Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Simulacra posted:

Is ryu a wizard?

he knows firebolt and fireball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Insensitive posted:

How on earth does Ryu only weigh 150lbs??? His arms probably weigh 50lbs each.

Clearly it's his Fighting Street weight.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Sagat's weight is still the best and stupidest

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Simulacra posted:

Is ryu a wizard?

He's shootin fuckin fireballs out of his hands all day you tell me

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Dias posted:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/haunts/blog/2016/07/21/juri-joins-the-street-fighter-v-roster

Also nothing but eh, someone has to talk about SFV in this Street Fighter The Fifth Vee thread.

Strider Ibuki is new to me, cool.

capcom posted:

What has Juri been up to since defeating Seth? Why is she back? Be sure to check out the free  story DLC “A Shadow Falls” to find out!

I dunno if I zoned out during the story mode but I feel like I don't have the answers to those questions, even though I played through it.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

She was just taking a motorcycle ride around the planet and happened to run into some of her buds.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

maybe this exposes me as a person who Doesn't Play This Game, but after really trying to learn guilty gear, I just cant come back to this. It feels insanely incomplete, and not just in relation to GG. So many random fightcade games feel better as well. This and USFIV were good gateway drugs, but I just cant bring myself to play a worse game.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Booyah- posted:

maybe this exposes me as a person who Doesn't Play This Game, but after really trying to learn guilty gear, I just cant come back to this. It feels insanely incomplete, and not just in relation to GG. So many random fightcade games feel better as well. This and USFIV were good gateway drugs, but I just cant bring myself to play a worse game.

Maybe you will be the chosen one then, the one who learns to stop playing a game you burn your free time on if you don't like it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Gorp posted:

I can't place my finger on exactly why it is, but the longer the game is out the more I feel like SFV was trying to get the MOBA audience.

A friend of mine who doesn't play fighting games tuned into Evo and was asking me about the different "heroes" lol.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Booyah- posted:

gonna break this down.

Doesn't play sfv - good
trying to leard xrd - great
fightcade - excellent

Booyah is a good name for you

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Evil Canadian posted:

Maybe you will be the chosen one then, the one who learns to stop playing a game you burn your free time on if you don't like it.

i already dont play the game you loving idiot

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Booyah- posted:

i already dont play the game you loving idiot

I could be wrong but I think he was praising you.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Golden Battler posted:

I could be wrong but I think he was praising you.

ok sure. theres just a lot of WHY CRITICIZE THE GAME IF YOU DONT EVEN PLAY IT in this thread so I may be hyper-sensitive

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

I don't necessarily care for those who go crazy on the negativity, but those who hate the game vehemently while still playing it are out and out mentally ill, so good job not being one of those :)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Canadian posted:

I don't necessarily care for those who go crazy on the negativity, but those who hate the game vehemently while still playing it are out and out mentally ill, so good job not being one of those :)

I agree

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Evil Canadian posted:

But does criticizing it for its flaws but still liking it and playing it make one also out and out mentally ill? Or only half? A quarter?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

But does criticizing it for its flaws but still liking it and playing it make one also out and out mentally ill? Or only half? A quarter?

It makes you totally fine :)

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

can you honestly say that everything you like and enjoy is completely perfect and flawless? complaining about the problems that exist in a patchable game or in an influential game that stands to change how new games are made is not only fine but necessary if you truly enjoy the game or genre in general.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Evil Canadian posted:

goddamn this one hits close to home

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Zand posted:

can you honestly say that everything you like and enjoy is completely perfect and flawless? complaining about the problems that exist in a patchable game or in an influential game that stands to change how new games are made is not only fine but necessary if you truly enjoy the game or genre in general.

:agreed:

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

Booyah- posted:

ok sure. theres just a lot of WHY CRITICIZE THE GAME IF YOU DONT EVEN PLAY IT in this thread so I may be hyper-sensitive

I thought I had seen a similar misinterpretation earlier in the thread. Made me think that, perhaps, the vitriol being thrown around in the thread has reached such a sustained point, that the lines between slights and praises are beginning to blur.

But the last 5 pages didn't seem too abnormal, so, eh.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Lothire posted:

I thought I had seen a similar misinterpretation earlier in the thread. Made me think that, perhaps, the vitriol being thrown around in the thread has reached such a sustained point, that the lines between slights and praises are beginning to blur.

But the last 5 pages didn't seem too abnormal, so, eh.

Only way to find out is fightcade tourny.

And the guy doing it's: set date and time

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I still find it impossible to reliably tech throws or block cross ups from half the cast yet I enjoy this game. Sat there for an hour at my locals getting bodied (I took one round off him playing sim) by some guy playing random select despite trying pretty hard to learn what I'm supposed to be doing.

A lot of the criticism in this thread seems to be to make it more like this game or that game, but they are all unplayable to a scrub like me. I've tried every 2D fighter released since marvel vanilla and with the exception of marvel of all things for some reason they are all impenetrable.

A lot of the changes in SFV are clearly aimed at people like me who want to play but find most fighting games too obtuse. So if you are actually wanting to criticise the game for the choices, it probably should take into account what they were trying to do and not what you want them to do.

Or whatever fingerpuzzles/kappa twitch chat meme you want to go with.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Fellblade posted:

I still find it impossible to reliably tech throws or block cross ups from half the cast yet I enjoy this game. Sat there for an hour at my locals getting bodied (I took one round off him playing sim) by some guy playing random select despite trying pretty hard to learn what I'm supposed to be doing.

A lot of the criticism in this thread seems to be to make it more like this game or that game, but they are all unplayable to a scrub like me. I've tried every 2D fighter released since marvel vanilla and with the exception of marvel of all things for some reason they are all impenetrable.

A lot of the changes in SFV are clearly aimed at people like me who want to play but find most fighting games too obtuse. So if you are actually wanting to criticise the game for the choices, it probably should take into account what they were trying to do and not what you want them to do.

Or whatever fingerpuzzles/kappa twitch chat meme you want to go with.

Maybe stop making grand judgments about the entire history of fighting games when the entire reason you like sf5 is because you're permanently too poo poo for anything else. And I have to say I'm suspecting youre poo poo at 5 too. Finger puzzles

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
i would criticize more in detail but that post is so loving stupid its like unwrapping a pompous orange

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I am too poo poo and the game is made for people too poo poo!

E: also grand judgements about the history of fighting games lol

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i really want to setup fightcade on my arcade cab but i can't be assed to

someday

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

dangerdoom volvo posted:

i would criticize more in detail but that post is so loving stupid its like unwrapping a pompous orange

You need counselling.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I get what I'm meant to do in fighting games and have a head for anticipating what other people will do, but my execution has always been dogshit and I have old man reactions now. The only game I've ever been good at is Melee (and maybe Soul Calibur 2) because I picked Peach and was able to bypass all the execution in that game and rely on knowing how my opponents would act.

The issue is that makes this a problem I'm a competitive person so I want to play to a standard that I feel is acceptable. So in Marvel an acceptable standard would be to master an OTG combo for all three of my characters. So I would spend months in the lab trying to get this down and just couldn't do it which made actually playing the game feel like a chore, even if I was improving.

This means I end up enjoying SF more than I do GG or Marvel because the execution floor is a lot lower and I can play to the standard I want to. (Perhaps unsurprisingly I play Laura in V)

Whilst I accept that SFV is a bad game, it is fundamentally always going to be more fun for me than better games because it's much more suited to my style of play. It's just sad that Capcom shat the bed so badly and there isn't something in SFV's style that I can play.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

You need counselling.

probably but pointing out dumb posts is not the reason

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

dangerdoom volvo posted:

probably but pointing out dumb posts is not the reason

The first step is to admit you're in denial.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I hate V less than IV because I don't have to hit one frame links to do basic combos.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Fellblade posted:

Can you cite some of these changes and how they made the game easier for you to understand?

I will grant that control has been made easier (at least combos and stuff like vskill/vtrigger being designed for casuals and pad players) but I don't think SF5 actually made the genre easier to understand or get into. There's a lot of dressing and balance changes to make new players perceive the game better but I don't think it actually serves the end goal.

I'd also take issue with defending SFV as a product for a casual and beginner audience, when the Capcom Pro Tour is a thing and keeping its schedule was more important than releasing a finished game.

Edit: SFV was definitely made for a casual audience, I just don't think it actually teaches them about fighting games better than any other game, esp with such poo poo tutorials.

Ixiggle fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 22, 2016

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Yorkshire Tea posted:

So in Marvel an acceptable standard would be to master an OTG combo for all three of my characters. So I would spend months in the lab trying to get this down and just couldn't do it
What the gently caress...?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

I hate V less than IV because I don't have to hit one frame links to do basic combos.

How many characters really needed 1-frame links, like two? Out of 44.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

How many characters really needed 1-frame links, like two? Out of 44.

Yeah. lIke two characters. Fei and Rose come to mind. Plinking made 1-frame links super easy anyway. Even unplinkable ones weren't that hard with some practice.
If anything the SJC's with Viper were way harder than links.

Partial Octopus fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 22, 2016

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Partial Octopus posted:

Yeah. lIke two characters. Fei and Rose come to mind. Plinking made 1-frame links super easy anyway. Even unplinkable ones weren't that hard with some practice.
If anything the SJC's with Viper were way harder than links.

Bison had a pretty important one too

ADTerminal
Jun 1, 2011
Isn't Rufus st.LK to st.HP a 1f link? I remember it being somewhat infamous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

ADTerminal posted:

Isn't Rufus st.LK to st.HP a 1f link? I remember it being somewhat infamous

It is, and it's quite important for him.