Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

HEY GAL posted:

there's a sweet spot somewhere between Tilly and this dude:

that's Jacob Duwall, whose last name is the result of a German failure to spell/pronounce "MacDougall." I found an Obrist Lieutenant named Jobst MackenSehe in a Saxon roll once--prob Mackenzie.

Is the average re-enactor more or less drunk than their historical counterpart? I am assuming Germans less so than history while Czech's get much more lit than ye olden times?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well I've finally caught up with the thread (and WWI day-by-day)!

I'm a big fan that you're shining a light on obscure bits of a conflict that most people assume was just the Western Front (and maybe the Russian Revolution), Trin Tragula.

Can anyone recommend some good books on Canadian forces in WWII? No particular reason, I'm just curious about lesser-known WWII stuff (for reference, I once bought a book on Australian Tank Development, so I'm up for other similarly obscure bits and pieces.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

chitoryu12 posted:

Did they have any kind of water purification outside of turning the water into alcohol?

What, you mean like a priest?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

chitoryu12 posted:

Did they have any kind of water purification outside of turning the water into alcohol?

Just the old fashioned art of boiling the water.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

golden bubble posted:

Just the old fashioned art of boiling the water.

Was that widely understood? Given it wouldnt really become clear why it worked on a scientific level for quite a while.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

chitoryu12 posted:

Boiling works. Otherwise they just avoided water that tasted or looked odd, and if there were nasty stuff in it, they just got sick. I mean what sort of water purification do animals use?

This was long before the germ theory of disease also.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Polyakov posted:

Was that widely understood? Given it wouldnt really become clear why it worked on a scientific level for quite a while.

It was understood to be a prerequisite for brewing beer and beer stayed good for a long time unlike unboiled water stored in oak barrels, so people must have figured it out I think.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

FAUXTON posted:

They probably drank what we would consider unsafe amounts of "beer." This however was frequently closer to O'Doul's or Buckler than Guinness, and was generally seen as a good way to consume calories without having a full-on meal. At most it imparted a mild buzz after concerted drinking efforts. However, water was almost certainly the primary source of hydration for the average soldier.

I can't remember the exact details off the top of my head but when Henry, son of William the Conqueror, was being besieged by his brothers he was sent barrels of water as relief.... by Robert Curthose, one of his brothers. William, the other brother, was predictably incensed. In any case they clearly had barrels of water lying around in enough quantity to spare for the defenders.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Polyakov posted:

It was....sort of understood. They weren't idiots...they recognized that meat or water or whatever that smelled bad or looked gross could make you sick, but they of course didn't understand the root cause. They thought it was something in the air that spoiled things and made you sick and thus if something smelled bad you should stay away, which isn't a terrible theory if you consider the evidence available to them. It wouldn't have been terribly obvious that boiling smelly gross water could make it safe (and who wanted to test this theory?). Instead they'd seek out fresh water sources like springs or clear streams or wells that they knew would be safe.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

MikeCrotch posted:

Is the average re-enactor more or less drunk than their historical counterpart? I am assuming Germans less so than history while Czech's get much more lit than ye olden times?
both czechs and germans are less drunk than the dudes really were, probably because you gotta work up to that level of drunk over a lifetime

the Central European Beer Vortex has actually gotten less strong over the years, everyone drinks less in the 21st century than we used to

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 21, 2016

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

HEY GAL posted:

both czechs and germans are less drunk than the dudes really were, probably because you gotta work up to that level of drunk over a lifetime

the Central European Beer Vortex has actually gotten less strong over the years, everyone drinks less in the 21st century than we used to

I, personally, have created a Northern European Nihilism Vortex to increase my personal alcohol consumption.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Life expectancy is up, but can you call it living?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I thought they counterbalanced all the drinking by also making a lot of weak booze.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SlothfulCobra posted:

I thought they counterbalanced all the drinking by also making a lot of weak booze.
what about the things i talk about says "sober" to you

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

SlothfulCobra posted:

Beer tended to be somewhat weaker but wine was still wine, and distilled spirits were about ~35% ABV on up.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SlothfulCobra posted:

They made the weak booze by running a second batch off the same wort(?) used for regular-strength beer. This was common practice for a very long time because it was a way to make drinkable calories without the alcohol content. poo poo they even fed it to their kids because it was usually like sub-3% strength by a fair margin. It wasn't so much the boiling that made people regularly consume it (germ theory wasn't a thing yet) but certainly boiling water you yanked out of a cholera-ridden spout/river meant the beer you ended up with wasn't giving anyone the galloping shits. They simply saw a way to get more bang for their buck/bushel.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Hey, I'm gearing up to photograph my grandpa's submarine photo scrapbook that documents his time on the SS-347 USS Cubera that cover the boat's adventures in Puerto Rico shortly before Guppy modernization. Should I share those pics in this thread, or the cold war one? (Cold war thread is mostly airpower)

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Beer tended to be somewhat weaker but wine was still wine, and distilled spirits were about ~35% ABV on up.

In the Middle Ages wine was almost always drunk mixed with water.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Suspect Bucket posted:

Hey, I'm gearing up to photograph my grandpa's submarine photo scrapbook that documents his time on the SS-347 USS Cubera that cover the boat's adventures in Puerto Rico shortly before Guppy modernization. Should I share those pics in this thread, or the cold war one? (Cold war thread is mostly airpower)
Yes.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Suspect Bucket posted:

Here please.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

In the Middle Ages wine was almost always drunk mixed with water.

Oh, interesting. How late did that persist? I knew that spirits tended to be mixed with water as distillation was originally seen as a process to make wine more portable.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

People still mix their wine with all sorts of stuff when they want to quench thirst while also getting buzzed. Sodas and juices are popular.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Siivola posted:

People still mix their wine with all sorts of stuff when they want to quench thirst while also getting buzzed. Sodas and juices are popular.

Sure, but in the 21st century the vast majority of wine is consumed undiluted.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Oh, interesting. How late did that persist? I knew that spirits tended to be mixed with water as distillation was originally seen as a process to make wine more portable.

Off the top of my head I know it was still going on in the mid 15th c. After that I'd have to check my sources.

Edit: but these only go til the late 15th

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

HEY GAL posted:

there's a sweet spot somewhere between Tilly and this dude:

that's Jacob Duwall, whose last name is the result of a German failure to spell/pronounce "MacDougall." I found an Obrist Lieutenant named Jobst MackenSehe in a Saxon roll once--prob Mackenzie.

edit: Actually it's a Swedish failure to pronounce MacDougall, the guy's father was an immigrant. https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Duwall

"Certainly, both colonels subsequently entered imperial service."

Why would you hire the drunk dude? "Eh, he's approximately as drunk on the average day as a third of our officer corps, may as well keep him around as a spare in case he has a good day when Bjorn Bjornson is insensate in the gutter"?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
bjorn bjornson? we are proud imperialists, surely you mean jindrich z rozmberk

edit: while looking for an appropriate italian fake general name i found these names
http://www.beginningwithi.com/2006/03/14/italian-surnames-the-funny-surprising-and-just-plain-weird/

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 22, 2016

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

HEY GAL posted:

bjorn bjornson? we are proud imperialists, surely you mean jindrich z rozmberk

edit: while looking for an appropriate italian fake general name i found these names
http://www.beginningwithi.com/2006/03/14/italian-surnames-the-funny-surprising-and-just-plain-weird/

If Falaguerra and Acquistapace aren't the decedents of your guys I don't even know what the gently caress.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i like the attempts at spelling english/scottish/irish names i come across every now and then, like i just know vratislav eusebius von pernstein is looking around at his friends muttering "the gently caress is this george smith bullshit? let's just call him jiri and get on with the day"

edit: saxon oberst Burgan Yssavolitzky is not the weird one here

edit 2:actually i have a real life example of this. there's a guy who gives his place of origin as Salop--turns out that's an old alternative name for Shropshire, in England, it's just the musterschreiber didn't know enough to write down Shropshire and just wrote down what he heard.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 22, 2016

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Einwohnermeldeamt has come a long way since then but Finanzamt still operates on this principle. Those total fuckers.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

edit 2:actually i have a real life example of this. there's a guy who gives his place of origin as Salop--turns out that's an old alternative name for Shropshire, in England, it's just the musterschreiber didn't know enough to write down Shropshire and just wrote down what he heard.
Full disclosure, if I heard a brit say they're from anywhere ending in -shire, I would not understand them either. The person who named a sauce after Worcestershire was a complete pillock.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 22, 2016

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Siivola posted:

Full disclosure, if I heard a brit say they're from anywhere ending in -shire, I would not understand them either. The person who named a sauce after Worcestershire was a conplete pillock.

Agreed, the pronunciation of -shire places is another thing that makes more sense when absolutely everybody involved is drunk 100% of the time.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I still don't completely get it. In german, do you pronounce it "Schier" or "Scheier"?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JaucheCharly posted:

I still don't completely get it. In german, do you pronounce it "Schier" or "Scheier"?
Shur but less rounded/open on the U. The vowel, like lots of our vowels on unstressed syllables, is a schwa. Shrr.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwa

Edit: You've heard me speak in English, you know how I default to a flat, choppy, ugly, "neutral" vowel a lot of the time? We do that a lot. Especially in my regional accent, though, which is not English-English.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jul 22, 2016

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GAL posted:

Not really 'old' per se, people from Shropshire are Salopians (and Old Salopians are specifically people who went to Shrewsbury School in Shropshire), much as people from Manchester are Mancunians or you can still abbreviate Oxford as Oxon(ia). and Cambridge as Cantab(rigia). Stuff like that tends to stick around over here.

Also hopefully I'm not being too obvious here, but shire as a word on its own tends to be pronounced differently (Scheier) to <x>shire (Schier). It's just how pronunciation tends to shift over the centuries when you say the same word a lot.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jul 22, 2016

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Re: namechat, in my grandma's village there used to live a man with the wonderful name of Franz Differenzi. He was a refugee from Bohemia, naturally :allears:

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

feedmegin posted:

Not really 'old' per se, people from Shropshire are Salopians (and Old Salopians are specifically people who went to Shrewsbury School in Shropshire), much as people from Manchester are Mancunians or you can still abbreviate Oxford as Oxon(ia). and Cambridge as Cantab(rigia). Stuff like that tends to stick around over here.

And the name Isis is preserved as well for the part of the Thames running through Oxford et al. as part of the Roman name Tamesis for the river in full. The distinction between a man of Kent and a Kentish man comes to mind as well, depending on your side of the Medway.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

HEY GAL posted:

Edit: You've heard me speak in English, you know how I default to a flat, choppy, ugly, "neutral" vowel a lot of the time? We do that a lot. Especially in my regional accent, though, which is not English-English.

Ummm you speak American???

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
Say, Disinterested, are you still taking questions re: Fascism? 'Cause I have one, though it is a little vague. Much discussion has been made over the fascist movements in Germany and Italy, for obvious reasons, but I don't much hear discussed fascism in countries where it didn't succeed. Were there such movements in, say, Britain and America, and if so, why did they fail? At least according to the Marxist theory, fascism should arise eventually in any capitalist nation, but there's this irritating undertone in pop culture and laypeople's discussions that fascism is something uniquely German and the only vision of a fascist America there can be is one where it was militarily defeated in some idiotic WWII alt history scenario.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Siivola posted:

Full disclosure, if I heard a brit say they're from anywhere ending in -shire, I would not understand them either. The person who named a sauce after Worcestershire was a complete pillock.

Wait, does Shropshire have some kind of weird pronunciation? Native English speaker from LA here, but looking at it my mind just sees "sh-rop-shire" as in the "sh" sound from "poo poo" or "shinola", the "ro" sound from "rod" but with a P at the end, and shire, like where Baggins comes from. Does it have some weird non-phonetic pronunciation in English english?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Terry van Feleday posted:

Say, Disinterested, are you still taking questions re: Fascism? 'Cause I have one, though it is a little vague. Much discussion has been made over the fascist movements in Germany and Italy, for obvious reasons, but I don't much hear discussed fascism in countries where it didn't succeed. Were there such movements in, say, Britain and America, and if so, why did they fail?

Disinterested can definitely answer this question better then I can but absolutely, see Mosley and his Blackshirts in the UK and arguably even Ford in the US: there were plenty of pro-Fascist elements and parties. My impression was they hitched their wagon to movements that their governments wound up at war with and became marginalised to various degrees because of it.

• Locked thread