Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Hell, in RS (and maybe Emerald) you literally cannot get even one copy of the TM for Flamethrower outside of the Game Corner. :argh: (This might be why I hate the Game Corner.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Honestly as far as dumb things gamefreak has done with the postgame, I miss the random dungeons of black and white 2 the most.
Those were actually fun unlike the hardcore battle challenge places they keep doing.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

I will say, I didn't enjoy most of the 'alternate' Battle Facilities in the other games. They really weren't that engaging to me, and often felt even more heavily RNG-dependent than what we got now in Gen VI. The only one I actually remember liking was the Single Species challenge, though I never got the Gold Print for that one.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Battle Pike, Palace, Dojo, Pyramid and sometimes Factory were all poo poo.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Battle Factory is better than the actual game itself

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

archduke.iago posted:

Battle Factory is better than the actual game itself

I wouldn't go that far, but it's definitely the most fun Battle [foo] I've tried.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Actually, looking over the Gen IV Battle Frontier, I now remember what my favorite facility actually was. The Battle Castle. I thought the idea of managing my Castle Points and working my way through was really fun and engaging.

The Battle Tower is rather plain, admittedly, but in Gen VI, the Maison at least lets you try out the battle formats you normally don't get to do that much other than Inverse.

The Battle Factory I never liked. I don't like using Rentals, I especially don't like having to guess about my Rentals.

The Battle Arcade? :fuckoff: is all I have to say to it and it RNG.

The Battle Hall was the only one I really ever felt engaged by, but once you get the Silver Print, it just felt like it became a slog to clear out every bloody type. She won't rematch you until you get a one-hundred and seventy god drat streak.

On a bit of happier news: I just finally got my Trophy in the ORAS Triple Maison. Choice-Specs Sylveon, Greninja and smogonbirdTalonflame really carried the day.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I recall one in Emerald that was actually pretty fun. The one where you picked from a set of pokemon you dont own, battle opponents, and then trade out your pokemon for one of theirs. Had some fun and interesting party set ups and was a good way to use pokemon you normally wouldn't get a chance to.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Arcade Rabbit posted:

I recall one in Emerald that was actually pretty fun. The one where you picked from a set of pokemon you dont own, battle opponents, and then trade out your pokemon for one of theirs. Had some fun and interesting party set ups and was a good way to use pokemon you normally wouldn't get a chance to.

That's Battle Factory.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

FoolyCharged posted:

Honestly as far as dumb things gamefreak has done with the postgame, I miss the random dungeons of black and white 2 the most.
Those were actually fun unlike the hardcore battle challenge places they keep doing.

I prefer some post-game story content like in ORAS, but more involved.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Geostomp posted:

I prefer some post-game story content like in ORAS, but more involved.

Agreed, I want all the dumb JRPG in my Pokemon.

Or hell, I'd settle for more Looker stories like XY had. Since it seems Looker needs to be in every game now.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'm not a fan of the Battle Tower/Frontier/whatever. I play Pokemon for the rich storylines and engaging characters

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 30: Nice Ice Price, Pryce Baby!

Route 43

"thugs in black."

: They left this behind. It makes me uncomfortable. Could you take it away?

: Use this gate to avoid walking in the grass.

We're gonna do a couple of things before we take on the Gym, such as picking up the best TM for Mothra. Sludge Bomb (Hedoro Bakudan) is a Poison move with 90BP, 10PP and 100% accuracy and a 30% chance of poisoning the opponent. It's very easily the best Poison move in, well, the franchise. Poison types that can't learn this move, such as Crobat, or Venusaur, definitely miss out. This is the main reason why I picked up Venonat here, as having a good STAB move nearby makes it much more usable.

Now that the signal is gone, the Lake of Rage is back to normal and there's a couple new things we can do.

: I may yet realize my dream of seeing the world's largest MAGIKARP. Do you have a ROD? Please help me if you do.

Well this is something that pops up every few games or so: bringing a Pokemon of a certain size to a guy. It seems pretty random, but if you bring a Magikarp larger than 41.9 inches, you'll get an Ether. That's it. I have no idea how the game calculates Pokemon size, probably by picking a random number or whatever.

Indeed, the only Water Pokemon you can catch in this area are Magikarp and Gyarados.

I believe this is the Moon Stone, which is the final item Mom buys for you. But not the final thing Mom gets you.

"caught!"

Fish fish fish.

Same.

"POKéMON all day."

I'm doing that too, but thankfully we've got a bit of a dry spell before the next large batch of catchables.

: It's gone? Oh, darn. I came here for nothing? I know--let's battle!

HP: 73 | ATK: 76 | DEF: 75 | SP.ATK: 81 | SP.DEF: 100 | SPD: 100 | TOTAL: 505
#126: Ninetales

"pink BUTTERFREE."

A shiny Butterfree??? Nah, it wouldn't suit pink.

Alright, time for the Gym. I did miss one of the trainers, but I'll get him before we head to Blackthorn.

Pokemon Gym

: He's said to be good at freezing opponents with ice-type moves. That means you should melt him with your burning ambition!

All I really have is my BURNING SPIRITU. I am a shonen protagonist after all.

HP: 90 | ATK: 70 | DEF: 80 | SP.ATK: 70 | SP.DEF: 95 | SPD: 70 | TOTAL: 475
#177: Dewgong

"about my skills..."

That crit saved me a good three minutes.

"can't do a thing!"

Good luck freezing me with your PIECE OF poo poo

Mothra's basically caught up. And just in time to participate in the Gym battle.

Yeah, I'll probably keep Flame Wheel on Kakarott for a while, cause it's different.

Yaaaaaay, ice puzzles. This one has been burned into my psyche, so we won't be having any problems with them in Gen 2. Maybe not for Gen 4.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

The secret behind his low, low ice prices?

Level ups for all.

: He meditates under a waterfall daily to strengthen his mind and body.

But thinking is hard!

HP: 65 | ATK: 50 | DEF: 35 | SP.ATK: 115 | SP.DEF: 95 | SPD: 95 | TOTAL: 455
#153: Jynx

I'm precisely skating around to all the trainers for experience!

: It's fun, isn't it? But hey--we're not playing games here!

...?

HP: 50 | ATK: 50 | DEF: 40 | SP.ATK: 30 | SP.DEF: 30 | SPD: 50 | TOTAL: 250
#191: Swinub

"with my POKéMON!"

One day, I will be radical like you, home dog.

The path to the leader is pretty obvious, so let's make sure Mothra is ready for her first Gym battle.

: I, too, have seen and suffered much in my life. Since I am your elder, let me show you what I mean. I have been with POKéMON since before you were born. I do not lose easily. I PRYCE--the winter trainer--shall demonstrate my power!

Gym Leader Battle :siren: VS Leader Pryce :siren:

Pryce: The Teacher of Winter's Harshness
(Pryce is from, well, ice. That's all Bulbapedia has. Wonderful.)
Yanagi: Teacher of Winter's Harshness
(Yanagi is the Japanese name for the Willow tree. Willow is Pryce's middle name.)

So Pryce is a pretty disappointing Gym Leader. Ice is a cool type to fight (no pun intended), but having lower levels than the previous leader, along with two Pokemon that are practically the same, just makes it a mediocre fight. Still, we'll give it a go, especially because I want to put off what's coming up next.

Well that Seel was very notable. Probably. I wasn't paying attention. Icy Wind (Kogoeru Kaze: Chilling Wind) is an Ice move with 55BP, 15PP and 95% accuracy that lowers the opponent's Speed by one stage. While it can be useful, usually a Pokemon can just learn Ice Punch instead, which is a better TM that you can obtain more than once.

Man, I've had this fight like thrice in this Gym so far.

I do not have the patience for this bullshit right now. Onto the final Pokemon.

HP: 100 | ATK: 100 | DEF: 80 | SP.ATK: 60 | SP.DEF: 60 | SPD: 50 | TOTAL: 450
#192: Piloswine

So, since Piloswine won't be much of a threat, let's at least see what it can do.

Despite having a great Attack stat, this Piloswine only knows one physical move! The Ice moves it has won't really do much, especially since we have Jeremiah out.

The dangers of using Blizzard (Fubuki), a good Ice move with 120BP, 5PP and 70% accuracy and a 10% chance of freezing the opponent. Since it's accuracy is lower than last gen, Ice Beam is a better move, but it's risk versus reward, really. So choose whatever. It's best paired with Hail, but this Piloswine's got Mist instead! Wonderful.

I wish this was a more interesting fight, but they can't all be winners. Maybe next time.

: With your strong will, I know you will overcome all life's obstacles. You are worth of this BADGE!

Pokemon Gym

Ooh, our power levelling paid off!

While an evolved Mothra would've been nice for the Gym, it didn't make much of a difference.

gently caress off.

"stats of POKéMON."

: It also lets your POKéMON use WHIRLPOOL to across real whirlpools. And this... This is a gift from me!

: That TM contains ICY WIND. It inflicts damage and lowers speed. It demonstrates the harshness of winter.

: When the ice and snow melt, spring arrives. You and your POKéMON will be together for many years to come. Cherish your time together!

What a cool guy.

"something else!"

: That was a hot battle that bridged the generation gap!

Only one more to go! Crazy to think at this point in the Yellow LP, we were practically done with the game. In fact, Yellow only had 30 updates! Man, that game was fuckin small...

HP: 70 | ATK: 65 | DEF: 60 | SP.ATK: 90 | SP.DEF: 75 | SPD: 90 | TOTAL: 450
#109: Venomoth

Mahogany Town

Oh, it's the timid guy. Has the other Pokemon been stolen too? I also just realized I haven't called my MOM since, like, Goldenrod and I feel bad. Who the hell put me in charge of this trainwreck LP?

: I called because something weird is happening with the radio broadcasts. They were talking about TEAM ROCKET. MARINA, do you know anything about it? Maybe TEAM ROCKET has returned. No, that just can't be be true. Sorry to bug you. Take care!

Oh no

Rocket Radio Transmission

: After three years of preparation, we have risen again from the ashes! GIOVANNI! Can you hear? We did it? Where is our boss? Is he listening?

Hey, let's just ignore all that bullshit and see how our team is doing, woah! Kakarott is, unfortunately, more or less the same. He hasn't really done all that much since he hasn't changed all that much. Soon he'll be more useful, but right now, he's just a bit meh.

Jeremiah is also pretty meh, but like Kakarott, will become very useful and very different very soon. In what way? Well, you'll just have to find out. But man, her low Special Attack is starting to make her a pain to use.

Churchill doesn't really need to change, as she kicks rear end no problem all by herself. I might make a couple changes to her moveset, but right now, she does what she needs to do, which is good, as she's not exactly going to improve a huge amount any time soon.

While Helios is a long while yet from being remotely fitting of his stats, he still hurts like hell thanks to the Friend Ball. He shouldn't see too many drastic changes to his movepool until much later when we actually get the drat moves he wants.

And finally, newest addition Mothra has caught up quite nicely. Sure her moveset isn't too great right now, but with her flipped stats, she can be very interesting indeed. She's still got a few things to learn, so eventually, she'll be pretty darn sweet.

Goldenrod City

Alright, let's see what's going on here.

Mafia out on the streets, while the residents hide away. Now where have I seen that before?

Oh, that's why he's outside the Game Corner. Sneaky bastard.

: It was such a long struggle...

I think it is my business. Mainly because the plot won't progress unless I do something about it, so... as much as I don't want to because it's kind of a boring slog...

Next time, we fight a load of weak trainers. It's gonna be great fun, I'm sure.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 22, 2016

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Seeing Mothra only reminds me of the shiny Venonat I had in Crystal, my first and only Shiny obtained without any sort of help (all of my current shinies are either from the Friend Safari, Masuda Method, given as shinies or from Wonder Trade; and even in Crystal my other two shinies were from the Mystery Egg and the Red Gyarados).

And we have here a great example of Gen 2's terrible level curve. Making you able to tackle the Gyms here as you wished was a nice idea...but the execution was poor, as shown. And this is just a preview of what's to come, too.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Yeah, any time people clamor for an open world pokemon game I think of GenII and the Back half of the first game and wonder what they're smoking.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
Pryce was wearing hardly anything in that sprite. In the big ice room.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Has this series ever had an Ice gym that didn't use the loving sliding puzzles?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Cheez posted:

Pryce was wearing hardly anything in that sprite. In the big ice room.
Which is why I like his Gen 4 redesign a lot. Not only does it look sensible for an Ice gym, but it gives him some added character with his snappy appearance. It's a lot better than his original design, which more or less pulled from a retirement community outfit.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Seeing Mothra only reminds me of the shiny Venonat I had in Crystal, my first and only Shiny obtained without any sort of help (all of my current shinies are either from the Friend Safari, Masuda Method, given as shinies or from Wonder Trade; and even in Crystal my other two shinies were from the Mystery Egg and the Red Gyarados).

And we have here a great example of Gen 2's terrible level curve. Making you able to tackle the Gyms here as you wished was a nice idea...but the execution was poor, as shown. And this is just a preview of what's to come, too.

For me it's not even the level curve here as much the amount of Team Rocket you have to deal with. The LP doesn't really convey just how quickly you can get from "hidden Rocket HQ" to the upcoming tower. If you have a good team for the ice gym, it's literally like an hour of gameplay.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

What amuses me is that now with VGC, Icy Wind has shot up in popularity. Hits both members of the enemy team with a speed down, and some damage that often super effective against some of the bigger threats, like Mega Salamence. Was watching the Italy and US National Championships, and every team had at least one user of the move. Not bad for a move that could be considered kinda garbage otherwise.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like how Team Rocket's final plan is to hijack the radio stations and ask senpai to notice them.

Come on, guys, radio's dead! It's all podcasts and Spotify now!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

I like how Team Rocket's final plan is to hijack the radio stations and ask senpai to notice them.

That wasn't the case back in 1998, though!

Then again, I admire their efforts to keep going after their latest plan was stopped by a guy who is willing to frag people with Hyper Beam.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Everything after Morty is just a long soggy middle to this game. The flatline level of trainers. The weaksauce gyms. The first Rocket hideout. And we haven't even hit the worst part yet.

Oh no, that's still coming.

Gen 2 might have been one of the strongest generations, but the main playthrough is definitely not part of that.

Good to see the team shaping up, though!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
No more games! :getin:

Also, I guess training under waterfalls is a Gen 2 Gym Leader thing. I can't remember if they changed that about Pryce in Gen 4 or if they kept it the same.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

No more games! :getin:

Also, I guess training under waterfalls is a Gen 2 Gym Leader thing. I can't remember if they changed that about Pryce in Gen 4 or if they kept it the same.

Nah, but I am sure I've heard that about Crasher Wake as well, so I guess it's a water-type leaders thing.

FoolyCharged posted:

Yeah, any time people clamor for an open world pokemon game I think of GenII and the Back half of the first game and wonder what they're smoking.
Eh, if they did it like Pokemon Origin showed, where Brock goes "Huh, you have no badges? Okay I'll just use two out of my six Pokemon for you" it could work. Although that would mean making 8 teams for every gym leader, 7 of which you'd never see, so I guess it's not worth the effort. But it could be a way to show off a lot of monotype teams sooo... I dunno.

It could work.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I love how pathetic Team Rocket is in this game. "Please Giovanni come back we miss you"

There's a very clear reason Pokemon Special just decided to go whole hog inventing a new reason for the bad guys to do bad guy things.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Swinub is just the cutest thing. A little bundle of fur with a nose to boop :allears:
Oh and Team Rocket part 3, at least this time without the bomb floor.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Kikas posted:

Nah, but I am sure I've heard that about Crasher Wake as well, so I guess it's a water-type leaders thing.

Eh, if they did it like Pokemon Origin showed, where Brock goes "Huh, you have no badges? Okay I'll just use two out of my six Pokemon for you" it could work. Although that would mean making 8 teams for every gym leader, 7 of which you'd never see, so I guess it's not worth the effort. But it could be a way to show off a lot of monotype teams sooo... I dunno.

It could work.

But that wouldn't work for other trainers, as you could render the game unwinnable if you beat everyone before the first gym. And you'd have to do something about the trainers because slogging through a ton of fights 10-20 levels above everyone else isn't fun. I guess wild stuff could scale too, but forcing someone to grind because they didn't find a gym seems like bad choice.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Swinub is just the cutest thing. A little bundle of fur with a nose to boop :allears:
Oh and Team Rocket part 3, at least this time without the bomb floor.

Agreed, it's so cute :3:
I caught one in my first Gold run and trained it up a good 10 levels or so. But it was so frustrating to use thanks to a combo of low stats and Gen II movepools, I gave up on it after those 10 levels. I remember being very frustrated that it was so cute but hadn't evolved yet at level 32.

I found out years later that Swinub evolves at level 33.

I think its Gen IV evolution is pretty good in terms of movepool and stats, but the design just doesn't look right. At least it's not as bad as Magmortar and Rhyperior.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I swear to god if you took Jeremiah over Hynpotoad an you evolve Jeremiah into a Poliwrath, I will be so upset :saddowns:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Solumin posted:

Agreed, it's so cute :3:
I caught one in my first Gold run and trained it up a good 10 levels or so. But it was so frustrating to use thanks to a combo of low stats and Gen II movepools, I gave up on it after those 10 levels. I remember being very frustrated that it was so cute but hadn't evolved yet at level 32.

I found out years later that Swinub evolves at level 33.

I think its Gen IV evolution is pretty good in terms of movepool and stats, but the design just doesn't look right. At least it's not as bad as Magmortar and Rhyperior.

Yeah, I kinda really don't like Mamosqune because it just straight up looks like a mammoth with a pig nose and not a furball with woolly mammoth features, like how piloswine is just a buffalo pig that still looks like a pig. At least piloswine's bases are pretty decent.

Steel Folk Blues
Apr 26, 2014
I was surprised to see the origin of Piloswine's name related to its hair. I had always assumed "Piloswine" was a corruption of "Pliocene", an epoch in the Cenozoic Era when mastodons were around. It made sense to me given its evolution and I never questioned it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I thought it was just a corruption of "pile of swine". :v:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Those could both be correct, but all I have is what bulbapedia tells me, cause I am very lazy.

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

Has this series ever had an Ice gym that didn't use the loving sliding puzzles?

Wulfric in Gen VI had a rotating gym puzzle, with the only sliding blocks being your path back to the start of the gym after defeating him.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Waffleman_ posted:

Neo Team Rocket is just the saddest villain team in the series.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

With the most forgettable leader. Even in the remake.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Team

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Rocket's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Rocket

• Locked thread