series.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

anothergod posted:

NIER.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Saga Frontier 2, duh

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Levantine posted:

I'm still early on in Setsuna and totally digging it. The presentation alone is just absolutely gorgeous. Everything has this sort of animated, painted look to it and the piano soundtrack is really moody. The momentum variation on CT's ATB battles adds some depth, but not a ton. It amounts to "attack when you're ready or wait longer to attack for better effects". Even though I still enjoy playing Chrono Trigger, battles in Setsuna definitely feel like the weakest part of the game. That's not really a criticism but rather more of a relative thing. Game feels super polished.

I Am Setsuna is a nice, heaping helping of video game comfort food and I'm perfectly fine with that. I think I can understand why some people don't like it or think it isn't worth the $40 price tag but I'm really enjoying it. It might've come at a good time for me, though, because I'm on a big "classic JRPG" kick right now and I Am Setsuna does a pretty good job of feeling like the games I'm itching to play while also being something I haven't actually played yet.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

anothergod posted:

PC version of Last Remnant, since it has a lot of gameplay elements in common with SaGa games.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Harrow posted:

I Am Setsuna is a nice, heaping helping of video game comfort food and I'm perfectly fine with that. I think I can understand why some people don't like it or think it isn't worth the $40 price tag but I'm really enjoying it. It might've come at a good time for me, though, because I'm on a big "classic JRPG" kick right now and I Am Setsuna does a pretty good job of feeling like the games I'm itching to play while also being something I haven't actually played yet.

Personally it's working really well to me as a follow up to playing Adventures of Mana.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Just bought Hyper Light Drifter for later. Is the difficulty "Good-Hard" or "Bullshit-Hard"? Can I just play it like do every game and do all the side-content first and then steamroll the bosses? I heard the game has a 30FPS cap which is a bummer for an ARPG.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Just bought Hyper Light Drifter for later. Is the difficulty "Good-Hard" or "Bullshit-Hard"? Can I just play it like do every game and do all the side-content first and then steamroll the bosses? I heard the game has a 30FPS cap which is a bummer for an ARPG.

I'd say it starts out feeling Bullshit Hard but gets closer to Good Hard once you start getting more abilities and get used to the dodge. Though, I've heard a recent patch added invincibility frames to the dodge (which weren't there when I played) so that might help alleviate some of the early "what the gently caress that's bullshit" deaths.

It's not that much of an RPG, really, so don't expect your power to actually increase as you get upgrades. You just get more options. Your maximum health will never increase (unless you get a really hard-to-find costume, which gives you 1 more health square). Go into it thinking of it more as a twitchy action game with purchasable upgrades than an RPG.

When you reach the town, you can go north, west, or east first, and it's tough to know which to recommend. Know that if you go north, the actual levels will be easier but the boss will be a nightmare. If you go east, it's the opposite--the levels are crazy hard, but the boss isn't too tough, and the gun you get for beating the boss makes the north boss much more manageable. Don't do west first.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Harrow posted:

Don't do west first.

Hah, poo poo, guess which way I finished first. Is West significantly harder than the others or something? I managed to stay alive until the boss killed me a few times.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I find it's 'Good-hard' - think of it like a Dark Souls game: don't get greedy with your attacks, watch for the enemies' tells before they attack, and use all the tools at your disposal. Don't worry about using medpacks, and use your gun for one or two shots before closing in on enemies for the kill.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Hyper Light Drifter was very pretty but also very obtuse and I enjoyed it for a while but trying to figure out what to do got frustrating.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Harrow posted:

I'd say it starts out feeling Bullshit Hard but gets closer to Good Hard once you start getting more abilities and get used to the dodge. Though, I've heard a recent patch added invincibility frames to the dodge (which weren't there when I played) so that might help alleviate some of the early "what the gently caress that's bullshit" deaths.
A recent patch added invincibility frames to the dodge and healthpack regen on teleport, but people screamed and whined about casuals so it was reverted.

quote:

When you reach the town, you can go north, west, or east first, and it's tough to know which to recommend. Know that if you go north, the actual levels will be easier but the boss will be a nightmare. If you go east, it's the opposite--the levels are crazy hard, but the boss isn't too tough, and the gun you get for beating the boss makes the north boss much more manageable. Don't do west first.
I did north first, and I didn't find the boss that terrible at all? :confused: Like, I'm not really any good at these games, but I beat him on my second try once I knew his patterns. I had a much easier time with him than with the enemy rooms leading up to him (fuckin mages...)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Hah, poo poo, guess which way I finished first. Is West significantly harder than the others or something? I managed to stay alive until the boss killed me a few times.

I found the West boss to be the hardest one in the game, myself, but that could just be me.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I did north first, and I didn't find the boss that terrible at all? :confused: Like, I'm not really any good at these games, but I beat him on my second try once I knew his patterns. I had a much easier time with him than with the enemy rooms leading up to him (fuckin mages...)

I'm mostly going by how many people I've seen complaining about the North boss, then finding it a lot easier once you have the shotgun.

Very little in the game is harder than the rear end in a top hat ninja frogs in the east though.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I did East first and hated myself.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
The rear end in a top hat ninja frogs in the east, strangely enough, are much easier when you can oneshot them from across the screen with the gun from the north :v:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Verranicus posted:

Suggest me some import RPGs and SRPGs for PS1, PS2, PSP, DS or 3DS that aren't already on this list. No nepnep.

Threads of Fate (PS1)
Grandia (PS1)
Lunar 1 and Lunar 2 (PS1)

and if you're a masochist, the saga frontier games

e: import nvm

dewprism :v:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

The White Dragon posted:

Threads of Fate (PS1)
Grandia (PS1)
Lunar 1 and Lunar 2 (PS1)

and if you're a masochist, the saga frontier games

e: import nvm

dewprism :v:

I don't mind suggestions for English games as well I just probably already know about them and plan to hit them eventually. More looking to discover games/series' I never would have otherwise.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Verranicus posted:

what, no front mission 5?

shadow tower abyss also owns

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Seconding Shadow Tower Abyss. I'd love a third Shadow Tower game or fifth King's Field game now that FromSoft have the experience of the Souls series under their belts.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Seconding Shadow Tower Abyss. I'd love a third Shadow Tower game or fifth King's Field game now that FromSoft have the experience of the Souls series under their belts.

There was an LP of Shadow Tower Abyss going in the subforum that I lost track of. It did finished or dropped?

Game is cool but hella slow--when watching it, it was much more interesting to set the video speed to 1.5 or higher.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Verranicus posted:

Shadow Hearts II: Director's Cut

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Verranicus posted:

Wiler is definitely Wenli, yes.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm having another try at XCX and good loving god I wish it was a little kinder in its autoattack ranges so that I don't get dumpstered immediately whenever I want to try to poke around some of the weirder places, as a level 60 legend thing decides to kick my rear end after dropping from the ceiling or whatever

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

As far as the rest of the game goes I knew what to expect coming in so the boneheaded plot doesn't worry me as much, I'm just looking for something to tide me over until I break down and get #FE or Fairy Fencer's remake

e: at the very least it goes all in with the scope and look of the game, I've never had my heart lurch so hard from leaping off a huge-rear end cliff in a game

Stelas fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 22, 2016

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

While I'm at it 7th Dragon VFD is a cool Etrian clone with some actual plot in there. It's way too easy - the game tries to ensure that both you and the dragons do high damage, but it's too easy to start winning the race and stay there - and I was almost getting bored of it before I realized you're supposed to try to chain dragons together into the same fight, keeping your buffs going as you take down several in a go. Then it felt cool again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Stelas posted:

While I'm at it 7th Dragon VFD is a cool Etrian clone with some actual plot in there. It's way too easy - the game tries to ensure that both you and the dragons do high damage, but it's too easy to start winning the race and stay there - and I was almost getting bored of it before I realized you're supposed to try to chain dragons together into the same fight, keeping your buffs going as you take down several in a go. Then it felt cool again.

Mind offering more thoughts on this game? Looks interesting and I'd like to hear more about it from a fan of Etrian Odyssey.