Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Fat Shat Sings posted:

also dead bodies. They never have space funerals like when they shot Spock into space and people die all the time.

Like, they never show a morgue.

So people are just eating all the dead redshirts all the time.

Redshirt= Red Meat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Did any Trek but Voyager do a "the main deflector is offline but we still need to get out of here so micrometeorites are gonna start punching giant loving holes in the ship because Issac Newton" scene?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Volcott posted:

Did any Trek but Voyager do a "the main deflector is offline but we still need to get out of here so micrometeorites are gonna start punching giant loving holes in the ship because Issac Newton" scene?

In the Best of Both Worlds they burned out the main deflector and couldn't go anywhere. It wasn't stated outright but that's pretty much what would happen if they did.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Today on Voyager, the Startrek Voyager is crossing a 2 year long expanse of blackspace. Everyone gets upset they're not fighting coffee nebulas or almost dying, Neelix hyperventilates and Janeway suddenly has sadfeel about stranding 200 people 75 years away from home.

In a clear violation of the prime directive, Janeway and B'elanna decide to give a space polluter warp core schematics. Then they outright murder the guy by tossing proton torpedoes at his toxic waste.

NEXT WEEK: A transporter accident causes Seven and the Doctor to make a borgby...bayborg... unholy accident of nature in a clumsy abortion analogy.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 21, 2016

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
it was funny how the size of battles escalated during DS9. There is the episode in season three where twenty of the Obsidian Order/ Tal Shiar make up a big fleet. And then a couple seasons later mega fleets with over one thousand ships are trading punches. I know part of that is the switch from models to early CGI but it still stuck out to me.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I had no trouble with the idea that war between interstellar empires will escalate exponentially. Replicator technology and clone troops/red shirts pretty much assures it.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
It makes a lot more sense than the flagship of Starfleet, NCC-1701-A/B/C/D/E, warping around the galaxy to solve every single problem of the federation.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The cardassian/romulan fleet was supposed to be a small secret elite fleet sent on a surgical strike to wipe out the founders. As the war went on and became more intense, you of course ended up seeing both sides commit more and more ships to counter the other side's huge fleets. This happens in just about every space strategy game. The moment you see where the enemy is assembling a 'death ball' of ships you have to make your own counter death ball. Both sides had massive fronts they had to protect, but also had to counter where the enemy was amassing fleets.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
It's videogames, but Mass Effect 3 has a cool "SEND IN EVERYTHING" moment where you throw what's left of the fleets of a half dozen galactic powers at the giant cuttlefish occupying Earth.

https://youtu.be/tLlAObjR-gs?t=118

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

Are we at the part of the thread where we discuss the Culture series AI battles that are over in a fraction of a second because slaving the ship to verbal command and manual input is loving laughable at the Federations level of technology?

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
No we are not

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

No, please don't ruin a good thread with Culture wank.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

shadow puppet of a posted:

No, please don't ruin a good thread with Culture wank.

What about a The Forever War wank?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

A forever wank would hurt a lot, of it were even practical.

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

So I'm supposed to believe the doctor broke down when he had to choose between Harry and some other patient but "helping" Seven recall her rape through hypnosis and then finding out it didn't happen and the guy he helped accuse was dead because of it didn't give him pause?

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
forever war was good but the author seemed real worried about homosex

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Shaquin posted:

forever war was good but the author seemed real worried about homosex

Homosex clone armies.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Tectonis posted:

So I'm supposed to believe the doctor broke down when he had to choose between Harry and some other patient but "helping" Seven recall her rape through hypnosis and then finding out it didn't happen and the guy he helped accuse was dead because of it didn't give him pause?

Yes you are because in the following week it will be forgotten like it never happened because it's Voyager.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It leads to one of the best closing moments in all of Voyager though.

But yeah his ethical subroutine personality matrix reintegration whatever doesn't become a plot point at all.

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

It seemed to me like Picardo did change the way he spoke after they did the EMH and EMH Repair Hologram merge in like Season 3. He sounds more natural in the episodes after that but that couldn't possibly be something done purposefully because Voyager.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Tectonis posted:

It seemed to me like Picardo did change the way he spoke after they did the EMH and EMH Repair Hologram merge in like Season 3. He sounds more natural in the episodes after that but that couldn't possibly be something done purposefully because Voyager.

Nah, that just means it came from Picardo and not the producers, and if the producers had noticed he'd probably have been written off the show.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Tectonis posted:

I just watched this one.

The mobile emitter comes only 2 episodes later. That might have something to do with it.

naem
May 29, 2011

Fat Shat Sings posted:

also dead bodies. They never have space funerals like when they shot Spock into space and people die all the time.

Like, they never show a morgue.

So people are just eating all the dead redshirts all the time.

I wonder what color shirt they give to the ensign with the wheelbarrow of dead redshirts who fills the repli-hopper

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

naem posted:

I wonder what color shirt they give to the ensign with the wheelbarrow of dead redshirts who fills the repli-hopper

Blue.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Yeah that's clearly a science. C'mon naem, you're smarter than this.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I mean, I don't know you. But you put words together real good.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
And honestly every time I see you I imagine you looking like a chipmunk and they're not exactly research librarians. At least not in this country.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

naem posted:

o'brien always wore yellow

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I'd argue its a basic maintenance system. So, gold. You are dealing with a routine chore. Like a slaughter house really. Once you design the first carcass-handling equipment, the operation of the plant isn't a scientific endeavor.

naem
May 29, 2011

I wonder how bad you have to do at star fleet to shovel corpses down the poop chute

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Yeah but you have to know which chute to send them down. Grass fed beef tastes different than corn fed beef, so I'd think blood tests would be in order.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It's almost a medical waste type thing, so yeah, blue.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
I really don't think they were shoveling the corpses around, I think that's what O'Brien did the other 99.9% of his time, just beam the bodies into the reclamators and stare at the transporter pad fantasizing about how easy it would be to send himself

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's almost a medical waste type thing, so yeah, blue.

But replicators are a yellow-shirt detail, so one would think that would apply to the whole infrastructure.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

loving Fedditors slut-shaming Betaz again. I can't stand that 22nd century regressive bullshit.

Well yeah she probably said "pot roast, hot" and when the computer was like "BLEEP PLS SPCFY TMPRTUR" Janeway was all "I don't care. HOT!" So then the compie was "gently caress you bitch is this hot enough :toast:"

But if the replicator can't replicate a delicious sear, or burnt, then that explains how Poppa Sisko's Down Home Gumbo Shoppe and New Orleans Slop Shack is such a delicacy.

I just watched a TNG episode that started with Troi asking the computer to replicate a "real" chocolate sundae, and when the computer asked her to specify she just kept going on about "real" chocolate and "real" ice cream and how the replicator makes it too "perfect" or what the gently caress ever, instead of just going to Ten Forward where Guinan presumably makes "real" poo poo all the time.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I vaguely recall an episode about Troi bitching to the computer about it always giving "perfect" chocolate sundaes or whatever.

Yeah that one!

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

I just watched a TNG episode that started with Troi asking the computer to replicate a "real" chocolate sundae, and when the computer asked her to specify she just kept going on about "real" chocolate and "real" ice cream and how the replicator makes it too "perfect" or what the gently caress ever, instead of just going to Ten Forward where Guinan presumably makes "real" poo poo all the time.

yeah but then she would have had to watch geordi fail to pick up the new female ensign on corpse-chute duty

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

naem posted:

shovel corpses down the poop chute

Ahhh, Rikers favorite sex position.

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Ahhh, Rikers favorite sex position.

It's actually the Rusty Trombone :rimshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

There's no wheelbarrows. There's no manual labor. They just beam up the body parts and rematerialize it in where ever the collection of undifferentiated organic matter is stored. Out of sight, out of mind. The only thing that takes any effort is Picard trying to think of something original and not try to telephone it when he sends the condolence letter.