Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

namaste faggots posted:

look you stupid loving innumerate gender studies majors, trump has no loving chance so shut uppppp

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/

i went through this for a whole loving year leading up to 2012 telling people romney had no loving chance thanks to 538. stop giving political pundits and 'journalists' goddamn time of day

538 had it at 80/20 chance of Clinton victory a month ago vs. 60/40 today. What are they going to have it at next month, or on Nov. 7? It's pretty drat close to meaningless at this point. Especially if some poo poo happens (like Clinton gets indicted).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Clinton's not getting indicted.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Trapick posted:

Especially if some poo poo happens (like Clinton gets indicted).

Do people actually think this still has a chance of happening lmao

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
i'm not saying silver is infallible. he's a pretty poo poo journalist and his blog is dumb as hell.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Trapick posted:

538 had it at 80/20 chance of Clinton victory a month ago vs. 60/40 today. What are they going to have it at next month, or on Nov. 7? It's pretty drat close to meaningless at this point. Especially if some poo poo happens (like Clinton gets indicted).

this is what happens when you raise a generation of kids on promoting their self esteem instead of making them fail at hard subjects like math everyone

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Trapick posted:

Clinton is officially not getting indicted.

Brexit comparisons are meaningless because Brexit didn't have an electoral college.

Democrats currently have a built in advantage in electoral college votes and can lose a number of swing states while still winning the election with safe blue states.

Four years ago Obama proved that you can lose white male voters by a significant margin and still win the election, and lmao if you think Trump is improving on Romney's numbers with minorities or women.

Trump is fighting a poorly organized uphill battle against a very well-oiled political machine that will feature Clinton's chief rival for the nomination and a popular incumbent president both campaigning hard for her.

We shouldn't start panicking that Trump is going to win the election, repeal NAFTA, annex Canada, and then not defend the arctic just yet.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

The Butcher posted:

I warned both you guys and the Americans months ago :colbert:

I've got a decent rationale that I don't have the time or fucks to type now, but I can sum it up with "the yanks have lost their loving minds".

So where can I get in on that action?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

John Chang, one of British Columbia’s immigrant success stories thanks to his Lulu Island Winery in Richmond, is believed to have been arrested in China on suspicion of smuggling tens of millions of dollars’ worth of ice wine, state media reports suggest

http://m.scmp.com/news/world/united...PSocialNewsfeed

lmao what a cuck

Busted for smuggling ice wine

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Trapick posted:

A successful terrorist attack on home turf between now and the election would pretty much seal the deal for Trump.

Excelsiortothemax posted:

So where can I get in on that action?

The site I did it on closed betting on that one but typically sports gambling websites do specials for big political events, just google em. I placed that one before Trump got the nomination, so the odds will be much tighter at this point.

There are prediction markets as well if that's more your speed.

Fun to get a bit of skin in the game for this kinda poo poo. If I win I'm buying myself a nice bottle of scotch to drink while watching the world burn.

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 22, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

That is the wussiest thing to smuggle ever.

Sauternes is better anyway, gently caress icewine.

EDIT: Actually all botrytized wines are better than icewines, and many of them are a good deal cheaper.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 22, 2016

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Uh, this is mainland China we're talking about here. Far more likely a local official was missed at bribe time and/or needed some pallets of ice wine for the next Communist party. Bit like civil forfeiture in the States where a government official can claim the wet green tea leaves they found in your garbage was :420: and seize your house.

OTOH the dude hung out with Harper so maybe they'll put him in with the Falun Gong prisoners and live harvest his organs.

edit: The blog is called "Hongcouver". :stare: I guess a racial slur from my student days has been rehabilitated?

Hexigrammus fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 22, 2016

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Hexigrammus posted:

the next Communist party

that's gonna be my next nickname

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Hexigrammus posted:

OTOH the dude hung out with Harper so maybe they'll put him in with the Falun Gong prisoners and live harvest his organs.

Odd aside, but there was a woman at Bloor and Lansdowne today, collecting signatures for a petition to end organ harvesting in China.

I wasn't aware that was policy. Also, I'm unsure how much Canada has to say on the subject.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Hexigrammus posted:

edit: The blog is called "Hongcouver". :stare: I guess a racial slur from my student days has been rehabilitated?

Read: http://www.scmp.com/news/world/united-states-canada/article/1947202/if-name-hongcouver-blog-racist-what-about-vanchina

Ian Young posted:

PS: I have recently considered changing the blog’s name to the VanChina Monologues, but I doubt this would get past my editor.

:laugh:

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 22, 2016

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

namaste faggots posted:

this is what happens when you raise a generation of kids on promoting their self esteem instead of making them fail at hard subjects like math everyone
My math is fine, thanks. I'll start paying attentions to Silver's continually-updating forecasts the minute he starts accepting bets against them (at odds tied to the current forecast). Nov. 8th is >3 months away; saying that Clinton has a 60.2% of winning doesn't mean a whole lot. A hundred different global or domestic events could seriously shift things one way or the other. Do I think it's going to be Clinton? Absolutely. But too many roads lead to Trump.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
I was thinking today how great it would be to live in the v4g 1n4 area code. That's my shitpost for the day, welp, cya.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Trapick posted:

But too many roads lead to Trump.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

:kheldragar:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Meat Recital posted:

I was thinking today how great it would be to live in the v4g 1n4 area code. That's my shitpost for the day, welp, cya.

No it's not, you'd be in Delta.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Meat Recital posted:

Tilbury Island looks like a lovely place to live, so not great, conversational area code notwithstanding

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

less than three posted:

No it's not, you'd be in Delta.

Being from Delta is my biggest shame

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
At least it has good tandoori

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Not that loving garbage from vijs

I loving hate that place

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

vyelkin posted:

Democrats currently have a built in advantage in electoral college votes and can lose a number of swing states while still winning the election with safe blue states.
Not just the Electoral College: the Democrats have won the popular vote in five of the last six elections. The Republicans have been facing a huge uphill battle in presidential elections for over twenty years now.

Trapick posted:

My math is fine, thanks. I'll start paying attentions to Silver's continually-updating forecasts the minute he starts accepting bets against them (at odds tied to the current forecast). Nov. 8th is >3 months away; saying that Clinton has a 60.2% of winning doesn't mean a whole lot. A hundred different global or domestic events could seriously shift things one way or the other. Do I think it's going to be Clinton? Absolutely. But too many roads lead to Trump.
Not really. If Trump loses Florida, he practically has no chance; he'll have to run the board on practically every other swing state in order to win. And Trump is very unlikely to win Florida. By contrast, the Dems have much more breathing room:

This is the 2012 election, with a +5% swing to the GOP (a further .7% swing or so would flip Colorado).

e: Also, when bringing up Brexit, it's important to note the U.S. is not nearly as white as the U.K.

SoggyBobcat fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 22, 2016

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

namaste faggots posted:

Really blows my mind how few people actually understand probabilities

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

and here I thought an ethnic han would understand just how loving POPULAR that poo poo is in asia

my 2nd year in korea I brought my co-teachers, principal and vice-principal little bottles of ice wine and holy poo poo you'd thought I had given them holy water, I got so much leeway from them after that

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

I'm likely a pissant middle manager who pisses off IT with worthless requests. There is no content within my posts other than a garbage act akin to a know-it-all, which likely is how I behave in real life. It's really hard for me to comprehend how much I am hated by everyone.
Respect for public servants indeed. Six months for this breach to make its way from "senior officials" to the Minister. Foote is not very good at her job.

quote:

A dysfunctional compensation system that's withholding paycheques from federal workers has also been breaching their privacy, CBC News has learned.

Newly released documents show senior officials were warned as early as Jan. 18 that the new Phoenix system has a flaw that allows widespread access to employees' personnel records, including social insurance numbers.

Shared Services Canada 'can work' says Minister in wake of latest critical incident
Despite the warning, the faulty software was broadly implemented this spring — without alerting the unions or any employees that their private details were no longer secure.

Chris Aylward
Chris Aylward, vice-president of the Public Service Alliance of Canada, says he's furious the union was not told of a major privacy flaw in the federal government's Phoenix payroll system. (Julie Ireton/CBC )

The disclosure of a massive privacy breach appears in documents obtained by CBC News under the Access to Information Act, deepening a crisis that has already touched some 80,000 public servants and triggered a wave of hiring to patch the problems.

The briefing material prepared by Public Services and Procurement Canada indicates that up to 70,000 public servants had access to the personal details of all 300,000 employees covered by the system.

A spokeswoman for Canada's privacy commissioner confirmed the department "has reported this matter to our office and we have followed up with them." Valerie Lawton said she could provide no further details.

The minister in charge, Judy Foote, said she learned only this week of the internal breach of private information. "I am aware of it, and I've been told that none of the information became public," she said in an interview.

Over to privacy commissioner

Foote said she has turned the matter over to the privacy commissioner for investigation, and will focus on getting people paid.

An official of a union representing 140,000 federal workers said he learned of the privacy breach on Tuesday from CBC News.

Judy Foote
Public Services Minister Judy Foote says she was not made aware of a major privacy issue with the Phoenix payroll system until this week. Her officials knew of the problem in January. (CBC)

"This is the first time we're hearing about this," Chris Aylward, vice-president of the Public Service Alliance of Canada, said in an interview.

"It's another demonstration of how much of a boondoggle this whole Phoenix system really has become now.… It has just become appalling to us, to say the least."

Unfortunately, this is not an unforeseen situation.
- April 2016 briefing document noting privacy-breach issue was known in January 2016.
The released documents show that information about the privacy breach was removed from a key accountability document, called a Privacy Impact Assessment, that the department must compile whenever a new program or system like Phoenix is introduced that could affect privacy.

Details about the Phoenix privacy flaw were purged from the report on Jan. 21, after department officials assured that "the issue had been resolved."

In fact, the flaw persisted at least through April and was identified as "material" with the "highest risk impact" because of the potential for identity theft. As one document noted: "Unfortunately, this is not an unforeseen situation."

The department has been assuring all government employees for months that Phoenix protects their privacy, with one document stating: "Phoenix is secure and will ensure that your personal information is protected."

The Phoenix system was supposed to allow only designated human resource individuals within a department to have access to the personnel records of workers within the same department.

Phoenix falling

CBC Ottawa has been collecting stories from civil servants, part-time employees and student workers who have been affected by the Phoenix payroll system problems. Here are some of their stories:

• Phoenix problems make public servant feel 'penalized'
  • Public servant not getting any health or dental benefits
  • Cancer survivor unpaid since return to work
  • Single mom maxed out after 2 months without pay
  • Without pay, student caught in desperate catch-22

But the flaw allowed thousands of designated officials to get access to records of every worker in every department.

Scott Brison
Treasury Board President Scott Brison has blamed the Phoenix payroll problems on the previous government. (Paul Palmeter/CBC)

It was not immediately clear whether the flaw has been corrected. Foote said department officials would provide a briefing about the issue on Thursday.

The documents say that the flaw is in violation of Section 8 of the Privacy Act, which says that personal information shall not be disclosed, without consent, except for the purpose it was obtained or compiled for, or for a use consistent with that purpose. And they warn Ottawa could be subject to legal action.

Foote and Treasury Board President Scott Brison have each blamed the previous government for the Phoenix boondoggle, though the decision to roll out the system occurred earlier this year under the Liberal government's watch.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/privacy-phoenix-judy-foote-missing-paycheques-breach-1.3685866

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009

vyelkin posted:

Trump is fighting a poorly organized uphill battle against a very well-oiled political machine that will feature Clinton's chief rival for the nomination and a popular incumbent president both campaigning hard for her.

We shouldn't start panicking that Trump is going to win the election, repeal NAFTA, annex Canada, and then not defend the arctic just yet.

I agree it's unlikely that Trump will win, I just would feel much more comfortable if some moderately bright mid-level bureaucrats are working on some contingency plans now. I mean, the absolutely worst thing that could come from creating plans is that some government workers did some useful training. But if Trump is elected, having something already down on paper would make a big difference for the government's response.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Break off diplomatic relations with the USA if Trump wins, imo

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

Break off diplomatic relations with the USA if Trump wins, imo

I think being a little worried is a valid response. But its not worth building a bunker over. Half he poo poo he claims he would do would never get passed in the political system even if he did somehow win.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

I think being a little worried is a valid response. But its not worth building a bunker over. Half he poo poo he claims he would do would never get passed in the political system even if he did somehow win.

Why did Bugs Bunny also cut off Canada's territories?

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

namaste faggots posted:

I loving hate that place

I usually enjoy your gimmick but today you crossed a line.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

infernal machines posted:

Odd aside, but there was a woman at Bloor and Lansdowne today, collecting signatures for a petition to end organ harvesting in China.

I wasn't aware that was policy. Also, I'm unsure how much Canada has to say on the subject.

Yeah, to me it sounded like the usual accusations of cannibalism leveled by one group at another they want to paint as "primitives".

And then some archaeologist goes and digs up a cache of human bones with butcher cuts on them.

Don't know anything about the group publishing the report but some of the evidence seems solid - scientific papers on how to properly stop a beating heart and heparinize it before cutting it out, and the patents for the brain stem injury inducing machine are a bit :stare:. There's also a voice recording floating around of a investigator posing as a potential patient discussing live vs dead transplant organs and being assured she would only be getting the very best quality live organs. That and the 680 page report are guaranteed to ruin your day. :suicide:

We probably have as much to say about this as we do about the U.S. executing mentally handicapped people or randomly shooting melanin endowed citizens. We should probably make sure though that anyone who likes standing around in parks listening to their breathing is classified as a political refugee so they can get the hell out of mainland China.

Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know

Health Services posted:

I agree it's unlikely that Trump will win, I just would feel much more comfortable if some moderately bright mid-level bureaucrats are working on some contingency plans now. I mean, the absolutely worst thing that could come from creating plans is that some government workers did some useful training. But if Trump is elected, having something already down on paper would make a big difference for the government's response.

You'd probably feel much more comfortable if the democrats didn't pick the absolute worst possible choice to run. If they would of picked the guy who mops the floor at the DNC we'd probably be looking at a Mondale level rear end kicking of Trump.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Well, this is horrifying. Thank you.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

namaste faggots posted:

I loving hate that place

There's some off-shoot in Victoria people were raving about that just does take-out lunch stuff but with all the sauces and everything direct from vijs. It tasted fully mall food-court quality in a lovely little cardboard box with a plastic fork and lunch-for-one portions for like $17.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Hey V6TA I'm in Calgary in two weeks, is Charcut as good as it sounds?

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

I'm likely a pissant middle manager who pisses off IT with worthless requests. There is no content within my posts other than a garbage act akin to a know-it-all, which likely is how I behave in real life. It's really hard for me to comprehend how much I am hated by everyone.

MA-Horus posted:

Hey V6TA I'm in Calgary in two weeks, is Charcut as good as it sounds?

Gaucho Brazilian Barbecue is a phenomenal place to eat.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Here's how a calgarian cooks steak:

1) burn the gently caress out of it
2) lol

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

SoggyBobcat posted:

Not just the Electoral College: the Democrats have won the popular vote in five of the last six elections. The Republicans have been facing a huge uphill battle in presidential elections for over twenty years now.

Not really. If Trump loses Florida, he practically has no chance; he'll have to run the board on practically every other swing state in order to win. And Trump is very unlikely to win Florida. By contrast, the Dems have much more breathing room:

This is the 2012 election, with a +5% swing to the GOP (a further .7% swing or so would flip Colorado).

e: Also, when bringing up Brexit, it's important to note the U.S. is not nearly as white as the U.K.

The problem here is that unexpected events could shift the race in ways that are difficult to predict. A major terrorist attack, an assassination, etc. No electoral model could possibly have predicted that RFK would be murdered just prior to the end of the primary but it happened and the political ramifications of that single event are still felt today.

The conventional picture says Trump will lose, what is puzzling is that people are apparently unaware that the intervening months may change this situation in ways that the model can't predict. People who are claiming to be good at maths are somehow mistaking a low probability event for an impossibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

namaste faggots posted:

Here's how a calgarian cooks steak:

1) burn the gently caress out of it
2) lol

3) ketchup